Weekly or monthly pay poke.

Angel eyes

Angel eyes

It’s near end of the month and Tesco is heavin so it must be pay day, I’ve never worked a monthly pay what ever I’ve done job wise  it’s been a weekly pay so I’ve always managed to budget on a weekly basis……but my current employer is thinking about introducing monthly payments as he says it’s “cheaper” for them to work …….which is the better option ? Or no difference 

BlueRiver

I've always had a monthly pay so can't compare. 

I do know a lot of folk though that moved from weekly to monthly and after an initial adjustment period they prefer it. Find it a lot easier to budget with and manage their finances. 

Hannibal Lecter

Was paid weekly in my first job many moons ago and they moved to monthly and any job I have had since has been monthly.

Find budgeting and dealing with bills much easier on a monthly basis as you know you have x coming in each month and y going out on bills whereas weekly you have different things going out from week to week. Least on a monthly you know that all your bills will be coming out that pay packet if that makes sense.

Monthly makes paying the big bills easier, as those tend to be on a monthly basis.  

Monthly also helps you budget better, without more cash coming in every Friday you have to learn to spread it out over a full month.

Monthly also makes savings easier. Stick a wedge in a savings account/ISA/whatever on pay day then budget for bills and the rest of the month.

Prefer monthly. My last contract was 4 weekly, which I hated.

New contract will be paid weekly. Not been paid weekly for about 30 years. 

53 minutes ago, BudgeUp said:

Monthly pay ia better for bills. 

Weekly is better for living life.

Fair comment.

17 minutes ago, William H. Bonney said:

4 weekly. 

Really?  Every two weeks for me.  Seems odd, but apparently there are a couple of hundred thousand people in Ireland who are paid that way.  It seems to me that 4 weekly would have all of the disadvantages of being paid monthly, and none of the advantages.

PortyJambo

Done both, and weekly is better. Always felt like I was waiting for payday when monthly, whereas weekly is easier to deal with...as long as you know you have to keep some back for those monthly bills!

I was always weekly and hated the idea of monthly as I can be a bit useless with cash and reckoned I’d probably go daft when I saw the big figure going into my account. Then we were all made monthly a couple of years ago and it turns out I’ve been wrong all these years. 

Doctor FinnBarr
32 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

Fair comment.

Really?  Every two weeks for me.  Seems odd, but apparently there are a couple of hundred thousand people in Ireland who are paid that way.  It seems to me that 4 weekly would have all of the disadvantages of being paid monthly, and none of the advantages.

4 weekly means 13 pay days per year, I can live with it. 

6 minutes ago, Doctor FinnBarr said:

4 weekly means 13 pay days per year, I can live with it. 

2-weekly means 26 a year, which means there's a "bonus" payday every six months.

Bull's-eye

Im self employed and the wife does my bookkeeping so i haven't been paid for about 20 years.

True story  😳

magic roundabout

Best of both worlds... I'm monthly, missus is weekly.  However, monthly is probably better.

Greedy Jambo

Weekly is better for me, i'd just end up buying guitars n shit if i was monthly, then i'd spend the rest of the month living in hell until i got paid again. 

The whole monthly bill thing is a lot of bollocks as well, you can get your bills changed to weekly, and i would suggest that you cancel as many direct debits as possible, pay when you can, not when they want you to, especially with energy bills. 

Don't piss about with council tax though, direct debit every friday. 

Edited by Greedy Jambo

2 hours ago, Ulysses said:

Fair comment.

13 pays / year - so if all your direct debits are monthly it’s like one ‘freebie’ pay a year.  My OH is paid 4 weekly and it’s pretty good.

Edit:  just seen previous posts.  I still reckon it’s good - one month a year you get double pay.

It’s like the old trick of opening your (weekly)  pay packet one day  later every week so that every seven weeks you got ‘double’ pay.

Edited by FWJ

henrysmithsgloves

Preferred weekly pay,if you were skint it was only for a couple days,four weekly was ok, monthly I always found a right pain ,was between Xmas and end of January trying to budget 

6 minutes ago, FWJ said:

13 pays / year - so if all your direct debits are monthly it’s like one ‘freebie’ pay a year.  My OH is paid 4 weekly and it’s pretty good.

Yes, but do the pay days not shift a bit out of line with your debits?

I knew a fella (retired years ago) who used to be paid on the 1st and 15th of every month, as in 24 times a year.

4 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

Yes, but do the pay days not shift a bit out of line with your debits?

I knew a fella (retired years ago) who used to be paid on the 1st and 15th of every month, as in 24 times a year.

If your DDs are on different dates and not all just all on the 1st or 20th or whatever then you don’t really notice.  

Have to say I’ve never heard of fortnight/pay.

Edited by FWJ

henrysmithsgloves

I get my pension four weekly,all my direct debits are due on the sixteenth , just make sure there's cash to pay them 

crunchy frog

Last working day of the month for this cat, its shite, makes every month feel like a 5 weeker.

John Findlay

When I first left school I was paid weekly.

Then I started the job that tips a certain poster over the edge, and for my first year was paid fortnightly. Then I got the option to go monthly, this was away back in 1980.

Since then I have always been paid monthly. 

With IBM they always paid you on the 6th of the month or near as.

Last 19 years it has been the railway who pay you every 4 weeks on a Friday.

My next pay day is the 1st of March, then after that the 29th of March. I treat this as being paid monthly.

ToadKiller Dog

Changed my job last year after 19 years in same job ,went from monthly to weekly .

Certainly find it's easier to save up on weekly pay ,though I've kept my bills still mostly on the 1st of the month 

Monthly I was often in my overdraft ,weekly it's rare I need to dip into it .

For me weekly is much better 

crunchy frog
28 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

When I first left school I was paid weekly.

Then I started the job that tips a certain poster over the edge, and for my first year was paid fortnightly. Then I got the option to go monthly, this was away back in 1980.

Since then I have always been paid monthly. 

With IBM they always paid you on the 6th of the month or near as.

Last 19 years it has been the railway who pay you every 4 weeks on a Friday.

My next pay day is the 1st of March, then after that the 29th of March. I treat this as being paid monthly.

Thats good to know, 1st March eh? Now I know when to hit up Mr G for a sub 😬 

been here before
1 hour ago, John Findlay said:

Then I started the job that tips a certain poster over the edge,

:rofl:

Tell us what it was Albert, tell us... :lol:

12 hours ago, FWJ said:

I doubt it's commonly used. On the other hand, I'm pretty sure I don't know anyone with 4-weekly pay.

I don't know about Scotland, but in Ireland back in the 60s and 70s being paid a monthly salary rather than a weekly wage was seen as a marker of class or social status, even if you weren't earning that much. 

2 hours ago, Ulysses said:

I doubt it's commonly used. On the other hand, I'm pretty sure I don't know anyone with 4-weekly pay.

I don't know about Scotland, but in Ireland back in the 60s and 70s being paid a monthly salary rather than a weekly wage was seen as a marker of class or social status, even if you weren't earning that much. 

Same in Scotland.  Paid monthly was for ‘professionals’.  ‘Workers’ got cash in a wee envelope - usually on a Thursday.  Banks in Scotland used to re-open at 4:30 to 6 (after having closed as normal at 3:30) on a Thursday so people could put their pay in, or if they were, unusually, paid directly into their bank, access it.

Retired now (but still working part time to keep busy). But here in Canada I was always paid every 2 weeks on a Friday. I was a tradesman not a so called “professional” or office worker.

My wife was a “professional” and at various times/jobs throughout her career (depending on the employer) was paid every 2 weeks or once a month. Sometimes our pay dates were staggered so if I got paid this Friday, she got paid the next Friday. 
That was nice. The Eagle was always taking a big shite every Friday!  Made for a nice bank balance!

16 hours ago, FWJ said:

Started on monthly in 1981 (£175 a month! ) and then I changed jobs at 18 was paid £175 fortnightly. It changed about 1988/89 back to monthly for good though. Monthly basically kept the money in the employers bank account longer so they got the benefit of the interest I think!

As a young man, basically spending it as quickly as it came in and with few bills, I liked fortnightly. Never more than a week away  between being skint, to well off. :) 

10 minutes ago, Daktari said:

Started on monthly in 1981 (£175 a month! ) and then I changed jobs at 18 was paid £175 fortnightly. It changed about 1988/89 back to monthly for good though. Monthly basically kept the money in the employers bank account longer so they got the benefit of the interest I think!

As a young man, basically spending it as quickly as it came in and with few bills, I liked fortnightly. Never more than a week away  between being skint, to well off. :) 

😁

I was weekly in jobs I had before / during college and then straight onto monthly.  £505 month (in 1987).  It was riches beyond imagination!

Edited by FWJ

PaddysBar

I recall reading a few years back about an experiment in Germany where folk were paid annually. Probably pretty good for paying the bills and maybe the holidays but you’d have to seriously budget the disposable income. 

Folk could be skint in march😀

Didn't realise weekly pay was still a thing. I prefer monthly as easier to budget after all my DDs leave my account in the first week of every month.

That thing you do
On 24/02/2024 at 15:00, Angel eyes said:

It’s near end of the month and Tesco is heavin so it must be pay day, I’ve never worked a monthly pay what ever I’ve done job wise  it’s been a weekly pay so I’ve always managed to budget on a weekly basis……but my current employer is thinking about introducing monthly payments as he says it’s “cheaper” for them to work …….which is the better option ? Or no difference 

In Mexico you get paid every two weeks (every 15 days) known as a Quincena.

I much prefer it to a monthly pay as money comes in regularly.

One Quincena pays the bills mostly the other is fully saved.

Edited by That thing you do

Mr Sifter

I’ve got a few accounts (piss easy to open new accounts on your banking app). I know that I need to set aside £X each month for all my direct debits, so when I get paid (every four weeks) I simply subtract £X from my pay. That goes into one account where I know my DDs throughout the month will be covered. The rest I know I’ve got to myself. 

Easy 👍🏼

highlandjambo3

I get paid through booking.com the first week of the following month…I.e if you booked a room anytime in September, I’d get paid by the 7th of October that is all of Septembers bookings in one payment…..robbing barstewards, they get to sit on all the interest clients pay, often months in advance as well🤬🤬…….we’re possibly 90-95% full from now until mid October.  I also run a guided tour business as a sideline but, that’s random payments….oh and I hire out electric & non electric bikes from my hoos…..lots of plates being spun 🙄

Edited by highlandjambo3

Mikey1874

Previously had fortnightly pay which was brilliant. You had enough for monthly payments plus new cash all the time.