Help - looking for match programme

keith1964

keith1964

Hi 

Looking for a copy of the 1977  Match programme  Scotland U18 v England U18  played at Tynecastle on March 25th

keith1964

Or would appreciate any help on how to source this

Thanks

Jack Torrance
54 minutes ago, keith1964 said:

Thanks

Could try the resident programme seller at Tynecastle hospitality, who also has a seat in the Main Stand. Not sure how best to contact him. Maybe through the hospitality team?

• davemclaren changed the title to Help - looking for match programme
been here before
1 hour ago, keith1964 said:

Thanks

Probably as rare as hens teeth. Try Brian at Almondvale Programmes as a starting point.

John Findlay

Perhaps a certain poster may see this and may be able to assist you.

dannymack
Posted (edited)

Whilst looking on eBay I came across this issue for the Under23s v Denmark. 

Never knew Allan Hansen played for Denmark 😊

Look at those Scotland names though 😳 👌🏻

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/296395201501?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=gX49yGoVR2G&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=Mn6R_oDESaC&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Screenshot_20240501_191704_eBay.jpg

Edited by dannymack

John Findlay
1 minute ago, dannymack said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/296395201501?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=gX49yGoVR2G&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=Mn6R_oDESaC&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Was at that game, Bobby Prentice scored a great individual goal in a 4-1 win for Scotland. If memory serves me correctly the crowd was 16,000 that night.

Ricardo Quaresma

I had a good look earlier and nothing, nothing at all

Is there any reference to the match on Wikipedia or SFA website anywhere?

dannymack
6 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Was at that game, Bobby Prentice scored a great individual goal in a 4-1 win for Scotland. If memory serves me correctly the crowd was 16,000 that night.

Perhaps his best goal was scored for Scotland Under-23s against Denmark, at Tynecastle, in a European Championship game. Prentice had just come on for David Narey when he had to take a corner. However, as he himself told the story – his shorts were too tight, and he feared if he took a full swing at the ball, he would split them.

So, he played a short corner to Frankie Gray, got the ball back and proceeded to beat three Danish defenders along the goal line, before lobbing the goalkeeper from a ridiculously tight angle.

dannymack
Posted (edited)

Prentice’s best-ever goal is generally reckoned to have been at Tynecastle in October 1975, not for Hearts but Scotland’s Under-23s. Reporting in The Scotsman on the 4-1 win over Denmark which featured a hat-trick for Andy Gray, Mike Aitken described it as “astonishing”. “Surviving a fierce tackle at the corner flag,” the bulletin continued, “Prentice crawled over the full-back proceeded to beat two more defenders, and when everyone expected the cutback, he flicked the ball over the goalkeeper and into the net. The stadium went wild.”

Wish I’d seen it, I say. “I’ll tell you a wee secret about that ‘wonder goal’,” he chuckles. “I was a sub and had only just come on. The shorts they gave you for Scotland were way too tight – well, they were on me, anyway. We won a corner and as I was lining up to take the kick I suddenly thought: ‘Christ, I’m going to rip them. If I swing my leg my arse is going to fall right out.’ So I played the ball short to Frank Gray and he gave me it back. That dribble was really about avoiding gross indecency!”

Edited by dannymack

KingRousset

Had a look in the Scotland Programme Guide by Andy Mitchell and there is no mention of it. Although, there is no list for Scotland Under 18 matches. Could be that there was no issue done for the game.

Chuck Berry
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, keith1964 said:

Hi 

Looking for a copy of the 1977  Match programme  Scotland U18 v England U18  played at Tynecastle on March 25th

No record of that match. Was it maybe a Schools FA match?

EDIT: yes it was a schools match and yes there was a programme.

Edited by Chuck Berry

willie wallace
1 hour ago, dannymack said:

That is a cracking Scotland squad  right enough.

Frank Arnesen was some  player at Ajax.

oxfordman
13 hours ago, dannymack said:

Cool! Roddy McDonald in there too. There's a blast from the past!

RobbofordGHC
On 01/05/2024 at 14:23, keith1964 said:

Hi 

If it’s the schools international then this is the squad for the game at Wembley the previous week, if it’s of any interest.
678CE1EC-F363-4056-8307-DCE1925502EE.jpeg.e9f42a6b2d42dfc6c548b5b7100be094.jpeg

23 hours ago, dannymack said:

Prentice’s best-ever goal is generally reckoned to have been at Tynecastle in October 1975, not for Hearts but Scotland’s Under-23s. Reporting in The Scotsman on the 4-1 win over Denmark which featured a hat-trick for Andy Gray, Mike Aitken described it as “astonishing”. “Surviving a fierce tackle at the corner flag,” the bulletin continued, “Prentice crawled over the full-back proceeded to beat two more defenders, and when everyone expected the cutback, he flicked the ball over the goalkeeper and into the net. The stadium went wild.”

Wish I’d seen it, I say. “I’ll tell you a wee secret about that ‘wonder goal’,” he chuckles. “I was a sub and had only just come on. The shorts they gave you for Scotland were way too tight – well, they were on me, anyway. We won a corner and as I was lining up to take the kick I suddenly thought: ‘Christ, I’m going to rip them. If I swing my leg my arse is going to fall right out.’ So I played the ball short to Frank Gray and he gave me it back. That dribble was really about avoiding gross indecency!”

😅

Great read

A Shoreditch Heart
23 hours ago, John Findlay said:

I was standing right behind the goal that night and Bobby Prentice just danced his way through the Danish defence and then chipped the keeper. One of favourite goals ever - magical.

rosehill
On 01/05/2024 at 14:23, keith1964 said:

Hi 

I have this programme in my collection. It's not in great condition but you're welcome to have it if you've not already found one.

Fort Vallance
On 01/05/2024 at 19:19, dannymack said:

Think that was round about the time Rangers fell out with the SFA. Pulling players out of this and the full squad because they didn't want them injured playing for a country they didn't care about.

dannymack
1 hour ago, Fort Vallance said:

Think that was round about the time Rangers fell out with the SFA. Pulling players out of this and the full squad because they didn't want them injured playing for a country they didn't care about.

I would suggest there was more to it than that, there was still a sense of fierce pride with playing for Scotland regardless who your club was.

Supporting Scotland was different back then, even before my time, Rangers had regular players playing for the Nation. 

The rise of the New Tartan Army laid the foundation of the segregation fence that divided the Scottish Support away from the pitch. 

Rangers fans that I know who went with Scotland back in the day no longer follow the team because of those fans. 

Going back to the early to mid 80s there was always 2 buses from my local pub that went to Wembley and Wales, mostly Hearts, Rangers and Hibs. 

Then the new lot turned up and changed the whole scene for supporting Scotland. 

Fort Vallance
1 hour ago, dannymack said:

I would suggest there was more to it than that, there was still a sense of fierce pride with playing for Scotland regardless who your club was.

Supporting Scotland was different back then, even before my time, Rangers had regular players playing for the Nation. 

The rise of the New Tartan Army laid the foundation of the segregation fence that divided the Scottish Support away from the pitch. 

Rangers fans that I know who went with Scotland back in the day no longer follow the team because of those fans. 

Going back to the early to mid 80s there was always 2 buses from my local pub that went to Wembley and Wales, mostly Hearts, Rangers and Hibs. 

Then the new lot turned up and changed the whole scene for supporting Scotland. 

Possibly correct. I don't think it was the players that didnt want to go. But I remember Rangers pulling Willie Henderson out because Johnstone was getting picked before him and didn't want him going just to sit on the bench. Similar to Jardine & McGrain a few years later. 

dannymack
1 hour ago, Fort Vallance said:

Possibly correct. I don't think it was the players that didnt want to go. But I remember Rangers pulling Willie Henderson out because Johnstone was getting picked before him and didn't want him going just to sit on the bench. Similar to Jardine & McGrain a few years later. 

Derek Johnstone for the 1978 World Cup could possibly have started the bitter taste in the mouth too

Hmfc1965
4 hours ago, Fort Vallance said:

I don't think it was. It was later than that.

keith1964
On 03/05/2024 at 11:56, rosehill said:

I have this programme in my collection. It's not in great condition but you're welcome to have it if you've not already found one.

Hi are you at the match on Saturday , as I would appreciate that , thank you

rosehill
17 hours ago, keith1964 said:

Hi are you at the match on Saturday , as I would appreciate that , thank you

I've messaged you.