Canadian Rockies Trip

hmfc_liam06

hmfc_liam06

I’m looking at planning a trip to Calgary/Canadian Rockies and looking for help from the epic Kickback travel / expat community 😅

Has anyone ever done it, particularly without a car? I don’t drive and the Mrs refuses to drive abroad. 

Thinking of either organised trips from Calgary or if there are options of public transport between various towns - Canmore, Golden, Revelstoke etc

highlandjambo3
30 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

I’m looking at planning a trip to Calgary/Canadian Rockies and looking for help from the epic Kickback travel / expat community 😅

Has anyone ever done it, particularly without a car? I don’t drive and the Mrs refuses to drive abroad. 

Thinking of either organised trips from Calgary or if there are options of public transport between various towns - Canmore, Golden, Revelstoke etc

Your in luck (ish) as I did this last September for 18 days, I did have the advantage of hiring an RV so somewhat different from what you’ll be looking for, I can only give advice on the best places to stay.  Banff was our first port of call, up the icefields parkway up to Jasper, just google locations in between those two points, loads to do if your bold, white water rafting, horse riding, electric mountain bike hire, zip wire, boat trips etc…….avoid lake Louise it’s just bursting with tourists and very commercial.  We did do Canmore, Golden, Ravelstoke in British Columbia but, if your trip is 10 days or less stick with the Rockies (Alberta) as that will be the highlight of your trip.  We did park up the RV and take a return train trip up to McBride passing mount Robson but, that wasn’t so great just loads of forest either side of the train with occasional glimpse of the mountains.  We also hired a helicopter to fly over mount Robson but, it’s like £600 for 40 minutes.

Food/restaurants are great and, the Canadians like their grub.

Transport links are great in Canada, you can get anywhere quite easily.

fyi, you need to apply for an electronic visa, it’s not to expensive and can be done online fairly quickly.

Edited by highlandjambo3

The Real Maroonblood
40 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

We did it 6 years ago through Trailfinders.

Although quite expensive it was all organised with a great tour guide.

Highly recommend them.

Visited Banff,Jasper, Whistler, Vancouver Island and other places.

It was a fantastic experience and The Rocky Mountaineer was brilliant.

Some folk prefer to organise a trip themselves but I went for a organised tour but obviously more expensive.

Libertarian

Travelled a number of years ago from Vancouver to Edmonton via Banff and Calgary. Absolutely breathtaking unspoilt scenery, snow capped mountains and turquoise rivers. It was a wonderful trip. I'm sure you'll love it.

highlandjambo3
41 minutes ago, Libertarian said:

Travelled a number of years ago from Vancouver to Edmonton via Banff and Calgary. Absolutely breathtaking unspoilt scenery, snow capped mountains and turquoise rivers. It was a wonderful trip. I'm sure you'll love it.

Yes….like this 

IMG_0332.jpeg

IMG_1448.jpeg

JudyJudyJudy
6 minutes ago, jim747 said:

I’d love to do that train journey 

highlandjambo3
1 hour ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

I’d love to do that train journey 

No you wouldn’t.

I was on that train from Jasper to McBride……there is not enough seats in the upstairs viewing carriage and you can’t book a seat, it’s first come first served, if it’s full you need to stand in a queue and wait for someone to come down, it’s also a bit run down with the seats not very comfortable, also there is only one upstairs viewing carriage on the whole train.  Of course this could change dependant on demand, not ITK.

I took those pictures below, they were taken from the lower carriages of that train.  I can tell you that during our 3hr journey there were very few gaps in the Forrest’s to view the mountains and when the gaps did appear it was only for a few seconds………it was the only disappointment of our Canadian trip, 6hrs wasted.  Of course I cannot comment on the “whole Rockies train” experience also, this information will not be mentioned on any official brochure or website.

IMG_1347.jpeg

IMG_1346.jpeg

hmfc_liam06
5 hours ago, Libertarian said:

How did you travel, rail? Or drive?

hmfc_liam06
5 hours ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

We did it 6 years ago through Trailfinders.

Although quite expensive it was all organised with a great tour guide.

Highly recommend them.

Visited Banff,Jasper, Whistler, Vancouver Island and other places.

It was a fantastic experience and The Rocky Mountaineer was brilliant.

Some folk prefer to organise a trip themselves but I went for a organised tour but obviously more expensive.

Will have a look at Trailfinders, cheers.

Canscot
6 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Tell the missus it is easier driving here than in Scotland. Wide open spaces and wide roads. Traffic is a breeze compared to Scotland. In high tourist areas obviously it will be busier but nothing like I have experienced in the last few visits to Scotland. In all my years here I have never taken tours( why would I?). Always driven every where. In my opinion it is the best way to see the country mate. You can and will get to places tours will/would never take you. 
Bring a Sat Nav and get yourself a car. 

highlandjambo3
7 minutes ago, Canscot said:

Tell the missus it is easier driving here than in Scotland. Wide open spaces and wide roads. Traffic is a breeze compared to Scotland. 

Agree with this.  

These 3 pictures are main highways in Canada, the motorway (going under the wildlife bridge) is travelling North between Calgary and Banff, the other two pictures are a single carriageway in British Columbia heading South East back towards lake Louise & Banff.

IMG_1275.jpeg

IMG_0854.jpeg

IMG_0547.jpeg

Canscot
2 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Agree with this.  

These 3 pictures are main highways in Canada, the motorway (going under the wildlife bridge) is travelling North between Calgary and Banff, the other two pictures are a single carriageway in British Columbia heading South East back towards lake Louise & Banff.

IMG_1275.jpeg

IMG_0854.jpeg

IMG_0547.jpeg

And just look at all that traffic!!! 😂
That wildlife bridge looks the one of the few between Banff and Lake Louise. I drive that road regularly in the summer going to my place in Radium BC. 

Edited by Canscot

Some time ago we did the Rocky Mountaineer train from Calgary to Vancouver ( 2 day journey) 13hrs one day and 10 hrs the next. The journey was great to start with however, after 3/4 hrs we started to get bored, if you see one lake/ mountain on repeat you start to just think about getting off. After the first day we were taken to our overnight hotel, we were not looking forward to another 10hrs on a train the following day. Fortunately when we got to Vancouver we were going on a Alaskan cruise so that helped, in hindsight I would have preferred to drive rather than the train journey. 

Edited by micole

hmfc_liam06
25 minutes ago, Canscot said:

Tell the missus it is easier driving here than in Scotland. Wide open spaces and wide roads. Traffic is a breeze compared to Scotland. In high tourist areas obviously it will be busier but nothing like I have experienced in the last few visits to Scotland. In all my years here I have never taken tours( why would I?). Always driven every where. In my opinion it is the best way to see the country mate. You can and will get to places tours will/would never take you. 
Bring a Sat Nav and get yourself a car. 

Thanks Canscot.

I’ll keep at her 😂

Do you rate Calgary as a city to visit for a few days? My plan was to base there, visit a few towns in the Rockies then fly to Vancouver.

Canscot
8 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Thanks Canscot.

I’ll keep at her 😂

Do you rate Calgary as a city to visit for a few days? My plan was to base there, visit a few towns in the Rockies then fly to Vancouver.

If you are here during the Stampede you would enjoy it. Living here ,I avoid Stampede like the plague though. As a tourist, I would love it. It is a case of been there done that too many times. You know? 
Are you travelling with kids or just the two of you?

Stampede dates. July 5-14. 

Edited by Canscot

highlandjambo3
17 minutes ago, Canscot said:

That wildlife bridge looks the one of the few between Banff and Lake Louise.

It is, there were about 4 of these bridges spaced out at every 3-4 miles and, we passed another one under construction.  Not sure on the positioning of these animal bridges but I’d guess this is a result of a high proportion of animal deaths and accidents within a short distance.  Not ITK but it may be a territorial route that animals regularly pass through.  I know at the top of some of the cable car journeys there are areas that are designated animal routes and others designated human routes…..both don’t cross over.

I took the picture below at the top of a cable car run with a high zoom lens camera, the red arrow shows a bear about a mile away.  If you look right at the front of the picture you’ll see a fence, this is electric to keep animals and us apart, they extend for miles.

IMG_0606.jpeg

hmfc_liam06
10 minutes ago, Canscot said:

If you are here during the Stampede you would enjoy it. Living here ,I avoid Stampede like the plague though. As a tourist, I would love it. It is a case of been there done that too many times. You know? 
Are you travelling with kids or just the two of you?

Stampede dates. July 5-14. 

Myself, wife and kid who’ll be 11 by time we go. It’s for my 40th. I love the country, visited last year, investigated emigrating (didn’t work out) but I want to explore more places. 40th sounds like a great excuse to do so.

I was thinking of more May time of year. Any advantages of going then?

Canscot
6 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Myself, wife and kid who’ll be 11 by time we go. It’s for my 40th. I love the country, visited last year, investigated emigrating (didn’t work out) but I want to explore more places. 40th sounds like a great excuse to do so.

I was thinking of more May time of year. Any advantages of going then?

It will be quieter for sure. Tourist season will not have kicked in yet. More reason to drive😂 Might even get better accommodation prices too. 

Weather wise it could be anywhere from 30c to 0c. Especially in the mountains, snow is a slight possibility. 
Right now where I live, the last few days have been stunning. Sunny and warmish. 15-17c. By Tuesday we are expecting snow. It won’t stay but that is a typical winter/spring weather pattern which can continue into early/mid May. 

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Will have a look at Trailfinders, cheers.

👍
If you’re Edinburgh based they have a branch in Castle Street.

hmfc_liam06
13 minutes ago, Canscot said:

It will be quieter for sure. Tourist season will not have kicked in yet. More reason to drive😂 Might even get better accommodation prices too. 

Weather wise it could be anywhere from 30c to 0c. Especially in the mountains, snow is a slight possibility. 
Right now where I live, the last few days have been stunning. Sunny and warmish. 15-17c. By Tuesday we are expecting snow. It won’t stay but that is a typical winter/spring weather pattern which can continue into early/mid May. 

Just read a few blog articles on navigating without a car and it seems the best suggestions are to visit June or July as that's when most public transport is back up and running? July is the best time to see the blue lakes?

Canscot
1 minute ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Just read a few blog articles on navigating without a car and it seems the best suggestions are to visit June or July as that's when most public transport is back up and running? July is the best time to see the blue lakes?

As long as the ice is off the lakes they will be splendiforous! In the mountains in June, July the ice is well gone. 
Your idea of public transport is probably not what you will get here. There is no public transport ( you know city buses etc) that go outside of the major centres. There are charter/tour buses that take tourists to/through the mountains etc. But don’t expect to be able to jump off and on buses right left and centre. Train service through the mountains to Vancouver and other cities is in my opinion not a convenient way to travel either. I have lived here nigh on 50 yrs and have NEVER taken a train anywhere.  North America/Canada is still the domain of the car I am afraid. 

hmfc_liam06
6 minutes ago, Canscot said:

As long as the ice is off the lakes they will be splendiforous! In the mountains in June, July the ice is well gone. 
Your idea of public transport is probably not what you will get here. There is no public transport ( you know city buses etc) that go outside of the major centres. There are charter/tour buses that take tourists to/through the mountains etc. But don’t expect to be able to jump off and on buses right left and centre. Train service through the mountains to Vancouver and other cities is in my opinion not a convenient way to travel either. I have lived here nigh on 50 yrs and have NEVER taken a train anywhere.  North America/Canada is still the domain of the car I am afraid. 

Yeah sorry meant the tour buses rather than actual public transport.

I reckon my itinerary would probably be 2 nights in Calgary, 3 or 4 nights in Banff (still undecided whether to go up to Jasper or not) then 3 nights in Vancouver. 

Libertarian
6 hours ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Yes….like this 

IMG_0332.jpeg

IMG_1448.jpeg

👍 Apparently there is so much copper in the Rockie Mountains, that's why the rivers are turquoise 

Libertarian
1 hour ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

How did you travel, rail? Or drive?

We drove. I can assure you it was really easy and the best way to see the wonderful country. 

highlandjambo3
11 minutes ago, Libertarian said:

👍 Apparently there is so much copper in the Rockie Mountains, that's why the rivers are turquoise 

It’s minerals from the glaciers, you can see one at the top of that picture 

ehcaley

Drove in RV from friends home in Regina,Sask. across Alberta up to Jasper then down(visited most of places mentioned above)to Radium Hot Springs and Fort Steill then back to Calgary via Banff.Tiring but worth it.

Also done coast to coast Halifax to Vancouver and the return a few years later with Via Rail(overnight Halifax to Montreal was fantastic)

J.T.F.Robertson
1 hour ago, micole said:

Some time ago we did the Rocky Mountaineer train from Calgary to Vancouver ( 2 day journey) 13hrs one day and 10 hrs the next. The journey was great to start with however, after 3/4 hrs we started to get bored, if you see one lake/ mountain on repeat you start to just think about getting off. After the first day we were taken to our overnight hotel, we were not looking forward to another 10hrs on a train the following day. Fortunately when we got to Vancouver we were going on a Alaskan cruise so that helped, in hindsight I would have preferred to drive rather than the train journey. 

My cousin and partner did exactly the above last summer and loved it.

52 minutes ago, Canscot said:

Mr. Canscot knows of what he speaks.