Midfield !!!!!!

MR INCREDIBLE

MR INCREDIBLE

None of todays midfielders should be starting next season if we want to improve.

Hoff is a definite starter and we will have Spittal and Dhanda.

Also be good if we could tempt Philips  from St Johnstone!!

hearts00
1 minute ago, MR INCREDIBLE said:

None of todays midfielders should be starting next season if we want to improve.

Devlin has shown a lot in the last few games and will play a part next season. 

Yes I suspect Beni is away and Grant will be a squad player. 

Lone Striker
3 minutes ago, MR INCREDIBLE said:

Yep, Hoff is the best of the current midfield squad - we need loads more creativity next season.  Agree with you about Phillips, but delighted that Dhanda & Spittal will be Hearts players soon.

Carter
17 minutes ago, hearts00 said:

Devlin has shown a lot in the last few games and will play a part next season. 

Yes I suspect Beni is away and Grant will be a squad player. 

If Grant and Devlin are here and play any part next season it'll be a sign that we're not progressing. Grant consistently fails to deliver in these types of games. Devlin is just nowhere near what we need. 

1 hour ago, Lone Striker said:

Yep, Hoff is the best of the current midfield squad - 

Sums it up , midfield and right back are critical recruitment areas 

Ricardo Quaresma
1 hour ago, Carter said:

If Grant and Devlin are here and play any part next season it'll be a sign that we're not progressing. Grant consistently fails to deliver in these types of games. Devlin is just nowhere near what we need. 

Naismith's been working with Devlin for a long time and I think he'll give him more time, at least until Christmas and I would assume quite possibly the summer after that

Remember he said he didn't want too much disruption regarding ins and outs

Devlin made a bad decision to pass back in the 2nd half yesterday but not bad otherwise, I thought

Watt-Zeefuik

You don't build a good team by chasing off your mid-level performers in the hopes that you're going to be able to find substantial upgrades on all of them. You try to bring in players that improve you and hopefully turn your old starters into squad players.

Running off players like Devlin, Rowles, and Grant because they don't match your pipe dreams of what Hearts could be is madness.

Negan
3 hours ago, savage said:

Some deluded individuals in here

This

soonbe110
8 hours ago, Carter said:

Agree he is inconsistent but he was excellent in the two previous games against Celtic so it isn’t a case of ‘these’ type of games. It’s a bit of a conundrum tbh. 

19/05/2012
9 hours ago, MR INCREDIBLE said:

if you think Phillips will be better than Beni I think you are in for a shock. Careful what you wish for as Beni, Devlin and Hoff are comfortably the third best midfield in the league.

Wasn't so long ago that Hof was being criticised on here, but before injury he had really found his feet. Next season could be big for him.

Losing Beni would be my biggest concern. For as much as he can be frustrating these days, and a bit more hesitant in his tackles (which is understandable) he reads play so well and gives the midfield balance. His passing and dribbling is unreal at times. Not easy to replace what he brings.

Rudy T
28 minutes ago, RS86 said:

Wasn't so long ago that Hof was being criticised on here, but before injury he had really found his feet. Next season could be big for him.

Losing Beni would be my biggest concern. For as much as he can be frustrating these days, and a bit more hesitant in his tackles (which is understandable) he reads play so well and gives the midfield balance. His passing and dribbling is unreal at times. Not easy to replace what he brings.

While I agree he brings plenty to the team I always feel with Beni he plays within himself. There’s times where he gets into trouble then pulls out a trick or two to get back out of trouble, the rest of the game he just cruises about the pitch. IMO he could be far more dynamic and really control games. I wouldn’t be keen to see him go but sometimes feel he just needs to give a bit more. 

MR INCREDIBLE
37 minutes ago, 19/05/2012 said:

if you think Phillips will be better than Beni I think you are in for a shock. Careful what you wish for as Beni, Devlin and Hoff are comfortably the third best midfield in the league.

I’ve seen enough from Philips in about 5 mins to tell me he will be better than Beni !!

* He never shat it out of a tackle 👍

*He didn’t just give up when the other team were on the break 👍

*He won a header 👍

*He had a shot on goal 👍

*He can pass forwards as well as sideways 👍

*He can RUN !!!!!👍

Could go on but would be here all day 🇱🇻🇱🇻

Pasquale for King
46 minutes ago, 19/05/2012 said:

Well said. We will need to spend money or pay good wages to get someone better than Beni, Dan Phillips is not that guy. 

Pasquale for King
7 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

While I agree he brings plenty to the team I always feel with Beni he plays within himself. There’s times where he gets into trouble then pulls out a trick or two to get back out of trouble, the rest of the game he just cruises about the pitch. IMO he could be far more dynamic and really control games. I wouldn’t be keen to see him go but sometimes feel he just needs to give a bit more. 

That must frustrate the manager too, he started the game well yesterday and they were all popping it about with 1 or 2 touches and he played a great ball over the top for Shankland in the 2nd half. 

Pasquale for King
Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, MR INCREDIBLE said:

I’ve seen enough from Philips in about 5 mins to tell me he will be better than Beni !!

*He won a header 👍

*He had a shot on goal 👍

*He can RUN !!!!!👍

Thats why he’s been at St Jobnstone for years and they’re not that bothered about him leaving.
I have been watching him for weeks and I am even less impressed with him now. 
I think we need a few bigger guys in the team also. 

Edited by Pasquale for King
Spelling

Gordons left glove

Before the semi and today everyone was saying how grants turned a corner and good enough for us. Yeah I agree he hasn't turned up in those big games but even shankland didn't perform well in both games. Some fans are very bipolar.

i8hibsh

Starting a midfielder who is taller than 5 foot 2 and weighs more than 6 kilos would be a start.

Pasquale for King
22 minutes ago, Gordons left glove said:

Before the semi and today everyone was saying how grants turned a corner and good enough for us. Yeah I agree he hasn't turned up in those big games but even shankland didn't perform well in both games. Some fans are very bipolar.

Grant is a luxury we can’t afford, he will be behind Dhanda next season and won’t play that much. Hes had a run of games now and doesn’t do much, wants far too long on the ball and just isn’t good enough. 

spacerjoe
41 minutes ago, MR INCREDIBLE said:

*He won a header 👍

*He had a shot on goal 👍

*He can RUN !!!!!👍

Thats some 5 mins from him! And you're saying there's more that you haven't mentioned??

Fair play, get him ****ing signed!!

gordiegords

Devlin really playing well the last few games and starting to show a different side to his game, i think he wil stay and play a part next season.

Hoff really come onto a game until his injury, will defo be a starter next season.

Beni will be away.

spittal and Dhanda will defo be adding something we miss.

Cant wait!

Debut 4
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Watt-Zeefuik said:

You don't build a good team by chasing off your mid-level performers in the hopes that you're going to be able to find substantial upgrades on all of them. You try to bring in players that improve you and hopefully turn your old starters into squad players.

Running off players like Devlin, Rowles, and Grant because they don't match your pipe dreams of what Hearts could be is madness.

Spot on. I’m always for improving and I never get too attached to players that it stops me seeing they have got worse or there’s a better player coming in who are rightfully taking their place.  However, it’s got to be done in stages.

You need to be sure new players are fitting in, settling in and hitting the levels they need at Hearts.  We are all eager to see Hearts hit another level but impatience is dangerous.

I do think some positions can be quickly remedied though. (CH, RB and another forward to back up Shankland).  Midfield will probably see careful exchanges while maintaining a couple of regulars.  (Well documented already)

Edited by Debut 4

NottsJambo
8 hours ago, savage said:

Some deluded individuals in here

5 hours ago, Negan said:

This

This X2

Lone Striker

Not sure anyone here is "chasing off" our average performers - just looking for upgrades who will either force the average ones to up their game, or relegate them to the bench (unless the club decides to sell them)

Lone Striker
1 hour ago, Pasquale for King said:

Well said. We will need to spend money or pay good wages to get someone better than Beni, Dan Phillips is not that guy. 

We've got 2 good midfielders coming and it hasn't cost us a penny so far

alicante jambo

Im looking forward to dhanda coming in. The guy loves going forward and got a brilliant strike on him. He will set up chances for our forwards for sure.

Bazzas right boot

Correct

Pasquale for King
Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

We've got 2 good midfielders coming and it hasn't cost us a penny so far

They are not replacements for Beni, and Dan Phillips wont be either. To get a better player than Beni we will need to buy someone or pay decent wages to a higher level player.
We wont be making these two guys our highest paid players, but they’re an upgrade on Forrest/Grant/Boyce/Fraser. 

Spelling

4marsbars
2 hours ago, Rudy T said:

He doesn't cruise. He constantly moves into spaces giving his team-mates an out-ball, a vital part of the team.

Rudy T
1 minute ago, 4marsbars said:

He doesn't cruise. He constantly moves into spaces giving his team-mates an out-ball, a vital part of the team.

Yes I know which is why I said he brings plenty to the team and I wouldn’t want him to leave.

But watch him in games there’s times when he could drive forward or beat a man, he doesn’t do that unless he absolutely has too, I’m certainly not suggesting he does this everytime often just keeping the ball moving is the right decision, but there’s times where he could open up a game with a deep run or taking it round one man, he doesn’t do that enough for me for a guy with his ability.

IMO it’ll hold him back from reaching his real potential, which might not be a bad thing for us in the grand scheme of things.

Jocam2325
2 hours ago, MR INCREDIBLE said:

*He won a header 👍

*He had a shot on goal 👍

*He can RUN !!!!!👍

I don't think you know much about football if you think Phillips would in any way be sn upgrade ability wise on Beni. You don't know what you've got till it's gone. 

MR INCREDIBLE
2 hours ago, Jocam2325 said:

I don't think you know much about football if you think Phillips would in any way be sn upgrade ability wise on Beni. You don't know what you've got till it's gone. 

Aye right mate 😂😂

I’ve heard plenty of people with a good knowledge of the game talk highly of Philips !

And the energy he would bring to the midfield would be like night and day to Beni strolling about like he doesn’t give a toss !

Watt-Zeefuik
8 hours ago, Debut 4 said:

Spot on. I’m always for improving and I never get too attached to players that it stops me seeing they have got worse or there’s a better player coming in who are rightfully taking their place.  However, it’s got to be done in stages.

You need to be sure new players are fitting in, settling in and hitting the levels they need at Hearts.  We are all eager to see Hearts hit another level but impatience is dangerous.

I do think some positions can be quickly remedied though. (CH, RB and another forward to back up Shankland).  Midfield will probably see careful exchanges while maintaining a couple of regulars.  (Well documented already)

Even at our biggest position of need, RB, I think it would be a terrible mistake to run off Natty at this point. He's a serviceable RB and on his day he can add quite a lot. The problem is those days aren't consistent and he's still making mistakes. I still hope (though it's fading) he can iron that out and kick on, but even if not, I'd far rather have him available than just bring in another Lembikisa who's promising but ultimately is a downgrade at the position's most critical tasks and not have Natty to fall back on.

7 hours ago, Lone Striker said:

Not sure anyone here is "chasing off" our average performers - just looking for upgrades who will either force the average ones to up their game, or relegate them to the bench (unless the club decides to sell them)

I'm trying not to beef directly with other posters here but there are multiple folk in posts just above mine saying that if any of these players are involved next season it's a travesty.  That's nonsense. Of course they'll be involved, even if we manage to get upgrades.

We've had 30 players make appearances so far for us this season. There's already a significant number of those who won't make any next season. There are players like Halliday and Haring who are clearly done with their contributions to Hearts and it's time to send them on with all our best wishes. There are players like Lembikisa and Fraser who will quietly conclude their loans (or already have in the case of Offiah and Lowry). And that's before we even get to losing some of our consistent performers like Shanks, Beni, and Cochrane. On that list alone that's potentially 9 players we'll need to replace, and I've likely forgotten some.

Yes, there are players like James Wilson who will likely start to see a bit of competitive time on the pitch with the first team, and players like Tait whom we hope to see more of. Still that leaves 7 contributors to replace possibly, which is a busy offseason already. On what planet is it a good idea to up the stakes and run that up to 10-12 players by chasing off our average performers?

Madness.

Lone Striker
1 hour ago, Watt-Zeefuik said:

Even at our biggest position of need, RB, I think it would be a terrible mistake to run off Natty at this point. He's a serviceable RB and on his day he can add quite a lot. The problem is those days aren't consistent and he's still making mistakes. I still hope (though it's fading) he can iron that out and kick on, but even if not, I'd far rather have him available than just bring in another Lembikisa who's promising but ultimately is a downgrade at the position's most critical tasks and not have Natty to fall back on.

I'm trying not to beef directly with other posters here but there are multiple folk in posts just above mine saying that if any of these players are involved next season it's a travesty.  That's nonsense. Of course they'll be involved, even if we manage to get upgrades.

We've had 30 players make appearances so far for us this season. There's already a significant number of those who won't make any next season. There are players like Halliday and Haring who are clearly done with their contributions to Hearts and it's time to send them on with all our best wishes. There are players like Lembikisa and Fraser who will quietly conclude their loans (or already have in the case of Offiah and Lowry). And that's before we even get to losing some of our consistent performers like Shanks, Beni, and Cochrane. On that list alone that's potentially 9 players we'll need to replace, and I've likely forgotten some.

Yes, there are players like James Wilson who will likely start to see a bit of competitive time on the pitch with the first team, and players like Tait whom we hope to see more of. Still that leaves 7 contributors to replace possibly, which is a busy offseason already. On what planet is it a good idea to up the stakes and run that up to 10-12 players by chasing off our average performers?

Madness.

👍 As you say, overhauls need to be done gradually, especially when we'll have a full set of Euro league fixtures  too.  I'd guess that we'll be signing at least another 4 in the summer, in addition to the 3 we've got on pre-contracts.  Lewis Neilson returning too.

Bender
10 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

Grant is a luxury we can’t afford, he will be behind Dhanda next season and won’t play that much. Hes had a run of games now and doesn’t do much, wants far too long on the ball and just isn’t good enough. 

He's a more than capable squad player for a club like ours. People need to stop looking at just the starting 11 and start thinking about the squad in general, particularly when we're going to have the pressures of Europe too.

bawheed
21 hours ago, Carter said:

SN and the back room staff are constantly looking for players to improve and strengthen the team.

Slagging off current players that have achieved 3rd spot with three games to go

shows your lack of class and football knowledge.

Devlin has had some absolutely fantastic performances this season. His work rate and stamina is a huge asset and is pretty much unrivalled at our level. Naisy recognises this and is trying to develop other sides to his game which we are getting to see the evidence of. He is worth persisting with because if it works out we will have some player on our hands. 

Boyces beard
5 minutes ago, DS98 said:

Devlin has had some absolutely fantastic performances this season. His work rate and stamina is a huge asset and is pretty much unrivalled at our level. Naisy recognises this and is trying to develop other sides to his game which we are getting to see the evidence of. He is worth persisting with because if it works out we will have some player on our hands. 

This

I dont know how some people cant see this, its crazy. Devlin would be a huge loss if we where to lose him or move him on as some fans seem to want.

Carter
28 minutes ago, bawheed said:

SN and the back room staff are constantly looking for players to improve and strengthen the team.

Slagging off current players that have achieved 3rd spot with three games to go

shows your lack of class and football knowledge.

I'm not slagging off anyone. I'm stating my view that retaining two players in the current group will be a sign that we're not progressing. Spittal and Dhanda looks like the end of the road for Grant. 

Third is in line with expectation as far as I'm concerned. It's been an incredibly poor league this season. Rangers and Celtic have been mediocre based on previous campaigns yet we're likely to lose six times to Rangers this season. Dundee, St Mirren and Kilmarnock making up the top 6 suggest it's been a very poor campaign.

FIGJAM
23 hours ago, MR INCREDIBLE said:

Gotta play Tait. This guy is the future. Can we please not give minutes to people not here next year.

Assuming we're playing with a midfield 3 I assume we want 3 different players:

Ball winner - Devlin? Phillips? Beni?

Creative type - Dhanda

Midfielder that makes things happen Hoff ?

Whilst also all 3 being able to attack and defend when needed. 

I think we've lacked a midfielder that can dictate games. Grant I think is supposed to do that but doesn't. Dhanda could be that player. 

bawheed
41 minutes ago, Boyces beard said:

This

I dont know how some people cant see this, its crazy. Devlin would be a huge loss if we where to lose him or move him on as some fans seem to want.

100%

JimmyCant
22 minutes ago, OTT said:

Assuming we're playing with a midfield 3 I assume we want 3 different players:

Ball winner - Devlin? Phillips? Beni?

Creative type - Dhanda

Midfielder that makes things happen Hoff ?

Whilst also all 3 being able to attack and defend when needed. 

I think we've lacked a midfielder that can dictate games. Grant I think is supposed to do that but doesn't. Dhanda could be that player. 

Don’t forget Spittal. I think we’ve overlooked what he brings. Good player. Certainly an upgrade on Grant. May prove to be a better signing than Dhanda. Both of those should mean our one striker doesn’t have to drop deep so often. (I think we’ll change the system in the attacking sense next season anyway)

mr fox
23 hours ago, Carter said:

100% agree with grant but I think there is a serious player in devlin.

Pasquale for King
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Bender said:

He's a more than capable squad player for a club like ours. People need to stop looking at just the starting 11 and start thinking about the squad in general, particularly when we're going to have the pressures of Europe too.

Hes a very expensive squad player, he didn’t come up here for crap wages, guys like Atkinson/Forrest/Sibbick are squad players, he’s been a bit of a waste of money so far really. 
Hes not going anywhere but shouldn’t be given another contract just for continuity. 

Spelling

Pasquale for King
8 hours ago, MR INCREDIBLE said:

Aye right mate 😂😂

I’ve heard plenty of people with a good knowledge of the game talk highly of Philips !

And the energy he would bring to the midfield would be like night and day to Beni strolling about like he doesn’t give a toss !

Could you list these folk or give us links please?

MR INCREDIBLE
3 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Could you list these folk or give us links please?

No can’t be arsed 👍

44 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Don’t forget Spittal. I think we’ve overlooked what he brings. Good player. Certainly an upgrade on Grant. May prove to be a better signing than Dhanda. Both of those should mean our one striker doesn’t have to drop deep so often. (I think we’ll change the system in the attacking sense next season anyway)

Very true! Think both Spittal and Dhanda bring a big upgrade on our attacking talent. Shankland supported by Barrie on the left, Spittal on the right and Dhanda behind is a massive, massive upgrade on what we've seen this season. 

I still would like to see Armstrong, because he's obviously quality and can actually deliver a ball but nothing to say that Spittal and Dhanda won't be able to do the business for us. One of my big takeaways this season is that we don't have a competent corner taker. Cochrane butchers them, Grant is erratic, Forrest somehow can't cross a dead ball and McKays never amount to anything. Dhanda IIRC takes a good one, and if we could get Armstrong he too could do that (as set pieces have been the backbone of McInnes' Killie team).