*** Official Ross County Vs Heart of Midlothian match day thread

Bongo 1874

8skacel8
Just now, Drylaw Hearts said:

Not really.

So you are saying we shouldn't be 3rd and clear by 11 points and in the semi final of the cup?

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hearts007

• Dallas Green

• Boris5115

• Luckies1874

Felix Lighter
4 minutes ago, Drylaw Hearts said:

Not exactly a surprise result.

We are so short of quality attacking options it’s not far off a miracle where we are in the league.

:spam1:

19/05/2012
5 minutes ago, 8skacel8 said:

What a load of nonsense.

39 goals in 30 league games is pretty poor he might have a point outwith Shankland we don’t have much goals in the team 

Atkinson and Sibbick don’t work in the same team. When they played together previously we had the same problems. There’s no understanding between them and both are caught out of position constantly. One doesn’t cover for the other and their anticipation of potential dangers is non existent. For as long as that’s our right hand side every team will target us there. 

Forrest needs to stop cutting inside and trying to shoot, no team is falling for it anymore, they’re happy to show him inside them cover knowing that’s what’s coming.

All that said we should’ve had a couple of goals at least ourselves despite it being a flat performance. Just one of those days when we just couldn’t get any momentum going. 

Im hoping there’s not a feeling of job done with the squad and they’re more focused on the cup than the league, we need to keep pushing on and keep the standards high.

Luckies1874
15 minutes ago, Drylaw Hearts said:

Not exactly a surprise result.

We are so short of quality attacking options it’s not far off a miracle where we are in the league.

We are clearly the 3rd best side. Would be even clearer if we ever had our best 11 or close to it available. Not sure what that says about the overall standard though as this is a very average Hearts team. Some people seem to think stating that is negative but it's the reality whether they like it or not.

Fozzyonthefence
20 minutes ago, No Idle Talk said:

The match versus Kilmarnock suddenly became a lot more important. Lose that one and it's very much game on in the race for third. 

I'm just putting today down to a bad day at the office. It is evident though just how important Frankie Kent and Hof have become to the team. A defence with Atkinson, Sibbick, and Rowles, in it is no defence at all. And the midfield was missing something without Hof.

For once the International break has come at a good time for us. 

We’ve had 3 very bad days at the office in the last 4 league games.  Even when winning before that it’s been a struggle, constantly giving teams a goal or two goal start, and we can’t score in the first half unless we get a soft penalty (don’t think we’ve scored a first half goal from open play since we won at Celtic Park in December).   

I still think 3rd is in the bag but with both Halkett and Kent at the back, Hoff in midfield and MacKay all injured plus having to alternate between Atkinson and Dexter at RB / RWB and having to play some of Sibbick / Grant / Fraser / Denholm we’re very vulnerable at the moment.

Lots of transfer movement required in the summer.  Results really have been papering over some very large cracks and Naismith has done very well to get such good results out of this bang average squad. 

Fozzyonthefence
4 minutes ago, Luckies1874 said:

We are clearly the 3rd best side. Would be even clearer if we ever had our best 11 or close to it available. Not sure what that says about the overall standard though as this is a very average Hearts team. Some people seem to think stating that is negative but it's the reality whether they like it or not.

Bang on. 

Drylaw Hearts
Just now, 8skacel8 said:

So you are saying we shouldn't be 3rd and clear by 11 points and in the semi final of the cup?

We’ve scored fewer league goals than Hibs, Dundee and Motherwell and the same as Killie.

Shankland apart……the rest of the attacking players have been mostly average with some less so.

hearts00
53 minutes ago, ShedBoy said:

Would you consider it a close fight if Killie beat us next game? 

No

PortyBeach
35 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

We were shit. Thats about the size of it. 

NEXT!!!

People talk about a potential challenge for the League title, but the reality is potential champions don’t lose games to potential relegation candidates - assuming they’re realistic challengers. 
Dire stuff today…

GBJambo
6 minutes ago, PortyBeach said:

People talk about a potential challenge for the League title, but the reality is potential champions don’t lose games to potential relegation candidates - assuming they’re realistic challengers. 
Dire stuff today…

Yes we are never challenging for the title that’s the reality 

bobskeldon
2 hours ago, henryheart said:

The harsh reality is that it is. If we had won today more than 90% of the negative comments on here tonight would not be getting posted. Is it one of the best teams since 1967? There have been a few that I have enjoyed watching more and we have had some better players, but on the other hand I remember telling Bobby Moncur when he was manager that we were not looking for much, just Premier League security and to be as good as the likes of St Mirren and Morton. He bumbled a response that I cannot remember but the look in his eyes said 'no chance'. At that time I was just wishing that we could win some games but he was right. Supporting Hearts is about ups and downs and we should be enjoying our run of results rather than looking to pick holes. I can hear the response now - times have moved on blaa blaa blaa, but they have not; recent history shows that we are as vulnerable as the next club to the possibility of relegation. These are good times, but some people will never be happy and have totally unrealistic expectations. 

We are the third biggest club in Scotland using most of not all metrics. Are you saying that finishing third by playing good football is a totally unrealistic expectation? Really? I expect us to source the best players available to us, I expect to appoint someone who can coach/manage/ improve these players AND have us finishing third every year because he has us playing better football than anyone from 4th downwards. Given our size, I don’t think that’s expecting too much, you obviously do! 

bobskeldon
32 minutes ago, Luckies1874 said:

Correct, we are a very ordinary side. I can’t remember the last time I left a game home or away this season thinking “we were really good today”.

I have left most matches this season pleased with getting points but so disappointed with the performance!

My worry is that I am not sure what SN wants us to be like! 

hearts00

Right back, another CH (as Halkett should be erased from all conversations about the squad) a good CM and 2 strikers will be required if we are to kick on. 

Malinga the Swinga
3 hours ago, Nessjambo67 said:

Thought the ref just gave a pen v Celtic no var ?  But I hear you every team goes through a run of dubious decisions in the lottery that is Var 

I don't give a **** about any other team. We have been screwed on VAR and the decision to book Shankland instead of giving a penalty was ludicrous.

So was the decision by BBC not to include on highlights although it got a 2 second mention afterwards.

davemclaren
1 minute ago, hearts00 said:

Right back, another CH (as Halkett should be erased from all conversations about the squad) a good CM and 2 strikers will be required if we are to kick on. 

I agree re right back but, as Halkett has another year on his contract, he will be in the frame if fit. 

Malinga the Swinga

Today's performance bad but nowhere near meriting the pant wetting from those who have been desperate to see us lose.

Drylaw Hearts
11 minutes ago, Luckies1874 said:

We’ve been grinding out results for months…..and rarely looked a team that could win convincingly.

Any negative result cannot be considered a shock imo………we just aren’t all that great and our good/brilliant performances are few and far between.

KyleLafferty
Just now, Drylaw Hearts said:

We’ve been grinding out results for months…..and rarely looked a team that could win convincingly.

Any negative result cannot be considered a shock imo………we just aren’t all that great and our good/brilliant performances are few and far between.

If you go on scoreline it looks like a grind. However we dominate the majority of our games outside the old firm. Usually when we concede it’s our poor defending. Could do with it clicking more in the final third.

Luckies1874
2 minutes ago, Drylaw Hearts said:

12 minutes ago, bobskeldon said:

Correct, we are a very ordinary side. I can’t remember the last time I left a game home or away this season thinking “we were really good today”.

I have left most matches this season pleased with getting points but so disappointed with the performance!

My worry is that I am not sure what SN wants us to be like! 

Both entirely correct.

It's been a good season results wise and the objective will be comfortably met in finishing 3rd which is great news. Two semi-finals also deserves praise. However we aren't a good side by any means and there is a lot of work to be done in bringing in better players if there is any ambition to become one. 

Edited by Luckies1874

hearts00
21 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

I agree re right back but, as Halkett has another year on his contract, he will be in the frame if fit. 

Halkett has player 9 games in 2.5 seasons as we wont see him again this season. 2.5 frickin seasons. I’m done with him I’m afraid. 

Pasquale for King
14 minutes ago, Luckies1874 said:

Both entirely correct.

It's been a good season results wise and the objective will be comfortably met in finishing 3rd which is great news. Two semi-finals also deserves praise. However we aren't a good side by any means and there is a lot of work to be done in bringing in better players if there is any ambition to become one. 

Spot on guys 

Pasquale for King
1 minute ago, hearts00 said:

Halkett has player 9 games in 2.5 seasons as we wont see him again this season. 2.5 frickin seasons. I’m done with him I’m afraid. 

Have to agree, clearly doesn’t have a good diet either as when hes not training he puts a lot of weight on, the exact time when you need to be healthy. 

davemclaren
4 minutes ago, hearts00 said:

That's your choice. It might not be the manager's choice though. 😎

Pasquale for King

Hardly anyone played well today, the farcical goal chalked off and get the penalty and we walk away happy, even though we’ve made the 2nd worst team in the league look great again. 

Pasquale for King
Just now, davemclaren said:

That's your choice. It might not be the manager's choice though. 😎

You believe the manager thinks he can rely on him 🤪?

We are truly fkd if Forrest/Devlin/Hoff/ Dexter/Atkinson/Cochrane are what this team are to built around.

Squad players at best if we want to put in more of a challenge.

2 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Hardly anyone played well today, the farcical goal chalked off and get the penalty and we walk away happy, even though we’ve made the 2nd worst team in the league look great again. 

“And we walk away papering over huge cracks” is how I would put it.

We played no worse/no better than we have done for majority of season, luck went against us today.

Fozzyonthefence
4 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

I’d forgotten that’s twice in a row we’ve gone 2-0 down to them and just scraped the one point.  These pish first halves are really doing my head in. 

Fozzyonthefence
2 minutes ago, Gambo said:

We played no worse/no better than we have done for majority of season, luck went against us today.

Not turning up in the first half week in week out just isn’t sustainable.  

Fozzyonthefence
6 minutes ago, Gambo said:

We are truly fkd if Forrest/Devlin/Hoff/ Dexter/Atkinson/Cochrane are what this team are to built around.

Hoff is currently our best midfielder and Forrest is our best winger.  Them and Devlin are the least of our problems. 

Hectormasson
9 minutes ago, Gambo said:

totally agree gambo, we need to somehow invest to put in a long term challenge, these guys prob, stop gap at best, 

WeeWillyWinky

Looked to me like too many players with one eye on international duty. 
Having Internationals in your team should never be a negative but today our keys players lacked a bit of bite. 

Aussie Jambo

So after watching the rerun of the full game this morning I was waiting for SPFL to put up its cut to **** highlights as I knew they love to doctor any ref errors. Low and behold the penalty claim has been cut out of the highlights.. I wonder why eh? 🤔

Unbelievable. 

10 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Not turning up in the first half week in week out just isn’t sustainable.  

But acceptable to some 😳

davemclaren
19 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

You believe the manager thinks he can rely on him 🤪?

We'll find out soon enough. 

10 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Hoff is currently our best midfielder and Forrest is our best winger.  Them and Devlin are the least of our problems. 

They are major problems. Wins have covered them up. Some even covered them up after a 5-1 tanking and a no show in a home derby.

Pasquale for King
20 minutes ago, Gambo said:

Our luck ran out perhaps, the Captain had a stinker unfortunately. 

Pasquale for King
19 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

I’d forgotten that’s twice in a row we’ve gone 2-0 down to them and just scraped the one point.  These pish first halves are really doing my head in. 

Absolutely, not just a problem that has happened this season though. Whatever they do to get prepared for a game needs tweaked somehow, starting with the correct players playing the right formation and tactics would also help obviously. 

heartsfc_fan
26 minutes ago, Gambo said:

Not sure what Hoff has done to be mentioned in that lot

Atkinson yes, we all agree that. Dexter will be away at the end of the season.

Cochrane and Devlin are decent squad players and I'd be confident next season we'll have proper replacements.

Shooter McGavin

Why do folk never voice their concerns about the squad when we’re on a good run?

Always 1 loss away from the usual p***, squad needs ripped up, half a dozen players suddenly not good enough etc.

So tedious.

Fozzyonthefence
1 hour ago, PortyBeach said:

Dire stuff today…

Not true.  The team top of the league has lost at home to two relegation candidates this season as well as equalise in the last minute away to one of them too. The team 2nd top has also dropped points against relegation candidates this season.  

We will never challenge for the league again in my lifetime though, I’m resigned to that.  Blew our chances in 86 and 98, we won’t get another one before I’m pushing daisies up so hopefully there will be another 2 or 3 cup final parades in Gorgie before then.🙏 

Gundermann
1 minute ago, Shooter McGavin said:

Why do folk never voice their concerns about the squad when we’re on a good run?

Always 1 loss away from the usual p***, squad needs ripped up, half a dozen players suddenly not good enough etc.

So tedious.

Quite a few of the recent displays have been mediocre. We've underperformed woefully for the first half and then got back on track in the second, as with RC at home and Dundee. We were rotten against Hibs too but got a decent win against Celtic. This defeat has been coming as it was last year. That probably won't happen but if we're to get third place and stay there for more than one season then we patently have some deadwood to lose. Sibbick has had his chance. Others only turn up now and then. Not good enough if we're to progress.

Paul Shark
26 minutes ago, Gambo said:

I was highly sceptical about Nieuwenhof at first but he looks as if he might have something to offer with the right people in beside him. Your bang on about the others though. Real mistake playing Cochrane in the middle of the park today, Vargas can't play wide right and Sibbick can't play 3 games without ****ing something up. 

Fozzyonthefence
2 minutes ago, Shooter McGavin said:

So tedious.

To be fair, they do,  I certainly have only to get told by the experts that the likes of Atkinson and Rowles will make us millions!  

The squad doesn’t need ripped up but there’s certainly at least half a dozen players not good enough. 

bobskeldon
30 minutes ago, Gambo said:

Spot on! That’s not being negative as many on here will ‘label’ you, it’s the reality! 

7 minutes ago, heartsfc_fan said:

Not sure what Hoff has done to be mentioned in that lot

Atkinson yes, we all agree that. Dexter will be away at the end of the season.

Cochrane and Devlin are decent squad players and I'd be confident next season we'll have proper replacements.

Hoff Celtic game aside had been over rated imo. Reminds me of an early Devlin where everyone raved about him as he run about but soon learned there was not a lot on offer. Hoff and Devlin are young enough to learn and improve but are vastly overrated right now imo.

bobskeldon
18 minutes ago, Gambo said:

But acceptable to some 😳

Seems acceptable to many, don’t you know we are third? Says more about the rest than it does about us!