*** Official Ross County Vs Heart of Midlothian match day thread

Bongo 1874

Hearts_fan

Players can stand where they want when the ball is not in play. 

Clearly Shanks was trying to make it difficult for the goalie while the ball was not yet in play, which he is perfectly entitled to do.

When the ball is about to be kicked by Kingsley, to me at least, it looks like Shankland has already moved to the side to give the goalkeeper a split second to see the ball and was therefore not blocking the goalkeeper’s view during play

I felt it was perfectly executed by both Kingsley and Shankland.

Shame the officials didn’t think this through properly.

Edit, I only saw two replays, so if others think opposite and have seen it in more detail, then I’ll need to see it again. Seemed a legit goal when I saw it though.  

Edited by Hearts_fan

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hearts007

• Dallas Green

• Boris5115

• Luckies1874

Hmfc1965
1 hour ago, KyleLafferty said:

They scored with their only 2 chances due to our terrible defending. Should have a pen and Shankland gave VAR every chance to disallow the freekick. Bad day at the office that will be forgotten about when we beat killie.

You mean apart from the open goal they missed?

henryheart
1 minute ago, Guffers said:

Ah man.. it's not that black and white though is it ? Is this one of the the best teams you can remember since 1967 ? Ffs.. 

The harsh reality is that it is. If we had won today more than 90% of the negative comments on here tonight would not be getting posted. Is it one of the best teams since 1967? There have been a few that I have enjoyed watching more and we have had some better players, but on the other hand I remember telling Bobby Moncur when he was manager that we were not looking for much, just Premier League security and to be as good as the likes of St Mirren and Morton. He bumbled a response that I cannot remember but the look in his eyes said 'no chance'. At that time I was just wishing that we could win some games but he was right. Supporting Hearts is about ups and downs and we should be enjoying our run of results rather than looking to pick holes. I can hear the response now - times have moved on blaa blaa blaa, but they have not; recent history shows that we are as vulnerable as the next club to the possibility of relegation. These are good times, but some people will never be happy and have totally unrealistic expectations. 

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Robbie that signed him too.

Yip, not every player works out.

I know this tho, Bob signed some shite but also signed the likes of Shankland, Clarke, Gordon,  Kingsley, Cochrane, Beni -Most of this team will have been signed by our previous manager as Naismith has only has one summer.

Every manager will sign good players and ones that don't work out?

That is not news to me.

You should know this, giving you failed to make the grade at Hearts, who signed you?

Also, Giving  your stance on Sibbick, are you praising Bob  for signing him as you think he's a good player?

You might be losing  track of your own point, whatever it is?

KyleLafferty
6 minutes ago, Hearts_fan said:

Clearly Shanks was trying to make it difficult for the goalie while the ball was not yet in play, which he is perfectly entitled to do.

When the ball is about to be kicked by Kingsley, to me at least, it looks like Shankland has already moved to the side to give the goalkeeper a split second to see the ball and was therefore not blocking the goalkeeper’s view during play

I actually think the angle they use isn’t acceptable. They can’t actually tell that he’s blocked the keepers view. They would need a camera angle behind the keeper. Therefore VAR should be saying there isn’t enough evidence, they can’t actually prove Shankland  is in the way.

KyleLafferty
2 minutes ago, Hmfc1965 said:

You mean apart from the open goal they missed?

Okay then, 3 😁

Bazzas right boot
7 minutes ago, Hearts_fan said:

Edit, I only saw two replays, so if others think opposite and have seen it in more detail, then I’ll need to see it again. Seemed a legit goal when I saw it though.  

You can't, for example at a free kick you couldn't stand a inch in  front of the gk without it being offside.

If he's not trying to block the view or Influence play, why is he doing it?

The answer is, because he is trying to put the gk of from a offside position, therefore it's offside.

Edited by Bazzas right boot

Jambof3tornado
21 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Thanks. Fair enough, will catch it on the highlights. 

I think because the keeper moves his body to look round shankland just as the ball is struck but its bloody close timing wise.

GinRummy
Just now, Jambof3tornado said:

I think because the keeper moves his body to look round shankland just as the ball is struck but its bloody close timing wise.

That’s how I saw it but Shankland moved before Kingsley hit the ball but itvhaapened really fast so you knight be right. 

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, ShedBoy said:

I’ll go with my reasoning today Baz 👍🏻

I'm seeing a lot of white flags being unfurled a momth before the sf and a lot of pants being filled another 3rd place.

Imagine,  if the fight for 3rd was close, Imagine the state of some!

boag1874
1 hour ago, Jim_Duncan said:

See where you’re coming from but we’ve largely seen Naismith learn from his mistakes this season rather than double down on them which Neilson was doing last season. Hopefully a few tweaks and some personnel decisions made after today’s guff. 

I’d say as well last season we flattered to deceive more than this year. I was taken in by it too in our purple patch, putting 3 past hibs 2x on top of 5 past Aberdeen will do that. Looking back though in reality those games told a different story than the final score and we didn’t really look particularly dominant in them, we just put away our chances, in reality those games could have ended very differently. See also the 3-0 away to Motherwell amongst other games.

This season the scorelines haven’t been as impressive but despite not being swashbuckling I can’t really think of many games we’ve won where I go “we got really lucky there”, even the 2 games vs Dundee we were the better side and if the game was longer we probably score another 2 or 3 on top of the goals we did score.

Even today, this might not be popular but at least a draw would probably have been a fair result. Now, we weren’t “unlucky” as such and I’m not saying we didn’t deserve to lose but it was a game of fine margins that we ended up on the wrong side of ultimately. We were all over County for much of the game and created most of the chances, their goals came against the run of play. Sadly that’s a risk when you don’t make the most of your attacking play. It’s a sore one and a check to our ego but it’s not ringing the same alarm bells as the absolute howlers v Motherwell, Killie, Aberdeen & St Mirren we had this time last year.

KyleLafferty
2 minutes ago, boag1874 said:

I’d say as well last season we flattered to deceive more than this year. I was taken in by it too in our purple patch, putting 3 past hibs 2x on top of 5 past Aberdeen will do that. Looking back though in reality those games told a different story than the final score and we didn’t really look particularly dominant in them, we just put away our chances, in reality those games could have ended very differently. See also the 3-0 away to Motherwell amongst other games.

This season the scorelines haven’t been as impressive but despite not being swashbuckling I can’t really think of many games we’ve won where I go “we got really lucky there”, even the 2 games vs Dundee we were the better side and if the game was longer we probably score another 2 or 3 on top of the goals we did score.

Even today, this might not be popular but at least a draw would probably have been a fair result. Now, we weren’t “unlucky” as such and I’m not saying we didn’t deserve to lose but it was a game of fine margins that we ended up on the wrong side of ultimately. We were all over County for much of the game and created most of the chances, their goals came against the run of play. Sadly that’s a risk when you don’t make the most of your attacking play. It’s a sore one and a check to our ego but it’s not ringing the same alarm bells as the absolute howlers v Motherwell, Killie, Aberdeen & St Mirren we had this time last year.

Bang on the money. We control games a lot better these days and can keep constant pressure on teams. Only thing today proves in certain players can’t be trusted when called upon for more than one game. But that’s fine, a club like Hearts can’t have 16/18 players that are first team standard, always gonna have players who aren’t up to it for a long period.

Huge game next week , a win is a must . Killie have the slightly easier run to the split 

Armageddon
2 hours ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Well done Borthwick giving @Laurieboth barrels over the Shankland nonsense.

I like Laurie, but he talks complete shite at times

Luckies1874
3 minutes ago, fila said:

Huge game next week , a win is a must . Killie have the slightly easier run to the split 

Fortnight.

Should have Kent, Hoff and McKay back in squad. 

Gow Maroon

Slow,  ponderous football. Side to side passing, hardly any decent forward passes. 15 corners,nothing productive from them. Did they expect,  to just turn up and take the 3 points. The players once again, letting the club and fans down. At least half of them, not fit to wear a Hearts Jersey. I sincerely hope Naismith, gave them a good hard boot up the erse and a right bollocking.

KyleLafferty
Just now, Gow Maroon said:

Slow,  ponderous football. Side to side passing, hardly any decent forward passes. 15 corners,nothing productive from them. Did they expect,  to just turn up and take the 3 points. The players once again, letting the club and fans down. At least half of them, not fit to wear a Hearts Jersey. I sincerely hope Naismith, gave them a good hard boot up the erse and a right bollocking.

See you haven’t posted since December 😁

Gow Maroon
Just now, KyleLafferty said:

Yes,l don't post very often,perhaps l should in the future. When l performances like today, it makes my blood boil

Tommy Brown
52 minutes ago, Felix Lighter said:

Sorry, should've ended last sentence with a ?

Was making the point that the rules are all over the place. 

I think Shanks timed it. Ruling it out was very harsh, but not surprising from the likes of Beaton. 

good points

I think he move just before the kick was taken. IMO legitimate goal.

Will the refs ever tell us it was offside because he was deliberately blocking his view before Kingsley played the ball? doubt it.

Klarufacashun required

WageThief
1 minute ago, Gow Maroon said:

Yes,l don't post very often,perhaps l should in the future. When l performances like today, it makes my blood boil

Do you still agree that Shankland is a "waste of space" and should be "out the door" per your silly wee rant in October?

image.thumb.png.f55dcc760423496d1b7c97a1ee84709a.png

luckyBatistuta
5 minutes ago, KyleLafferty said:

Only 25 posts and most moaning about the performances, players and manager, even saying Shankland should be gone🤔

10 minutes ago, Luckies1874 said:

Fortnight.

Should have Kent, Hoff and McKay back in squad. 

Yes, all three required. I am looking forward to having a fit McKay back, we lack his ability to create out of nothing 

King prawn
1 minute ago, WageThief said:

Do you still agree that Shankland is a "waste of space" and should be "out the door" per your silly wee rant in October?

image.thumb.png.f55dcc760423496d1b7c97a1ee84709a.png

:sweeet:

vegas-voss

Wake up call really that the job ain't done yet.I don't get the change in midfield in  recent games to make it very defensive minded ( well maybe lack of creativity is a better phrase ) either.

Hearts1975
1 hour ago, Hearts007 said:

because he moved away before ball was kicked

Therefore he wasn't interfering with the run of play.

Correct.

No different in open play if he went to get involved, but pulled back, if still in an offside position.

Both times, goal should stand. 

Wee Mikey
6 hours ago, Wee Mikey said:

I have a funny feeling that Livi are going to do a job on h1b5 today.

A Motherwell win v Aberdeen is not out of the question and, you never know, Levein might, just might, conjure up some sort of miracle.

All I really care about is us looking after our own business, but my fantasy 3 results would work wonders for the bottom 6 scenario.

Does anybody want my predictions for the Euro lottery?

🤣

GinRummy
1 minute ago, vegas-voss said:

Wake up call really that the job ain't done yet.I don't get the change in midfield in  recent games to make it very defensive minded ( well maybe lack of creativity is a better phrase ) either.

Surely the change is because Fraser and Grant have been awful. Not saying the change has worked but an example would be Grants performance against Morton, which was terrible. 

Shaggy2

No convinced about offside. 100% convinced that TWO goalies ain’t saving it. Luckily they ditched this advantage to the attacking side idea. 

F9B042BD-6070-43DF-A0FF-F04996C02158.jpeg

Hearts1975

We didn't play well today. We didn't match their energy at the start of the game.

Just a wee reminder that although we are still in a very very good position, we shouldn't be taking anything for granted. 

Off days will happen. Back into it in a few weeks time. 

There's a lack of drive when the Hoff isn't playing, he drags the ball and splits defensive midfield lines as he does so, we are really missing him.

Grant seems to be more dynamic if he is a sub, he helped us get control in the second-half but the second goal was killer thanks to that shocking free-kick decision.

I expect that Naismith has to have identified the lack of quality in our set-pieces, something Dhanda can hopefully help with next season.

DesertDawg
1 minute ago, Gizmo said:

There's a lack of drive when the Hoff isn't playing, he drags the ball and splits defensive midfield lines as he does so, we are really missing him.

👍

Luckies1874
2 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Surely the change is because Fraser and Grant have been awful. Not saying the change has worked but an example would be Grants performance against Morton, which was terrible. 

Spot on. Players have been given numerous chances. None in that area have been good enough to grasp it and claim the place. Lowry sent packing, Grant largely hopeless, Fraser a complete waste of time so far, Boyce always injured. Add in Oda’s total inconsistency and availability, the disastrous season McKay has had with fitness and a lack of any attacking youngsters and you can see why our play in the final 3rd has been so mediocre leading to half the league having scored more than us. Little wonder Forrest has played way more minutes than anyone could have imagined. 

We desperately need a very strong summer in terms of midfield and wide player recruitment. 

Hearts007

4th official told Naismith the keeper had to lean to see round shanks at the freekick

ArcticJambo
1 minute ago, Hearts007 said:

4th official told Naismith the keeper had to lean to see round shanks at the freekick

I pretty much this, and while I no doubt believe the keeper could see the ball all the time, VAR, ***** that they are are always goning to call that, I'm afraid.

Hearts007
Just now, ArcticJambo said:

I pretty much this, and while I no doubt believe the keeper could see the ball all the time, VAR, ***** that they are are always goning to call that, I'm afraid.

Yup

ShedBoy
1 hour ago, Bazzas right boot said:

I'm seeing a lot of white flags being unfurled a momth before the sf and a lot of pants being filled another 3rd place.

Imagine,  if the fight for 3rd was close, Imagine the state of some!

Would you consider it a close fight if Killie beat us next game? 

tiger Rudi
19 minutes ago, Luckies1874 said:

Spot on. Players have been given numerous chances. None in that area have been good enough to grasp it and claim the place. Lowry sent packing, Grant largely hopeless, Fraser a complete waste of time so far, Boyce always injured. Add in Oda’s total inconsistency and availability, the disastrous season McKay has had with fitness and a lack of any attacking youngsters and you can see why our play in the final 3rd has been so mediocre leading to half the league having scored more than us. Little wonder Forrest has played way more minutes than anyone could have imagined. 

We desperately need a very strong summer in terms of midfield and wide player recruitment. 

For me we need someone like Armstrong. Not enough horrible little ***** in our squad. He's also got ability. Can deliver a ball and has a decent goals/assists record over more than just this season. Yes he will cost money, but we really can't keep turning away from experienced established players like him, in the hope we get a cheap bargain that will take minimum 6 months to deliver. A little bit of investment in the squad this summer in a few positions, would see us really establish ourselves as favourites for 3rd for the foreseeable. 

Dhanda will provide, but I would also like some more steel in midfield and another Kent-like CB. A right back too. A proper one. 

vegas-voss
42 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

He was but then if you want a more natural replacement for Grant why not give young Pollock a chance.Agree Fraser has done nothing to warrant a game or even Tait as he offers something different to the others in midfield 

Edited by vegas-voss

23 minutes ago, Hearts007 said:

He had to see the run up around Shankland, not the actual free kick

Pasquale for King
43 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

Probably trying to protect the back line with Rowles and Toby in there, both shouldn’t play in this type of game as they made Murray look like Mbappe today. 

No Idle Talk

The match versus Kilmarnock suddenly became a lot more important. Lose that one and it's very much game on in the race for third. 

I'm just putting today down to a bad day at the office. It is evident though just how important Frankie Kent and Hof have become to the team. A defence with Atkinson, Sibbick, and Rowles, in it is no defence at all. And the midfield was missing something without Hof.

For once the International break has come at a good time for us. 

Pans Jambo

We were shit. Thats about the size of it. 

NEXT!!!

Pasquale for King
3 minutes ago, No Idle Talk said:

The match versus Kilmarnock suddenly became a lot more important. Lose that one and it's very much game on in the race for third. 

I'm just putting today down to a bad day at the office. It is evident though just how important Frankie Kent and Hof have become to the team. A defence with Atkinson, Sibbick, and Rowles, in it is no defence at all. And the midfield was missing something without Hof.

For once the International break has come at a good time for us. 

Spot on 

McNelly15
3 hours ago, Luckies1874 said:

That's actually a pretty crazy stat. Says everything about how poor the attacking options are and especially the total lack of ability throughout our midfield.

Definitely.  Seems like those teams can have goals spread out within the team... none really have a proper striker like ourselves. Needs addressed for sure 

Don Dan

Highlights clearly show Shankland was fouled and it should have been a penalty.

Disallowed goal not sure what the laws are but Shankland moved before the ball as kicked. Sibbick school boy error cost us a goal. Hey Ho otherwise we were never at the races. 

Drylaw Hearts

Not exactly a surprise result.

We are so short of quality attacking options it’s not far off a miracle where we are in the league.

Don Dan
43 minutes ago, Hearts007 said:

Let’s forget about the wall in front of Shankland that the keeper no doubt lined up! 
My memory tells me we lost a goal from a free kick in an similar position against Celtic a few years ago where a player (The Thumb I think) blocks Gordon’s line of sight but the goal was given. 

Edited by Don Dan
Clarification

8skacel8
2 minutes ago, Drylaw Hearts said:

Not exactly a surprise result.

We are so short of quality attacking options it’s not far off a miracle where we are in the league.

What a load of nonsense.

Drylaw Hearts
1 minute ago, 8skacel8 said:

What a load of nonsense.

Not really.