A Donald Ford booking question!

thegreatsd

thegreatsd

Today at the game me and my Dad were blethering with another gentleman. The subject turned to Donald Ford and the gentleman said that Ford never got booked for us but my Dad reckoned he got booked bizarrely for bowling the ball overhand to the referee after a free kick had been awarded. I’m way too young at a mere 48 years old to help out! Anybody else able to shed light on who got this right?

1 minute ago, thegreatsd said:

Today at the game me and my Dad were blethering with another gentleman. The subject turned to Donald Ford and the gentleman said that Ford never got booked for us but my Dad reckoned he got booked bizarrely for bowling the ball overhand to the referee after a free kick had been awarded. I’m way too young at a mere 48 years old to help out! Anybody else able to shed light on who got this right?

I was at that game and that is my recollection of what happened as well.

Robin mcewan

Yes, I was at that game and DF threw the ball to the referee but I think it hit his shin to which he took exception and booked him. It was outrageous.

thegreatsd

Thanks. You’ve made Dad happy about his memory still going strong😀👍🇱🇻

Tommy Brown

I still remember hearing about on the radio.

I wasn't at the game, but story as posted by posters previous.

CrawleyJambo

I was there too and that's what happened. We couldn't believe the ref would do it. 

joondalupjambo

Fordie, when he was offside used to pick up the ball and take it back to where he was offside or give to a defender near the spot.  I remember that happening by a lot.  A gent unlike players and their antics of today.

scott herbertson

I was there. My recollection was that he was indeed booked for throwing it back at the referee (may have been a texaco game vs Airdrie or Motherwell I think) . The referee had looked away just as Ford threw it and it hit him. 

I would say that as a previous poster commented Ford usually brought the ball back to give it to the other team, so the throw was a bit uncharacteristic. 

There was nearly a riot on the rterraces due to the booking, the first in a long career.

True gent was Ford

Dsjambo

One of my heroes as a kid, a brilliant player for us, can’t remember this incident at all. I didn’t think he was ever booked, he just got on with the game even when he was being kicked all over the pitch. 

The Treasurer

My recollection is that it was against Clyde in the cup. 

There was quite an outcry about it at the time 

scott herbertson
Just now, The Treasurer said:

Both of us wrong (credit to Hearts Heritage who posted this)

image.png

colinmaroon
29 minutes ago, EIEIO said:

He was booked but it was rescinded on appeal. 

Correct!

Musemic

Your old man is spot on. It was such an odd thing to happen that it has lived long in this old man's memory

Edited by Musemic

Roxy Hearts

I loved Donald Ford as a kid. He was a shining light during a poor time for our club. Don't remember the incident but DF was an intelligent gent.

John Findlay
57 minutes ago, The Treasurer said:

He went in goal against Clyde in the Cup when Cruikie, I think went off injured.

We won 3-1 and I think Donald has scored before going in goal.

henryheart

I remember it well. The match was at home to Partick Thistle on 18 December 1971.

leginten

Ford had had a very frustrating afternoon and allowed the frustration to boil over when he bowled the ball back at the referee after being called offside. It was a gusty afternoon and the wind caught the ball to exaggerate the pace. He was rightly booked in my view, for the only time in his career. A marvellous sportsman.

His reputation counted in his favour when it came to the appeal.

PortyBeach

My Dad told me that the great Tommy Walker was never cautioned by a referee.

In my era, Donald Ford seemed to emulate my Dad’s hero with his professional and sportsmanlike attitude towards the game. 

Libertarian
1 hour ago, scott herbertson said:

I was there. My recollection was that he was indeed booked for throwing it back at the referee (may have been a texaco game vs Airdrie or Motherwell I think) . The referee had looked away just as Ford threw it and it hit him. 

I would say that as a previous poster commented Ford usually brought the ball back to give it to the other team, so the throw was a bit uncharacteristic. 

There was nearly a riot on the rterraces due to the booking, the first in a long career.

True gent was Ford

I'm sure it was a Saturday afternoon league game and if my memory serves me correctly it may have been a game against Partick Thistle 

Archie White

Yes I remember the incident on that day. Also in the current edition of Backpass Magazine there is a 2 page interview with Donald. 

scott herbertson
5 minutes ago, Libertarian said:

I'm sure it was a Saturday afternoon league game and if my memory serves me correctly it may have been a game against Partick Thistle 

See the article above. You are correct - it was this game (London Hearts even notes the time of the yellow card):

https://www.londonhearts.com/scores/games/197112181.html

DesertDawg
2 hours ago, thegreatsd said:

Your Dad is correct.  I was at the game too.  It was really windy day and Ford was throwing the ball to the ref after he blew for a free kick.  The wind caught the ball and nearly bowled the ref over.  Typical Scottish ref got it all wrong and booked Donald Ford for deliberately throwing the ball at him.

The Treasurer
1 hour ago, John Findlay said:

He went in goal against Clyde in the Cup when Cruikie, I think went off injured.

I knew there was a story involving Ford, Clyde and the Scottish Cup. 

AllyjamboDerbyshire
2 hours ago, EIEIO said:

Correct

I always thought he’d never been booked! 
My first Hearts hero 🇱🇻🇱🇻

4marsbars

Remember it well. Another ingredient was the high wind (like today). A sudden gust got behind the ball which fairly skelped the ref, which made him think Donald had thrown the ball at him, not to him.

And yes, he won his appeal and was never booked. A one-off, gentleman footballer. Pity he played in quite a poor team. He merited better team-mates.

Lone Striker

We should never forget Donald's  role in advising the original  FoH guys (Alex Mackie etc) on a workable model to rescue & sustain our club.

ming the merciless

All time favourite Hearts player. Gentlemen and total legend. 

RobbofordGHC

Hopefully Donald is given some further appreciation as part of our 150 celebrations.

Pieandbovril

I'm of a vintage that I was at the game. Still remember the injustice of the booking. Does anyone remember Donald Ford being in a car crash in the early seventies? I remember sending him a get well soon card when he was in hospital.

He also, as well as  being a good cricketer, was a great landscape photographer - I've got his book of photos of Scottish landscapes - signed by the great man. He had a photography shop at South Queensferry. 

(Apologies if this has been covered already). 

Off but on topic, but i remember watching a Rangers game and the referee dropped his yellow card and  didnt notice. Gazza picked it up and shouted over to him. As he was going over to give him it, he jokingly raised the card as to book the ref. The ref took the card and immediately booked Gazza :laugh:

BigAlim

Donald Ford is one of the great unsung heroes in the history of Heart of Midlothian. He very rarely says a great deal but you see his name attached to things like the 500 club, the protests against the Robinson Murrayfield fiasco and the early days of the FOH and there’s a degree of safety in the knowledge that he is involved.

Canscot
7 hours ago, EIEIO said:

This!

DesertDawg
2 hours ago, BigAlim said:

Donald Ford is one of the great unsung heroes in the history of Heart of Midlothian. He very rarely says a great deal but you see his name attached to things like the 500 club, the protests against the Robinson Murrayfield fiasco and the early days of the FOH and there’s a degree of safety in the knowledge that he is involved.

There were strong rumours in the mid-sixties that Celtic had told the Hearts' board to "name their price" for Donald Ford but he refused to go.  "Playing for a different club than Hearts," meant nothing for him.

Harry Potter
11 hours ago, John Findlay said:

Was at that game, Donald looked so little between the posts😕, cant remember the booking tbh.

13 hours ago, thegreatsd said:

Was at the game. A foul was wrongly awarded against Donald and he was then booked after throwing the ball to the referee. Note it was TO not AT the ref. He always returned the ball as he was a true gentleman; the booking was a total joke

Edited by XB52

John Findlay
7 hours ago, BigAlim said:

He is indeed. He is also a very intelligent and modest man too.

Turkishcap
14 hours ago, henryheart said:

I remember it well. The match was at home to Partick Thistle on 18 December 1971.

Yep, sure wind carried the ball.

sirwalter
14 hours ago, leginten said:

Ford had had a very frustrating afternoon and allowed the frustration to boil over when he bowled the ball back at the referee after being called offside. It was a gusty afternoon and the wind caught the ball to exaggerate the pace. He was rightly booked in my view, for the only time in his career. A marvellous sportsman.

His reputation counted in his favour when it came to the appeal.

This is as I recall it. "Boil over" is perhaps a little strong but normally phlegmatic Ford did lose a little of his customary cool and there was an element of dissent in his actions and attitude.

leginten
9 minutes ago, sirwalter said:

This is as I recall it. "Boil over" is perhaps a little strong but normally phlegmatic Ford did lose a little of his customary cool and there was an element of dissent in his actions and attitude.

Agreed. You’ve phrased it much better than I did. “Element of dissent” is perfect.

scott herbertson
27 minutes ago, sirwalter said:

Also my memory of it. I am sure he didn't aim to hit the referee - just chucked the ball back in his direction, which in itself was not characteristic.  The referee had previously given a very bad decision against us IIRC. Nothing ever changes....

CrawleyJambo

I think DF also studied to become a Charteredaccountant, when he was  initially at Hearts and played as an amateur for a bit

jimbojambo
3 hours ago, CrawleyJambo said:

I think DF also studied to become a Charteredaccountant, when he was  initially at Hearts and played as an amateur for a bit

He scored 5 goals against Kilmarnock in a no offside trial game as an amateur in 1965. Also played cricket for Scotland. Should have been given game time at the 1974 World Cup before an over the hill Denis Law. It will be great to see him in May. 

davemclaren
27 minutes ago, jimbojambo said:

He scored 5 goals against Kilmarnock in a no offside trial game as an amateur in 1965. Also played cricket for Scotland. Should have been given game time at the 1974 World Cup before an over the hill Denis Law. It will be great to see him in May. 

Hard to believe that World Cup was 50 years ago. Donald should definitely have played.