Rure Brittannia?

grumpyjambo

heartgarfunkel
http://scotlandonsunday.scotsman.com/latestnews/Ma39am-must-rhyme-with-ham.4306220.jp

Incredible that in the late 20th century the Queen behaved like that, dreadful way to treat people in the workplace.

Disgusting. The Bolsheviks had the right idea in 1918, as did the French in 1793.

Roll on the day that Scotland becomes a republic with these parasites thrown out.

Disgusting. The Bolsheviks had the right idea in 1918, as did the French in 1793.

Roll on the day that Scotland becomes a republic with these parasites thrown out.

Couldnt agree more. Will be a great, great day when it happens.

grumpyjambo

The People's Republic of Scotland

What a name that would be.

Another SOS non-story.

The Royal Yacht had a set of standards staff were expected to adhere to.

Amazing.:dramaqueen:

I'm just trying to imagine the alternative.

"OK lads, wear what you like, have a wee bouncy on deck if you're bored, whistle and sing through the night, and say anything you ******* like."

Yep, that'd work. :wacko::biggrin:

I had the good fortune to meet several of the sailors and marines from the yacht during the Royal visit to Bridgetown Barbados in 1988. The pub I walked into in the St. Lawrence Gap was packed with polite young men in dark slacks, white shirts and ties ... something no-one wears in Barbados. There was no chance of it being a Mormon meeting because Mormons don't drink!

And these guys were packing it away in a hurry!

Although polite and welcoming, they were also very reserved at first. Then they learned that I was an ex-British serviceman, and that we shared some mutual acquaintances, and I was soon being treated like a long-lost friend and comrade. They didn't allow me to pay for a drink.

Without exception, they loved service on the Royal Yacht, and considered it an elite post. The strict rules didn't bother any of them.

They told me some hilarious stories about incidents involving the Royals. In one of them, Prince Philip flew into a foul-mouthed rage and booted a fully loaded barbecue off the yacht and into the harbour because someone had lit the BBQ, and Philip always considered that to be his job!!!:P One of the guys I was speaking with had the hapless task of going into the harbour to retrieve the BBQ before the yacht sailed.

A quick poll of the ten or so crewmen at my table revealed that they all loved the Queen, they all disliked "The Greek" ( as they called him), and they all despised Princess Margaret.

The reference in the article that drunkenness was not permitted among the crew is a laugh. I had to leave the pub as I was approaching the comatose state .... leaving all the crewmen singing their heads off, still hammering back the local brew, with the night still young in their eyes.

They were some of the finest men I've ever met and a credit to their nation.

Archived