Kevin van Veen.

Stupid Sexy Flanders

Stupid Sexy Flanders

I see he's being released by Killie after having made zero impact for them. Motherwell seem to have a knack of signing players who are brilliant for them and absolutely rotten for anyone else! I wonder what the 'Well are doing differently, or is it just pure luck? 

(I'm not suggesting we sign him btw!)

Mikey1874

Dunno

One season wonder vibes like Connor Sammon. Interesting Kilmarnock barely used him. Zero starts. Played only 142 minutes.

Lovecraft
8 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Dunno

One season wonder vibes like Connor Sammon. Interesting Kilmarnock barely used him. Zero starts. Played only 142 minutes.

Yeah, but even then Sammon's goals came from assists from the boy they had on loan.  Eremenko or something.

Scott Leitch
31 minutes ago, Stupid Sexy Flanders said:

I see he's being released by Killie after having made zero impact for them. Motherwell seem to have a knack of signing players who are brilliant for them and absolutely rotten for anyone else! I wonder what the 'Well are doing differently, or is it just pure luck? 

He's away back to the Dutch team, not been released. No danger Killie could afford to keep him even if they wanted to. 

queensferryjambo

He seems a decent enough player but looking at his goal scoring through his entire career Motherwell seems to have been his best season by miles.

Other clubs he seemed to get any kind of a decent goals tally were 3rd and 4th Division Dutch clubs and that was a decade ago.

If match fit I don't doubt he would do a decent job for any SPFL club, but I doubt he would ever replicate what he done at Motherwell a couple of seasons ago.

Stupid Sexy Flanders
42 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Dunno

That's exactly what I mean, his one great season was at Motherwell. There's a few examples of this. Tony Watt & Louis Moult scored for fun for them, John Sutton before he came to us. It's just interesting. 

Heartsofgold

Players going there probably realise that the expectations are low so if they over perform then they have a chance of getting a decent move. 

Absolute Scenes

Glad we’ve been proved right in not going for him whilst half the forum was up his hoop for a one season wonder. Couldn’t get a game at Killie because he’s guff

Batistuta87
Posted (edited)

Think he needs to be playing regularly. He hardly kicked a ball for Killie because he wasn't match fit. 

If he's fit, a season long loan would be pretty much risk averse for us - if he can stay fit whilst maybe only playing 50% of the time. 

Have a feeling he'll end up at Dundee Utd. They'll make him their star man, and he'll score a few. 

Edited by Batistuta87

Theo Bair is another - absolutely rank everywhere, including St Johnstone. Now top scorer at Motherwell and some suggested he should be shortlisted for player of the year.

I'm putting his success down to Blair Spittal

:verysmug:

54 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

Think he needs to be playing regularly. He hardly kicked a ball for Killie because he wasn't match fit. 

If he's fit, a season long loan would be pretty much risk averse for us - if he can stay fit whilst maybe only playing 50% of the time. 

Have a feeling he'll end up at Dundee Utd. They'll make him their star man, and he'll score a few. 

Thats a fair point. If we do keep Shanks though, we'll have Boyce anyway and if we can check his ego - i.e that he's no longer capable of playing 38 games a season, and he will be used sparingly, then we maybe don't need another aging striker. 

No Idle Talk

I was never keen on the idea of us signing him. It was a relief when he signed elsewhere and all that chatter died down.

Bender

You'd think people would've learned from the last "prolific" striker we picked up from Motherwell.

j1964m

Van Veen great in a crap team found out in a good team and some people wanted hearts to sign him

soonbe110
3 hours ago, queensferryjambo said:

He seems a decent enough player but looking at his goal scoring through his entire career Motherwell seems to have been his best season by miles.

Other clubs he seemed to get any kind of a decent goals tally were 3rd and 4th Division Dutch clubs and that was a decade ago.

If match fit I don't doubt he would do a decent job for any SPFL club, but I doubt he would ever replicate what he done at Motherwell a couple of seasons ago.

He was a bit of a cult hero n his two spells at Scunny.  They actually turned down a £4m bid from a Chinese team for him as Alexander wanted to keep him.  Think it was also Alexander who brought him to Motherwell so he knew what he was doing. 
Probably past  his best now. 

Captain Canada

There's no way we should be considering Van Veen. I wouldn't be averse to a striker with more of a physical presence though. We're a bit one dimensional up front these days. 

Rudy T

If you had to go to that hovil every week you’d do anything you could to get out the place asap!

BackOfTheNet

I swear you could make an XI of the most championed players during a transfer window and it’d give some of our worst sides a run for its money. Van Veen was obviously never going to work. His career before Motherwell, his career after Motherwell and his age told us this, but some were champing at the bit to have him here. Don’t know why people can’t be nuanced. Instead they back a horse to the hilt that makes no sense backing. (See also writing off players after a game or so)

mr fox
5 hours ago, Stupid Sexy Flanders said:

You are correct they do seem to bring the best out players but also managers

as well. 

Mikey1874

Notable Derek McInnes praised his front 4 post match as crucial to Kilmarnock's success. Didn't need Van Veen. 

Life Aquatic

Was it McInnes' decision to bring Van Veen to the club? Feels like someone on the board saw his success at Motherwell and forced his hand. He never seemed to fit into McInnes gameplan

tiger Rudi
On 10/05/2024 at 15:00, Stupid Sexy Flanders said:

Purely financial. Mcinnes admitted as much. To be fair to Van Veen, he's not been match fit and the two front men at Killie have had a great season. He's not turned into a bad player overnight, would have taken him on loan in January no problem.

We won't be interested at all in paying big money on a transfer fee for him at his age, thankfully. 

Wilson looked an exciting prospect today...... let's develop one of our own!