Big Issue Style Cafes

Rawrrrrrrr

See there opening a few in edinburgh which will be staffed by homeless people

Lets be honest now, who would want there morning roll or lunchtime baguette served by some junkie or the likes?

Destined for failure after wasting countless thousands in council grants

What a great idea :)

Regular John

Has anyone else noticed that Big Isssue sellers look normal nowadays?

Honestly, they look middle class compared to the jakes that hand out the free Record PM's/Shortlist magazines during the week.

Commander Harris

Lets be honest now, who would want there morning roll or lunchtime baguette served by some junkie or the likes?

if the food was good and reasonably priced I'd happily use such a place.

if the food was good and reasonably priced I'd happily use such a place.

Would you like hepatitis with your burger sir?;)

Guest gorgie kev

And your bank cards getting cloned,and your wallet or purse getting nicked while your in said "cafe" pure nuts this idea:confused:

I run a soup kitchen in The Grassmarket and use a few service users as volunteers, most, the vast majority, are clean, respectable and trustworthy. It's a minority of people with issues around homelessness who are drug users or alcoholics, many have mental health problems or need some support in their tenancies.

I know service users who have been chefs, teachers, have held senior management positions, university lecturers, worked in IT etc etc.

It really can happen to anyone.

I have been served in chippies by staff with track marks up their arms. How do you know the guy who serves you in the pub, or McDonalds or any cafe or restaurant you go into?

whilst im neither here nor there on the idea of getting served by the homeless as I dont frequent cafes (greasy spooners, not the nice dutch type) theres more than enough grotty cesspit cafes already without the big issue opening some.

One at Chesser springs to mind, the dark blue front beside the newsagents (not to be confused with the light blue one next door run by a few women), big fatty runs it. He's forever wiping his beak on his hands and looking like he slept in a hedge. If you look through the back its an absolute hovel. Used to work beside it and dive in for a bag of crisps from time to time. Manky.

Commander Harris
Would you like hepatitis with your burger sir?;)

a good friend of mine was homeless for a while, he isn't a junkie, he's not got hepatitis and I happily eat what he cooks for me. :)

a good friend of mine was homeless for a while, he isn't a junkie, he's not got hepatitis and I happily eat what he cooks for me. :)

Yeah, but that doesn't fit in with the ignorant stereotype.

You can't feel all superior if you actually discover that there's not a whole lot of difference between you and most homeless people.

I fed over 90 people tonight, in that group there were about six drunks, maybe 12 of Eastern European extraction (they HATE a drink and fight), no junkies that I know of, although I'm not naive enough to believe there were none at all, but no evidence of it, in fact I haven't found a syringe in a week now, since last Monday night, which resulted in the rant on the legalising drugs thread.

The notorious John "Kaiser" McKay turned up, but as he's barred (for being a pest and a kid-on hard man, threatening people in my place! I won't allow it) he sat outside and was told he was getting nothing. (The last time I gave him a sandwich he threw it at me! He's not getting the chance to do it again until I see an improvement in his behaviour) I wouldn't be buying a bacon roll from him, but then wasters like him wouldn't be involved in this sort of thing.

Anybody fancy volunteering for me?

Era Macaroons
I run a soup kitchen in The Grassmarket and use a few service users as volunteers, most, the vast majority, are clean, respectable and trustworthy. It's a minority of people with issues around homelessness who are drug users or alcoholics, many have mental health problems or need some support in their tenancies.

I know service users who have been chefs, teachers, have held senior management positions, university lecturers, worked in IT etc etc.

It really can happen to anyone.

I have been served in chippies by staff with track marks up their arms. How do you know the guy who serves you in the pub, or McDonalds or any cafe or restaurant you go into?

I have staffed (& volunterered) similar places.

You'd be amazed how yer man will grab this chance at being responsible and being a worthy contributer, self esteem is restored and confidence grows. Its an amazing sight.

I'm all for it , sounds like a good initiative and I would use one.

Or of course....we can do nothing...and nothing changes.

Walter Payton
Yeah, but that doesn't fit in with the ignorant stereotype.

You can't feel all superior if you actually discover that there's not a whole lot of difference between you and most homeless people.

I fed over 90 people tonight, in that group there were about six drunks, maybe 12 of Eastern European extraction (they HATE a drink and fight), no junkies that I know of, although I'm not naive enough to believe there were none at all, but no evidence of it, in fact I haven't found a syringe in a week now, since last Monday night, which resulted in the rant on the legalising drugs thread.

The notorious John "Kaiser" McKay turned up, but as he's barred (for being a pest and a kid-on hard man, threatening people in my place! I won't allow it) he sat outside and was told he was getting nothing. (The last time I gave him a sandwich he threw it at me! He's not getting the chance to do it again until I see an improvement in his behaviour) I wouldn't be buying a bacon roll from him, but then wasters like him wouldn't be involved in this sort of thing.

How often do you need volunteers Doc, and how many do you need at a time?

Brian Whittaker's Tache

I've been homeless for a while thru no fault of my own. (luckily I had a great support network round me)

I did some work for a similar charity in the states a few years ago

http://www.delanceystreetfoundation.org

Their cafe's are fantastic and give people who have hit rock bottom a great chance

Brian Whittaker's Tache

I'd quite like to do this

What kind of commitment do you need?

doctor jambo

Giving people down on thier luck a chance to work their way back into society

- fantastic idea

Really good and positive idea, unless of course prancer you would rather they were benefit dependent for the rest of their lives.....

The commitment's really whatever you want to give, it's usually between 4 and 6 hours a week, but it can be as little as two, it would depend on what day you were free. Afternoons or evenings, weekdays or weekends, there should be a day or time that suits.

If you fancy looking a little more go through the website http://www.grassmarketmission.org or email me [email protected] and we'll start the application process (it's not difficult or complicated).

BUT! I'm about to go on holiday for two weeks so don't expect me to get back to you before the middle of August!

Ya gotta love JKB sometimes...

From manure...

...comes roses...

How often do you need volunteers Doc, and how many do you need at a time?

I'd quite like to do this

What kind of commitment do you need?

All the best to you Doc...or should I say David...no...it can't be...can it? ;)

Denny Crane

Prancer spouts more of his untermenshen nonsense shocker

The commitment's really whatever you want to give, it's usually between 4 and 6 hours a week, but it can be as little as two, it would depend on what day you were free. Afternoons or evenings, weekdays or weekends, there should be a day or time that suits.

If you fancy looking a little more go through the website http://www.grassmarketmission.org or email me [email protected] and we'll start the application process (it's not difficult or complicated).

BUT! I'm about to go on holiday for two weeks so don't expect me to get back to you before the middle of August!

you have mail.

Archived