Places you have never been but would love to go to

New Town Loafer

Seymour M Hersh
3 hours ago, been here before said:

Sharleen Spiteri, Penny Mordaunt...

Crap taste in birds but still :rofl:.

ArcticJambo
20 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

I dunno why they got stuck together as a pair in my head. Weird.

No, it makes sense, a short haul 45 mins or so flight over the Rio Plata. I mean if you've time, then its fine for a couple of nights, the beaches are decent and you can take a bus out to Colonia del Sacramento, oldest 'city' in Uruguay, it's pretty cool, and nearby is the only bullring in S America, although it's not used I don't think, wasn't when we were there.  I'd describe Montevideo as an gritty port city!  I'd go back but only to see a big match at the Centenario, a bucketlist stadium.

All roads lead to Gorgie

Japan, Nepal for the Himalayas and Chile because I always like the wine from there. All out of my price range right now though ☹️

3 hours ago, That thing you do said:

Antarctica isn't suffering over tourism, its just been blogged alot and so people think it is. Theres still only a few ships that do the voyage, with one out of punto arenas in Chile being made famous by Simon Wilson.

Quite fancy one of these trips Bark EUROPA - ANT2 - 2024/25 but holy shit! The price has gone well up since I last looked.

3 hours ago, That thing you do said:

Its still enormously expensive at around £8 to 10k a trip.

Aye - looks out of reach £-wise :(

Elljay

European cities - Vienna and Athens.

Wildlife - Okavango delta or Madagascar.

Tour - Argentina, Andes, Chile

Island - Easter Island or Iceland

cazzyy
6 hours ago, PortyJambo said:

We stayed in a wee hilltop village in Tuscany about 10 years ago for a week before spending a few days in Florence, and it was tremendous. Spent time in San Gimignano and Volterra while we were there, but the wee village was the best bit. Only one restaurant but they did a four course daily menu for €15...with unlimited local wine :wow:

Checked back a couple of years ago online though, and they'd stopped offering that.... 😢

We honeymooned in a wee village outside Florence called Cerbaia, loved it. Drove to lots of places like San Gimignano, Siena, Montepulciano, Lucca and my favourite Barga (little Scotland)

Auld Reekin'
Posted (edited)

The Republic of Georgia would probably be top of my list (I should probably get my finger out before it gets reincorporated into Imperial Russia... :ermm:). I've read a lot about it and watched any documentaries I could find and it sounds like an absolutely fascinating country. If I went there, I'd probably try to get to Armenia as well, for similar reasons. Closer to home, Slovenia and Montenegro also both appeal.

I'd also like to see much, much, more of Italy* (in particular, Sicily) than I've seen to date and continue to explore Spain and Portugal. Germany too: we were there in our motorhome last autumn and - whilst we saw a lot and I've been there on previous trips - there is an incredible amount to see and do there. (The beer's a bit special as well. :icon14: 🍻)

I've had a long-term fascination with India, but it's probably not now a goer as - due to a health condition - I've got to be really careful what I eat: it can be bad enough at home so I shudder to think what havoc the local bacteria could wreak. :(

(*p.s. Greece too. :icon14:)

Edited by Auld Reekin'

periodictabledancer

Nepal only because I went there for work and it was a disaster so didn't get much chance to see the country. Would love to go back to Pokara - put it on  your bucket list.

Otherwise, Japan, Argentina (the alps) , Costa Rica  and NZ.

doing it next year.

Ulysses
5 hours ago, ArcticJambo said:

No, it makes sense, a short haul 45 mins or so flight over the Rio Plata. I mean if you've time, then its fine for a couple of nights, the beaches are decent and you can take a bus out to Colonia del Sacramento, oldest 'city' in Uruguay, it's pretty cool, and nearby is the only bullring in S America, although it's not used I don't think, wasn't when we were there.  I'd describe Montevideo as an gritty port city!  I'd go back but only to see a big match at the Centenario, a bucketlist stadium.

I'll have to re-jig my fantasy plans, so.  :laugh: 

New Town Loafer
11 hours ago, Auld Reekin' said:

The Republic of Georgia would probably be top of my list (I should probably get my finger out before it gets reincorporated into Imperial Russia... :ermm:). I've read a lot about it and watched any documentaries I could find and it sounds like an absolutely fascinating country. If I went there, I'd probably try to get to Armenia as well, for similar reasons. Closer to home, Slovenia and Montenegro also both appeal.

Gorgeous place. I'd also recommend Bosnia to people who are looking at that region. Beautiful place with a tragic history, and it's much cheaper than Croatia and Montenegro. Great food, too!

manaliveits105

Georgia capital Tbilisi is a fascinating place as is Skopje in North Macedonia 

Barga is beautiful and the Scottish connection very interesting if you are lucky Paulo Nutini might be doing a wee gig  as it's where his family originates from .

New Town Loafer
37 minutes ago, Jim_Duncan said:

Burek in Mostar is top notch. Ended up stuck in a little apartment watching Two and a Half Men dubbed into the local lingo while working through my own bodyweight in the cheese ones many years ago.  

Touché! I was rattling through the cevapi in Sarajevo like nobody’s business.

Tell you what some impressive travellers on here.

Feel like a peasant you tossers.

😄

Auld Reekin'
1 hour ago, Jim_Duncan said:

I was in Georgia back in February. Tbilisi is a bit hit and miss. Nice touristy parts, super friendly locals (I ended up sharing a table in a live jazz bar with a Georgian guy who’d lived and worked in Dublin and NY). Next day I went for a wander through the less touristy areas. Dog mess everywhere. 

Great wine, of course. 

Spent even less time in Batumi before crossing over to Turkey, but it seemed nice and again, everyone really friendly and welcoming. I’d go back. 

"This could be Rotterdam, or anywhere, Liverpool or Rome..." Or Gorgie Road.

It's the same wherever you go these days, unfortunately, in my experience anyway. Unless it was really, REALLY, bad there...?

JFK-1

The moon, though after a quick check I currently don't see any package tour offers, gap in the market. I might have gone for Mars but I can't take the chance Elon Musk might turn up uninvited. 

il Duce McTarkin
21 hours ago, Jim_Duncan said:

Tahunanui Beach, NZ. I received a small calendar from a relative in NZ when I was a young teenager and had started dreaming of inter-railing, island hopping and travel in general. It was a tiny photo for one of the months and just looked amazing.

It seemed like a dream destination to a kid bored in the suburbs of Edinburgh and I'd still love to go there. Or perhaps get scattered there when the time comes.

No idea if it's actually nice or not.

It's nice enough. Get a good view from up Paddys Knob.

Abel Tasman National Park just up the road is absolutely stunning, though.

Well worth a visit.

Auld Reekin'
1 hour ago, Jim_Duncan said:

Spectacular quantities of it. Was like playing hopscotch on some streets as I tried dodging it.

And it was DOG shit, right? :ermm: 

Ulysses
3 hours ago, Ked said:

Tell you what some impressive travellers on here.

Feel like a peasant you tossers.

😄

You haven't lived until you're a Scotsman who's been topped by a Dubliner with a fake Georgian accent pretending he used to work in NYC. ;)

Auld Reekin'
3 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

You haven't lived until you're a Scotsman who's been topped by a Dubliner with a fake Georgian accent pretending he used to work in NYC. ;)

I know a German guy from Stuttgart who has such a convincing Limerick accent (when speaking English :thumbsup:) that he's had Irish folk refusing to believe that he was actually German.

He'd worked in a pub there for a year or two so that'd probably helped.

Auld Reekin'
5 minutes ago, Jim_Duncan said:

There were some very hairy women in those Tbilisi nightclubs…

They were WOMEN, right? :ermm:

Ulysses
1 hour ago, Auld Reekin' said:

I know a German guy from Stuttgart who has such a convincing Limerick accent (when speaking English :thumbsup:) that he's had Irish folk refusing to believe that he was actually German.

He'd worked in a pub there for a year or two so that'd probably helped.

I'm not actually surprised.  :biggrin:

I met a fella working in a bar in Malta a few years ago who was born and raised in Bulgaria, but who had the most convincing Cork accent - in both English and Irish - I've ever heard from anyone not from the county.  He'd worked in Cork for many years, and learned Irish in Kerry.  Best part of our conversation, though, was when I asked him a question about being Bulgarian.  He said "Stall de ball, boy.  I yoooosed to be Bulgarian, but sure not dis lasht couple of years", and produced an Irish passport card from his wallet.  :laugh: 

Kalamazoo Jambo
On 01/05/2024 at 14:36, Ulysses said:

I dunno why they got stuck together as a pair in my head. Weird.

Uruguay who should know better, too.

Ulysses
9 minutes ago, Kalamazoo Jambo said:

Uruguay who should know better, too.

tenor.gif?itemid=7770998&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=

robroy1874

Would love to go back to UlaanBataar. Was there as guest of their government in 1989/90. Wonderful people. Hope it hasn't changed for the worse

Sydney

I'd love to spend time exploring the old battlefields and cemeteries of the Western Front in France/Belgium from WW1.  I'd also like to visit Gallipoli.

Herbert.
On 01/05/2024 at 16:08, Morgan said:

Bangkok.

Best city in the world, I love Bangkok. The smells are pretty disgusting but it kind of adds to the charm. 

Herbert.
On 01/05/2024 at 23:30, Elljay said:

European cities - Vienna and Athens.

Wildlife - Okavango delta or Madagascar.

Tour - Argentina, Andes, Chile

Island - Easter Island or Iceland

It's a bit shit, save yourself a fortune and head up north.

On 01/05/2024 at 13:53, Jim_Duncan said:

HK itself is alright, but the most fun to be had there is by visiting the outlying islands by ferry. Peaceful, traditional, efficient and clean. They were my escape valve when I was working in HK for a month.

This. Absolutely loved it.

Some of the wee Islands are like going being back in time.

cheetah

Would like to go to Kaliningrad (Konigsberg for our Prussian viewers). Been fascinated by the place after reading about the 7 bridges problem in maths. 

Got close once on a boat from Gdynia in Poland but turned out we were on a mental Polish booze cruise that wouldn't let us off at the other end, still tried to get off but hustled back on board by gun toting Russian soldiers. 

manaliveits105
2 hours ago, Herbert. said:

Best city in the world, I love Bangkok. The smells are pretty disgusting but it kind of adds to the charm. 

Agree 

the heat is intense though would only go Nov Dec and Jan - Feb at a pinch 

Craig_
11 hours ago, Ulysses said:

I met a fella working in a bar in Malta a few years ago who was born and raised in Bulgaria, but who had the most convincing Cork accent - in both English and Irish - I've ever heard from anyone not from the county.  He'd worked in Cork for many years, and learned Irish in Kerry.  Best part of our conversation, though, was when I asked him a question about being Bulgarian.  He said "Stall de ball, boy.  I yoooosed to be Bulgarian, but sure not dis lasht couple of years", and produced an Irish passport card from his wallet.  :laugh: 

Got chatting to a local at a bar in Cork who asked me where I was from. When I replied "Edinburgh", he genuinely asked me, "Where's that then?!".

SE16 3LN

Skara Brae or any other Prehistoric settlements

Herbert.
2 hours ago, manaliveits105 said:

Agree 

the heat is intense though would only go Nov Dec and Jan - Feb at a pinch 

I find the heat a bit much even at the end of rainy season, but its a place everyone should see. The only bit I dont like is Ao Nang, I thought it was boring and didnt feel like Thailand. It was too clean.

Auld Reekin'
18 hours ago, Ulysses said:

All part of the Irish diaspora. :whistling: :thumbsup:

Auld Reekin'
6 hours ago, Craig_ said:

Got chatting to a local at a bar in Cork who asked me where I was from. When I replied "Edinburgh", he genuinely asked me, "Where's that then?!".

Mind you, the Irish are widely noted for taking the pish (or at least trying to)...  :whistling: 

New Town Loafer
10 hours ago, Herbert. said:

Lived there 7 years - certainly wouldn’t say it’s the best city in the world!

Craig_
12 hours ago, Auld Reekin' said:

Mind you, the Irish are widely noted for taking the pish (or at least trying to)...  :whistling: 

Don't think this lad would have been capable of taking the pish, bless him. 

the posh bit
On 02/05/2024 at 19:47, Jim_Duncan said:

Had my fair share of trips to Burntisland etc, too.

Burntisland is good enough but you I recommend you leaving the bright lights and exotic smells and heading further west to the secluded, charming seaside village of Kinghorn or back in an easterly direction until you reach the historic, tranquil Aberdour. 👍

The Real Maroonblood
28 minutes ago, the posh bit said:

Burntisland is good enough but you I recommend you leaving the bright lights and exotic smells and heading further west to the secluded, charming seaside village of Kinghorn or back in an easterly direction until you reach the historic, tranquil Aberdour. 👍

Good memories to these place as a child and as a parent.

Add St Andrews to that list.