Match ratings vs. Morton (Scottish Cup, 11 March 2024)

Watt-Zeefuik

Watt-Zeefuik

Didn't see a thread on this so even though it's late, thought I'd start one.

Gordon - 8 - Their attempts weren't worldies and they could have done better, but he was all over everything. MotM.

Lembikisa - 5 - He got run into the touchline today and dispossessed in dangerous areas. We improved when he went off.

Sibbick - 7 - Small handful of wobbly moments but otherwise stood tall against a bunch of big physical cloggers

Rowles - 6 - Got bossed a bit more physically but some very good clearances

Kingsley - 7 - One of our better creative players through the more dire parts of the match, but also got pushed around too much

Baningime - 7 - Retained possession but way too much back-passing in the first half. Came alive 2nd half, brilliant run for the winner

Devlin - 6 - Got lost a lot of the first half but looked much better after Grant went off. Great pass that set up Vargas' missed sitter.

Forrest - 7 - One of our brighter players in a dire first half. Needed better end product but was trying to create something with Kingsley

Grant - 4 - Got kicked off the pitch TBF, but when we needed creativity from him it just wasn't there. Many poor set pieces. Not his day.

Vargas - 7 - Missed the sitter and posted missing for too much of the first half. All redeemed with a great finish for the winner.

Shankland - 7 - Morton decided they would wrestle him into the turf every time. Still set up the winner and could have had other assists. Captain's performance.

Subs:

Cochrane - 7 - Considered giving him MotM for 35 minutes of work. Transformed the midfield when he came on, suddenly made Beni and Devlin look better.

Atkinson - 6 - Wobbly when he first took the pitch but settled and was key part of our patient breakdown of them the last 25 minutes.

Denholm - 5 - Decent shot on his chance, did okay with a few long balls. Didn't look out of place.

colinmaroon
39 minutes ago, Watt-Zeefuik said:

Gordon - 8 - Their attempts weren't worldies and they could have done better, but he was all over everything. MotM.

Lembikisa - 5 - He got run into the touchline today and dispossessed in dangerous areas. We improved when he went off.

Sibbick - 7 - Small handful of wobbly moments but otherwise stood tall against a bunch of big physical cloggers

Kingsley - 7 - One of our better creative players through the more dire parts of the match, but also got pushed around too much

Baningime - 7 - Retained possession but way too much back-passing in the first half. Came alive 2nd half, brilliant run for the winner

Devlin - 6 - Got lost a lot of the first half but looked much better after Grant went off. Great pass that set up Vargas' missed sitter.

Forrest - 7 - One of our brighter players in a dire first half. Needed better end product but was trying to create something with Kingsley

Grant - 4 - Got kicked off the pitch TBF, but when we needed creativity from him it just wasn't there. Many poor set pieces. Not his day.

Vargas - 7 - Missed the sitter and posted missing for too much of the first half. All redeemed with a great finish for the winner.

Shankland - 7 - Morton decided they would wrestle him into the turf every time. Still set up the winner and could have had other assists. Captain's performance.

Subs:

Cochrane - 7 - Considered giving him MotM for 35 minutes of work. Transformed the midfield when he came on, suddenly made Beni and Devlin look better.

Atkinson - 6 - Wobbly when he first took the pitch but settled and was key part of our patient breakdown of them the last 25 minutes.

Denholm - 5 - Decent shot on his chance, did okay with a few long balls. Didn't look out of place.

Minor disagreement, confirmed in a few replays - Denholm- Pathetic shot/passback.

upgotheheads
6 hours ago, Watt-Zeefuik said:

Subs:

Pretty well as I saw it. Grant had the worst game from him  I can remember; his first touch was poor, his second touch was worse, and he gave the ball away more often than he retained it. I hope Hof is back soon.

tcjambo

Grant would be the first player I would like to replace in the squad  Atkinson would be just behind. Another good performance from the much maligned Toby though.

i8hibsh

Not so much ratings but notes of point:

I have high hopes for Vargas but **** me he must improve his shooting. So many missed sitters (Hibs, Dundee, morton etc)

I thought Lembikisa was playing well before he was hooked, our best player infact

Devlin is a walking liability.  A duracell battery that continually gets booked

Our fans are immense

Cappiellow is one of the last old school stadiums

upgotheheads
2 minutes ago, tcjambo said:

Grant would be the first player I would like to replace in the squad  Atkinson would be just behind. Another good performance from the much maligned Toby though.

Grant might not be good enough for serious attempts into Europe but Atkinson certainly improved us when he came on. I didn't think Lembikisa had a bad game but so often nothing came of his attempts to get forward. Atkinson brings a dynamism that other right-backs don't, he's certainly worth retaining, but I agree about Sibbick. 

Lambert Simnel

Subs:

I don't see much to disagree with there, other than the omission of Tait.

I guess you are technically correct as he didn't actually play, but I'm still feeling frustrated that Naismith didn't bring him on at half-time. 

tiger Rudi

Subs:

Maybe a wee bit harsh on Dexter. Done well early on with good deliveries and looked dangerous. Agree he started losing possession alarmingly frequently as the game wore on. Devlin needs to up his game........ We need far more than just work rate in the midfield against teams that sit in. Looked like they targeted Grant a bit, that aside, his touch was non existent and had as poor a game as I've seen from him. 

Beni, Hoff and one other is our strongest midfield......would like to see Tait get some starts. Our opinion of him is based only on a few sub appearances. 

Dsjambo

The result 10

not much else to talk about, we are through and that’s it.

wavydavy
55 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

Pretty well as I saw it. Grant had the worst game from him  I can remember; his first touch was poor, his second touch was worse, and he gave the ball away more often than he retained it. I hope Hof is back soon.

Him and Fraser can share the same car home. They are like twins in terms of what they offer on the pitch. The odd nice touch now and again is far from acceptable. The pair of them could and should be off at the end of the season.

I know people will say it's early days for Fraser but then he hardly looks like he is bursting a gut to impress and get a deal that he apparently wants to stay here.

Forrest and Gordon pass marks. Everyone else played within themselves and generally looked like they could be arsed. 

Dexter and Grant poor.

7 hours ago, Watt-Zeefuik said:

Subs:

Pretty much agree with the above.

Would have liked to see Tait coming on at some point.

RustyRightPeg
37 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

I have high hopes for Vargas but **** me he must improve his shooting. So many missed sitters (Hibs, Dundee, morton etc)

I thought Lembikisa was playing well before he was hooked, our best player infact

Our fans are immense

Sorry but Dexter was atrocious last night and I don't like saying that. I don't often slaughter our own, but between him and Grant last night, they struggled to make a 5 rating combined. They were both as sloppy as each other. Both looked intimidated physically (Grant got the shite kicked out him in fairness), and to be fair the laddie Strapp at LWB for Morton had a really decent game. 

Other than Gordon I don't think anyone was above a 7. It was exactly what we thought it would be on a crap pitch. A scrappy 1-0 does me on any day of the week.

Voice of reason

I thought Sibbick was a bit weak at times. The time when he fell down claiming for a foul and allowed Strap straight through on goal could have put us out the cup. Thankfully Craig saved his blushes. He’s not really got the physicality you need against a team like that - that game was more suited for Kent/Halkett. To be fair, Toby did okay overall.

7 hours ago, Watt-Zeefuik said:

Subs:

Wee bit generous overall, imo, but relatively about right and agree with the comments. I'd probably knock a point off everyone!

hmfc_liam06
2 hours ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Sorry but Dexter was atrocious last night and I don't like saying that. I don't often slaughter our own, but between him and Grant last night, they struggled to make a 5 rating combined. They were both as sloppy as each other. Both looked intimidated physically (Grant got the shite kicked out him in fairness), and to be fair the laddie Strapp at LWB for Morton had a really decent game. 

Other than Gordon I don't think anyone was above a 7. It was exactly what we thought it would be on a crap pitch. A scrappy 1-0 does me on any day of the week.

We've tried and tried to replace Grant and Atkinson at every turn and yet here we are, still playing them (I actually like both).

Recruitment has not been great in either area.

Watt-Zeefuik

For folk thinking I was too harsh on Lembikisa, I'll put my hand up and say I had a very hard time grading his and Vargas's first half performance as I was struggling to see them on the far side of the pitch in the first half. The low camera angle, the dimmer floodlights, and my small computer screen meant that sometimes it looked like we'd just kicked the ball to touch and then suddenly a Hearts player would appear out of nowhere from the dark background. I certainly couldn't see any bits of skill they were doing with the ball.

I just saw a lot of the ball going up the right side and petering out. Second half I have a much clearer grade on both.

colinmaroon
3 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

Our fans are immense

The one Vargas missed the ball bounced as he hit it.  Stewart put that forward as a positive, "it sat up beautifully for him," but if the ball had not bounced, Vargas would have scored.

BackOfTheNet
11 hours ago, Watt-Zeefuik said:

Subs:

Judging purely on last night, no chance Shankland is high as 7. He’d be the first to state that wouldn’t be true. And Atkinson shouldn’t be scoring higher than Lembikisa in my opinion.

Watt-Zeefuik
1 minute ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Judging purely on last night, no chance Shankland is high as 7. He’d be the first to state that wouldn’t be true. And Atkinson shouldn’t be scoring higher than Lembikisa in my opinion.

Lembikisa has been great for us for the past few games but to me last night he was a liability and we got significantly better when Atkinson replaced him. The movement on the pitch was palpably better. Some of that I think is just style of play, in that Lembikisa wants to hit the touchline and Atkinson wants to cut inside, and Morton were smothering the touchlines.

That said, as I said above, I had a hard time seeing what Lembikisa was doing first half. But second half Atkinson was easily the better player (a bit of nerviness in possession when he first came on notwithstanding).

boag1874
12 hours ago, Watt-Zeefuik said:

Subs:

I'd say that's fair

Hackney Hearts
1 hour ago, colinmaroon said:

The one Vargas missed the ball bounced as he hit it.  Stewart put that forward as a positive, "it sat up beautifully for him," but if the ball had not bounced, Vargas would have scored.

It may have "sat up beautifully" if he'd been intending to smash in a volley, but he'd committed to a dink for which the bounce was not ideal.

Personally I was pleased to see him try the dink, as it's his attempts at raw power that have often led to him blazing shots high and wide in the past.

stevie1874

Thought Rowles & the ever dependable Kingsley  were our best players  last night. Rowles tackled everything and a calming influence on Sibbick. Kingsley seems to be back to strolling games after his nightmare patch last year. Dexter I think was hindered in the first half with Vargas directly in front of him as best part of his game is beating last man out wide and delivering cross. 
A zero rating to Morton, never seen such an anti football team. 

boag1874
2 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

We've tried and tried to replace Grant and Atkinson at every turn and yet here we are, still playing them (I actually like both).

Recruitment has not been great in either area.

Agreed. Grant was rubbish last night but he's been good this season, I think 9/10 times we play better when he's on the park. 

Atkinson is another that's been good the vast majority of the season, he had 2 really bad high profile games back to back unfortunately with the Hibs/Rangers games but overall he's been night & day compared to last season.

karipidis

Dhanda should be an upgrade on Grant. Only seems to play well 1 in 3 or 4 games. 

Byyy The Light
1 hour ago, Watt-Zeefuik said:

Lembikisa has been great for us for the past few games but to me last night he was a liability and we got significantly better when Atkinson replaced him. The movement on the pitch was palpably better. Some of that I think is just style of play, in that Lembikisa wants to hit the touchline and Atkinson wants to cut inside, and Morton were smothering the touchlines.

That said, as I said above, I had a hard time seeing what Lembikisa was doing first half. But second half Atkinson was easily the better player (a bit of nerviness in possession when he first came on notwithstanding).

Atkinson got to come on when the Morton players had run themselves in to the ground. Their race had been run by the time he came on

Watt-Zeefuik
52 minutes ago, Byyy The Light said:

Atkinson got to come on when the Morton players had run themselves in to the ground. Their race had been run by the time he came on

When he and Cochrane came on, Morton were at their most dangerous looking and had been the dominant team for a good 15 minutes. I think Cochrane had more to do with it but the subs immediately reversed the effect.

BackOfTheNet
4 hours ago, Watt-Zeefuik said:

I actually got more frustrated at Atkinson than I did Lembikisa. And Atkinson had a tiring Championship level defence to run at and a knackered forward line to defend against.

By no means am I saying either played well, but for me Atkinson was no better and maybe even worse than Lembikisa. (And I have defended Atkinson a lot against the boo boys on here, but in isolation I believe that to be true)

DesertDawg
6 hours ago, colinmaroon said:

👌 Correct.  It's clear in the highlights.  The ball seemed to hit a rut in the pitch and kick up enough to cause Vargas' shot to be lifted up on to the crossbar.  His wry smile afterwards made it look like he thought that himself too.