The West Wing

Jim_Duncan

Jim_Duncan

Almost by accident I watched a couple of episodes of the West Wing recently. Twenty or so years on from it being new, it feels like a different world.

Genuine news 'cycles', no social media and Sorkin's script treats both the actors and audience with respect but demands it, too.

Anyone else enjoy it?

Ulysses
1 hour ago, Jim_Duncan said:

Almost by accident I watched a couple of episodes of the West Wing recently. Twenty or so years on from it being new, it feels like a different world.

Genuine news 'cycles', no social media and Sorkin's script treats both the actors and audience with respect but demands it, too.

Anyone else enjoy it?

It was brilliant, though it probably leaned a little too liberal for some tastes.  As well as being of a time when there were "news cycles", it is also rooted in what I call the "pre-Gingrich" world where from time to time liberals and conservatives could actually reach agreement on overarching issues of national concern.

It was also responsible for my favourite ever bit of Christmas watching, an episode from the first series called In Excelsis Deo.  25 years later I still try to find a slot on Christmas Eve or the day before to watch it by myself.

Kalamazoo Jambo

Mrs Kalamazoo’s all time favourite show. One of my favourites too, but definitely of a different time as Ulysses has mentioned.

We binge watch it every few years, probably coming up to that time again soon :ninja:

Japan Jambo

Fantastic show, it was interesting the way they wove through the ethical challenges of being in government. In many ways it gave hope, sadly grossly misplaced it transpires.

Carl Fredrickson

My favourite show and shows a time before politics was all about grandstanding and personal gain. 

Jim_Duncan
6 hours ago, Kalamazoo Jambo said:

Mrs Kalamazoo’s all time favourite show. One of my favourites too, but definitely of a different time as Ulysses has mentioned.

We binge watch it every few years, probably coming up to that time again soon :ninja:

I last watched it on a collection of VHS tapes in 2005. It reminds me of Burley's Hearts team! 

Jim_Duncan
27 minutes ago, Japan Jambo said:

Fantastic show, it was interesting the way they wove through the ethical challenges of being in government. In many ways it gave hope, sadly grossly misplaced it transpires.

I read an interesting article that said a lot of Obama staffers 'came of age' watching the show, and tried to translate the show's style to their White House time.

Japan Jambo
24 minutes ago, Jim_Duncan said:

I read an interesting article that said a lot of Obama staffers 'came of age' watching the show, and tried to translate the show's style to their White House time.

Sorkin did a follow up called The Newsroom, didn't get into it so easily but you may want to check it out.

Jim_Duncan
22 minutes ago, Japan Jambo said:

Sorkin did a follow up called The Newsroom, didn't get into it so easily but you may want to check it out.

I watched it and enjoyed it. Again, a bit preachy and idealistic, but well-written and good fun. Plus... Olivia Munn :loved:

JudyJudyJudy

Never seen it but decided to re watch 

“ 6 foot under “ wish I hadn’t as it’s not as good as I remembered it . 

New Town Loafer

Watching it was a feature of my boarding school days. I remember it fondly.

John Findlay

From 2012, I enjoyed Secret state with Gabriel Byrne, and Charles Dance.

Boozyuzi

West Wing

Homocide: Life On The Street

The Shield

Probably the best TV shows I've watched.  With Breaking Bad & Succession just behind.

Percival King

Thought it was great, have started rewatching it from episode 1 a few times but just seems too big a commitment.

Never seen anyone put their suit jacket on like Martin Sheen did.

Ulysses
8 hours ago, Percival King said:

Thought it was great, have started rewatching it from episode 1 a few times but just seems too big a commitment.

Never seen anyone put their suit jacket on like Martin Sheen did.

Here you go: