Sandy Jardine

Ked

Scott Monument

If you were to name aHearts greatest ever team Sandy Jardine  name would be one off the first names in it he was a Hearts legend.

Gundermann
19 hours ago, Ked said:

Nice from the club to officially remember the man.

For context he and Macdinald were as responsible for turning this club around as much as the FOH and Ann Budge.

Absolutely loved following Hearts during those years.

Sandy Jardine rolled along the pitch.

Good guys both.

I believe Jardine wanted to sign for us when younger. Apparently we knocked him back... :facepalm:

The Goalscoring Knee

A cooler, calmer head wearing a Hearts jersey is hard to think of.

Tannadice 86 before Robbo's bullet I seem to remember we were under the cosh a bit in the early part of the game. Sandy called the whole defence and midfield together for a chat during a break in play and got us settled down again - paid off big time that day.

gordon simpson
17 hours ago, Ked said:

🤣

Mate I worked there for two weeks broke my leg playing football thank goodness.

Better to be lucky than good. 

And as a club we got lucky.

We were toiling till he and Macdonald showed up.

Jardine was a Hearts man I'm sure.

Doddy is a bluenose wee git.

Both I hold in high regards.

No that means fek aw 😄

Jardine was a rangers supporter  so he told me when he worked at S and N brewery at the gyle 

Gillsland jack

Sandy Jardine no doubt would have been a Rangers supporter after spending so long there, however he grew up as a Jambo and we won the blinking lottery when he signed for us, that period between 83 to 90 was just amazing, maybe because I was so young but the mixture of seasoned pro's and home grown youngsters was just a great journey to be on.

Sandy Jardine helped develop all the young players, not just Craig Levein , teaching them the game and how to become good professionals.

Thank you Hearts for remembering Sandy Jardine, because without him,  Alex McDonald and Wallace Mercer, the last 30 years may have looked completely different and not in a good way.

1 hour ago, gordon simpson said:

Jardine was a rangers supporter  so he told me when he worked at S and N brewery at the gyle 

When was this? There's a few quotes say different. Him and John Greig were both Hearts fans. 

Robbo-Jambo
18 hours ago, martoon said:

Class defender who's signing in 1982 was a huge part of the rehabilitation of Heart of Midlothian.

Younger, and future, generations of Hearts supporters will, hopefully, never experience those pre-1982/83 days.  

The trio of Wallace, Doddie and Sandy were the catalyst for the Hearts we have now and, possibly, probably, almost certainly are the reason our club didn't disappear back then.

The apathy and hopelessness seemed irreversible around 1980-82.

Well said.

martoon
2 hours ago, Gundermann said:

Good guys both.

I believe Jardine wanted to sign for us when younger. Apparently we knocked him back... :facepalm:

The story goes that John Greig cried the day he signed for Rangers. His dream was to sign for Hearts.

He's 100% Rangers now, mind. 

martoon
21 minutes ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

Well said.

👍

John Findlay
6 minutes ago, martoon said:

The story goes that John Greig cried the day he signed for Rangers. His dream was to sign for Hearts.

Yeah, he was disappointed that Tommy Walker didn't sign him.

martoon
1 minute ago, John Findlay said:

Yeah, he was disappointed that Tommy Walker didn't sign him.

He made a remark about having absolutely no feelings for Hearts a few years back.

A bit unnecessary and snide, I thought.

Gundermann
24 minutes ago, martoon said:

Christ...what were we thinking?

John Findlay
12 minutes ago, martoon said:

He made a remark about having absolutely no feelings for Hearts a few years back.

A bit unnecessary and snide, I thought.

I never heard it.

jbee647
1 hour ago, Sir PH said:

When was this? There's a few quotes say different. Him and John Greig were both Hearts fans. 

Graeme Souness too

gorgie al 1960
2 hours ago, Sir PH said:

correct - john brought up in Whitson and could sing the hearts song without skipping a beat - my old man had sandy's twin brother as his apprentice - both jambos

PortyBeach
3 hours ago, gordon simpson said:

Jardine seems to have had leanings towards Hearts as a younger man but as you say, seems to have moved to the Dark Side later on. 
Stockholm Syndrome, perhaps?🤔 😊.

Would be in my top Hearts XI - classy player.

2 minutes ago, gorgie al 1960 said:

correct - john brought up in Whitson and could sing the hearts song without skipping a beat - my old man had sandy's twin brother as his apprentice - both jambos

Yip. And Sandy/Alexander wasn't his real name, it was William. Sandy was a nickname because of his hair colour when he was a kid. His close family knew him as William. 

Mikey1874
4 hours ago, Scott Monument said:

If you were to name aHearts greatest ever team Sandy Jardine  name would be one off the first names in it he was a Hearts legend.

Best player I've seen live. 

heartgarfunkel

Amazing player for HMFC, a boyhood and family Edinburgh Hearts supporter,  like Greig, shame he bought onto the Rangers 'way' so readily.  No issues with playing proudly for another club, but no need for all the shite that goes with the OF.

He was the master of the pass back. 

At a time when Scottish football was all blood and thunder, he used the pass back to control the tempo of the game.  He had the ability to beat a couple of players from sweeper and play it back to Henry to take up a few more minutes if we needed time, or if he didn't have a decent out ball.

I think I remember him scoring against Hamilton in a 7-0 win at home - he certainly didn't score many for us.

Great player and a real leader and mentor on the field.

I don't think we should have made him joint-manager - and I never really understood why we did.  

5 hours ago, Sydney said:

He was the master of the pass back. 

At a time when Scottish football was all blood and thunder, he used the pass back to control the tempo of the game.  He had the ability to beat a couple of players from sweeper and play it back to Henry to take up a few more minutes if we needed time, or if he didn't have a decent out ball.

I think I remember him scoring against Hamilton in a 7-0 win at home - he certainly didn't score many for us.

Great player and a real leader and mentor on the field.

I don't think we should have made him joint-manager - and I never really understood why we did.  

My recollection is that Aberdeen were sniffing about Jardine to become their manager and this move was to fend them off.

My Sandy Jardine story is that I worked beside a good pal of his. Both supported Hearts and we chatted about the weekend game. One day he said to me that he would now be going to Rangers games with his pal Sandy as Sandy was to be working at Ibrox on match days as a corporate host. This pal presented me with his Hearts tie “as he wouldn’t be needing it anymore.” I still have it. Shortly afterwards I changed jobs and we never spoke again.

busbyfth
22 hours ago, Sir PH said:

Nobody who remembers it will get over it. Not until we beat Celtic in a final, or something similar (can't think what, realistically) 

i suppose winning the league (says me knowing no chance)

Glamorgan Jambo

I was always surprised he essentially ended his career in coaching and management after he left us. he seemed intelligent and well able to organise and articulate his thoughts and vision. Anyway was a key signing for the club back in the day and he played way more seasons than anyone could ever have expected.

gordon simpson
21 hours ago, PortyBeach said:

Jardine seems to have had leanings towards Hearts as a younger man but as you say, seems to have moved to the Dark Side later on. 
Stockholm Syndrome, perhaps?🤔 😊.

Would be in my top Hearts XI - classy player.

agree he was one of the best