Subbuteo

Griclesfield

Griclesfield

Does anyone out there still play this ?

was very time consuming but was probably one of the best games in its day.

I still have the World Cup 1978 edition which has not been opened .....but used to play with the Italy 90 version, the goals were smert as. . .

I remember when i was a nipper going to John Menzies ( now next ) in Princess St and buying a team of reds for ?4.99 and they could be Liverpool, Aberdeen, CIS .... was class.

Nucky Thompson

I loved that game when I was growing up:) When i got sick of a team, I would buy the wee tins of airfix paint and change the colours.

Miller Jambo 60
I loved that game when I was growing up:) When i got sick of a team, I would buy the wee tins of airfix paint and change the colours.

Myself and my mates played a league on a tuesday and thursday night(1975)we had the pitch on a board with the goals pinned down and the fence surround.

aye they were the days.:)

Just moved house recently and found about 12 teams a few goals and the Jules Reme Trophy,the scoreboard as well, i remember playing with my brother and if i got beat i used to jump over his team break all the legs then have to super glue them back together ( after getting a battering from him lol)

Just as a matter of interest, did you know that the name for the bird of prey ,Hobby, is Falco Subbuteo. Therefore Subbuteo must be a hobby ipso facto etc.......

ps I am a sad bird watcher amongst other things and I took latin at school.

I also had Ajax and Inter Milan as well as red and blue teams. Did anybody try to put the number-stickers on the backs of the players. Huge stickers, small players.

Could never get the creases out of the pitch so put the players on Scalextric track and run them over.

Could never get the creases out of the pitch so put the players on Scalextric track and run them over.

Takes me back that post so much.. You are so right about the creases. Never thought about pinning the pitch to a bit of hardboard.:rofl:

Doctor FinnBarr
Just as a matter of interest, did you know that the name for the bird of prey ,Hobby, is Falco Subbuteo. Therefore Subbuteo must be a hobby ipso facto etc.......

ps I am a sad bird watcher amongst other things and I took latin at school.

I also had Ajax and Inter Milan as well as red and blue teams. Did anybody try to put the number-stickers on the backs of the players. Huge stickers, small players.

I can handle you working with law enforcement, but bird watching!!!!

:confused:

Sheriff Fatman

Peter Adolph, the guy who invented it, wanted to call it 'Hobby', but he was not allowed to trademark the name so he called it Subbuteo instead.

I can handle you working with law enforcement, but bird watching!!!!

:confused:

Well if you think about it, observation is a key factor in both

Does anyone out there still play this ?

was very time consuming but was probably one of the best games in its day.

I still have the World Cup 1978 edition which has not been opened .....but used to play with the Italy 90 version, the goals were smert as. . .

I remember when i was a nipper going to John Menzies ( now next ) in Princess St and buying a team of reds for ?4.99 and they could be Liverpool, Aberdeen, CIS .... was class.

Yeh!, remember it well, we even had a league organised when we were kids. Even had a set of floodlights wi mine

and 2 teams, Hearts & Bishop Auckland ?!!:confused:

was just explaining this to an aussie over here last week...we used to have leagues every week at someones house with about 6 pitchs in use at once..had about 20 teams used to get them from menzies and also the toy shop at the foot of ardmillan terrace on Gorgie road(cant remember the name think it migght be the aquariam shop now)

have to admit i was a bit of a geek with it, used to build scoreboards etc myself to go along with it....

p.s just remebered having some cracking punch ups with my little brother over it as well!!

Denny Crane

And I had my own hooligan crew as my cat would frequently invade the pitch, destroy the goals (and players) and run off with the ball!

Here's me getting the astro pitch for Christmas in the 80s.

No of that cheap ****e they stuck in the box.

Xmas_thumb.jpg

I remember in addition to painting players (badly, especially an attempt at Peru in 1978) we used to double use teams. So therefore the cheap Brechin you picked up for sweeties handily became Uruguay for big tournaments.

Bert Le Clos

Hated it. Always thought there were better things to spend your teenage evenings flicking :whistling:

Hated it. Always thought there were better things to spend your teenage evenings flicking :whistling:

You don't flick.

You nudge:wacko:

Bert Le Clos
You don't flick.

You nudge:wacko:

I've never heard of bean nudging ;)

Archived