Greatest Film Director of all time?

chester copperpot

northfieldhearts

Can't believe no one has mentioned Alejandro Jowdorowsky. Fando y Lis, El Topo & Holy Mountain are all must-see films. Would also throw in Ki-Duk Kim or Miike Takashi as well for Oldboy & Ichi The Killer

No Bergman?

Also, need to give shout outs to Carl Dreyer, Luis Bunuel, Sergio Leonne, Akira Kurosawa, Krzyzstof (sp?) Kieslowski and Mario Bava.

Of living directors, David Lynch and Scorsese (although, personally, I think that he peaked with "Mean Streets"..."What's a mook?" "You're a mook!")

The Mighty Thor

Frank Capra.

Some of his films are still considered amongst the best ever made.

It's a wonderful life and Mr Deeds are two cases in point.

Was having a discussion about it with a pal last night, and got me thinking, didn't ever recall seeing it debated on KB.

I'd have to go for Martin Scorsese due to his film Goodfella's. Absolutely treeeeeemendous film, he's also made a few crackers apart from that.

Special mentions for Coppola, and Spielberg.

Over to you's, who do you think's best, and which film he/she was at their best.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the late Sidney Lumet, an under rated if at times inconsistent director, whose body of work includes many fine films, as well as the occasional stinker.

The good ones would include, 'Dog day Afternoon', 'Serpico', 'The Hill', 'Prince of the City', 'Network', 'The Pawnbroker', 'The Verdict', 'Q & A' and one of my favourite films of all time, the wonderful 'Twelve Angry Men'.

Kalamazoo Jambo

If I had to choose one, I'd go for Alfred Hitchcock.

Most underrated, and a personal favourite of mine, would be Michael Powell (in conjunction with Emeric Pressburger).

Geoff Kilpatrick
Not even a question for me; Stanley Kubrick.

Aye right! Eyes Wide Shut ruined that one!

I would still say Coppola.

Haha, I was trying to remember what the fat tw4t said.....

Why didn't he make a Deathwish 6?!!

Calm down dear. :rolleyes:

John Findlay

Overall I think I would vote for Alfred Hitchcock.

John

Archived