Bikers

Rawrrrrrrr

What does the highway code/law say in regards to them.

It always annoys me when your driving along in traffic and they squeeze tthrough the middle of 2 cars often distracting your or at traffic lights force there way in front of you then slow you down when the lights change

Is this sort of manouvre legal?

forrester_jambo

It always annoys me when your driving along in traffic and they squeeze tthrough the middle of 2 cars often distracting your or at traffic lights force there way in front of you then slow you down when the lights change

omg mate get over it pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee lol,

its sat night who really cares?:wacko:

As long as there is a red cycle zone at the lights, cyclists have a right to move in front of the cars. I don't believe there is a law against bikes cycling through two rows of stationary, or slow moving, cars either.

What gets my goat is cars that stop on the three feet of "cyclist only" space at traffic lights. They're there for a reason! It's usually taxis too, and everyone knows they think they own the road...

As long as there is a red cycle zone at the lights, cyclists have a right to move in front of the cars. I don't believe there is a law against bikes cycling through two rows of stationary, or slow moving, cars either.

What gets my goat is cars that stop on the three feet of "cyclist only" space at traffic lights. They're there for a reason! It's usually taxis too, and everyone knows they think they own the road...

I more meant motorcyclists as opposed to cyclists

Cyclists are a pain but pretty much get away with everything due to the lack of licensing required, motorcycles on the other hand are licensed so im wondering the legality of them doing it

Tbh Id expect they would be subject to the same rules as cars and not allowed to weave etc but whether this is the case or not i have no idea

Highway code Rule 88 is the the only one I could see that seems to reference it. It appears "filtering" is legal provided its controlled.

"Manoeuvring. You should be aware of what is behind and to the sides before manoeuvring. Look behind you; use mirrors if they are fitted. When in traffic queues look out for pedestrians crossing between vehicles and vehicles emerging from junctions or changing lanes. Position yourself so that drivers in front can see you in their mirrors. Additionally, when filtering in slow-moving traffic, take care and keep your speed"

Don't know if thats what you mean

Riccarton 3

Grumpy is totally correct. Bikers can legally move through lines of cars. If this hacks anyone off then you could get a motorbike and join them. :)

chester copperpot
Grumpy is totally correct. Bikers can legally move through lines of cars. If this hacks anyone off then you could get a motorbike and join them. :)

I always envy motorcyclists when I'm stuck in traffic and they rattle through the middle of the 2 lanes.

Fair play to them though.

Or just narrow the gap and stop them ;)

Good Bikers appreciate Good Car drivers moving over slightly to allow them to pass, with a deft indication off the left hand, thus simply showing there appreciation.

I don't mind Bikers doing that at all, TBH.

It's the way some of them go about it that's a bit aggrivating. One of them slammed through my wing-mirror on the Queensferry Road, and proceeded to drive on through the traffic asthough it never happened.

I don't mind Bikers doing that at all, TBH.

It's the way some of them go about it that's a bit aggrivating. One of them slammed through my wing-mirror on the Queensferry Road, and proceeded to drive on through the traffic asthough it never happened.

i dont mind them either,unless they overtake me on drivers side when im on OUTSIDE lane doing 90mph

Brian Whittaker's Tache
Or just narrow the gap and stop them ;)

If someone does that to me I find bending their wing mirrors forward so they have to get out to readjust them does the trick

Say What Again

:troll:

:hobofish::hobofish:

If someone does that to me I find bending their wing mirrors forward so they have to get out to readjust them does the trick

i.e. Glorified vandalism.

Although i appreciate you're saying you'd do that if he'd tried to knock you off your bike, which is fair enough.

Brian Whittaker's Tache
i.e. Glorified vandalism.

Although i appreciate you're saying you'd do that if he'd tried to knock you off your bike, which is fair enough.

I've commuted on a bike for the past 8 years including 6 of those in London

I treat every car driver as an idiot which quite a few of them prove true on a regular basis, to stay alive

I treat every car driver as an idiot which quite a few of them prove true on a regular basis, to stay alive

If more car drivers did bike training we'd have a better quality of driver on the road.

BTW, I think you're being quite restrained in only adjusting the wing mirrors...if some see you next Tuesday did a manoeuvre as petty and ridiculous as the OP suggested I'd feel quite justified in kicking the fecker's mirror right off.

Then stopping and sticking it where the sun don't shine...and I don't mean Antartcica.

Indeed - how could you? :mw_tease:

Alcohol-induced ranting never does much for my spelling :laugh:...shall we say Antarctica, and leave it at that?

The Mighty Thor
I've commuted on a bike for the past 8 years including 6 of those in London

Very sensible stuff my man.

The things you see when filtering is amazing, people texting, on the phone, watching portable DVD players etc. A wee bit of mobile wing mirror re-adjustment is the least some of the trumpets that drive round our major cities deserve.

I always envy motorcyclists when I'm stuck in traffic and they rattle through the middle of the 2 lanes.

Fair play to them though.

It's even better when you do it like I do - with the front wheel hoisted in the air. Cool as....;)

Walter Kidd
It's even better when you do it like I do - with the front wheel hoisted in the air. Cool as....;)

Mid life crisis alert.;)

Mid life crisis alert.;)

Get that manoeuvre wrong in the middle of traffic and it might be end life crisis alert. :eek:

I take great care to watch out for bikers and cyclists when I'm driving - my first driving instructor was a biker and more or less hammered the lesson into me. Unfortunately, a lot of bikers are part of the problem.

It's not a competition, folks.

Get that manoeuvre wrong in the middle of traffic and it might be end life crisis alert. :eek:

I take great care to watch out for bikers and cyclists when I'm driving - my first driving instructor was a biker and more or less hammered the lesson into me. Unfortunately, a lot of bikers are part of the problem.

It's not a competition, folks.

I know a few guys who have hurt themselves on bikes and it's pretty much always been the fault of idiot car drivers. You can't legislate for morons behind the wheel.

I know a few guys who have hurt themselves on bikes and it's pretty much always been the fault of idiot car drivers. You can't legislate for morons behind the wheel.

Same here, but I also know a couple of guys - particularly younger guys - who have hurt themselves on bikes without any need for help from eejits in cars.

One message my first driving instructor repeated to me ad nauseam was to always assume that everyone else on the road was either stupid or not paying attention, and drive accordingly. I sometimes forget to do that - a lot of drivers forget to do that. But a lot of bikers forget this as well, and they are so much more at risk of injury or death if an accident happens.

Agree Uly - many bikers could do a lot more to keep themselves safer.

Usually control the right hand a bit better.

Same here, but I also know a couple of guys - particularly younger guys - who have hurt themselves on bikes without any need for help from eejits in cars.

One message my first driving instructor repeated to me ad nauseam was to always assume that everyone else on the road was either stupid or not paying attention, and drive accordingly. I sometimes forget to do that - a lot of drivers forget to do that. But a lot of bikers forget this as well, and they are so much more at risk of injury or death if an accident happens.

I bet the stats about single vehicle accidents and fault accidents involving bikers would speak for themself

I bet the stats about single vehicle accidents and fault accidents involving bikers would speak for themself

Go seek instead of speculating. :thumb:

The sheer arrogance being shown from the Bikers in this thread has now changed my perspective. I will now ensure that i'm blocking off their convenient little quick route.

To be fair, I only wheelie past them if the traffic's at a standstill. I wouldn't do it when it's moving.

Incidentally, if I spot anyone like S.N.T.H deliberately blocking my progress, they will be buying a new wing mirror. ;)

To be fair, I only wheelie past them if the traffic's at a standstill. I wouldn't do it when it's moving.

Incidentally, if I spot anyone like S.N.T.H deliberately blocking my progress, they will be buying a new wing mirror. ;)

wheelie3.jpg

Archived