Performance v Spend: Who gets the most out of their annual budget?

Gizmo

Ok, warning bit of a nerdy post but I think this is long overdue. Particularly as we see the pathetic, craven and sycophantic comparison of budgets when the old firm are rogered senseless in Europe, but nary a ****ing mention of it domestically where their budget advantage is a far, far larger gap. It's just for fun but also, it's a nice reminder of how a well constructed team and squad, with a good manager can make a big difference. 

I'm going to keep adding to this - and I am happy to dial in budgets from whatever are the best sources.

Disclaimer #1: For now I've used this site as the base for annual team salary budgets, though I am sure it is not entirely accurate it's a starting point: https://www.capology.com/uk/scottish-premiership/payrolls/

Disclaimer #2: These are just numbers and cannot and will not take into account any other factors such as rivalries, hoodoos, flukes, refereeing influence or other factors like us supporting our team better than a relatively equally budgeted rival, better training facilities, access to sports data & medicine etc. It also doesn't factor in some clubs having larger squads or buying players for Euro campaigns or to sell-on, or spending because you are richer than clubs below etc.

It's raw data and nothing else - so it is flawed and just shared as a talking point.

Got a bit of work to parse all the results from the season so far into my script and if it's of any interest to anyone, I can parse more data in, however, I have used these budgets to get a value per goal calculation. 

This season so far:

Value for money / goal scored

Motherwell:        19.44 goals per £1 million budget
Dundee:             13.33 goals per £1 million budget
St Mirren:           13.19 goals per £1 million budget
Kilmarnock:       12.40 goals per £1 million budget
Ross County:     11.65 goals per £1 million budget
St Johnstone:      9.19 goals per £1 million budget
Hearts:                8.54 goals per £1 million budget
Aberdeen:           8.16 goals per £1 million budget
Livingston:          6.67 goals per £1 million budget
Hibernian:           6.47 goals per £1 million budget
Celtic:                 2.90 goals per £1 million budget
Rangers:             1.97 goals per £1 million budget

If there is genuine interest in this type of data analysis, once the data is in we could perform myriad calculations so you could compare say Shankland per Boyle on value per goal, or limit calculations to the first 11 which I think would be more meaningful.

I also want to do a calculation - which is my main point really - to see what results should look like given the capability of each respective squad, ie which teams are over-achieving and under-achieving. Initially on spend because it is easier to quantify, but you could probably feed xG and other modern player performance data in if you wanted to be really geeky. 

However, even as just one way of looking at the data - and I'm still not convinced Celtic's budget is £10 million per annum less than Rangers, but still, it's interesting eh?

davemclaren

All it shows is that the marginal rate of return decreases the more you spend, generally. 😄

4 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

All it shows is that the marginal rate of return decreases the more you spend, generally. 😄

I was going to update this post, if it was popular, with a first-XI calculation. 

However, your summary doesn't fully align with the data when you look at the budgets (again disclaimer as to veracity):

Rangers: £31 million
Celtic: £20 million
Hearts: £4.1 million
Hibernian: £5.1 million
Aberdeen: £3.8 million
St Mirren: £2.35 million
Kilmarnock: £2.5 million
Livingston: £2.7 million
Dundee: £2.7 million
Motherwell: £1.8 million
Ross County: £1.975 million
St Johnstone: £1.85 million

Motherwell gets significant value from the smallest spend. I'd say over the years as a club they have punched higher than their budget more often than not. 

Edited by Gizmo

Sub4TiddlerMurray
5 hours ago, Gizmo said:

I was going to update this post, if it was popular, with a first-XI calculation. 

However, your summary doesn't fully align with the data when you look at the budgets (again disclaimer as to veracity):

Rangers: £31 million
Celtic: £20 million
Hearts: £4.1 million
Hibernian: £5.1 million
Aberdeen: £3.8 million
St Mirren: £2.35 million
Kilmarnock: £2.5 million
Livingston: £2.7 million
Dundee: £2.7 million
Motherwell: £1.8 million
Ross County: £1.975 million
St Johnstone: £1.85 million

Motherwell gets significant value from the smallest spend. I'd say over the years as a club they have punched higher than their budget more often than not. 

I like how you have Hearts above Hibs, but surely they haven’t spent £5.1m

image.jpeg.274d1f6aec6ec47d979491cdda6f252f.jpeg

29 minutes ago, Sub4TiddlerMurray said:

I like how you have Hearts above Hibs, but surely they haven’t spent £5.1m

image.jpeg.274d1f6aec6ec47d979491cdda6f252f.jpeg

:laugh2: Never noticed.

Tbf, the veracity of the annual squad spending needs to be confirmed. Happy to add different sources if there are any. 

Pasquale for King
9 hours ago, Gizmo said:

Ok, warning bit of a nerdy post but I think this is long overdue. Particularly as we see the pathetic, craven and sycophantic comparison of budgets when the old firm are rogered senseless in Europe, but nary a ****ing mention of it domestically where their budget advantage is a far, far larger gap. It's just for fun but also, it's a nice reminder of how a well constructed team and squad, with a good manager can make a big difference. 

I'm going to keep adding to this - and I am happy to dial in budgets from whatever are the best sources.

Disclaimer #1: For now I've used this site as the base for annual team salary budgets, though I am sure it is not entirely accurate it's a starting point: https://www.capology.com/uk/scottish-premiership/payrolls/

Disclaimer #2: These are just numbers and cannot and will not take into account any other factors such as rivalries, hoodoos, flukes, refereeing influence or other factors like us supporting our team better than a relatively equally budgeted rival, better training facilities, access to sports data & medicine etc. It also doesn't factor in some clubs having larger squads or buying players for Euro campaigns or to sell-on, or spending because you are richer than clubs below etc.

It's raw data and nothing else - so it is flawed and just shared as a talking point.

Got a bit of work to parse all the results from the season so far into my script and if it's of any interest to anyone, I can parse more data in, however, I have used these budgets to get a value per goal calculation. 

This season so far:

Value for money / goal scored

Motherwell:        19.44 goals per £1 million budget
Dundee:             13.33 goals per £1 million budget
St Mirren:           13.19 goals per £1 million budget
Kilmarnock:       12.40 goals per £1 million budget
Ross County:     11.65 goals per £1 million budget
St Johnstone:      9.19 goals per £1 million budget
Hearts:                8.54 goals per £1 million budget
Aberdeen:           8.16 goals per £1 million budget
Livingston:          6.67 goals per £1 million budget
Hibernian:           6.47 goals per £1 million budget
Celtic:                 2.90 goals per £1 million budget
Rangers:             1.97 goals per £1 million budget

If there is genuine interest in this type of data analysis, once the data is in we could perform myriad calculations so you could compare say Shankland per Boyle on value per goal, or limit calculations to the first 11 which I think would be more meaningful.

I also want to do a calculation - which is my main point really - to see what results should look like given the capability of each respective squad, ie which teams are over-achieving and under-achieving. Initially on spend because it is easier to quantify, but you could probably feed xG and other modern player performance data in if you wanted to be really geeky. 

However, even as just one way of looking at the data - and I'm still not convinced Celtic's budget is £10 million per annum less than Rangers, but still, it's interesting eh?

Motherwell doing great again, find decent players, get the best out them, sell them all while bringing through youngsters too.