Leaving Edinburgh (thoughts and experiences)

gordiegords

gordiegords

After living here for around 14 years now I’m thinking about moving away, about an hours drive to a small town in an area I’m originally from, I live in Gorgie and as much as it has its benefits (being a ten minute walk to my seat at Tynecastle) I’m starting to grow a bit tired of the city life, the traffic is murder and the roads ain’t great, gorgie itself is getting pretty run down imo, more and glass on the pavements (not good when you have a dog) and a good amount of dog foul as well, Ive just came back from a walk with the dog and was approached by a lassie who thought i was her drug dealer! I wasn’t, he arrived about ten seconds later.

Anyway, of course there is the flip side, id have a longer commute to work, I love parts of the city and how easy it can be sometimes to move around and of course being this close to hearts but the truth is i I don’t have a close group of mates here and I don’t have a partner so I’m thinking about bailing out.

Interested to hear of other folks who have left and have either regretted it or actually its been a good thing for them

HHGH

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• gordiegords

• il Duce McTarkin

• Hansel

• New Town Loafer

hughesie27

As long as the commute doesn't get in the way too much then go for it. 

Alternatively try an area a bit further out from the City Centre? 

Cranston

Funnily enough, I was thinking along similar lines myself this afternoon. However, I've already moved out of Edinburgh, around three years ago now. I  moved down the East Coast, about a forty minute drive to Edinburgh now. The reason, I was thinking about it was, that I was in Longstone today, and noticed the shops barbers, across from Ladbrokes was shut down, and the Longstone Inn, well, what a dump it looks, covered in graffiti, and the area looked run down compared to how I remembered it. I was glad to get back to the peace and quiet, the countryside, the quiet of the A1 after Musselburgh. Vast swathes of Edinburgh have went downhill, and been neglected, while the affluent parts such as the Braids etc are well looked after and maintained to a high standard. I lived in Edinburgh for decades, and I would be very reluctant to move back there.

hughesie27
11 minutes ago, Cranston said:

Funnily enough, I was thinking along similar lines myself this afternoon. However, I've already moved out of Edinburgh, around three years ago now. I  moved down the East Coast, about a forty minute drive to Edinburgh now. The reason, I was thinking about it was, that I was in Longstone today, and noticed the shops barbers, across from Ladbrokes was shut down, and the Longstone Inn, well, what a dump it looks, covered in graffiti, and the area looked run down compared to how I remembered it. I was glad to get back to the peace and quiet, the countryside, the quiet of the A1 after Musselburgh. Vast swathes of Edinburgh have went downhill, and been neglected, while the affluent parts such as the Braids etc are well looked after and maintained to a high standard. I lived in Edinburgh for decades, and I would be very reluctant to move back there.

The whole barbers building is being turned into flats and they've relocated up to Slateford Road. Just a month or so ago.

Cranston
2 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

The whole barbers building is being turned into flats and they've relocated up to Slateford Road. Just a month or so ago.

👍

Thanks for the info. 

More flats, wow. Hope they look better the recently built ones just up the road near the car dealers, big grilles over the windows, Look more like prison blocks. Yet up the Braids, the new flats look lovely, sympathetically done to match in with the area, and probably prices to match. I'm just glad I've managed to move to a lovely area near the sea, with almost zero crime, and quiet roads, with no restrictions on parking. There's less amenities, which is the downside, but I'm happy to have made what was a life changing decision.

Hansel

I moved out to West lothian about 8 years ago so i could afford to buy somewhere. I don't miss the traffic that's for sure. I do miss the Edinburgh bus service though. The bus service where I am isn't great.

We have two cars in our household and looking at getting rid of one because of cost of living. But that means I'd be struggling to get to work on time in Livingston coz of the shan bus times and length of commute because the bus goes through every wee town on the way.

Looking at getting a bike but that'll be rubbish in winter.

Don't miss edinburgh as much as I thought I would but that's coz I'm older and not too bothered about drinking and clubbing etc

BlueRiver

Pros and cons as with everything. 

I'm originally from outside the city, spent a few years in it and missed the country, moved back out and miss aspects of the city. I'd just say move somewhere that's relatively close with good transport links if you're still in for the odd drinking session and day out. Kinda end up with best of both worlds. 

N Lincs Jambo

I'm with @Taffin on this one. I originally left Edinburgh in 1981 to go to uni. Sort of had a year back 1988-89 but moved down south in July 1989 and have been here ever since. Bottom line is I couldn't afford to move back to Edinburgh now. Every time I get back up the road I think why did I move? My middle daugher graduated last year from the Napier and spends more time in Edinburgh than I do. Jealous, moi?? 

il Duce McTarkin
2 hours ago, gordiegords said:

After living here for around 14 years now I’m thinking about moving away, about an hours drive to a small town in an area I’m originally from, I live in Gorgie and as much as it has its benefits (being a ten minute walk to my seat at Tynecastle) I’m starting to grow a bit tired of the city life, the traffic is murder and the roads ain’t great, gorgie itself is getting pretty run down imo, more and glass on the pavements (not good when you have a dog) and a good amount of dog foul as well, Ive just came back from a walk with the dog and was approached by a lassie who thought i was her drug dealer! I wasn’t, he arrived about ten seconds later.

Anyway, of course there is the flip side, id have a longer commute to work, I love parts of the city and how easy it can be sometimes to move around and of course being this close to hearts but the truth is i I don’t have a close group of mates here and I don’t have a partner so I’m thinking about bailing out.

Interested to hear of other folks who have left and have either regretted it or actually its been a good thing for them

HHGH

Move to Oxgangs. 

Auld Reekin'

We moved down to the eastern Borders over seven years ago and I can't see any future circumstance that would make me want to move back to Edinburgh, or any other city for that matter.

I couldn't afford to now, anyway, so it's just as well! :jj:

Howdy Doody Jambo

I grew up in Gorgie went to Tynecastle school etc and it's shitville now compared to the 70s and 80s

Just move and if it doesn't work out there just move again until it does What's for you will not go past you Let's be honest, it's not just Gorgie that's in the bin many parts of Edinburgh and Scotland and the UK in general has lost its way and needs major investment into infrastructure, social service's , housing etc etc sign of the times those with the power of making decisions have made the wrong decisions for the majority, but probably the best decisions for themselves

drug and crime problems seem to be very common everywhere , sad times, it's going to take some bold decisions to unfcuk this country 

If carlsberg did rivals...

I'd leave in a heartbeat if i could. Edinburgh has gone downhill dramatically in the last 15/20 years. The roads and pavements are a joke, there's litter and graffiti everywhere, you can't move for junkies, jakies and beggars. Apart from that, it's lovely!

joondalupjambo
Posted (edited)

I suspect that folk will need to go that bit further away from the city now to make it worthwhile due to high house prices in some of the closer commutes so that could be an issue.  The OP does not say if they will rent or buy away from the city so this might not be an issue if renting although I suspect even that can be too expensive closer to the city.  Also no mention of working.

If you are going to jump ship the method we used  was that we looked for decent road access and train easily accessible, and guess a fast bus service now would be the starting point as well.   We mapped out all the options in and out of town and looked carefully at the pinch points for traffic, travel and housing costs and what each option had to offer.   We narrowed it down to three locations, started doing several day trips to each to suss them all out, costed each and then for the one we chose stayed there for a week to test everything.  

We juggled it all until we got a location that was affordable, costs were manageable and the most important thing for us, time was considered.  Less time traveling meant more time enjoying the new and old locations.  All a bit anal sounding but all the planning was well worth it and we ended up in Aberdour which was a great wee place at the time.  We moved into deeper, darkest Fife after that and have never regretted being away from Edinburgh.

Edited by joondalupjambo

gordiegords
Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, joondalupjambo said:

I suspect that folk will need to go that bit further away from the city now to make it worthwhile due to high house prices in some of the closer commutes so that could be an issue.  The OP does not say if they will rent or buy away from the city so this might not be an issue if renting although I suspect even that can be too expensive closer to the city.  Also no mention of working.

If you are going to jump ship the method we used  was that we looked for decent road access and train easily accessible, and guess a fast bus service now would be the starting point as well.   We mapped out all the options in and out of town and looked carefully at the pinch points for traffic, travel and housing costs and what each option had to offer.   We narrowed it down to three locations, started doing several day trips to each to suss them all out, costed each and then for the one we chose stayed there for a week to test everything.  

We juggled it all until we got a location that was affordable, costs were manageable and the most important thing for us, time was considered.  Less time traveling meant more time enjoying the new and old locations.  All a bit anal sounding but all the planning was well worth it and we ended up in Aberdour which was a great wee place at the time.  We moved into deeper, darkest Fife after that and have never regretted being away from Edinburgh.

Some great replies, for the record I would be selling my flat and buying a lovely wee cottage away from here, in terms of commute at the moment I work a couple of days in Edinburgh, a couple in kirkaldy and one in Perth, I’d gain time on going to Perth as where I might be going in only 20 mins from Perth, but it would take me an hour to get to Edinburgh where as now I have the luxury of only being 20 mins from my work.

pros and cons in everything for sure, the option of moving just a bit further out would defeat the purpose as one of the reasons I’m going is to be closer to my dad and other people I know. My dads in his 80s now and he gets the train to the games but if I was up there I would drive us to the games.

i love Edinburgh but something in me is beginning to like the peace and quiet, maybe that’s just cause one of my neighbours is doing my head in with the noise but the general hustle and bustle is starting to wear thin. 

a little more context 🙂

Edited by gordiegords

Stuart Lyon

But won't you miss the trams and fixed cycleways?

CostaJambo
2 hours ago, joondalupjambo said:

Brilliant post. Well impressed with the level of planning! My family are always taking the **** for the amount of planning I do but boy can it pay off at times. If you ever happen to be taking the kids on holiday to the theme parks in Florida let me know and I can reduce your ride queue times by about 80%!!!

Not sure if this applies to OP if he already knows the area he wants to move to well but I would definitely spend some time there and ask locals what are the biggest changes recently, what are the main drawbacks etc. etc. before pulling the trigger as the grass always appears greener and everywhere seems to be going down the crapper these days no matter where you look. 

Taffin
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, N Lincs Jambo said:

I'm with @Taffin on this one. I originally left Edinburgh in 1981 to go to uni. Sort of had a year back 1988-89 but moved down south in July 1989 and have been here ever since. Bottom line is I couldn't afford to move back to Edinburgh now. Every time I get back up the road I think why did I move? My middle daugher graduated last year from the Napier and spends more time in Edinburgh than I do. Jealous, moi?? 

Every time I'm back I realise how much I miss it. You don't realise how great it is until your gone. I'm lucky now as I can be in central London in 45 mins so that helps but nowhere else I've lived holds a candle to Edinburgh.

Edit: also @gordiegords, on the cost front too you'll be surprised just how expensive other places are too by the way unless you live in North England. People from Edinburgh talk about how expensive Edinburgh is but I've lived in Cardiff, Warwick and Milton Keynes and prices are just as high for rent and buying. The only saving grace (Cardiff aside) is the salary down here tends to be better.

Edited by Taffin

JudyJudyJudy

Can’t see me leaving the city . 

The Real Maroonblood
3 hours ago, If carlsberg did rivals... said:

I'd leave in a heartbeat if i could. Edinburgh has gone downhill dramatically in the last 15/20 years. The roads and pavements are a joke, there's litter and graffiti everywhere, you can't move for junkies, jakies and beggars. Apart from that, it's lovely!

You missed out cyclists.

Taffin
4 hours ago, If carlsberg did rivals... said:

That's the UK as a whole in my experience. Trust me, it's a lot worse elsewhere. At least in Edinburgh you've the cost and the hills on your doorstep.

New Town Loafer

Have only just bought my first flat in Murrayfield and have a child on the way, but I'm already thinking about the future and I'm not sure I'd want to raise a family in Edinburgh.

So expensive and can't help but feel I'd get far more bang for my buck in terms of property if I stayed in East Lothian or the Borders.

Ron Burgundy

I will be forced to leave Edinburgh when I retire, rent is just too much. Will be gutted.

Ray Gin

Reminds me of Stewart Lee's routine about people who move out of the city to the countryside for the "quality of life" and end up bored to tears, desperately pleading with their friends to come and visit them and emphasising repeatedly that they should bring some coke.

Not for me. I like the convenience of having loads of stuff to do within a short journey.

Ribble
4 hours ago, gordiegords said:

Some great replies, for the record I would be selling my flat and buying a lovely wee cottage away from here, in terms of commute at the moment I work a couple of days in Edinburgh, a couple in kirkaldy and one in Perth, I’d gain time on going to Perth as where I might be going in only 20 mins from Perth, but it would take me an hour to get to Edinburgh where as now I have the luxury of only being 20 mins from my work.

pros and cons in everything for sure, the option of moving just a bit further out would defeat the purpose as one of the reasons I’m going is to be closer to my dad and other people I know. My dads in his 80s now and he gets the train to the games but if I was up there I would drive us to the games.

i love Edinburgh but something in me is beginning to like the peace and quiet, maybe that’s just cause one of my neighbours is doing my head in with the noise but the general hustle and bustle is starting to wear thin. 

a little more context 🙂

if you are looking at somewhere close to kirckcaldy then just so you know the levenmouth extension to the trainline is about to open meaning something like 7 extra trains a day are going through kirkcaldy to edinburgh so might be an option for the days you have to work in edinburgh

We left edinburgh (leith) about 2 and a half years ago and moved to the Duloch area of Dunfermline and don't regret it for a second, we're a 20min walk from both the train station and the park and ride bus station (bizarlly I can get a bus to glasgow from round the corner but have to go to the park and ride to get to edinburgh) as well as a 3 min drive to be on the M90/A92. 

Positives are that we have a 3 bed semi detached house with double driveway, front garden and large back garden for not all that much more than we got for a 1 bed tenement flat in leith, we have good neighbours that we speak to regularly, plenty shops are within a 10 min drive (supermarkets, B&Q/Homebase/Argos/halfords/pets at home etc) as is dunfermline city centre. There are loads of parks and woodlands roundabout to walk around or for the wee man to play in as well as 2 leisure centre's and a pool all within a 10min drive.

Negatives, closest pubs are a 15 min walk away and are really food places with a bar rather than actual pubs so for actual pubs I'd need to jump on a bus into the centre. Train running times could be better, last train is 23.20 at night and first train on a sunday not until after 9.30/10am, buses seem to have recently become a bit less frequent at night and last bus from edinburgh leaves at 23.55.

gordiegords

Some great replies cheers! If I’m gojng I’m going to the place I have in mind tbh, I would still work here twice a week so I’m never far away so I’m hoping for the best of both worlds!

highlandjambo3

I left Edinburgh in 1980 to become a sojer…..only ever went back when on leave, my last gig in the Army 2005 was fort George which is about 12 miles outside inverness, spent 2 years living in the army estate in inverness and, that was a lightbulb moment for me.  I’d never been up in the highlands before and would never have thought I’d settle here but I came to realise this is where I wanted to settle, I wouldn’t live anywhere else in the UK.

If it wasn’t for family and fitbaw I’d never go back.

gordiegords
2 hours ago, Stuart Lyon said:

But won't you miss the trams and fixed cycleways?

I’m a cyclist and still won’t kiss the cycleways 😆

Taffin
3 minutes ago, Jim_Duncan said:

Yep. I work in various shitholes around England and Edinburgh is pristine compared to them. Standards are definitely slipping in general, however. We need a ban on a)vapes, b)fast food and c)people wearing hoods when it’s not raining. Would instantly improve things.  

And dogs. Clarty scaffs hanging bags of shit on trees. Anyway, we digress.

I know what you mean about the number of jakies (fun and games at Haymarket this morning) but - again - it’s the same or worse in other cities.

gordiegords

I understand it’s not just Edinburgh that’s going downhill but where I light be going to is a cracking area.

anyway thanks for everyone’s input!

Lovecraft

Moved out of Edinburgh after about 4 years ago after spending 14 years or so in the city.  Moved into a little cottage in the middle of nowhere.   Would never go back now.  Hate even having to go in for work stuff every week or so.

Can play The Chemical Brothers as loud as I want when I'm tanked up on stimulants.  Only £30 to get back in an Uber when I need a blow out in town.  No booze before or after the Hearts games now though.  😞  Miss the times in The Diggers.

crazy-thats-right.gif

😉

Craig_

We moved out to South Queensferry about twelve years ago, don't regret it for a minute. Pretty wee town with stunning views, a great high street and a few decent boozers and restaurants. For a similar standard of living in town, we'd probably be looking at the sharp end of £700k+...

Good buses and trains into town during the day too, although getting home from a night out can be a pain as the night buses are a lottery (plus have to share with the good people of Fife!), but an Uber's about £30 so no real hardship.

JudyJudyJudy

Edinburgh is a fantastic city . Surprised with all the negativity about it . 

Ray Gin

I have a couple of friends who bought a house a few years back out past Ratho way and they hated it and barely saw anyone. They lasted about a year before selling up and buying in Edinburgh.

Darren
50 minutes ago, Craig_ said:

We moved out to South Queensferry about twelve years ago, don't regret it for a minute. Pretty wee town with stunning views, a great high street and a few decent boozers and restaurants. For a similar standard of living in town, we'd probably be looking at the sharp end of £700k+...

Good buses and trains into town during the day too, although getting home from a night out can be a pain as the night buses are a lottery (plus have to share with the good people of Fife!), but an Uber's about £30 so no real hardship.

My family moved to South Queensferry just as I finished school. Bit of a trek to/from Dalmeny station and buses weren't great back then, but I think they're a wee bit better now. We'll soon be selling the house, if anyone's interested! 😄 

As you say, it's a nice town and probably the best/most affordable option if you want to stay within Edinburgh's boundaries. Portobello maybe the other comparable option, though I don't know too much about property prices there.

For my part, I moved out of Edinburgh years ago for work. Eventually got to Glasgow, met my wife and ended up in the suburbs. Like joondalupjambo, we did a lot of planning around it and settled on a house in a nice area that's far enough outside Glasgow to not feel like you're in it. But all the good stuff Glasgow offers (and there is a lot) is within easy commuting distance. I'd agree that doing your research is key.

I wouldn't move back to Edinburgh through choice now. While it's still great in many respects, it feels like a city on a downward trajectory and is simply too expensive to enjoy properly unless on a hefty salary.

vegas-voss
2 hours ago, Lovecraft said:

Moved out of Edinburgh after about 4 years ago after spending 14 years or so in the city.  Moved into a little cottage in the middle of nowhere.   Would never go back now.  Hate even having to go in for work stuff every week or so.

Can play The Chemical Brothers as loud as I want when I'm tanked up on stimulants.  Only £30 to get back in an Uber when I need a blow out in town.  No booze before or after the Hearts games now though.  😞  Miss the times in The Diggers.

crazy-thats-right.gif

😉

🤣

Greenbank2

after 40 years in Edinburgh, retired and moved to the borders 3 years ago. Love it. Main reason was that Edinburgh is no longer for a city residents but completely geared around fesivals and visitors. it's become a tourist and student Disneyland.  Fine, but not for me. I do return regularlty using the train from Tweedbank but at £14 for a return ticket not cheap. With restricted parking now covering an extended area, gridlocked traffic around the periphery and expensive everything, I find fewer reasons to return even for a visit.

il Duce McTarkin
25 minutes ago, Greenbank2 said:

after 40 years in Edinburgh, retired and moved to the borders 3 years ago. Love it. Main reason was that Edinburgh is no longer for a city residents but completely geared around fesivals and visitors. it's become a tourist and student Disneyland.  Fine, but not for me. I do return regularlty using the train from Tweedbank but at £14 for a return ticket not cheap. With restricted parking now covering an extended area, gridlocked traffic around the periphery and expensive everything, I find fewer reasons to return even for a visit.

Did you stay up by Greenbank when you were in Edinburgh? It's a lovely area.

PortyJambo
53 minutes ago, Darren said:

Portobello maybe the other comparable option, though I don't know too much about property prices there.

Portobello is silly money for a decent house now. We lived there for 20 years in a 2 bed tenement flat, but wanted to get a house, and just couldn't afford what we wanted in Portobello. A 3 bedroom semi-detached opposite our flat, with no dedicated parking and a nightmare of a street to park on, went for £750k just over a year ago, almost £200k over the o/o price, ffs! 

We moved to Peebles last year after selling our flat, after spending a long time looking for the right place to move to. We liked the Borders and went for Peebles as it's a lovely town, plenty of shops so no need to go miles for your weekly shop, good choice of pubs/restaurants, plenty of walks in the hills/woods for the dog we now have, etc, etc. I detest driving into Edinburgh now, still things about the city I love but very glad we moved away.

Hansel
17 hours ago, il Duce McTarkin said:

Move to Oxgangs. 

The only place in Edinburgh worth moving to. 👌 

joondalupjambo

The problem with folk moving out of Edinburgh to the country villages, and I include myself here is that it causes real problems for the locals within those locations.  We are all alright Jack but for every house we take over locals, and their families have less choice.  Not to mention we are driving up the costs in these locations because in many cases we chuck money at the purchase to make sure we get the house we want.  Quite a vicious cycle.  

Darren
6 minutes ago, joondalupjambo said:

The problem with folk moving out of Edinburgh to the country villages, and I include myself here is that it causes real problems for the locals within those locations.  We are all alright Jack but for every house we take over locals, and their families have less choice.  Not to mention we are driving up the costs in these locations because in many cases we chuck money at the purchase to make sure we get the house we want.  Quite a vicious cycle.  

Can work the other way too. We've ended up back where my wife is from after selling up in the city.

highlandjambo3
1 hour ago, PortyJambo said:

A 3 bedroom semi-detached opposite our flat, with no dedicated parking and a nightmare of a street to park on, went for £750k just over a year ago, almost £200k over the o/o price, ffs! 

Mad ain’t it, my house is a 4 bed semi detached with 3 shower rooms with toilets, huge back garden, garage and off road parking for 4 cars……value:  a mere £350-375k……..drop that house anywhere in Edinburgh and you’d likely double ish that.

IMG_0901.jpeg

IMG_0514.jpeg

That thing you do

Well, erm, ive definitely moved away and for many of the reasons everyone else did ie cost of living, chance at a better life etc albeit in a slightly more extreme way, but then my wife is Mexican so isnt completely ludicrous im over here.

Ive no regrets at all. Its been the best decision fonancially and for quality of life I couldve made. It is a long way away and I felt that during the pandemic. But, its quicker than a train to penzance to get back over.

joondalupjambo
4 minutes ago, Darren said:

Can work the other way too. We've ended up back where my wife is from after selling up in the city.

Of course, yes that can happen but if there were surveys done suspect that would be a minority trend.  Post COVID the volume of folk moving from the bigger cities to the countryside I would suspect have never seen a cow pat🤣

Darren
5 minutes ago, joondalupjambo said:

Of course, yes that can happen but if there were surveys done suspect that would be a minority trend.  Post COVID the volume of folk moving from the bigger cities to the countryside I would suspect have never seen a cow pat🤣

Yeah, you're right. And it is unfortunate. If you pardon the pun, I think the horse has bolted there.

It seems to me that the overall theme of this thread is that for a lot of us we'll end up where our other halves decide. So why bother worrying about it? 😅

il Duce McTarkin
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Greenbank2 said:

I did - and yes it is

I'm from the slums around the corner and had always fancied Greenbank as I love the surrounding areas. I could have reasonably aspired to it at one point but it's a bit too pricey now. 

I do reasonably well, but at pushing 50 I'm not prepared to expose myself to the debt of going north of 600K on a do-er-up-er.  I see young couples chucking huge deposits down and going well over the asking price and wonder where they get the money from. 

Edited by il Duce McTarkin