Refereeing

Jim_Duncan

Jim_Duncan

My son (12) is starting to show an interest in becoming a ref as he realises he won’t make it as a player. Are there any good YouTube videos or apps with ‘You’re the ref’-style clips for folk to watch and test their skills?

hughesie27

Get him a season ticket for any SPFL team. Tell him to pay close attention tonight to what the referee is doing g and when he gets a go do exactly the opposite. He'll go far.

Jim_Duncan
4 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Get him a season ticket for any SPFL team. Tell him to pay close attention tonight to what the referee is doing g and when he gets a go do exactly the opposite. He'll go far.

😀

Just run about the pitch and hold your finger to your ear any time something difficult happens, eh. 

I P Knightley
30 minutes ago, Jim_Duncan said:

My son (12) is starting to show an interest in becoming a ref as he realises he won’t make it as a player. Are there any good YouTube videos or apps with ‘You’re the ref’-style clips for folk to watch and test their skills?

I don't have an answer to your question but good on him for wanting to be involved in the game. 

A useful phrase from the Knightley school of refereeing that may come in handy further down his career. 

"I don't believe that I did make a mistake and called it as I saw it but if I did, it was just that - a mistake 'cos, guess what? I'm human. Now, would you like me to point out all the mistakes that you and your team mates have been making or will we just get on with the game as best we can?" 

Seymour M Hersh
2 hours ago, Jim_Duncan said:

Keep encouraging him to play as if he does go down the refereeing route then the more he has played the game the better his decision making should be. If you look at the pencil pushing gimps we have currently it's unlikely any of them played past the age of five. The might know the laws (though that is also doubtful sometimes) they certainly don't know the game.

2 hours ago, Jim_Duncan said:

A postcode beginning with G would be helpful if he wants to progress in Scotland.

Jim_Duncan
13 minutes ago, Boof said:

A postcode beginning with G would be helpful if he wants to progress in Scotland.

I want him to move abroad to referee and out of the Scottish cesspool. 

Jim_Duncan
28 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Keep encouraging him to play as if he does go down the refereeing route then the more he has played the game the better his decision making should be. If you look at the pencil pushing gimps we have currently it's unlikely any of them played past the age of five. The might know the laws (though that is also doubtful sometimes) they certainly don't know the game.

Yeah. It’s a few years until he can start reffing properly and he enjoys playing. 

9 minutes ago, Jim_Duncan said:

Yeah. It’s a few years until he can start reffing properly and he enjoys playing. 

16 in Scotland. SFA do online courses...as I'm sure you'll be aware.

Greedy Jambo

I'm wondering why at the age of 12 he doesn't think he can make it as a football player. 

Have you seen the state of some of the players we've signed?

Still plenty of time for him to get better. 

Jim_Duncan
2 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

I'm wondering why at the age of 12 he doesn't think he can make it as a football player. 

Have you seen the state of some of the players we've signed?

Still plenty of time for him to get better. 

He's inherited my pace and shooting accuracy (crap) but not my passing (excellent) and his mother's height (she tops out at 4'11").

Greedy Jambo
1 minute ago, Jim_Duncan said:

He's inherited my pace and shooting accuracy (crap) but not my passing (excellent) and his mother's height (she tops out at 4'11").

He's still only 12 though, practice makes perfect, and he's still growing. 

Messi ain't that tall. 

jimbojambo

I know the East of Scotland referees train at the Oriam every week. Depends on how far your son wants to go in the game as lots of hurdles unless you are called Dallas of course. Lots just go for a few weeks in order to pass the initial exam and referee amateur games at £80 a time with no Cooper test (fitness) to pass. Others who want to referee at a higher level carry on attending and being continually assessed to go onto a higher level which takes time usually and they find this to be frustrating and kind of give up or stay at a level. Many are now choosing to referee woman's football as not much hassle or abuse to put up with. I'm sure the SFA will be able to recommend videos etc on how to get started but I hope he is not sensitive if he takes it up. 

John Findlay
14 hours ago, Jim_Duncan said:

First thing he needs to develop is a very thick skin.

Seymour M Hersh
22 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Second thing is a weejie accent! :duck:

John Findlay
1 hour ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Second thing is a weejie accent! :duck:

That will help a lot too.

RustyRightPeg
12 hours ago, Jim_Duncan said:

He's 12. Encourage him to keep playing. He might also hit a growth spurt, you never know. 

Jim_Duncan
2 hours ago, John Findlay said:

That's why I shout at him every day and berate his every mistake. I'm just being a good father. Got a bag of coppers that I occasionally dip into and lob at his head to give him the feeling of reffing an OF title decider, too.

Jim_Duncan
1 minute ago, RustyRightPeg said:

He's 12. Encourage him to keep playing. He might also hit a growth spurt, you never know. 

Of course mate. He loves being part of his team and scores the odd goal here and there.

John Findlay
1 minute ago, Jim_Duncan said:

That's why I shout at him every day and berate his every mistake. I'm just being a good father. Got a bag of coppers that I occasionally dip into and lob at his head to give him the feeling of reffing an OF title decider, too.

Good father😉

RustyRightPeg
Just now, Jim_Duncan said:

Of course mate. He loves being part of his team and scores the odd goal here and there.

That's the best part. On a wider scale, I'd say 90% of my pals are those I've met through football. He'll make pals for life, and he probably hasn't met half of them yet!