Anyone been invloved in a minor rtc

Ministryofdad

Ministryofdad

Had a minor bump on Gorgie road just past the laich driving to chesser. 

Ken that private road opposite the old council building?

Was about 18:38 just after bus lane was reopened. 

The lane towards prison before the lights was rammed coz of rush hour. 

The bus lane wasn't. And was free. 

Out of nowhere this lassie decided it was fine to attempt a 180 after a driver flashed her to go. 

Cross two lanes of on coming traffic without looking to see if anything was coming in the bus lane. 

Slammed on my brakes. 

Managed to give her a love tap. 

Scuffed my front bumper and cracked my front number plate. 

Their insurer has already admitted liability. 

What do I do next?! 

I've notified my insurance company. 

Their insurance had already called me. 

What do I claim for? 

Do I contact a lawyer and fight this for compensation ect. 

They want to pick up my car and assess it ect 

Never happened to me before in my 24 years of driving. 

The roads are getting worse and the driving even more so these days 

Cairneyhill Jambo

Your insurance company will send out forms for you to fill in and you'll have to do daft wee drawings on how the bump happened. 

They'll then arrange for your car to be repaired. You'll have to pay the excess as set out in your policy. 

The two insurance companies will then argue between each other for about 6 months and if you win, you'll get your excess back. 

Sooperstar

What's wrong with you? What's wrong with your car? There is your answer. 

Sooperstar
Just now, Cairneyhill Jambo said:

Your insurance company will send out forms for you to fill in and you'll have to do daft wee drawings on how the bump happened. 

They'll then arrange for your car to be repaired. You'll have to pay the excess as set out in your policy. 

The two insurance companies will then argue between each other for about 6 months and if you win, you'll get your excess back. 

The other party's insurer has already admitted liability, per the OP. 

Cairneyhill Jambo
6 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

The other party's insurer has already admitted liability, per the OP. 

They can sometimes change their mind. That has happened to me a couple of times. I wouldn't trust anything insurance companies say 

Edited by Cairneyhill Jambo

been here before

Compensation for a scuffed bumper and a cracked number plate?

:rofl:

Ulysses
9 minutes ago, been here before said:

I'd want the repair paid for.  But other than that....

Thunder and Lightning

I hope your Samsung S24 and new touch screen laptop survived the crash...

Diadora Van Basten

I was involved in an accident that was my fault. I just wrote up what happened and the insurance company took care of it.

I don’t even know if the other party got compensation but assume they did.

been here before
11 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

As any reasonably sane person would.

Ulysses
1 minute ago, been here before said:

I dunno if the OP is looking for anything else.  He says it's the first time he's had a tip, so maybe he's just asking what gives?

the posh bit
37 minutes ago, been here before said:

27 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

15 minutes ago, been here before said:

Reasonably sane OP? 

Ulysses
31 minutes ago, the posh bit said:

Reasonably sane OP? 

I refer you to my post 13 minutes before yours.  I'm not sure what else to say.

3 hours ago, Cranston said:

Tell them you've got neck pain, and whiplash. Minimum 2 grand payout. 

Those days are gone, difficult to get any decent amount now.

Screenshot_20240324-003514~2.png

Bull's-eye

5k in used notes can be clearly seen flying out the OPs top pocket and out the open window on collision,  the wedge is seen being picked up by a huge Gull who flys off into the sunset. 

I'm happy to testify on the above as I saw everything.  I'll take 50% for my trouble. 

henrysmithsgloves
2 hours ago, been here before said:

They wrote my daughters polo off for rear bumper damage 😳 it was going to cost about two grand to repair 😳 I bought second hand one from flea bay, already the same colour for a hundred quid and fitted it myself. Then the insurance company said they want an engineer report or they were cancelling her insurance 😳 Luckily I still have mates in the motor trade 🤣

luckyBatistuta
8 hours ago, Cranston said:

Tell them you've got neck pain, and whiplash. Minimum 2 grand payout. 

And here’s what’s wrong in society these days. No wonder our car insurance is so high with the amount of scam artists out there.

6 hours ago, been here before said:

I tapped the back of a car, whose driver moved to go out from a side street on to a quiet main road, then instantly slammed on his brakes instead. I only just tapped him, maybe cracking his registration plate. I had dash cam footage to prove what happened. The other car was already really badly damaged before I tapped him and he implied at the scene that he was fine, but wouldn’t be later. He was an off duty cop and even though I supplied the video evidence to my insurance, they still paid him £11k for personal injury and hiring another car. Total scumbag🤬

4 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

And here’s what’s wrong in society these days. No wonder our car insurance is so high with the amount of scam artists out there.

I tapped the back of a car, whose driver moved to go out from a side street on to a quiet main road, then instantly slammed on his brakes instead. I only just tapped him, maybe cracking his registration plate. I had dash cam footage to prove what happened. The other car was already really badly damaged before I tapped him and he implied at the scene that he was fine, but wouldn’t be later. He was an off duty cop and even though I supplied the video evidence to my insurance, they still paid him £11k for personal injury and hiring another car. Total scumbag🤬

Again, it's not what is wrong with society. It's been largely fixed.

Google "Whiplash Injury Regulations 2021"

Car insurance is high because car insurance companies are scam artists.

luckyBatistuta
54 minutes ago, cazzyy said:

Again, it's not what is wrong with society. It's been largely fixed.

Google "Whiplash Injury Regulations 2021"

Car insurance is high because car insurance companies are scam artists.

I myself know quite a few people who have claimed for whiplash injury when I know they were at it and there’s been nothing wrong with them. So people all over the place making fraudulent injury claims for personal financial gain isn’t wrong. It’s been widespread for years, you think that isn’t going to push prices up. It is what’s wrong in society, file with the cheque book scam, Amazon scam, etc. I know insurance companies are scamming folks too, but just because it’s easy to do, doesn’t make it right.

1 minute ago, luckyBatistuta said:

I myself know quite a few people who have claimed for whiplash injury when I know they were at it and there’s been nothing wrong with them. So people all over the place making fraudulent injury claims for personal financial gain isn’t wrong. It’s been widespread for years, you think that isn’t going to push prices up. It is what’s wrong in society, file with the cheque book scam, Amazon scam, etc. I know insurance companies are scamming folks too, but just because it’s easy to do, doesn’t make it right.

Since the new legislation came in? I doubt it.

Herbert.

Your insurance quote is gonna be sky high. Mine went from 50pm to 130pm after someone hit me, my no claims wasnt effected though 😄

Jim_Duncan
1 hour ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Exactly. These spangles that think they’re onto some easy money will be the first to complain when premiums go up. 

1 hour ago, Jim_Duncan said:

Exactly. These spangles that think they’re onto some easy money will be the first to complain when premiums go up. 

Nope, doesn't work like that anymore. You carry on perpetuating the myth though. 👍

Jim_Duncan
52 minutes ago, cazzyy said:

Nope, doesn't work like that anymore. You carry on perpetuating the myth though. 👍

So that dictionary wasn't just for squishing spiders then?

Spellczech
23 hours ago, Cairneyhill Jambo said:

They can sometimes change their mind. That has happened to me a couple of times. I wouldn't trust anything insurance companies say 

Dunno - I started a thread about my wife's car being stolen a week ago last Monday, well Admiral landed the money in her bank account last night (not even 2 weeks since the car was taken!) and what's more the settlement was only 9.5% less than what she paid for her car 5 years ago!...

il Duce McTarkin
7 hours ago, Jim_Duncan said:

So that dictionary wasn't just for squishing spiders then?

:jj:

If carlsberg did rivals...
10 hours ago, Herbert. said:

Your insurance quote is gonna be sky high. Mine went from 50pm to 130pm after someone hit me, my no claims wasnt effected though 😄

£130 per month? Over £1500 per annum? May I ask where you park your Ferrari of an evening?

henrysmithsgloves
46 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

Dunno - I started a thread about my wife's car being stolen a week ago last Monday, well Admiral landed the money in her bank account last night (not even 2 weeks since the car was taken!) and what's more the settlement was only 9.5% less than what she paid for her car 5 years ago!...

Win,win😁👍🏻

Ministryofdad

Quick update for everyone. 

Company is picking up my car tomorrow to assess damages. 

Took it to my father in law whos a mechanic. 

Told me that

Front bumper is needing replaced. 

Front number plate also. 

Near side front suspension arm 

Offside front spring 

Front wheels will need a realignment. 

Break in the wiring loom along the front of the heating as pin is broken due to impact 

Causing abs light to malfunction to the right abs sensor. 

Car looks like it will be written off due to parts shortage (common insurance jargon) 

I have to refuse the first offer they give. 

If not satafifed with anything I have to go through solicitor. 

Really got the fear for driving now incase it happens again. 

Keep going over what I could have done different. 

I've got dashcam footage and their insurer keeps hounding me to accept an offer. 

Gonna call my insurance company tomorrow. 

Im fully insured. Got all bells and whistles.

Gonna cast iron confirm I am in no way at fault and my premium and no claims remains intact. 

Do I leave it between insurance companies and wait for the outcome or do I go to a independent solicitor and seek proper legal advice. 

My father in law and mate said just go thought their insurance company and see what they offer. 

My car Just passed it's mot on a month ago. 

It had new springs, brakes, discs pads, shock absorbers. Tyres and it got serviced.

The oil is not even black in it yet!

And I bought a new multimedia system for it with reverse parking sensor. 

Got it detailed, waxed buffed, polished. 

This year I've spent almost £1600 knowing it was gonna last me another 3 years. 

Still keep thinking about it even with dashcam footage. 

I guarantee they will write it off. 

Let you know when I get it back. 

However long that will take 

Ulysses

I'm used to how insurance works in Ireland, so the Scottish way of doing things could be quite different, but here's my two cents' worth.

44 minutes ago, Ministryofdad said:

Which company?  Your insurers?

Good for getting useful advice, but you might need more than that for dealing with insurers.

Car looks like it will be written off due to parts shortage (common insurance jargon) 

Why a solicitor?  In Ireland, you only tend to involve solicitors in the event of personal injury or a serious dispute between you and the insurers over valuations.

their insurer keeps hounding me to accept an offer. 

That's your business, and ignore the pressure until you've discussed with your own insurers to your satisfaction.  In fact, it's good advice to talk to your own insurer before talking to the insurers for the other driver.

Gonna cast iron confirm I am in no way at fault and my premium and no claims remains intact. 

Do I leave it between insurance companies and wait for the outcome or do I go to a independent solicitor and seek proper legal advice. 

Here, what normally happens is that you deal with your own insurers.  They sort you out and then they recover from the other driver's insurers.  That way, you get your loss sorted quicker and you leave the arguing to the experts.  But as I said before things might be different where you are.

My father in law and mate said just go thought their insurance company and see what they offer. 

I wouldn't do that (in Ireland) without at least running it by my own insurers.  That's partly because the rules here are that you must inform your own insurers of any accident or claim that involves your car, even if you're not the one claiming.

Perhaps, but it's up to you to decide if the sums make sense.  Once again I'm quoting the way business gets done here, but by letting your own insurer sort things you get the benefit of their expertise and access to loss assessors and the likes.  In Ireland, insurers will also refer you to their preferred repair shops - more costly, but it's simpler and you're not paying.  

If your own insurers sort things out and it doesn't affect you negatively (no claims, and so on) then that's a good way to go.  If you don't like what they have to say, and the other driver's insurers seem to be jerking you about, then you might have to think about either.

I have no idea if the above is helpful in a Scottish context, but the main advice is to talk it through with your insurers before making any decisions.

Spellczech
8 hours ago, Ministryofdad said:

Told me that

Front bumper is needing replaced. 

Front number plate also. 

Near side front suspension arm 

Offside front spring 

Front wheels will need a realignment. 

Break in the wiring loom along the front of the heating as pin is broken due to impact 

Causing abs light to malfunction to the right abs sensor. 

Really got the fear for driving now incase it happens again. 

Keep going over what I could have done different. 

I've got dashcam footage and their insurer keeps hounding me to accept an offer. 

My car Just passed it's mot on a month ago. 

It had new springs, brakes, discs pads, shock absorbers. Tyres and it got serviced.

The oil is not even black in it yet!

And I bought a new multimedia system for it with reverse parking sensor. 

Got it detailed, waxed buffed, polished. 

This year I've spent almost £1600 knowing it was gonna last me another 3 years. 

Still keep thinking about it even with dashcam footage. 

Let you know when I get it back. 

However long that will take 

I had a no fault claim which resulted in a write off. It cost me financially as it was an old car with about 70k miles but still had plenty of life left in it (Mazda 3). Looking back I regret not making a PI claim as my head smacked the side window but I'm an honest person and I wasn't actually injured (was early 20s)

What happened to me was I was going through a green light on the inside lane. There was a van in the right lane slowing down and indicating to turn right. Totally unsighted due to the van, a girl went through red light and appeared from in front of the van right in front of me. Nothing I could do. Basically had time only to go for the brake but I don't think I managed to slow at all...You do think about it, but truth is that the other driver made the error which caused the crash and I was driving at a reasonable speed. I could not have done anything differently...

My experience with the loss adjuster was amusing. He called and said the car had done higher mileage than I had estimated, so had higher annual mileage. Then he said that the car was an early version for that year so a year older than I had claimed...I was immediately "woah, woah Woah" you want to reduce the value for both how old it was and higher mileage? If it is a year older then the average mileage comes down...He is like "oh yeah". I replied "How long have you been doing this job?" haha

I also had some fun with someone from the insurer complaining about the mileage on the hire car I'd had for 2 weeks. Personally I didn't think I'd used it that much so still wonder if Enterprise pulled a fast one...However, he had the cheek to ask me where I'd been driving. In truth I had gone to Glenrothes to see some Velux Window blinds (was a long time ago) but but other than that it was just local work travel... I replied that I'd been "visiting a lot of garages because someone wrote my car off and I was shopping for a replacement"

At that time I was with Direct Line. I didn't like them TBH - felt like they were against me even though it was a No fault claim!

Edited by Spellczech

AndyNic
On 23/03/2024 at 22:46, been here before said:

Mental distress. 

Take the ***** for everything. **** the system.