Another referee thread

hereford_hearts

hereford_hearts

Talking to a hun earlier who was complaining about Beaton and the rest of the team for the arse cheek Derby this weekend. 

I happily pointed out to him that if they promoted refs from outwith Glasgow and the west coast then there would be a greater choice of independent refs available. 

Then I read a Facebook post by a celt complain about Beaton as well. 

So what is he, a hun or a celt? 

Bring Back Paulo Sergio

He's a Rangers fan. Ridiculous but there you go.

Just now, hereford_hearts said:

Talking to a hun earlier who was complaining about Beaton and the rest of the team for the arse cheek Derby this weekend. 

I happily pointed out to him that if they promoted refs from outwith Glasgow and the west coast then there would be a greater choice of independent refs available

Then I read a Facebook post by a celt complain about Beaton as well. 

So what is he, a hun or a celt? 

This is the key point. The idea that every referee not from Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Renfrewshire or Ayrshire isn't good enough to promote is frankly ridiculous and demands action by the clubs from outside these regions. Its clear as day that the referees association has been captured by a biased culture of essentially only promoting their mates and its doing a massive diservice to the game at large. David Munro case in point, has been involved in one controversey after another this season. Ignored a karate kick on Boyce, ignored a serious head injury to Mellon - the lad at Dundee, called off games without any communication with the involved clubs just to name a few. The guy is the nicest possible way, isn't competent. 

The clubs urgently need to band together and demand action. A clear list of areas requiring immediate change is needed. I'd implement a quota system to ensure referees are promoting fairly from across Scotland. 

On Beaton, he's a hun. Pictured in a rangers boozer after a derby. 

Vlad Magic

As the west coast paranoia increases over referees and their allegiances, the greater the chances of change.

They created this situation and it’s now beginning to unravel. I would not be surprised to see a huge overhaul of the refereeing system.

It will take time though.

Lone Striker
4 minutes ago, Vlad Magic said:

As the west coast paranoia increases over referees and their allegiances, the greater the chances of change.

They created this situation and it’s now beginning to unravel. I would not be surprised to see a huge overhaul of the refereeing system.

It will take time though.

I wouldn't bet on it, unless the SFA make a left-field appointment to succeed Crawford Allan - such as an English or foreign senior ref -  which is pretty unlikely (imo)

From Hearts fans perspective (and every other club's fans outwith the OF), it doesn't seem to matter if we get a Hun ref (Beaton) or a Sellick ref (Collum) - they're 2 cheeks of the same arse. 

Its almost as if every senior ref has to sign a pledge to treat both Bigot Brothers with kid gloves, and give them the benefit of the doubt in 50-50 incidents, especially penalty decisions,

Vlad Magic
25 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

I wouldn't bet on it, unless the SFA make a left-field appointment to succeed Crawford Allan - such as an English or foreign senior ref -  which is pretty unlikely (imo)

From Hearts fans perspective (and every other club's fans outwith the OF), it doesn't seem to matter if we get a Hun ref (Beaton) or a Sellick ref (Collum) - they're 2 cheeks of the same arse. 

Its almost as if every senior ref has to sign a pledge to treat both Bigot Brothers with kid gloves, and give them the benefit of the doubt in 50-50 incidents, especially penalty decisions,

Which is kinda my point.

The OF have created a refereeing system that suited them. Ie referees selected to give them the maximum advantage when either of them plays a none OF side. 

Now that very system is working against them because the refs haven’t a clue who is in charge. The OF or the refs association. 

Whoever now ref or is 4th official or VAR when the old firm game comes about is now a cluster **** of whataboutery. 

Firmly believe the desire to win the OF derby with an “unbiased” ref will mean an East coast ref, 4th official etc. 

Will stop the paranoia.

Surely, everyone knows that Beaton is a Hun?

13 minutes ago, Morgan said:

And their dug.

henrysmithsgloves
23 minutes ago, Morgan said:

They even know he is at my local Chinese restaurant,the orange wok😬😁

Corstorphine Jambo
4 minutes ago, colinmorewasgash said:

Never lol 

FkgLTmAVQAEQ-Zw.jpg

Beaton-Crown-Bar.png

Beaton-938x1024.jpg

john-beaton-referee.gif.0a84a816ed22c841ad92995622f49817.gif

I’m sure that bottom one is him awarding our second goal in the 3-3 cup final. After him and his assistants missed the fact it was over the line and Christie punched it clear! 

section s heart
3 hours ago, OTT said:

This is the key point. The idea that every referee not from Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Renfrewshire or Ayrshire isn't good enough to promote is frankly ridiculous and demands action by the clubs from outside these regions. Its clear as day that the referees association has been captured by a biased culture of essentially only promoting their mates and its doing a massive diservice to the game at large. David Munro case in point, has been involved in one controversey after another this season. Ignored a karate kick on Boyce, ignored a serious head injury to Mellon - the lad at Dundee, called off games without any communication with the involved clubs just to name a few. The guy is the nicest possible way, isn't competent. 

The clubs urgently need to band together and demand action. A clear list of areas requiring immediate change is needed. I'd implement a quota system to ensure referees are promoting fairly from across Scotland. 

On Beaton, he's a hun. Pictured in a rangers boozer after a derby. 

Munro is a nightmare. Pretty sure we can add Forrest's non penalty against Ross County when Munro was VAR and didn't flag the ref. 

Lovecraft

You just don't get a more smug ****tery than Beaton.

b25lY21zOjZkNDc5ZjNjLWY0MTMtNDRkNC1hNWNm

K.... so it's pretty hard to find a more smug cnnut that Beaton

queensferryjambo
5 hours ago, Corstorphine Jambo said:

I’m sure that bottom one is him awarding our second goal in the 3-3 cup final. After him and his assistants missed the fact it was over the line and Christie punched it clear! 

It is. 

Don't forget they also had an extra man on the line that day who was also able to miss our goal and the hand ball.  

If you watch the actual video of this one second after that clip, he is gesturing to say there is nothing he can do about it to the Celtic players that are moaning and apologising to them that he has to give it. 

image.png.c834c47e1f6749b70dc3d3bf4a142c2c.png

While I agree with the referees from other areas thing , the worst referee we have ever faced was Dougie McDonald 

John Findlay
1 hour ago, queensferryjambo said:

It is. 

Don't forget they also had an extra man on the line that day who was also able to miss our goal and the hand ball.  

If you watch the actual video of this one second after that clip, he is gesturing to say there is nothing he can do about it to the Celtic players that are moaning and apologising to them that he has to give it. 

image.png.c834c47e1f6749b70dc3d3bf4a142c2c.png

He initially was giving Celtic a goal kick, until his watch went off, and Peter Haring heard it. So he couldn't get away with it. If my memory serves me correctly, Bobby Madden was the official behind that goal, that final.

His name is
9 hours ago, Lone Striker said:

This is it. The refs are so scared to make wrong decisions against them, they inevitably give them the benefit of doubt in every decision they make.

Jim_Duncan
3 minutes ago, His name is said:

This is it. The refs are so scared to make wrong decisions against them, they inevitably give them the benefit of doubt in every decision they make.

And look what happens when the rules are applied fairly as in the recent red card from VAR and OUR (not their) penalty v Celtic. Manager and fans trying themselves in knots looking for conspiracies. No wonder refs give them an easy ride. Imagine having your decisions (correct ones at that) being ridiculed just because of the team involved. Most refs come across as arseholes, but I wouldn’t fancy replacing them. 

Ex member of the SaS

We once had a Hearts ref who buggered us by being so non biased it hurt us. He went so far the other way to prove a point or to avoid the bias call he gave us nothing! As for this appointment, it makes me laugh like a hyena, Sevco complained about Gollum and he was never seen in their games since but Beaton is appointed right after Brenda called him incompetent. Both cheeks moaning as he will either favour Sevco or try to be non biased and favour Celtic. You couldn't make it up.

section s heart
11 hours ago, Lone Striker said:

I'd imagine Crawford Allan had plenty on his plate, but on the face of it, he didn't sufficiently address two very key points. 

1) no change in the geographical make up of Grade 1 officials, and no indication as to what he was doing to address it. As an east coast man, he would be well aware of the widespread criticism. Yes, it would have taken time, but as far as we know, nothing was being progressed. And if he was being blocked, he should spill the beans. 

2) lack of leadership with VAR. I prefer Howard Webb's approach in England, and his honesty in calling out serious (not all) errors pretty much right away, and if appropriate standing officials down for a period. There is limited incentive for our lot to get it right every time if they know they'll be back in action next week. 

On the face of it, CA should by now have been driving home (to refs/ VAR) strategies to iron out the inconsistencies in decision making. Handball is an obvious one worldwide, but in Scotland it feels like they are looking for minor infringements (Haring at Ibrox, the Hibs guy at Ibrox), which VAR teams in England would generally let go as not obvious. Or failing to overrule errors (penalty for Celtic and non penalty for Forrest in recent Tynecastle games, Boycie at Fir Park). 

jimbojambo
3 hours ago, John Findlay said:

He initially was giving Celtic a goal kick, until his watch went off, and Peter Haring heard it. So he couldn't get away with it. If my memory serves me correctly, Bobby Madden was the official behind that goal, that final.

I think it was Nick Walsh but an obvious case of not wanting to upset the Old Firm. Sunday with Beaton will be the usual different rules with cards in the pocket whereas would be yellow/red if other teams were involved. 

N Lincs Jambo
4 hours ago, Sooks said:

While I agree with the referees from other areas thing , the worst referee we have ever faced was Dougie McDonald 

I raise you Iain Brines!

Lone Striker
41 minutes ago, N Lincs Jambo said:

I raise you Iain Brines!

I further raise you Brian McGinlay

loveofthegame

Scottish football suffers enormously from the fact that the majority of its population support just two clubs - this filters down into everything... the media are mostly OF fans writing for OF fans, those that run the game are mostly OF fans and those that referee our games are mostly OF fans.

That creates a ridiculous bias across the board - it is laughable that both try to raise conspiracy theories when the truth is that EVERYTHING is set up heavily weighted in their favour.

I suspect that will never change.

The only way to get round the referee piece would be to appoint refs from elsewhere, something I don't ever expect to see. If it did, there would still be unconscious bias based on the pressure of refereeing at Parkhead and Ibrox and the outside pressure from the media, but it might help a little (albeit judging by some of the refereeing performances we've witnessed in our European jaunts, there is no guarantee of that).

I think we're stuck with what we have - the only hope is to build a side good enough to challenge on the pitch in-spite of all these challenges. But it shows how difficult that will be.

N Lincs Jambo
56 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

Going back a bit further do you remember a certain Ian M.D. Foote? He was a proper Hearts-hating C U next Tuesday.

SectionDJambo
3 minutes ago, N Lincs Jambo said:

Going back a bit further do you remember a certain Ian M.D. Foote? He was a proper Hearts-hating C U next Tuesday.

The man responsible for fences going up at Tynecastle 

N Lincs Jambo
2 minutes ago, SectionDJambo said:

The man responsible for fences going up at Tynecastle 

The very same! Tbh though I don't think even he could have been responsible for the person who managed to get ejected from the stadium 90 minutes before kick-off! Not downplaying his role that day but the whole atmosphere was poisonous. Did he not get actually attacked on the pitch by a Hearts fan?

Lone Striker
Just now, N Lincs Jambo said:

😱  I'd forgotten about him.  Yes, he really did seem to "enjoy" refereeing our games.  

This is the write-up in the Weegie Herald on him following his death in 1995.   

IAN FOOTE, who died suddenly in Argyll last week, was, without doubt, one of the finest football referees Scotland has ever produced, on a par with other giants such as Jack Mowat, Hugh Phillips and Tom ``Tiny'' Wharton.  :facepalm:

He will also be remembered as a fair goalkeeper during a playing career with the amateur side Muirend and junior clubs Petershill and Bo'ness United, but it was during the seventies and eighties when he made his big contribution to the game, as a referee.

He was given the honour of handling three Scottish Cup finals, the first in 1975 when Celtic beat Airdrie 3-1 at Hampden Park, the last match in which Parkhead captain Billy McNeill ever played.

Four years later when Rangers met Hibernian in the final, the clubs fought out two goal-less draws with Brian McGinlay in charge.

And when McGinlay could not officiate at the second replay, the SFA turned to Ian Foote. Rangers won that one 3-2 after extra time making it the longest Scottish Cup final of this century.

His third and last Scottish Cup final came in 1981 with Rangers again involved. This time they beat Dundee United 4-1 after a 0-0 draw.

Ian Foote was also on FIFA's list of top referees and in 1979 he handled the first leg of the UEFA Cup final when Red Star Belgrade drew 1-1 with Borussia Moenchengladbach in Yugoslavia.

Tom Wharton, now an SFA referee supervisor, paid tribute to Ian when he said: ``There is no doubt that Ian Foote was one of the most outstanding referees of his time. He was very strict on the field, but a quiet, kindly man who never had a bad word to say about anyone.

``He was a very good-living man and was still involved in his family business. It's tragic that he was not given the chance to enjoy retirement.''

SectionDJambo
2 minutes ago, N Lincs Jambo said:

The very same! Tbh though I don't think even he could have been responsible for the person who managed to get ejected from the stadium 90 minutes before kick-off! Not downplaying his role that day but the whole atmosphere was poisonous. Did he not get actually attacked on the pitch by a Hearts fan?

Yes

After the second time he added on enough time for Hibs to equalise against us, I think.

N Lincs Jambo
1 minute ago, SectionDJambo said:

Yes

After the second time he added on enough time for Hibs to equalise against us, I think.

2nd time in 3 seasons they did that. IIRC a whole 1% of the crowd was either lifted or ejected that day. I think over 50 arrests and 200 ejected. Last unsegregated derby at Tynie as well.

2 hours ago, Lone Striker said:

According to the song, he was very erm... friendly, with fellow referee, Valentine.

JimmyCant

If you truly believe their is an officially sanctioned corrupt culture deliberately favouring one (or two) teams over all the others, then no amount of change, geographical, training, club affiliation declaration, full time appointments, refs from England or abroad, is EVER going to override your deeply held belief that it’s all a fix.

What we have here is incompetence, fear (of the OF)and sub conscious bias. That can all be fixed if the willingness is there to do it

AndrewB
5 hours ago, Morgan said:

According to the song, he was very erm... friendly, with fellow referee, Valentine.

We all agree.