The Ref

alicante jambo

alicante jambo

Considering the conditions i thought he had a good game. But this post is about him sticking by his original decision not to award liedoon a penalty. It could clearly be seen that denholm never touched the player he actually put his leg across to denholm and took a dive blatant cheating. So why was the ref even called to look at it on the camera. It puts a lot of pressure on refs to go against their original call but he done the right thing yesterday its something we dont often see. Im not a lover of our officials but fair dues to him for showing hes got the balls to do right.

jamboozy
8 minutes ago, alicante jambo said:

Considering the conditions i thought he had a good game. But this post is about him sticking by his original decision not to award liedoon a penalty. It could clearly be seen that denholm never touched the player he actually put his leg across to denholm and took a dive blatant cheating. So why was the ref even called to look at it on the camera. It puts a lot of pressure on refs to go against their original call but he done the right thing yesterday its something we dont often see. Im not a lover of our officials but fair dues to him for showing hes got the balls to do right.

Yes, it sounds like he had a good game (didn’t attend) . As you say ,well done him for sticking to his guns.  There is a distinct feeling of games being refereed remotely in Scottish football by VAR and it could spoil the use of VAR in this country. Who knows,that might be the plan?😅

Deevers
18 minutes ago, alicante jambo said:

Just take a look at who the VAR referee was. He’s as useless at that as he was officiating in the middle.

19 minutes ago, alicante jambo said:

I've no issue with VAR encouraging refs to have another look but that literally needs to be it - it can't be undue pressure from the VAR room and I think that might be where we're running into issues, like if Collum or Beaton or another senior ref is on VAR, then a more junior ref might feel compelled to capitulate. As I understand it, Alan Muir although never getting to the same sort of level as the so called "top refs" is still a very experienced ref. 

Anyway, fair play to him. Shows a bit of character. 

deko 94

I was surprised as well. Good to see it happen. Have seen it a couple of times now in recent games.

McFadden seemed certain it was a pen however...

manaliveits105
8 minutes ago, Deevers said:

Just take a look at who the VAR referee was. He’s as useless at that as he was officiating in the middle.

Indeed he is at it 

Deevers
5 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

Indeed he is at it 

He must have seen that there was absolutely no contact. That being the case why try to make an issue out of it and call Alan Muir to review it.

I was surprised when it wasn’t overturned but only because nearly 100% of the time, the monitor changes the referees mind.

It’s not a penalty. He throws himself across Denholm, who is making every effort not to bump him, and the only contact comes on the leg when he’s on the way down.

Deodato
2 minutes ago, liam11 said:

I was surprised when it wasn’t overturned but only because nearly 100% of the time, the monitor changes the referees mind.

It’s not a penalty. He throws himself across Denholm, who is making every effort not to bump him, and the only contact comes on the leg when he’s on the way down.

This is correct. Denholm (a) did not make contact and (b) did everything possible to avoid contact. Case closed. So pleased to see a referee (who was well positioned) stick with the original decision. Add to that, how VAR can get what's right and make it appear wrong due to the inferior angle.

maroonsgotop
33 minutes ago, Deevers said:

at least he spotted the handball for our penalty which the ref missed and Vargas didn't claim for

colinmaroon
56 minutes ago, alicante jambo said:

And then you had 🤪 Sportscene.  

wavydavy
35 minutes ago, deko 94 said:

I was surprised as well. Good to see it happen. Have seen it a couple of times now in recent games.

I think this season alone Cochrame has conceded probably two penalties just like the one denied yesterday.

Personally I don't like the way the rules are around the awarding of penalties nowadays. To be fair to Fraser yesterday how was he supposed to get his arm out of the way when he is trying to block the ball and so close to our player having a shot?

The only way he could have avoided that would to have been to have stayed on his feet and then his Manager would probably give him a roasting for not trying to block the shot with his body.

I know they said that his arm was in an unnatural position but was it? I would have been pissed off if we had conceded that penalty.

I am no fan of St Mirren but I think they were treated a bit unfaily yesterday.

The key to these decisions is consistency which even with VAR still doesn't seem to happen.

alicante jambo
13 minutes ago, colinmaroon said:

And then you had 🤪 Sportscene.  

I never seen sportscene tbh mate and dont normally watch it was something said?

Thomaso
5 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

I think this season alone Cochrame has conceded probably two penalties just like the one denied yesterday.

Personally I don't like the way the rules are around the awarding of penalties nowadays. To be fair to Fraser yesterday how was he supposed to get his arm out of the way when he is trying to block the ball and so close to our player having a shot?

The only way he could have avoided that would to have been to have stayed on his feet and then his Manager would probably give him a roasting for not trying to block the shot with his body.

I know they said that his arm was in an unnatural position but was it? I would have been pissed off if we had conceded that penalty.

The key to these decisions is consistency which even with VAR still doesn't seem to happen.

St Mirren? Feck them! 🤣

Barry Radge

The dive was straight out of the Martin Boyle book of blatant cheating. The only thing the ref got wrong when viewing the var replay was not booking the St Mirren player for cheating.

kingantti1874

Alan Muir. Fair play yesterday.  

he was however the VAR who awarded rangers a 90th min penalty against rangers at ibrox, and the VAR who decided Alan Forrest wasn’t fouled at home against RC costing us a pen and a red card.  

Fozzyonthefence
3 minutes ago, Barry Radge said:

The dive was straight out of the Martin Boyle book of blatant cheating. The only thing the ref got wrong when viewing the var replay was not booking the St Mirren player for cheating.

Having seen the highlights on Sportscene I thought it was a penalty.  Denholm is wrong side and makes contact.  Soft, yes, but I’d be raging if we didn’t get that.  Both McCann and McFadden, two of the most sensible pundits, thought it was a penalty too. 

wavydavy
7 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

St Mirren? Feck them! 🤣

Listen, as I said I am no fan of theirs but just used them as an example to point out the problem with the refs, var and inconsistency.

Jambo61
1 hour ago, alicante jambo said:

No yellow!!!

Deevers
36 minutes ago, maroonsgotop said:

at least he spotted the handball for our penalty which the ref missed and Vargas didn't claim for

True. The handball was pretty obvious and had to be checked. The supposed foul by Denholm though looked contrived by the St Mirren player in real time and on the TV replay.

alicante jambo
14 minutes ago, Jambo61 said:

No yellow!!!

Im not sure if he got a yellow or not. Can the ref give a yellow after a var check?

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, deko 94 said:

McCann wasn’t asked so he probably didn’t.

Go for it 1308
26 minutes ago, alicante jambo said:

James McFadden said he thought it was,a pen and should have been given

alicante jambo
21 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Alan Muir. Fair play yesterday.  

he was however the VAR who awarded rangers a 90th min penalty against rangers at ibrox, and the VAR who decided Alan Forrest wasn’t fouled at home against RC costing us a pen and a red card.  

If thats the one harring pulled the rangers player that was a stonewaller but regards forrest incident he got that totally wrong.

alicante jambo
1 minute ago, Go for it 1308 said:

James McFadden said he thought it was,a pen and should have been given

Fair enough thats his opinion but im not sure what he seen. Someone already mentioned it was right out the martin im a cheat boyle book of diving and it was.

Bull's-eye

Given up with them, if they make decisions that go for you then they have a decent game, the opposition will be spewin of course.

All luck and zero judgement when playing anyone but the bigots in my opinion. Then it becomes orchestrated judgement.

Deevers
9 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

McCann wasn’t asked so he probably didn’t.

But shook his head at McFaddens last comment.

Mikey1874

This is what a lot of people including some former referees are saying.

Referees should be allowed to check more incidents. 

In real time it didn't look a penalty and ref confirmed that. But maybe should check more of these sort of things.

Pasquale for King
14 minutes ago, Deevers said:

But shook his head at McFaddens last comment.

Yeah he definitely didn’t agree 

Go for it 1308
44 minutes ago, alicante jambo said:

Fair enough thats his opinion but im not sure what he seen. Someone already mentioned it was right out the martin im a cheat boyle book of diving and it was.

Totally agree.  McFadden is normally spot on....got that one wrong tho 😳 

1 hour ago, wavydavy said:

I think our penalty would have been given even before var, assuming the ref saw it. The ball was heading goal ward when the defender knocked past the post with his arm. Not in any way deliberate but a penalty none the less. For what it's worth I would have given the St Mirren penalty too. 

Jambo61
56 minutes ago, alicante jambo said:

Im not sure if he got a yellow or not. Can the ref give a yellow after a var check?

No yellow.......not sure about rule but he dived/ cheated so one was due!

alicante jambo
3 minutes ago, Jambo61 said:

No yellow.......not sure about rule but he dived/ cheated so one was due!

Deffo mate i agree 100% dive

colinmaroon
4 hours ago, alicante jambo said:

Oh, just agreeing both should have been penalties.

Edited by colinmaroon

john thomas
2 hours ago, Go for it 1308 said:

Totally agree.  McFadden is normally spot on....got that one wrong tho 😳 

McFadden is a good pundit but had his forwards head on there .

Some would say it was clever play by SM player . Think that would be given 80% of the time .

So , yes , credit to referee

Australis

Both managers would have been ready to criticise him after the final whistle.

He didn't give any off them the opportunity. He had a decent game and a backbone.

I'm sure some of the early Celtic tackles when they didn't get any bookings would have seen Hearts and wee team players booked for the same tackles though.

CostaJambo

Was delighted he stuck to his original decision, I wish more refs were brave enough to do it more regularly, I reckon a lot of them reverse the decision purely because they have been challenged.  

maroonsgotop
3 hours ago, 1953 said:

I think our penalty would have been given even before var, assuming the ref saw it. The ball was heading goal ward when the defender knocked past the post with his arm. Not in any way deliberate but a penalty none the less. For what it's worth I would have given the St Mirren penalty too. 

ref gave a corner and even Vargas didn't claim for a penalty so without VAR, no pen

Bazzas right boot

Looked like a pk, nah luck st mirren.

Wrong side, no contact with ball and clipped the player.

Got a bit lucky imo.

The Treasurer
5 hours ago, alicante jambo said:

The midden player was definitely playing for a penalty by sticking his leg out and falling, as you say Bolye-esqe. 

More often than not, the referee is conned into giving those 

Ex member of the SaS

This is the problem with VaR, we need the audio so that the VaR " ref" is not coaching the official. Get him to look again without making any comment trying to influence his decision. Give him a chance to see it again, but don't tell him it's a penalty or whatever, just ask him to take a second look.

Leave the decision to the guy on the pitch.

Ex member of the SaS
4 hours ago, 1953 said:

The problem with the SM penalty claim is we only saw it from behind Denholm, while the ref had a clearer view. The ref had the benefit of seeing it from in front of Denholm ( live )  and then from behind with the VaR view.

Ricardo Quaresma

Looks like Denholm may or may not have brushed him very lightly, but then he (baccus?) re-establishes contact same as that mhank at Tynecastle; he'd maybe thought he'd lost the ball but not sure, however, it didn't look on for a goal with 2 defenders, a post and a goalie to contend with

So he decided to throw himself into Denholm and dive; shameless and shameful, should've been carded

Muir didn't want more attention after costing us very dearly against RC, so, fair enough, he showed some cojones, hopefully dallas was just deferring to him and agreed, so it was just to demonstrate to the midden that everything was kosher

Might VAR have said he was unsure if there was sufficient contact and suggest Muir have a second look?

Thomaso
7 hours ago, wavydavy said:

Listen, as I said I am no fan of theirs but just used them as an example to point out the problem with the refs, var and inconsistency.

I prefer to point out the shaftings Hearts have been on the end of Dave

Edited by Thomaso

9 hours ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Having seen the highlights on Sportscene I thought it was a penalty.  Denholm is wrong side and makes contact.  Soft, yes, but I’d be raging if we didn’t get that.  Both McCann and McFadden, two of the most sensible pundits, thought it was a penalty too. 

He actually stayed silent and wasn't asked.

PapaShango
10 hours ago, alicante jambo said:

If thats the one harring pulled the rangers player that was a stonewaller but regards forrest incident he got that totally wrong.

That was Beaton not Muir that gave that one at Ibrox against Haring. 

wavydavy
15 hours ago, Thomaso said:

I prefer to point out the shaftings Hearts have been on the end of Dave

There is no doubt we have but I was trying to be impartial unlike most of the ref's.