Where do car thieves often dump cars in West Edinburgh?

Spellczech

luckyBatistuta
Just now, Spellczech said:

Haha touche!

😁

I do hope you get it back with absolutely nothing wrong with it bud🤞👍

Spellczech
2 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

😁

I do hope you get it back with absolutely nothing wrong with it bud🤞👍

You know, when this sort of thing happens you start to wonder if you want it back... - we were a bit complacent about the security risks the car has, and now that it has been nicked once...Wife is already ogling replacements of a different marque, so it would likely get sold, so may be easier if it doesn't get found and we cut out the middle-man...

luckyBatistuta
10 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

You know, when this sort of thing happens you start to wonder if you want it back... - we were a bit complacent about the security risks the car has, and now that it has been nicked once...Wife is already ogling replacements of a different marque, so it would likely get sold, so may be easier if it doesn't get found and we cut out the middle-man...

I have to admit, I wouldn’t want it back. You have no idea what’s happened to it once these scum have had it. Engine has possibly been ripped to within an inch of its life.

Lone Striker
11 hours ago, heartsfc_fan said:

Apparently most cars you can press the lock button twice when you walk away and that does it (I'd test that but my two don't have the keyless unlock feature).

But I think in the infotainment system there is an option to disable it also.

Thanks. 👍  As far as I'm aware, pressing  the lock button twice disables the motion sensor/alarm - handy if you've got dogs in the back seat who move around a lot while you're not there. 🙄  Maybe that includes disabling the passive entry thingy too....not sure.   Seems a bit counter-intuitive though.  

I'll have a play with the info screen options later to see if there's a control setting  there.

Doctor FinnBarr
3 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Just seen this post pop up on another forum…

Neighbour up the end of our cul de sac got his Fiesta stolen last night. Thought he was superior because he had the top of the range Titanium+. Myself and other neighbours still  have the cheaper models (sniff, sniff! haha)

There would appear to be some sort of connection between cul de sacs and car theft then, shit, I live in one. Bottom of the pile Fiesta mind, drum brakes on rear.

luckyBatistuta
6 minutes ago, Doctor FinnBarr said:

There would appear to be some sort of connection between cul de sacs and car theft then, shit, I live in one. Bottom of the pile Fiesta mind, drum brakes on rear.

I live in one too😬

15 hours ago, Jim_Duncan said:

Edinburg car thief's what come from The Inch? Mothers? Chinese takeaways? 

:levein2:

I wasn’t concentrating.

Btw, where is Edinburg?

14 hours ago, Lone Striker said:

Yeah, mine too.  Could be wrong, but I think  the door unlock process uses a similar "nearby sensor" to the one within the car which detects your key once you're inside,  in order to activate the push button function for the ignition.   I wonder how many AA & RAC callouts are due to faulty or malfunctioning  sensors ......... and if there's even anything they can do at the roadside to fix it.  

How do you do that ?  

I have a manual key the opens the car from the passengers door and then there is a spot under the steering column where you can hold the key to start the car when the smart key isn’t recognised

turning off keyless entry varies car by car but for mine it’s a process of having the drivers door open and holding key to the spot under the steering column and then pressing the lights button on the key 3 times followed by the unlock button

Jim_Duncan
18 minutes ago, Morgan said:

I wasn’t concentrating.

Btw, where is Edinburg?

I don’t know, but it’s full of thief’s. 

I P Knightley
16 hours ago, If carlsberg did rivals... said:

Mate of mine works for a big insurance company, tells me they're no longer insuring Land Rovers/ Range Rovers most stolen car in the country.

A pal of mine got a Ford pickup type thing with a five seater cabin. Might be a Ford Ranger. She was told, just after ordering it, that it's the most stolen vehicle as there are certain communities who prize them far more than the luxury of a Rangie. 

When she goes to start it, she has to go through a rigmarole of pressing various buttons on the dashboard in a certain sequence - a security measure option she selected once hearing about how likely it was to be targeted for theft. It's like some Masonic ritual; a bit like what @Ribble described, but possibly a different temple as I'm sure the wiper controls were involved. 

When did we ever ask for "keyless entry" to our cars or powered tailgates/boot lids? No surprise to read above that experts' opinions were ignored in order to introduce these gimmicky innovations. 

AndyNic

I once ran over a guy in The Inch that had just jumped out a stolen car that he'd crashed into parked cars. He was an absolute jakeball out his face. Polis were absolute w*nkers about the whole situation. 

16 hours ago, Greedy Jambo said:

You can get into a Range Rover in 20 seconds and steal it under a minute, but the tools/software you need costs you about 14k. 

Worth it if you're a thief,  i suppose. 

You’re no wrong. Car sales across from us got Range Rover stole a couple month back. Watching them on the camera it was as simple as popping the rear camera off and fitting some black box. 35k motor gone in under a minute. 

24 minutes ago, Jim_Duncan said:

I don’t know, but it’s full of thief’s. 

:touche:

Inch by inch, we are now getting somewhere.

14 minutes ago, AndyNic said:

I once ran over a guy in The Inch that had just jumped out a stolen car that he'd crashed into parked cars. He was an absolute jakeball out his face. Polis were absolute w*nkers about the whole situation. 

You only ran over him once?

What a feckin waste.

16 hours ago, If carlsberg did rivals... said:

Mate of mine works for a big insurance company, tells me they're no longer insuring Land Rovers/ Range Rovers most stolen car in the country.

There's a bit of an anomaly in the data saying Range Rovers are the most stolen, the way the DVLA gathers data lumps all Range Rover models into 1 bucket so the Range Rover, Range Rover Sport, Velar and Evoque are all lumped together. Not saying they aren't stolen a lot but the way the DVLA records data makes it look worse than it is

Stuart Lyon

Just got this from the local Neighbourhood Watch person.

Hi Everyone,

Following several incidents across the city could I please ask that vehicle owners take note of the following simple prevention measures that could stop your vehicle being stolen -

·         Use a steering lock - a visible deterrent to thieves.

·         If your vehicle has keyless entry use a Faraday pouch / metal tin to prevent relay theft.

·         Do not leave keys close to windows / doors – this aids relay theft and physical theft of the keys.

·         If you have a private driveway / parking space, consider fitting a parking bollard.

·          Fit a lock to the vehicles On Board Diagnostic (OBD) port to prevent thieves easily re-programming a new key.

·         Use a pedal box – these specially designed boxes fit over the drive pedals and lock in place when the vehicle is not in use.    

·         Physically check doors are locked before leaving your vehicle and don’t leave valuables within.  

·         Trackers can assist in the recovery of stolen vehicles – check if your vehicle has one and how to obtain information if it is required.  

Further information is available in the attached leaflet or please contact the Crime Prevention Team via

[email protected]

If you see anyone acting suspiciously near to your property please contact the police immediately with as detailed a description as possible of any person or vehicle involved.  Please call 999 if an emergency and urgent police assistance is required or 101 to report the matter to the police.

Regards

PC Campbell
Prevention, Interventions and Partnerships Department
Police Scotland
Edinburgh Division

Attachments

henrysmithsgloves

On the one show tonight, BBC 1. Keyless car theft🧐

Spellczech
5 hours ago, AndyNic said:

Don't tell me - they thought running him over was you using "excessive force" in your citizen's arrest? Slim margins I say

Spellczech
58 minutes ago, henrysmithsgloves said:

On the one show tonight, BBC 1. Keyless car theft🧐

Wife thought they were rubbing her nose in it...Letter to Points of View incoming.

8 hours ago, AndyNic said:

Finally some good ******* food in this thread. Great to see. Hope you drove on top of him then went for a good long walk to calm down before moving the car.

il Duce McTarkin
19 hours ago, AndyNic said:

I once ran over a guy in The Inch that had just jumped out a stolen car that he'd crashed into parked cars. 

Good lad. 

21 hours ago, Morgan said:

I wasn’t concentrating.

Btw, where is Edinburg?

It’s how some people pronounce Édimbourg.

Thought you’d know that TBH ….  😉

4 hours ago, FWJ said:

It’s how some people pronounce Édimbourg.

Thought you’d know that TBH ….  😉

I did know that. 👍

It’s that @Jim_Duncan and his abysmal spelling that tickles me!  And, he didn’t spell it the French way.

Only kidding, Jim.  ❤️

You’re one of the best writers on here.  :thumb:

redjambo
On 13/03/2024 at 14:51, AndyNic said:

I hope you didn't have to swerve too far to hit him.

henrysmithsgloves
On 13/03/2024 at 14:51, AndyNic said:

Hope your car was ok😁

On 13/03/2024 at 16:06, Morgan said:

You only ran over him once?

What a feckin waste.

2 hours ago, redjambo said:

I hope you didn't have to swerve too far to hit him.

1 hour ago, henrysmithsgloves said:

Hope your car was ok😁

:sweeet:

I’m not the only one then, that thinks that the Inch is a good few steps behind ‘classy’?

Wonderful.  ❤️