Acoustic Guitar

Adi Dassler

Adi Dassler

I'm thinking of starting guitar lessons soon, always threatened to do it and i'm needing a hobby so i'm going to bite the bullet.

Any suggestions on what a beginner should be buying? How much i should be looking to spend?

Gigolo-Aunt

You are right to start of with an accoustic, Adi - leave the electric alone until you have spent some time on the guitar not being plugged in.

There are a few music shops up town (there is one at Corstorphine as well) - would spend about 80-100 on a guitar. Any more could be a waste as the amount of people who get frustrated when learning and end up putting the guitar down is quite high.

Would buy half a dozen soft plectrums as well as a 4 chord song book (i.e Oasis or Beatles) so you know if you are playing the right chords etc.

Last thing you cannot buy, but patience is the key. You will feel at times you are getting nowhere but then the next time you pick the guitar up you will notice that changing from chord to chord is a lot smoother as it was before.

Good luck, and keep it at - its a great way to relax is playing the guitar.

You never know, we may have another Mr Marr on our hands.

:)

You are right to start of with an accoustic, Adi - leave the electric alone until you have spent some time on the guitar not being plugged in.

There are a few music shops up town (there is one at Corstorphine as well) - would spend about 80-100 on a guitar. Any more could be a waste as the amount of people who get frustrated when learning and end up putting the guitar down is quite high.

Would buy half a dozen soft plectrums as well as a 4 chord song book (i.e Oasis or Beatles) so you know if you are playing the right chords etc.

Last thing you cannot buy, but patience is the key. You will feel at times you are getting nowhere but then the next time you pick the guitar up you will notice that changing from chord to chord is a lot smoother as it was before.

Couldn't disagree more with this post.

I've been playing for about 8-9 years now and I learned on an '89 Strat and the difference compared to lesser guitars was instantly obvious when you played them.

If you're serious, I'd seriously advocate learning on a decent electric (unless your heart is really set on an acoustic), as you have a greater reign of the fretboard and a better action to master a decent rhythm.

Also, I'd suggest learning theory alongside learning the guitar, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't go and learn how to read tab and learns songs that way; it's how I learned back when I first started and don't regret it now.

Also, I'd recommend Dunlop Jazz III picks to get you started - they're the industry standard.

In terms of actual guitar, I'd recommend:

Acoustic - an Epiphone or Fender in the region of ?150 - these will give you a decent standard instrument which you'll be unlikely to get sick of any time soon;

Electric - I'd say go for an Epiphone Les Paul or a MIJ (Made in Japan) Fender Strat or Tele. These are thoroughly decent instruments and I've held on to both my Epi and MIJ Jaguar. You won't be disappointed.

If you have other questions, feel free to PM me and I'll point you in the direction of some decent websites to get you started.

Gigolo-Aunt

I've been playing for about 8-9 years now and I learned on an '89 Strat and the difference compared to lesser guitars was instantly obvious when you played them.

If you're serious, I'd seriously advocate learning on a decent electric (unless your heart is really set on an acoustic), as you have a greater reign of the fretboard and a better action to master a decent rhythm.

Also, I'd suggest learning theory alongside learning the guitar, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't go and learn how to read tab and learns songs that way; it's how I learned back when I first started and don't regret it now.

Also, I'd recommend Dunlop Jazz III picks to get you started - they're the industry standard.

Acoustic - an Epiphone or Fender in the region of ?150 - these will give you a decent standard instrument which you'll be unlikely to get sick of any time soon;

Electric - I'd say go for an Epiphone Les Paul or a MIJ (Made in Japan) Fender Strat or Tele. These are thoroughly decent instruments and I've held on to both my Epi and MIJ Jaguar. You won't be disappointed.

If you have other questions, feel free to PM me and I'll point you in the direction of some decent websites to get you started.

Whats the point of spending a good whack on a guitar when there is a not a bad chance that Adi may jack it?

I learned on a pretty basic accoustic, and once I was confident that I had improved, got the basics I then went out and bought a Stratocaster (now own a Telecaster)

Walk before you can run on this one IMO.

Oh, and I have been playing for 10 years.

:rolleyes:

Because poor equipment can be a contributing factor to individuals packing it in early?

In comparison to serveral friends, I've saved money through opting to learn on decent guitars as opposed to settling for mediocrity then deciding to purchase better equipment. Although, horses for courses, I guess.

...Also, slightly disappointed with the sarcastic response I got. But, I guess that's to be expected from KB.

Not to worry. :)

Doubt it.

My boss has started learning and he gets really frustrated with his stiff little fingers (pun) but says when you get it right you have an enormous sense of achievement. Got to say I felt the same on Guitar Hero;)

Italian Lambretta

I'm thinking about getting lessons with the Accoustic Guitar for my son , but can't find Tutors in my area (Bonnyrigg)

He is 8 years old and I would like him to get a couple of years in before he goes to high school.

Anyone know anybody that Tutors this age group?

scott_jambo

Contrary to other people on this thread, this is the right way to go. I started on electric and tried to play an acoustic guitar and sounded horrible at first...

Then after doing well on the accoustic i went back to the electric and found it much easier and quicker chord changes.

It's like football, if you start off with a size 3 football then when you move onto a size 5 you find it much easier!

scott_jambo

EASIER reign of the fretboard, and also much easier to mask mistakes that need to be spot on when you first learn.

Accoustic accentuates the need of wrist and finger placement and teaches good habits. Electric doesnt so much.

Don't buy a Fender acoustic for less than ?500. They are sub-standard IMO.

Adi, go to Guitar Guitar or Red Dog if you are in the Edinburgh area, ask questions, try a few and see how they feel. That's the important thing, a good sound will come in time.

I would recommend Yamaha, Cort and Vintage guitars if you can find those. I have been playing for 8 years and I bash about on a cheap Yamaha that cost me a little over ?100. It needn't be expensive to sound good. Just make sure it is properly set up - the shop can do this for you.

Oh, and have fun. It's a wonderful instrument to play and it looks great sitting in the corner of my living room!

Tend to agree with Gigalo, I started at Christmas, bought a reasonable Yamaha acoustic for about 150 and bashed away getting better all the time. Ive got an electric now and do find it so much easier to play than the acoustic, but you have to go through the pain first to get to that stage and to be honest I like playing the acoustic more than the electric.

Totally recommend taking it up its a great relaxing hobby.

Tend to agree with Gigalo, I started at Christmas, bought a reasonable Yamaha acoustic for about 150 and bashed away getting better all the time. Ive got an electric now and do find it so much easier to play than the acoustic, but you have to go through the pain first to get to that stage and to be honest I like playing the acoustic more than the electric.

Totally recommend taking it up its a great relaxing hobby.

Self taught?

Easy to get hold of song sheets?

Self taught?

Easy to get hold of song sheets?

Ye taught myself with the use of http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/ its an excellent website for music etc. Type in the song you want and it'll bring back the options and its in a language I understand, so its gotta be fairly basic.

BTW Im at what i call stage one, i can play some fairly basic 5 or 6 chord songs ok, not at the next level where i would let someone listen to me. lol

The great thing nowadays is that you can get on-line lessons.

This guy is one of the best on youtube for beginners/intermediates:

http://www.youtube.com/user/JustinSandercoeSongs

I've been playing on and off for about 15 years. I 've never really practiced for long enough to get good at it, but I can impress some people.

I'm thinking about getting lessons with the Accoustic Guitar for my son , but can't find Tutors in my area (Bonnyrigg)

He is 8 years old and I would like him to get a couple of years in before he goes to high school.

Anyone know anybody that Tutors this age group?

Sent you a PM with an option you might want to try. I understand if not, though.

jambo-rocker
Ye taught myself with the use of http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/ its an excellent website for music etc. Type in the song you want and it'll bring back the options and its in a language I understand, so its gotta be fairly basic.

BTW Im at what i call stage one, i can play some fairly basic 5 or 6 chord songs ok, not at the next level where i would let someone listen to me. lol

i used ultimate guitar to an extent but found that it was only good to give you an idea of how to play sounds, as most tabs were never 100% and even then, i felt that you play the same note or chord in different parts of the guitar (most obvious being open or closed chords). I would take i little bit from a tab and if there were any bits in them i didnt like, i would play the rest by ear. I found it better that way because you develop your own technique. Although i wish i had some lessons when i started out so that i would have played with good habits from the start, then went on to develop my skills on my own. Slowly but surely improving to the point where i can play most songs by ear now after over two years of playing self-taught.

i used ultimate guitar to an extent but found that it was only good to give you an idea of how to play sounds, as most tabs were never 100% and even then, i felt that you play the same note or chord in different parts of the guitar (most obvious being open or closed chords). I would take i little bit from a tab and if there were any bits in them i didnt like, i would play the rest by ear. I found it better that way because you develop your own technique. Although i wish i had some lessons when i started out so that i would have played with good habits from the start, then went on to develop my skills on my own. Slowly but surely improving to the point where i can play most songs by ear now after over two years of playing self-taught.

I'm actually at the stage now that I think lessons are the best way to move forward. So anyone who gives or knows someone who gives lessons in South Queensferry, let me know.

I can understand the arguements behind starting on both electric and acoustic, i reckon it comes down to the individual themselves though. I started on electric and i reckon i preferred it far more than i would if i did acoustic.

I got lessons to begin with as well that were a great help. Your much more likely to stick with it if u have something to aim for imo, my teacher would give me a new song or technique to do every week.

Also, i dont know if its still up to much but Total Guitar taught me loads when i was just beginning, i used to buy it every month but havent for ages now.

Angry Haggis

Buy a tuner..its a must for a beginner. All that hard work and sore fingers and the thing aint even in tune.

Feel free to PM if you feel lik smashing the guitar to bits after one week :)

Buy a tuner..its a must for a beginner. All that hard work and sore fingers and the thing aint even in tune.

Feel free to PM if you feel lik smashing the guitar to bits after one week :)

Yeah definitely get a tuner. I've been playing for fifteen years so don't really need one but I still use it from time to time.

I agree with GA that you should get a decent, but not really expensive, acoustic guitar. I learned by getting the ultimate Beatles songbook and learning as many chords as I could. After I while I got an electric guitar and it all seemed easy.

Playing guitar is cool.

The various Ultimate Chord Songbooks are brilliant for learning to play songs you know and like, with simple chords to just play along. Still use mine after about 5 years when I just feel like picking up the guitar and playing without thinking.

As for accoustic v electric, i started on an argos accoustic for ?50! I'm now on a nice wee Taylor now, still only about ?300 I think, well worth a look. I do have an electric as well which I used more when in a band, but find I tend to play the accoustic a lot more now when just playing in the house. There's also the added expense of amps and leads etc., if you go for an electric.

It really depends what style of guitar you want to learn to play. If it's lead and face-melting solos go for electric, if you prefer more rhythm based then I'd go accoustic.

Mr God Awful Ugly

Archived