Great server

Ulysses

Ulysses
2 minutes ago, redjambo said:

r1293973_1296x729_16-9.jpg

Seriously, red, d'ya not think the board has been going like Bejaysus since the server change?

redjambo
Just now, Ulysses said:

Seriously, red, d'ya not think the board has been going like Bejaysus since the server change?

Not enough experience or sufficient testing I'm afraid, Uly. I always thought it was pretty fast. Is there something that was relatively slow for you before that's now zippy?

Ulysses
Just now, redjambo said:

Not enough experience or sufficient testing I'm afraid, Uly. I always thought it was pretty fast. Is there something that was relatively slow for you before that's now zippy?

Apart from your charming and witty responses?

Well actually.... :whistling:  :laugh: 

It was reasonably fast, but in general it's now quicker, and the search function response time is a lot better.  

redjambo
Just now, Ulysses said:

Apart from your charming and witty responses?

Well actually.... :whistling:  :laugh: 

It was reasonably fast, but in general it's now quicker, and the search function response time is a lot better.  

You *have* been on the pop. :D

Ah. good call. I don't normally use the search function because when I've tried it in the past it was always too slow (and wouldn't let me do more than one search in a period of time that felt like an eternity), and so I normally just resort to Google with the "site:" prefix. If you're noticing a speed-up in search then Dave must have worked miracles. I wonder if he is going to share his new server's specs in comparison with those of the old one for any tech-heads amongst us.

Ulysses
5 minutes ago, redjambo said:

It's Easter.  Jaysus knows I deserve it.  :laugh: 

Ulysses
6 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Ah. good call. I don't normally use the search function because when I've tried it in the past it was always too slow (and wouldn't let me do more than one search in a period of time that felt like an eternity), and so I normally just resort to Google with the "site:" prefix. If you're noticing a speed-up in search then Dave must have worked miracles. I wonder if he is going to share his new server's specs in comparison with those of the old one for any tech-heads amongst us.

I think the time limits are still there, and still a pain in the glutes, but searches do seem quicker than they were (I've probably put a hex on them now).

redjambo
3 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

It's Easter.  Jaysus knows I deserve it.  :laugh: 

:cheers:

Nookie Bear
9 hours ago, Ulysses said:

I just assumed it was since Shaun Lawson stopped posting.

John Findlay

I thought it was a thread about this fella.

Screenshot_20240401-110908~2.png

davemclaren
12 hours ago, Ulysses said:

**** me, @davemclaren, I'm impressed.

11 hours ago, redjambo said:

Simon, our technical guru, says...

The change was migrating your servers from a conventional (spinning) hard disk based storage cluster to one based entirely on solid state disks. There were no software or spec changes at all, just the type of disks. All three servers will benefit but the database servers will 'feel' the improvement the most since they are the most disky ... this will be why Ulysses noticed search working much better in particular.

redjambo
12 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

The change was migrating your servers from a conventional (spinning) hard disk based storage cluster to one based entirely on solid state disks. There were no software or spec changes at all, just the type of disks. All three servers will benefit but the database servers will 'feel' the improvement the most since they are the most disky ... this will be why Ulysses noticed search working much better in particular.

Cheers, Dave. :thumb: Always good to update from the old spinning rust.

Tommy Brown
27 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

here does this server operate? I mean, is it in some vault somewhere with thousands of other internet domains servers.

Is it in Dave's back garden shed?

I have literally no idea about shit like this. Who pays the leccy for it. 

davemclaren
6 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

here does this server operate? I mean, is it in some vault somewhere with thousands of other internet domains servers.

Somewhere in the USA. 

redjambo
6 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

My original Amstrad CPC464 from 1988 with a new monitor! :  r/retrobattlestations

No leccy required. Re-generated by Dave's exercise bike.

davemclaren
57 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

50 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Somewhere in the USA. 

I stand corrected. They're in the Fortis data centre in Airdrie, just off junction 6A on the M8

https://www.datavita.co.uk/products/datacentre/

4953-014.jpeg

John Findlay
53 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

SSDs? 

Where do Special Sea Dutymen come into it?😉

Maple Leaf
1 hour ago, Ulysses said:

SSDs?  That explains a lot.  Cheers Dave.  :toasting:

You'll no doubt remember the "good old days" when we had one server, with a spinning disk, located in San Diego.  Any time we got over 1,000 concurrent users, which was common on match days, we had to put limits on access ... but the server frequently crashed anyway!

Now the workload is spread over three solid state servers located in Scotland and high user volumes are almost a non-issue.  We can handle 3,000+ concurrent users without a problem.

We also have superb technical support.  Our webmaster gets an alert on his phone at the first sign of server problems and he gets on it immediately.  He was recently on holiday oversees when he got an alert.  He had the problem fixed before anybody saw anything wrong.

Life is now at lot less stressful than it was in your day!!!  :wink:

Maple Leaf
7 minutes ago, Jim_Duncan said:

Time to rethink that multiple account restriction, then…?

:whistling:

You'd be surprised at what we know.  :biggrin2:

Ulysses
38 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

Life is now at lot less stressful than it was in your day!!!  :wink:

Yeah, mostly because I'm not stressing the Bejaysus out of the rest of yiz.  :laugh: :runaway: 

Maple Leaf
2 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

Yeah, mostly because I'm not stressing the Bejaysus out of the rest of yiz.  :laugh: :runaway: 

So true!  :whistling:

Maple Leaf
16 hours ago, redjambo said:

r1293973_1296x729_16-9.jpg

or this.

Beautiful waitress : r/hooters

davemclaren
1 hour ago, Ulysses said:

I'm pleading the fifth..😄

redjambo
2 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

or this.

Beautiful waitress : r/hooters

Wow, that is an impressive set of gnashers.

redjambo
11 minutes ago, Jim_Duncan said:

Youre so superficial, Red. What about her personaltitties?

I do believe your spellchecker has boobed, Jim.

Ulysses
3 hours ago, davemclaren said:

I'm pleading the fifth..😄

lionel-hutz-bad-court-thingy.gif&f=1&nof