Politicians

Ked

i wish jj was my dad

The internet has created a platform for horrible b'stards to promote their bile. It's easy to sit behind a keyboard and post things that would generally get you a slap iif you behaved like that in real life. While it's normally harmless there is a danger is that these goons connect with people who are damaged enough to behave like that in real life.  Those types can be provoked into doing something stupid or dangerous which can harm them or others.  

JudyJudyJudy

Not just politicians Ked . The daily threats and abuse  JK Rowling gets online is particularly shocking . All from a  “ vulnerable “ group . Shameful really . 

IMG_7705.jpeg

Edited by JudyJudyJudy

JudyJudyJudy
3 hours ago, Ked said:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-68562310

Read through the threads on here and there's an awful lot of nasty personal stuff .

Are we more nasty as a society now?

Or are we just more easily heard?

The Indy thread is particularly nasty . I try not to get lured into the name calling now but some are continually at it . I can’t imagine what that thread will be like if another Indy ref was initiated . I think the more people realise they are losing an argument then that’s when the abuse starts or snidey comments from certain wee posters . Like I said I try not to rise to it now . As for someone stating that some comments can in influence others to do more harmful things ? I don’t buy that . That’s like the old  trope about video games making kids more violent .  Personal responsibility and all . 

il Duce McTarkin
2 hours ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

The internet has created a platform for horrible b'stards to promote their bile. It's easy to sit behind a keyboard and post things that would generally get you a slap iif you behaved like that in real life. 

I've had a rake of slaps in real life too, tbf.

:sadrobbo:

JudyJudyJudy
1 minute ago, il Duce McTarkin said:

Anything I’ve said on this ill happily say to anyone in the “ real world “ . And I have . There is no dissonance between my online persona and my real one . 

Benny Klack
48 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Anything I’ve said on this ill happily say to anyone in the “ real world “ . And I have . There is no dissonance between my online persona and my real one . 

🤔

5 hours ago, Ked said:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-68562310

Read through the threads on here and there's an awful lot of nasty personal stuff .

Are we more nasty as a society now?

Or are we just more easily heard?

It could be argued, Ked, that if you have a government that is so corrupt, and arrogant with it, it bleeds down to the society they are supposed to govern.

I think it is a good argument. The UK really has to re-gain a level of decency that lessens this type of behaviour.

Getting rid of this bunch of criminals would be a start. Oh, and I’m very aware someone will be along to say the last sentence is contradictory. I don’t think it is. They are exactly as described.

Edited by Boab

JDK2020
7 minutes ago, Boab said:

It could be argued, Ked, that if you have a government that is so corrupt, and arrogant with it, it bleeds down to the society they are supposed to govern.

I think it is a good argument. The UK really has to re-gain a level of decency that lessens this type of behaviour.

Getting rid of this bunch of criminals would be a start. Oh, and I’m very aware someone will be along to say the last sentence is contradictory. I don’t think it is. They are exactly as described.

That certainly applies to snp scotland.

JudyJudyJudy
3 minutes ago, JDK2020 said:

In a 🥜 

redjambo
2 hours ago, il Duce McTarkin said:

I can't believe that, Tarks.

oUXp-sZGkPBE6xtblS04x128rfYql1-Q-I9PFcKS

redjambo
5 hours ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

The internet has created a platform for horrible b'stards to promote their bile. It's easy to sit behind a keyboard and post things that would generally get you a slap iif you behaved like that in real life. While it's normally harmless there is a danger is that these goons connect with people who are damaged enough to behave like that in real life.  Those types can be provoked into doing something stupid or dangerous which can harm them or others.  

Spot on. It's easy to hide away from responsibility these days. Everything can be virtual, until it inevitably isn't and it bleeds through to the real world.

il Duce McTarkin
4 hours ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

So you're an absolute bawsack in the real world too, jimmy?

JudyJudyJudy
3 minutes ago, il Duce McTarkin said:

So you're an absolute bawsack in the real world too, jimmy?

Oh i have my fans 

image-23-10-21-06-58-14.gif

il Duce McTarkin
1 hour ago, redjambo said:

I can't believe that, Tarks.

oUXp-sZGkPBE6xtblS04x128rfYql1-Q-I9PFcKS

I generally get @Jeffros Furios to bag up and shallow grave my enemies, red. He's been a good henchman over the years, but it's taken its toll on his health. Probably time for some fresh blood. @Dawnrazor, you busy a week on Tuesday?

il Duce McTarkin
1 minute ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Oh i have my fans 

image-23-10-21-06-58-14.gif

:D

Good lad.

Dawnrazor
6 minutes ago, il Duce McTarkin said:

I generally get @Jeffros Furios to bag up and shallow grave my enemies, red. He's been a good henchman over the years, but it's taken its toll on his health. Probably time for some fresh blood. @Dawnrazor, you busy a week on Tuesday?

I'm always busy Guv, us "Dons" usually are 😜

redjambo
7 minutes ago, il Duce McTarkin said:

There won't be much left to bag once @Dawnrazor has his way.

Dawnrazor

I'm only just back from my wee holiday and the abuse has started!

redjambo
Just now, Dawnrazor said:

Finally admitted he's a sheep, in the most unusual of circumstances too.

3 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

I'm only just back from my wee holiday and the abuse has started!

Feckin deserved too.

The holiday and the abuse.

:biggrin2:

I don't think we are a more nasty society. I think that social media has acted as an outlet for people that would say this stuff in their head. I.e they're saying the in your head stuff outloud. I think people are sick of them and not bothering to hide it anymore too. 

TBH with the way politicians have let society down, its no wonder that they are abused in the manner that they are. Maybe I'm wrong, but it feels like there has been just bad news after bad news since the financial crisis. Austerity, tories, brexit, pandemic and consequences of brexit, followed by more austerity. Meanwhile throughout that we've saw stagnant wages, declining living standards and a housing crisis utterly preventing my generation to get onto the housing ladder without more often than not generational help (bank of mum & dad). Tories are offering more of the same, and Labour aren't offering anything different. 

Politicians would rather talk about divisive issues like the trans debate than try and tackle genuine societal problems, or bring in taxes which make life more expensive (pasty tax for example) whilst delivering no discernible benefit. 

PaddysBar
9 hours ago, Pap said:

Its the age of keyboard warriors.

In a nutshell. 

People wouldn’t dream of speaking to other people in person the way they do online. 

JKB is my only exposure to social media and I don’t particularly even like being on here.

escobri

Really missing Nicola just now, hopefully she'll be back on our screens everyday soon. 

ArcticJambo

I personally think we are a pretty nasty piece of work. Social media means it's always in your face now as opposed to just when you left your front door. :lol:

As for politicians, who'd be one these days? I mean really, why would you put yourself, especially if you had any talent whatsoever through the hell of jumped up tits mouthing off at you for trying to do right.  The quality has dropped dramatically, and the respect from the electorate similarly drops and so we go round and round.  Not sure what's going to break the cycle,

PaddysBar
12 minutes ago, ArcticJambo said:

I personally think we are a pretty nasty piece of work. Social media means it's always in your face now as opposed to just when you left your front door. :lol:

As for politicians, who'd be one these days? I mean really, why would you put yourself, especially if you had any talent whatsoever through the hell of jumped up tits mouthing off at you for trying to do right.  The quality has dropped dramatically, and the respect from the electorate similarly drops and so we go round and round.  Not sure what's going to break the cycle,

Anarchy hopefully. 

redjambo
1 minute ago, PaddysBar said:

Anarchy hopefully. 

Difficult to organise though.

PaddysBar
1 minute ago, redjambo said:

Difficult to organise though.

The entire world needs a reset. Russians used to be particularly good at revolting and shooting the ****ers who had subjugated them. Look at them now, agreeing with Putin’s propaganda whilst their kids get massacred and their lives are shite in general. 

Look at the UK. One of the richest countries in the world and folk can’t get to see a doctor or a dentist. 

The ruling class have asset stripped and divided the family silver amongst their pals and we meekly accept it. 

This pattern is repeated continuously in every country and continent on the planet. 

Seven billion people getting shafted by a small minority. 

ArcticJambo
8 minutes ago, PaddysBar said:

Anarchy hopefully. 

Too lazy, Paddy. 🛏️

Dawnrazor

The internet has produced people who can say what they like without the fear of a smack in the pus, it's a bit like writing abuse about someone on a bus shelter then disappearing, zero accountability for being a *****.

il Duce McTarkin
3 hours ago, Dawnrazor said:

Dinnae kid yerself on, Dawn, you're a decent cut-throat with a commendable measure of moral flexibility, but that's about it. 

You concentrate on what you're good at, take your slice of the pie, and leave the heavy hitting to the heavy hitters.

Screenshot_20240317-210709_WhatsApp.jpg.415262e308ffa048253b1d0d55e6018d.jpg

Dawnrazor
13 minutes ago, il Duce McTarkin said:

Dinnae kid yerself on, Dawn, you're a decent cut-throat with a commendable measure of moral flexibility, but that's about it. 

You concentrate on what you're good at, take your slice of the pie, and leave the heavy hitting to the heavy hitters.

Screenshot_20240317-210709_WhatsApp.jpg.415262e308ffa048253b1d0d55e6018d.jpg

Screenshot_20240317-212055~2.png

skinnybob72

The internet / social media has given a voice to people who really shouldn't be heard. Plus it allows them to, more easily than was the case before the internet, find like minded people. 

Edited by skinnybob72

il Duce McTarkin
24 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

Screenshot_20240317-212055~2.png

_132739743_8845448b19bea0f31e8b078580607

Now run along, scamp.

Edited by il Duce McTarkin

henrysmithsgloves
33 minutes ago, skinnybob72 said:

The internet / social media has given a voice to people who really shouldn't be heard. Plus it allows them to, more easily than was the case before the internet, find like minded people. 

Donut.net prime example 😁

the posh bit

People who suggest online that politicians should be shot are entirely entitled to suggest they're sorry for posting that and then the matter should be closed. End of. Apparently. 

Margaret Thatcher really wasn’t all bad.

Fact.

il Duce McTarkin
1 hour ago, the posh bit said:

People who suggest online that politicians should be shot are entirely entitled to suggest they're sorry for posting that and then the matter should be closed. End of. Apparently. 

You should've been shot for a few of your posts, tbf. 🤷‍♂️

manaliveits105
8 hours ago, JDK2020 said:

FACT 

the posh bit
10 hours ago, il Duce McTarkin said:

You should've been shot for a few of your posts, tbf. 🤷‍♂️

That's neither here nor there. 

Spellczech

Social media is detracting from people's social skills. I think people are finding it harder to "read the room" when interacting socially because you can pretty much say whatever you like on social media and get away with it... Many "influencers" would be categorised as "utter morons" in the years before social media. Now they have a voice, followers and power...

Imagine what Hitler and Goebbels could've achieved with social media accounts...?

Edited by Spellczech

henrysmithsgloves
1 hour ago, Spellczech said:

Imagine what Hitler and Goebbels could've achieved with social media accounts...?

A website that would blow follow follow out the holy water 😁

SectionDJambo

In my opinion, a substantial portion of the toxic state of UK politics has been the result of comments made, and the behaviour of, some of those sitting in the HOC.
There also seems to a growing number of unelected individuals and “commentators” who have managed to keep themselves in the public eye by stoking up fears and prejudices, unchallenged to any great degree by a media who actually encourage them.

Then, when anything bad happens they wring their hands and say it’s a tragedy.

Platforms are given to nutters and agitators under the guise of having to allow another opinion or view.

We are in a dangerous place.

highlandjambo3
2 hours ago, Spellczech said:

Social media is detracting from people's social skills.

Unfortunately the “go to” setting for *granny getting mugged, guy falling off a bike, car crash, argument in a public place…etc…etc… is to get your phone out and record, forget helping anyone.

* insert any other minor/major incident.

19 hours ago, PaddysBar said:

Pointless 

If this was for me, Barney, then I don’t know why you edited it.  🤷🏿‍♂️

I made a post, based on my opinion.  

Surely, that’s the whole point of a messageboard?