Wall Mounting an HDTV

Brian Fantana

Brian Fantana

I've just moved into my new house and me and the other half are thinking of mounting the tv on the wall to save a bit of space. Just wondering how easy this is to do? And if anyone else has done it, what have you done with Sky box, DVD player Xbox/PS3 etc.

Cheers folks

I'm also thinking of doing this when i move. It's relatively easy to do. You just need the correct wallbracket. If it's a cavity wall i think you need a butterfly bracket to spread the weight.

The main hassle is hiding the cables inside the wall and then redecorating over it. My mate has already done this in his pad - he fired the TV clean on the wall and the sky box and dvd player sit in the corner of the room. The cables are hidden inside the wall and connect in to the TV.

I got a plasterer mate to cut a channel in the wall (plaster board) and we ran the cables for sky,HDMI,mains,extra scart & co-ax.He then refitted gyproc and plastered over it.Once it was painted it was just a case of putting bravket on wall,tv on bracket then plug it in.

I also ran the cables behind the skirting prior to decorating so none are seen.

Fairly easy, especially if you get a mate to do it!!;)

David_R_Young

I plan to wall mount a flat screen in my bedroom. Dont think ill bother with the hiding of cables as it would be too much hastle, especially as ill want my ps3 plugged in.

championsleaguefan

I had another plasterboard wall built in front of original wall far enough out so that I could build sunk in shelfs for the Xbox 360 dvd etc all cabels are well hiden and I have a access door at the bottom and also it doubles as storage for dvds toys junk best thing I ever did.

I would suggest the heat from the screen would not do any favours to the wallpaper/paint.

Also, be careful to avoid hanging your tv at "picture" height unless you want a sore neck!

Nucky Thompson

I've got mine on the wall (a chimney breast that sticks out in the middle of the room). I cut out a channel in the brick for the wires and my mate plastered them into the wall. I have my dvd player, sky box etc. on a small unit flush with the chimney breast. It looks really neat:)

Archived