Hand Held Speed Cameras

JamboSean

Doctor FinnBarr
Does any one know the procedure with these things?

I think the ^^^^ts just got me.

Normally with the guns you'll get flagged down there and then. You should be OK.

:)

If you have been caught, ask for proof of calibration. They have to do this every day the kit is used. ;)

Cheers for the info lads. Think I'll be safe as the police were talking to some ned on a scooter.

Only a Game
Does any one know the procedure with these things?

I think the ^^^^ts just got me.

Might be wrong here, but they should stop you and show you the machine reading before they can charge you. (Thats certainly how it used to be back in the day)

If they havent stopped you, then I'm guessing you werent over the limit ( or youve declined to stop in which case you really are in sh\t :P)

If you have been caught, ask for proof of calibration. They have to do this every day the kit is used. ;)

Decent bit of advice there. Good to see your posts are useful for something. ;)

Doctor FinnBarr

Would you have been reading that ex-plods book by any chance? Keep meaning to buy it but never got round to it yet! Haven't been nabbed since 2000 tho.

Normally with the guns you'll get flagged down there and then. You should be OK.

Sorry don't think so. The 'film' will be analysed, the registration plates checked, then the fines issued. If you were doing whatever above the limit, hand in your licence.

Might be wrong here, but they should stop you and show you the machine reading before they can charge you. (Thats certainly how it used to be back in the day)

If they havent stopped you, then I'm guessing you werent over the limit ( or youve declined to stop in which case you really are in sh\t :P)

Exactly right OAG. These cameras don't "save" readings or take pictures so you can't be pulled up retrospectively. If the use the handhelds to register your speed then need to pull you over and show you. If you ever get pulled over as Therapist said earlier, ask when the unit was last calibrated and ask to see the calibration certificate.

If you are in the mood to be particulalry arsey tell the officers you wish to read the PACE (Police And Criminal Evidence act) guide before they continue any further. They very very rarely carry a copy of this so will need to radio to the local police station to get a copy brought out to you as you make it clear you won't leave the scene of the aleged offence until you have read this.

These handheld units have to be set on a particular spot on your number plate and they can't deviate too far from that spot or the speed reading will not be accurate. Going further than the calibration certificate, if it goes to court, you can ask the Police Force to give you details of the officer in questions eyesight, does he have perfect vision or does he rely on glasses / contact lenses, when was his last eyetest etc...

My other halfs brother is a lawyer and his boss was stopped doing 95mph by the coppers and they told her she would need to bring her licence, insurance docs etc into the station within 7 days. She keeps them all in the glove box and gave them to the officer there and then. This means he would be required to fill out all the documantation there and then, they use the 7 day thing to palm it off to the clerical staff. The officer obvously couldnt be bothered and told her just to go on......

They will tell you this as a matter of course. Best just to stick to speed limit or accept the consequences for being reckless. Speed kills. :mad:

If you are in the mood to be particulalry arsey tell the officers you wish to read the PACE (Police And Criminal Evidence act) guide before they continue any further. They very very rarely carry a copy of this so will need to radio to the local police station to get a copy brought out to you as you make it clear you won't leave the scene of the aleged offence until you have read this.

This is English legislation and has nothing to do with Scotland. But if did, what has it to do with Road Traffic Law?

The Old Tolbooth
Sorry don't think so. The 'film' will be analysed, the registration plates checked, then the fines issued. If you were doing whatever above the limit, hand in your licence.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought with the "guns" that they didn't actually film you, so there would be no film to hand in to be analysed.

I thought the guns only recorded speed and the polis on the end of them flagged you over there and then, and then talked down to you like you were some kind of kid, erm I mean issued you with your fine and points.

Doctor FinnBarr

But we're talking about speed guns here, no film unless it's the newer 1 that get's set up on a tripod.

But we're talking about speed guns here, no film unless it's the newer 1 that get's set up on a tripod.

It's a radar sort of thing. It might not be film but it is recorded be it film or not. I worked with the Speed camera unit trying to show that the sprays you put on number plates were crap. Doesn't matter whether it was 'film' or not, if you were doing above the limit you got caught. By the way these sprays don't work so anybody who tells you different is talking crap

Doctor FinnBarr
It's a radar sort of thing. It might not be film but it is recorded be it film or not. I worked with the Speed camera unit trying to show that the sprays you put on number plates were crap. Doesn't matter whether it was 'film' or not, if you were doing above the limit you got caught. By the way these sprays don't work so anybody who tells you different is talking crap

I have obeyed every traffic law religiously since April 2000, or so my licence says! Don't you think the speed limits (on motorways in particular) are well out of date? Not as much as the braking distances shown in the Highway Code right enough. Made in the 50's when vehicles had drum-brakes but still used during the driving test now when vehicles have disc-brakes ABS etc etc!

I have obeyed every traffic law religiously since April 2000, or so my licence says! Don't you think the speed limits (on motorways in particular) are well out of date? Not as much as the braking distances shown in the Highway Code right enough. Made in the 50's when vehicles had drum-brakes but still used during the driving test now when vehicles have disc-brakes ABS etc etc!

You may well be correct but there are so many clowns who think they are untouchable when they get into a car.The speed limits are there for a reason , whether they are too low is a serious matter for debate and really does depend on the road and the expeience of the driver but how you could enforce that is anybodies guess. WRT to the 'invisibility sprays', only the gullible will buy them. Unfortunately there are a few out there. Thankfully it keeps me in a job.

It's a radar sort of thing.

Correct.

The device is aimed at your number plate. Both your speed and number plate are recorded. If you're exceeding the speed limit, you'll receive a penalty notice in around 5 working days. You wont necessarily get pulled over.

Doctor FinnBarr
You may well be correct but there are so many clowns who think they are untouchable when they get into a car.The speed limits are there for a reason , whether they are too low is a serious matter for debate and really does depend on the road and the expeience of the driver but how you could enforce that is anybodies guess. WRT to the 'invisibility sprays', only the gullible will buy them. Unfortunately there are a few out there. Thankfully it keeps me in a job.[/QUOTE]

What is your job if I may ask?

:confused:

You may well be correct but there are so many clowns who think they are untouchable when they get into a car.The speed limits are there for a reason ' date=' whether they are too low is a serious matter for debate and really does depend on the road and the expeience of the driver but how you could enforce that is anybodies guess. WRT to the 'invisibility sprays', only the gullible will buy them. Unfortunately there are a few out there. [b']Thankfully it keeps me in a job.[/[/b]QUOTE]

What is your job if I may ask?

:confused:

Law Enforcement but not the Police. If I tell you specifics I would have to kill you and all who read this post.:eek:

Law Enforcement but not the Police. If I tell you specifics I would have to kill you and all who read this post.:eek:

Traffic Warden or MI5 ?

Doctor FinnBarr

LOL, Fair enough bud.

Trading Standards Officer or Environmental Health Warden ?

Well done. Can you work out what I am if i said mermaid?

this_is_my_story

The whole thing, regardless of the fact that speed does kill, is a *****ing racket.

I was pulled over last year on the carriageway that stretches from the Newbridge roundabout to the Maybury by an unmarked filth mobile, on the section (heading eastwards) where the 40mph limit starts to apply. On come the flashing lights as I travel at 46mph on an empty road on a nice summer night, dry roads, perfect visibility.

The lone officer in the car played a dash-mounted video of my driving back to me (it was hard trying not to laugh, as he was obviously new to his little toy, and had difficulty operating it!) and after his member had hardened sufficiently, he asks the priceless question "Can you explain why you were doing 46mph in a 40mph zone?" Resisting the temptation to answer "Well, it might have something to do with the fact that I wasn't doing 45 or 47", I offer the usual response to humour him.

He then uses his kit to enable us both to watch my "errant driving" past Ingleston with this little beaty:

"At this point, I'll admit that you have two hands on the steering wheel, and that you're looking at the road ahead. But, you don't seem particularly interested."

What can you really say to that?! "Hmm, yeah.." was my preferred response, again resisting the temptation to ask him, at the point where he became aware of my apparent disinterest, if he was observing the road ahead. Also, I've yet to find out how to 'look interested' when at the wheel of a moving vehicle.

The end result was that the phallus in question decided to "Let me off this time", helpfully adding that I should "be more aware".

I thanked him courteously for this invaluable nugget, yet again resisting the stronger than before temptation to ask him if he'd ever considered sexual relations with a lady (or other gender) to ease his worries.

And they wonder why no-one likes them. Utter w@nkers!!:)

i was stopped with a police man with a gun as i was speeding, as far as i know if you were speeding you will be pulled over and charged there on the spot if you were speeding.

I P Knightley

I thanked him courteously for this invaluable nugget, yet again resisting the stronger than before temptation to ask him if he'd ever considered sexual relations with a lady (or other gender) to ease his worries.

Is there a session in the police training programme where they drum in the pointless, haughty, overbearing, sarcastic lines of questioning?

I had this once:

PC: "What's your occupation?"

Me: "Accountancy."

PC: "Have you ever had to spend 5 hours in the hospital with the victim of a traffic accident?"

Me: "No"

PC: "Have you ever had to inform a family about the injuries sustained by a victim of a traffic accident?"

Me: "No."

PC: "Have you ever seen the injuries sustained by somebody who's been knocked over by a bus?" (or something similar - I was starting to drift off.)

Me: "I told you I was an accountant. I know it's more interesting than folk make out but it's not that interesting."

moment's pause...

this_is_my_story
Is there a session in the police training programme where they drum in the pointless, haughty, overbearing, sarcastic lines of questioning?

I had this once:

PC: "What's your occupation?"

Me: "Accountancy."

PC: "Have you ever had to spend 5 hours in the hospital with the victim of a traffic accident?"

Me: "No"

PC: "Have you ever had to inform a family about the injuries sustained by a victim of a traffic accident?"

Me: "No."

PC: "Have you ever seen the injuries sustained by somebody who's been knocked over by a bus?" (or something similar - I was starting to drift off.)

Me: "I told you I was an accountant. I know it's more interesting than folk make out but it's not that interesting."

moment's pause...

Haha!! Brilliant. It really does bring home the need for school-bullying to be properly addressed once and for all, and we'd hopefully have less of these spunk-for-brained rectums 'enforcing the law'.

Archived