Free Virus checker

K1874M

Just about to download avg... is this still the best around for free?

My norton's just expired but dont really want to be paying for it.

I did the same yesterday, only I swapped from McAfee.

Seems okay to me. If it continues to be good I may look into finding a hooky copy of the AVG that they sell now! ;)

The Old Tolbooth

My PC threw a wobbly the other day mate, and I had Norton on it along with a spyware that I paid for which was bogus apparently. The bloke who lives across the way from me sorted it out and said that Norton was pish, and he put AVG 8.0 (free version) on it for me, along with Spybot, and also PC Tools Firewall Plus.

He reckons that will be enough to keep me safe, he also did things with blocking ports etc (don't ask lol) and a few other things, and it's running like a dream now.

Anyway, the bottom line is that he reckons AVG is the best one out there, and recommended to always perform a slow scan as it picks up more. It's all double dutch to me but I know the guy knows his stuff.

Commander Harris

in my opinion Avira antivir is now the best free anti-virus available. I was always a fan of AVG until recently but feel that it's been getting a bit bloated. also, scans seem to take far too long and it rarerly scan anywhere near all the files on disk.

Avira does give you the odd advert for one of their commercial products occassionally but I still think its less annoying than all AVGs messages.

in my opinion Avira antivir is now the best free anti-virus available. I was always a fan of AVG until recently but feel that it's been getting a bit bloated. also, scans seem to take far too long and it rarerly scan anywhere near all the files on disk.

Avira does give you the odd advert for one of their commercial products occassionally but I still think its less annoying than all AVGs messages.

AVG scans are taking over two hours both on my PC and on my laptop at work. Everything runs slow whilst it's scanning, anyway I can speed it up?

Commander Harris
AVG scans are taking over two hours both on my PC and on my laptop at work. Everything runs slow whilst it's scanning, anyway I can speed it up?

switch to Avira. :P

in all seriousness, that's just AVG in my experience. takes ages to do a full scan and I don't think there is much you can do to speed it up. If you do want to stick with AVG and don't mind leaving your computer on overnight you could just schedule the scan for when you're going to be tucked up in bed.

the voice from above
switch to Avira. :P

in all seriousness, that's just AVG in my experience. takes ages to do a full scan and I don't think there is much you can do to speed it up. If you do want to stick with AVG and don't mind leaving your computer on overnight you could just schedule the scan for when you're going to be tucked up in bed.

I'd agree, AVG is just slow as hell.

Guest Maroon Carpet

I am a past user of AVG free, and regarding the slowness of the complete scans, at the very beginning when the program is being installed you need to take the option for the fastest scan, I think it's the low priority, if this option is selected you will find the scanning fast.

If you have already installed AVG prior to taking the above option, and you are having trouble with very slow scans, then I am afraid that the low/high priority cannot be changed as you only get the option when first installing.

Now of course installs can change from time to time, so it may well be all different now, anyway keep a look out for anything regarding low or high priority and it should put an end to the slowness of scans using AVG..

Lastly of course if you have a very large hard drive of say 50% of 250GB has been used, then it will take time to scan that amount of data, some people think that if it takes longer then it must scan more files, I don't belive this to be true.

I would recommend Avast 4.8, Avast 5 will be out soon.

Guest Maroon Carpet
I'd recommend ESET's NOD32. Even at ?40.00 for a year.

To be honest there is no need to pay for an antivirus program these days, the free programs around are very reliable, apart from Norton that is, you just need to look at the number of folks that quite simply do not rate it having used it.

Avast and AVG would be my top 2.

I gave that a go after my mate said it was really good. I had to uninstall it after taking over ten minutes to update itself without any files actually being downloaded, slowing up my system to crippling proportions and not working at all. I eventually had to do a system restore to get it back to normal. After having a look about the internet, it seems im not the only one with such difficulties. Sticking with AVG until I find something better. Cant say ive had any messages with AVG and my test speed seems to be a lot faster than the two hours mentioned (but that of course coudl be the number of files i have?).

When it comes to these things, have a look around and pick one which suits you and your computer. In my experience its all a bit of hit and miss.

I've removed AVG and installed Avira : I now get a constant beeping message telling me it's found a virus. No matter whether I try to delete , quarantine etc , it still comes up with the same message.

Aaaaargh!!!

Commander Harris
I gave that a go after my mate said it was really good. I had to uninstall it after taking over ten minutes to update itself without any files actually being downloaded, slowing up my system to crippling proportions and not working at all. I eventually had to do a system restore to get it back to normal. After having a look about the internet, it seems im not the only one with such difficulties. Sticking with AVG until I find something better. Cant say ive had any messages with AVG and my test speed seems to be a lot faster than the two hours mentioned (but that of course coudl be the number of files i have?).

When it comes to these things, have a look around and pick one which suits you and your computer. In my experience its all a bit of hit and miss.

very strange, I've never had any problems with it. The updates are always very qiuck for me.

Commander Harris
I've removed AVG and installed Avira : I now get a constant beeping message telling me it's found a virus. No matter whether I try to delete , quarantine etc , it still comes up with the same message.

Aaaaargh!!!

it found a virus that AVG missed, it must be better :P

in all seriousness, don't really know how to help you here. sorry.

very strange, I've never had any problems with it. The updates are always very qiuck for me.

35k per second :rolleyes: for a 21Mb file.

it found a virus that AVG missed, it must be better :P

in all seriousness, don't really know how to help you here. sorry.

No worries , thanks for posting. As you say , it found something AVG didn't so I'll persevere for a bit.

Archived