Memorials on Trees

FWJ

John Findlay

I actually think a good place to do this would be Corstorphine woods, not any of the city's parks.

Sooperstar
1 hour ago, FWJ said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-68619342

What’s people’s thoughts?  Haven’t really noticed it much TBH but I can see the point of the objectors.

I've not seen any actual plaques but I did see an advert for these things down at the River Almond. I checked the prices out of curiosity and from what I remember they were pretty expensive. Seems a strange way to take money off grieving people and a strange way to remember the dead too. 

If carlsberg did rivals...

Never noticed it before, surely if you want a memorial you put a plaque on a bench which is commonplace. 

Much like in Graveyards, there is a balance to be found between heartfelt commemoration of a dearly missed loved one and gaudy clutter which turns the area into an eyesore.

Jim_Duncan

Plaques are fine. The pictures, flags, candles and flowers are tacky and end up looking duff after a few days. 

I P Knightley

There have been trees planted in a couple of my local parks with plaques in the ground in front of them. I don't see a problem with this; it's no different to seeing a park bench lovingly inscribed with "In memory of Blokey Bloke - He loved sitting in this place looking at the children in the playpark"*

I'm sure the council takes a bit of cash for doing it but where I do have a couple of issues is with a couple in particular. One's been planted pretty recently practically under an already established but unmarked tree; it won't grow. The other is a plaque for a tree in memory of an Eli Larch. I don't know what breed of tree it is but they've missed a trick because it certainly isn't a larch. Whatever it is, it looks like it's in trouble, though, and won't last through the summer. 

* My favourite quote from a is on a tee box for a bugger of a par 3 hole on a course in South Africa. The tee shot has to clear about 160 yards over a ravine which is overgrown with tangled shrubbery and assorted nastiness. The green's small and surrounded by sand and the bench says, "In loving memory of **Saffer van Namesen**. He HATED this hole."

il Duce McTarkin
33 minutes ago, Jim_Duncan said:

Plaques are fine. The pictures, flags, candles and flowers are tacky and end up looking duff after a few days. 

A couple of trees near we that folk have used to top themselves have turned into memorials. Fitba strips and flags and that. 

All roads lead to Gorgie

The world needs more trees so it's a good idea and especially if the person commemorated was concerned about the planet. I paid for some trees to be planted by a charity in Perthshire in memory of my parents but just trees no plaques. Don't mind the idea in towns and cities though!

IronJambo
54 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

There have been trees planted in a couple of my local parks with plaques in the ground in front of them. I don't see a problem with this; it's no different to seeing a park bench lovingly inscribed with "In memory of Blokey Bloke - He loved sitting in this place looking at the children in the playpark"*

Was an old guy fairly local to me died a few years ago. He was once found in the playground of his local primary school during lunch. You've made me think I could do similar for him on a bench outside the school.

"In memory of Rolf who loved to show the children his didgeridoo"

I reckon that would go down well.

IronJambo
1 hour ago, Jim_Duncan said:

Flowers are fine as long as they're real. They grow from seed, flourish, wither and die then go back to ground. They represent life.

It's the fake flowers that need banned, as you say they look rotten after a couple of days and for eternity after.

Lone Striker

Nailing a plaque to the trunk of an existing  big tree is just  lazy virtue signalling idiocy, imo - probably damaging the tree in some way. 

If you want to create a memory to someone,  plant a new little tree somewhere less public  and stick a memorial plaque in the ground near it.   Oh, and go visit it from time to time instead of  just letting it die.