Spitting in food!

i8hibsh

Any 'chefs' out there or know of any 'chefs' that do this?

shame on you and shame on them

this is so wrong I can not begin to tell you and if anyone was caught doing it they should legally NEVER allowed to go near a kitchen EVER again and possible jail sentence

I swear if I worked in arestaurant and I was cooking for alex Salmond or Neil Lennon I would be 100 % professional

This kinda thing makes me sick

I remember hearing a story from some fat slob 'chef' in this place I used to work that he wiped a steak around the toilet once a customer said it wasn't cooked well enough

:Bazooka:

Not personally (that i know off :eek:)

But I hear of lots of stories

people who go to restaurants, pay good money and can't even complain if the meal is poor in fear of it being spat on

it is such a filthy cowardly act

i8hibsh pet hate # 15,215

Surely eveyone agrees. who could possibly condone such vileness?

Chad Sexington

people who go to restaurants, pay good money and can't even complain if the meal is poor in fear of it being spat on

Anyone caught tampering with a customers food in any way should be banned from working with food for life.

Anyone cowardly and spiteful enough to gob on someones food should be jailed.

I worked in some bars and restaurants when i was younger and never heard of anyone even mention this. It's just a myth i think. You might get the odd wee nerd who works for McDonald's who thinks it's funny to do something like that, but by and large Kitchens are busy places and it would be difficult for someone to pull off such a stunt without getting caught.

I know of some bad tales from people who work in these places that would have them closed down in an instant.

The Old Tolbooth

Lesson No#1 about eating out

NEVER return the food to be re done, you just know there's going to be bogeys, pish, sweat, gobs, hairs, and the works put into it.

I'd rather just get linda to complain (cos she's gobby that way and it saves me doing it) and get our money back.

I P Knightley

Whilst I wouldn't dream of condoning spitting in people's food; I find it very odd that you started this thread with no apparent provocation.

If everyone were to agree (again, I can think of no one - not even among some of our less pleasant fellow JKBers who would say, "ach, it's alright summa the time, ken, likesay") then it makes for a dull thread - not like your usual, I8!

So, perhaps, I can modify the theme slightly to stimulate some discussion:

Pi55ing in dishwashers. Where do we stand on that?

If, hypothetically, I were bursting but the shunk was occupied and I were to be about to put the dishwasher on with a full load anyway, what would be wrong with peeing into the dishwasher?

(It would have to be done in the safe knowledge that none of my colleagues would come into the staff canteen at the time, of course.)

Hypothetically, as I say.

Hypothetically.

scottish_chicP

I used to have to serve celtic a couple of years ago in a hotel and the chefs where all rangers fans. They were always 100% professional.

Also had to serve the Pieman his dinner once too :eek::mad:

Brian Whittaker's Tache

Treat restaurant staff with a little respect and you wont get your food spat in

Try and impress your date by treating restaurant staff like second class citizens and you'll be enjoying phlegm with your dinner

Paw the waitress, cos you're the man when you've had a few drinks and you know she wants it really and you'll be getting a few extras with tea.

Waiting staff are paid minimum wage and some of the crap they have to put up with from punters is unbelievable

Have a few basic manners and you'll be fine

In my first year at uni, I worked for the company that does the hospitality at Aberdeen Football Club. Anyway, it was the same company that supply ppl to work at Hampden for the big football matches, and I got roped in to working at the Hibs v Livi final a few years back.

I thought that this would be working in the executive suites, serving semi respectable hibs fans at least! However, to my horror I was put on the pie stand in the hibs end. Neway, at half time the wee jakes stormed the pie shop and I ended up telling one down and out where to go, which quickly resulted in me being put on the chip frier for the rest of the day!

Suffice to say, that I did contemplate doing something nasty, but my dignity prevailed! (well nearly);)

And they lost!

From my experience of fast food restaurants it never happened. As HoG said, its generally too busy and too 'public' to be worth it.

I'd guess its more likely in a smaller kitchen where a chef may feel afronted by someone complaining about their food. Never heard of it happening other than vague 'friend of a friend' stories.

Treat restaurant staff with a little respect and you wont get your food spat in

Try and impress your date by treating restaurant staff like second class citizens and you'll be enjoying phlegm with your dinner

Paw the waitress, cos you're the man when you've had a few drinks and you know she wants it really and you'll be getting a few extras with tea.

Waiting staff are paid minimum wage and some of the crap they have to put up with from punters is unbelievable

Have a few basic manners and you'll be fine

If only the waiters/waitresses had some;)

I recall a time when we ate out at the "Dell Inn" (think its renamed), I had to send my fish back twice as the 1st time it wasn't properly cooked, they obvioulsy put it in the microwave and reheated it, sent it back again as it was so overcooked it was disgusting.

Have never ate there again, staff had no manners or interest if you enjoyed the food or not.

Captain Lithuania
Any 'chefs' out there or know of any 'chefs' that do this?

shame on you and shame on them

this is so wrong I can not begin to tell you and if anyone was caught doing it they should legally NEVER allowed to go near a kitchen EVER again and possible jail sentence

I swear if I worked in arestaurant and I was cooking for alex Salmond or Neil Lennon I would be 100 % professional

This kinda thing makes me sick

I remember hearing a story from some fat slob 'chef' in this place I used to work that he wiped a steak around the toilet once a customer said it wasn't cooked well enough

:Bazooka:

Heard something about the China China over the road from the playhouse that their staff licked the plates clean, doubt it's true, but it put me off going back there! What if it was mad Vlad, would you spit in his food, or do something else that rhymes with spit?

Chefs are generally very very proud of their food. I imagine that on the whole they'd be furious if a waiter tampered with it.

There's a wee story in Trainspotting about a girl waiting in a pub up the town who exercises some revenge on a table of drunk English rugger types who give her a hard time. Disgusting, but funny, even from a hobo reptile like Welsh.

Used to get tld that if you asked for a burger without the 'bits' in it at Mcdonalds, they'd gob in your roll for their troubles.

The other one I know of is heating up a soup spoon so the customer burns their mouth.

Chefs are generally very very proud of their food. I imagine that on the whole they'd be furious if a waiter tampered with it.

There's a wee story in Trainspotting about a girl waiting in a pub up the town who exercises some revenge on a table of drunk English rugger types who give her a hard time. Disgusting, but funny, even from a hobo reptile like Welsh.

Yeah distugsting but funny. Think I remember what is did in the book is worse than the film but not read/seen either for a long time so might be wrong.

Guest juvehearts
Lesson No#1 about eating out

NEVER return the food to be re done, you just know there's going to be bogeys, pish, sweat, gobs, hairs, and the works put into it.

I'd rather just get linda to complain (cos she's gobby that way and it saves me doing it) and get our money back.

Utter bull & im a fully qualified chef for over 9 years & take offence to this.

i have hundered of stories to tell about customers returning foor for whatever reason & have had expreiances with customers returning food because they cannot afoard the bill or whatever.

Its an old wife tail, just like the gorgie rd mcdonalds incident with seman in the big mac relish that made the EEN.

i dont know you personally john, but you go to ANY reptuiable resturaunt & you WONT get anything of the sort.

from a chef POV a well done steak is the most returned piece of food going, along with cold pasta & soup.

if this is the case i can asure you that the steak would be re cooked & the pasta or soup put in the bucket & re cooked.

think about it from a chef's POV, IF a customer returns food, what have they put in it so they can sue us for?!

works both way's

Juve

Maxies Bistro, Johnstone Terrace, Edinburgh, EH1 2PW

Yeah distugsting but funny. Think I remember what is did in the book is worse than the film but not read/seen either for a long time so might be wrong.

The scene's not in the film at all, just the book.

She tampers with the wine, tomato soup, chocolate pudding, they all get bodily fluids added, I think there might be more, but I don't recall.

If we say cystitis, heavy period and skittery, I think you'll get the unpleasant picture!

The scene's not in the film at all, just the book.

She tampers with the wine, tomato soup, chocolate pudding, they all get bodily fluids added, I think there might be more, but I don't recall.

If we say cystitis, heavy period and skittery, I think you'll get the unpleasant picture!

Oh yeah, I remember, she squeezes her mouse out in the soup.

Sawdust Caesar

Don't know about restaurants but when I worked the bars in the Playhouse I saw the odd disgusting act. We got a lot of weegies coming through for shows and, therefore, we got a lot of attitude from some of them, in fact more so than any other towns people. Anyway a particularly annoying punter from the west pi$$ed off a colleague so when he was making up his interval drinks he rubbed his willy round the rim of the glass. :eek:

Whilst I wouldn't dream of condoning spitting in people's food; I find it very odd that you started this thread with no apparent provocation.

If everyone were to agree (again, I can think of no one - not even among some of our less pleasant fellow JKBers who would say, "ach, it's alright summa the time, ken, likesay") then it makes for a dull thread - not like your usual, I8!

So, perhaps, I can modify the theme slightly to stimulate some discussion:

Pi55ing in dishwashers. Where do we stand on that?

If, hypothetically, I were bursting but the shunk was occupied and I were to be about to put the dishwasher on with a full load anyway, what would be wrong with peeing into the dishwasher?

(It would have to be done in the safe knowledge that none of my colleagues would come into the staff canteen at the time, of course.)

Hypothetically, as I say.

Hypothetically.

the thread is topical to me as i talked about this recently

It is no myth - that I can 100% guarantee

Utter bull & im a fully qualified chef for over 9 years & take offence to this.

i have hundered of stories to tell about customers returning foor for whatever reason & have had expreiances with customers returning food because they cannot afoard the bill or whatever.

Its an old wife tail, just like the gorgie rd mcdonalds incident with seman in the big mac relish that made the EEN.

i dont know you personally john, but you go to ANY reptuiable resturaunt & you WONT get anything of the sort.

from a chef POV a well done steak is the most returned piece of food going, along with cold pasta & soup.

if this is the case i can asure you that the steak would be re cooked & the pasta or soup put in the bucket & re cooked.

think about it from a chef's POV, IF a customer returns food, what have they put in it so they can sue us for?!

works both way's

Juve

Maxies Bistro, Johnstone Terrace, Edinburgh, EH1 2PW

with respect you wouldn't exactly admit it

I worked in a kitchen for 6 months and I can assure you it happens

I don't think it happens at the Savoy but it happens

If you eat in a restaraunt worth a damn then it's just not going to happen. No chef with any degree of self-respect is going to risk their living just because somebody said their food was a bit cold.

Sawdust Caesar

The chef might not contemplate it but I'll bet a few waiters do, especially as they are more likely to be on the end of any abuse from the customers, which is why I'm polite to them all, even if they screw up an order.

I worked in a well-known rapid-service establishment for quite a while and I never once witnessed nor heard of any incidents like this. In fact, I was always very surprised and impressed by the exacting standards of cleanliness.

As for the customers, some of the things you had to put up with unbelievable. The amount of **** walking the streets never ceases to amaze me.

....which is why I'm polite to them all, even if they screw up an order.

Which is how people should be.

I have worked in two busy(but very different) kitchens and I have never experienced anyone tampering with the food. However, I am aware that people in this country find it really difficult to complain due to a fear that the kitchen would respond badly.

When I was in France a few friends came to visit and they did not like how their steak was done(undercooked in their eyes...perfect in mine ;)) butwere terrified to complain due to the fear over here, my french friends were disgusted because they had never heard of that sort of things.

ps I was waiting staff and I would never do anything of the sort and neither would any of the people I have worked with, people always seem terrified complaining (altho the odd rude few have made me switch tables but i would not dream of touching the food)

I worked in a well-known rapid-service establishment

Errr... so you worked in Burger King then? :D

Errr... so you worked in Burger King then? :D

I'll give you one of my gold stars.

The Old Tolbooth

Exactly, it definitely does happen! I may have painted an extreme picture in my attempt at some light hearted humour, but I know for sure it goes on because one of my best mates has told me some horror stories from his time as a chef, and the best man at my wedding was also a chef, and he was worse!

Thank god ones a builder and the others a driver now! :eek:

Guest juvehearts

No

because i would not do it,

youvev worked in a kitchen for 6 months mate

COOKING IS MY LIFE

i worked damn hard to get to where i am today & sure as hell ainto going to gob in someone's food because their soup is cold.

comes all down to this.

FACT. someone likes your food, that person would only tell 1 person,

FACT. Someone had a bad experiance in your resturaunt. - they tell on adverage 10 people

FACT 10% if ALL resturaunts, catering places FAIL in their 1st year.

my wee bistro had a good rep, i for one would NEVER do anything to tarnish that. FACT

yes cowboy's exist, no i have not heard of many.

Don't know about restaurants but when I worked the bars in the Playhouse I saw the odd disgusting act. We got a lot of weegies coming through for shows and, therefore, we got a lot of attitude from some of them, in fact more so than any other towns people. Anyway a particularly annoying punter from the west pi$$ed off a colleague so when he was making up his interval drinks he rubbed his willy round the rim of the glass. :eek:

Knew a male (straight) cabin crew who did that to a guy's water bottle after he asked for it in a rude way. My missus did cabin crew for about 10 years. she once had an indian guy pressing the bell for attention persistently the second the plane took off. Once she was allowed to get out her seat she went to see what he wanted and he uttered the immortal line... "I've been fingering you for the last ten minutes and you still haven't come".

my mate worked in an in-store bakery and on his last day he was making something to go in a pack of four (cheese scones or rolls, something like that), anyway he took one of the four, kicked it round the bakery room, gobbed in it, put in a pube and a snotter, and worst of all, at the time he had a dose and resultant discharge..... they watched the packet with great intent all day and it was bought by a geeky guy in a suit.

Heard something about the China China over the road from the playhouse that their staff licked the plates clean, doubt it's true, but it put me off going back there! What if it was mad Vlad, would you spit in his food, or do something else that rhymes with spit?

I was in there with my now wife near closing time one night. It was obvious that they were getting a bit arsey and wanting to shut up but I did think that dragging the wheelie bins out the front through the restaurant as we were eating was a bit much. Complete coup, can't say I'm surprised it closed down.

I P Knightley
the thread is topical to me as i talked about this recently

It is no myth - that I can 100% guarantee

On first reading, I missed the bit in bold and was thinking 'what a great way to make something topical - talk about it' :)

Many years ago, I had a summer job in the Merlin in Morningside (before the fire & subsequent smart refurbishment). One evening, I had a real arsey customer in the lounge bar who complained about not having a head on his lager. Now, back then, the lager in the Merlin just wouldn't come with a head so there was effall I could do.

Effall other than say I would get a pint from the other bar. Took his pint through, stirred it vigorously with my finger and returned it to him with the required head. He drank it without complaint.

The finger wasn't terribly dirty but it gave me a small glow of satisfaction that he was drinking exactly what he'd had before.

No

because i would not do it,

youvev worked in a kitchen for 6 months mate

COOKING IS MY LIFE

i worked damn hard to get to where i am today & sure as hell ainto going to gob in someone's food because their soup is cold.

comes all down to this.

FACT. someone likes your food, that person would only tell 1 person,

FACT. Someone had a bad experiance in your resturaunt. - they tell on adverage 10 people

FACT 10% if ALL resturaunts, catering places FAIL in their 1st year.

my wee bistro had a good rep, i for one would NEVER do anything to tarnish that. FACT

yes cowboy's exist, no i have not heard of many.

you have my respect mate, keep it up :)

i8hbs has watched 'Road Trip' far too many times.

eeeeeeeeeuuuuyyyyghhhhuk!

forgot about that part of the film

On first reading, I missed the bit in bold and was thinking 'what a great way to make something topical - talk about it' :)

Many years ago, I had a summer job in the Merlin in Morningside (before the fire & subsequent smart refurbishment). One evening, I had a real arsey customer in the lounge bar who complained about not having a head on his lager. Now, back then, the lager in the Merlin just wouldn't come with a head so there was effall I could do.

Effall other than say I would get a pint from the other bar. Took his pint through, stirred it vigorously with my finger and returned it to him with the required head. He drank it without complaint.

The finger wasn't terribly dirty but it gave me a small glow of satisfaction that he was drinking exactly what he'd had before.

shame on you and I hope one day it happens to you also

Yes the customer was probably a total t0sser but that man is just wrong!

have you never complained about a pint before?

I P Knightley
shame on you and I hope one day it happens to you also

Yes the customer was probably a total t0sser but that man is just wrong!

have you never complained about a pint before?

I have - but only if it's bowfing and I wouldn't do so with an attitude.

Sheesh - I was only answering your question... you should have said that you were going to exercise judgement on anyone who responded in the affirmative. I admit it was wrong and wouldn't do it nowadays in my maturity but I was 18 and it was funny at the time. Gawd - now I feel all bad. If any of you see a guy in or around Morningside called Jeff; he'd be around 60 now; and he tells you that he had a dodgy pint in the summer of 1983, could you pass on my apologies and buy him a couple of pints - maybe a 4-pack - of his chosen brew. I'll refund you.

Exactly, it definitely does happen! I may have painted an extreme picture in my attempt at some light hearted humour, but I know for sure it goes on because one of my best mates has told me some horror stories from his time as a chef, and the best man at my wedding was also a chef, and he was worse!

Thank god ones a builder and the others a driver now! :eek:

Bulls***, You're mates are a pair of liars...Or S**M!! :mad:

I've been a Chef/Catering manager for over 15years.I've worked In Germany,Edinburgh and other areas and have NEVER seen this happen, I've NEVER met a Chef (and I know Hundreds) that have claimed to have done this!!

I think your mates were trying to make themselves sound Hard/Funny...Seriously If they're not, I hope they both end up on the dole for a long ferkin time,AFTER a Lenthy court case and Hefty fine!! :mad:

Not in anywhere I have been manager. Their feet wouldn't touch the floor.

Guest juvehearts

I've been a Chef/Catering manager for over 15years.I've worked In Germany,Edinburgh and other areas and have NEVER seen this happen, I've NEVER met a Chef (and I know Hundreds) that have claimed to have done this!!

I think your mates were trying to make themselves sound Hard/Funny...Seriously If they're not, I hope they both end up on the dole for a long ferkin time,AFTER a Lenthy court case and Hefty fine!! :mad:

and hopefuly some jail time.

anyone who tampers with food can & should get maxium jail time, it can be classed as poisoning & theirfore attempted murder.

if i found ANYONE that I work with to have done this, it would be their last day EVER in a kitchen.

The Old Tolbooth

You keep telling yourself that mate ;)

As for Juvehearts saying it's attempted murder

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Guest juvehearts

no disrespect to you john,

but as you previous said in your posts about your 2 mates who are now in different trades just about says it all about your knowldege of a working kitchen.

they couldnt handle the heat which is understandiable, it is a high demand job for thw best of people,but what you have heard is probally hearsay & its damanging to real proper chefs out there that you can come out & say someone would tamper with your food.

You have no knowlegade of working in a kitchen & i bet you a pound for a penny that you wouldnt last 6hrs in my kitchen bud.

yes it can be classed as attempted murder as i read stories from the usa about someone sueing someone nearly every week for it.

all you have to do is google cooking lawsuits

About a year and a half ago at Burger King in the East End I ordered a Veggie Burger.

I bit into it and some ****wit had put a bit of bacon into the middle. Didn't complain as it would be hard to prove who made it. Have never been back since.

That incident has pretty much put me off the fast food scene, and I'd rather go to a sandwich bar instead for lunch on the go.

What I did which am not too proud of, is, when working with fresh chickens in Safeway before Morrisons took over, I kinda kicked one about the floor and then prepared for the delicatessens rotisserie. Had I got caught I would have been sacked on the spot. Which was my original intention. Alas I got away with it.

About a year and a half ago at Burger King in the East End I ordered a Veggie Burger.

I bit into it and some ****wit had put a bit of bacon into the middle. Didn't complain as it would be hard to prove who made it. Have never been back since.

That incident has pretty much put me off the fast food scene, and I'd rather go to a sandwich bar instead for lunch on the go.

But its not possible, things like that apparently dont go on in food places :rolleyes:

I worked at the Ellersly House Hotel for around six months while at College.

I can assure you it goes on, and not from the Chefs. It's more gobbing in Coffee and such like. Residents can be such *****. 'That tea is not Earl Grey...' shut your puss.

Archived