Sint Paa-dees!

Morgan

How time flies!

Has it really been a year since we all dug out our green felt hats, pinned on our shamrock badges and went to the pub to ‘celebrate’ this wonderful day with fellow leprechauns?

Oh, what a hoot!

The hilarity of pinching anyone who isn’t wearing green.  :rofl:

The joy of drinking pint after pint of Guinness.  :boak:

The culinary treat that is corned beef and cabbage. 👌

The music, the craic, the fighting.  

Can a day be any better?

I have my doubts.

Happy Saint Patrick’s Day, one and all.

Marr ginn

JudyJudyJudy

Happy St Patrick’s say ☘️ 

Edited by JudyJudyJudy

Benny Klack

Agree with the OP

Apart for your dislike of Guinness obviously 👍

The day you can sit in the pub with your pint of Guinness if it’s your regular pint of choice and watch students struggle their way through a pint of it. 

Spellczech

The Irish have always marketed themselves well. It is our fault that we have so much more history but cannot market it as well... Seriously has anyone alive really read Joyce?

Edited by Spellczech

Ulysses
5 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

Seriously has anyone alive really read Joyce?

Well Irish people haven't, obvs.  Too busy watching our boys winning another Six Nations.  :runaway:

Des Lynam

I've always promised myself as i've gotten older i wasn't going to become some old judgemental bore. 

Good luck to the young folk enjoying the craic on Saint Paddy's day! 

1 hour ago, Spellczech said:

The Irish have always marketed themselves well. It is our fault that we have so much more history but cannot market it as well... Seriously has anyone alive really read Joyce?

Pretty sure you can put most of that down to the marketing department of Diageo. 

GinRummy

I’ve tried reading Ulysses but gave up. Will have another go when I retire. 

15 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Start with Dubliners and A Portrait Of The Artist As A Young Man. It’s a good gateway into it. I’ve never got too far into Ulysses and Finegan’s Wake is too much of a challenge. 

GinRummy
26 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Start with Dubliners and A Portrait Of The Artist As A Young Man. It’s a good gateway into it. I’ve never got too far into Ulysses and Finegan’s Wake is too much of a challenge. 

Thanks for the advice 👍

il Duce McTarkin
5 hours ago, GinRummy said:

I'm like that with Dostoevsky. 

At east Tolstoy and Chekhov do an engaging short story.

4 hours ago, Tazio said:

Start with Dubliners and A Portrait Of The Artist As A Young Man. It’s a good gateway into it.

Cheers, Tazio. I've been meaning to get around to the latter for a while and this is a timely reminder. 👍

Watt-Zeefuik

Y'all will enjoy this. Our kid's preschool teacher had them stitch together a little booklet for St. Paddy's.

image.thumb.jpeg.eeba258901af5c1f94e46754a8cf703e.jpeg

Note the "Ireland Themed" castle on the front . . . . . . . . . . .

(Gonna tell them it's a view from the ancient and mighty Castle Tyne, defended to this day defiantly by the Maroon Guard . . . )

il Duce McTarkin
6 minutes ago, Watt-Zeefuik said:

Y'all will enjoy this. Our kid's preschool teacher had them stitch together a little booklet for St. Paddy's.

image.thumb.jpeg.eeba258901af5c1f94e46754a8cf703e.jpeg

Note the "Ireland Themed" castle on the front . . . . . . . . . . .

(Gonna tell them it's a view from the ancient and mighty Castle Tyne, defended to this day defiantly by the Maroon Guard . . . )

My Mrs says that you have lovely nails and a well balanced diet.

Jim_Duncan
6 hours ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

IMG_7721.jpeg

Like, people who like cats or, like, people who shag em?

Spellczech
13 hours ago, Craig_ said:

Pretty sure you can put most of that down to the marketing department of Diageo. 

That's the thing though - you go to Dublin and do the Guinness Tour, then see the old Post Office on the Hop-on, Hop-off bus...After that you are left scratching your head for anything else to do until the pub in the evening...So you see a Joyce Tour and think well I can name 2 of his books (one because it is the name of a pub) so I'll join all the other bluffers on that tour! Haha

JudyJudyJudy
51 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

That's the thing though - you go to Dublin and do the Guinness Tour, then see the old Post Office on the Hop-on, Hop-off bus...After that you are left scratching your head for anything else to do until the pub in the evening...So you see a Joyce Tour and think well I can name 2 of his books (one because it is the name of a pub) so I'll join all the other bluffers on that tour! Haha

What about trinity college ? I was in Dublin once a few years back to see la Streisand in concert . I found it quite expensive and didn’t go to see any of the sites you managed . I do have a pic of my hand on one of molly malones boobs ( the statue I mean ) 😂

Japan Jambo
14 hours ago, GinRummy said:

Dignitas will be quicker and less painful

Japan Jambo
8 hours ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

IMG_7721.jpeg

good to see you championing pussy for a change James. 😁

Jim_Duncan
57 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

Not true. I once spent the day in Dublin in between morning and evening drinking sessions. I bought Guns N Roses’ The Spaghetti Incident, a Richard Brautigan book and a hat. Plenty to do there!

image.png.12434df29b450c06a2215e716d43a6dd.png

Pretty accurate summary of Dublin, though.

And I've read one Joyce novel, unfortunately.

scott herbertson
14 hours ago, GinRummy said:

I agree with Tazio's advice - Dublliners is very good. Portrait of the Artist was my favourite book as a 16 year old.

I failed to engage with Ulysses though (I even took it to Spain for the World cup in 1982 and got through about a quarter of it)  - like yourself I told myself i would give it a go on retirement. Now i am retired I've no intention of wasting my precious time reading it - it really needs to be read with an explanatory book at your side, and i can't be bothered with that any more.

JudyJudyJudy
8 minutes ago, Japan Jambo said:

good to see you championing pussy for a change James. 😁

I love pussy ,,,,,,,, cats 🐈‍⬛ 

More booze-related stuff, but the Jamesons tour is decent. Although they did a tasting against Johnnie Walker Black, and every one of our group preferred the Scotch to the Irish whiskey!

Spellczech
2 hours ago, Jim_Duncan said:

Not true. I once spent the day in Dublin in between morning and evening drinking sessions. I bought Guns N Roses’ The Spaghetti Incident, a Richard Brautigan book and a hat. Plenty to do there!

You went shopping? That is something I would never do on holiday...It is the wife's main hobby though.

15 hours ago, Mr Sifter said:

IMG_6159.jpeg

:lol: 

Perfect!

The Gilmerton ‘chaps’ never looked the brightest, to be honest.

Watt-Zeefuik
On 17/03/2024 at 20:31, il Duce McTarkin said:

My Mrs says that you have lovely nails and a well balanced diet.

LOL, it was my spouse who took the photo, so those are her nails. And credit to her, she was the first one to spot the castle. Brought it to me and was like, "what's wrong with this picture?" Took me a moment to be like, well, uh, I guess it could be a castle in Ireland that looked kind of like it . ..  (quick photo search) nope that's definitely Edinburgh Castle.