Challenging next season

Gorgiewave

hughesie27

Hopefully a wake up call/reminder for those that have ignored we have placed pretty crap in the majority of games this season.

Gorgiewave
Just now, hughesie27 said:

Hopefully a wake up call/reminder for those that have ignored we have placed pretty crap in the majority of games this season.

Yes. This is the first time for a while we've played a good team on form and we've failed badly.

davemclaren
27 minutes ago, Gorgiewave said:

Next season could yet be challenging.

What season isn't challenging?

nick_3892

Rangers and Celtic are still miles ahead. Have an off day in Glasgow and that can happen easily. A lesson for the players and Naismith and hopefully we learn it. Let’s see what happens on Wednesday. 👍👍

Challenge for 3rd, aye. 

Forget challenging for a league title. Not happening.

Chuck Berry
40 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Playing crap yet miles ahead in third and 11 wins in 13. Let's keep playing crap.

Bazzas right boot

Nah,

Hopefully keep our better players and add a few quality players

Other guys will improve like Rowles, Hoff, Vargas, Hopefully Oda .

Staying 3rd will be a challenge. 

If we can do that for 3/4 seasons  increase our points total then you never know.

Celtic and Rangers are Miles ahead and either one or both will get ucl money.

JamboGraham

Does the OP think the other 9 teams are going to reach the level of Celtic/Rangers between now and August?

Unless that happens then I don't see how today tells us anything about the challenge we will face next season?

Our "challenge" is to be consistently 3rd and to achieve it more convincingly season on season.

What did you the OP see today that changes the parameters for our club?

It takes players that have ability and have shown signs to mature and play more consistently to a high standard. 

We all know who we are talking about.  

Bongo 1874

Possible,let's get a set formation first though,and play to our strengths, along with further good recruitment in summer.

The only challenge next season will be repeating this seasons success with the addition of European nights. Likely without guys like Shankland to rely on for goals. 

Big summer coming I think.

I'm sure Naismith will be assessing the squad to see who he can trust or needs replaced. 

I would think a fair few will be replaced in the summer. 

I don't think Naismith while he recognises the improvement from the start of the season will tolerate any more performances like that. 

11 minutes ago, Bauld said:

The only challenge next season will be repeating this seasons success with the addition of European nights. Likely without guys like Shankland to rely on for goals. 

The only way Hearts can realistically kick on and improve (not to reach a mythical next level) is to consistently finish third and make a conscious effort to get into European group football consistently if possible , at that point we can invest in a better quality of player,

Just to stand still next season we will need to continue to bring in better players.

hughesie27
44 minutes ago, Chuck Berry said:

Playing crap yet miles ahead in third and 11 wins in 13. Let's keep playing crap.

Absolutely. 3 points are all that matters. 

Last season basically set us back a year. If we get 3rd this season, then we have the challenge again of maintaining 3rd. After last week, I too dared to dream that maybe this season we can push the top 2, but let's be real, today shows that we're nowhere near that level. It's down the club and personnel to make sure there's no repeats of 2022/23. We've got a second chance to do it right. Then, from there, maybe we can focus on pushing up the table further, but make no bones about it, it will take a good few years of 3rd place finishes, solid recruitment and player development to even get close.

south morocco
1 hour ago, Bauld said:

If we get there, I think the format has changed too meaning 10 games until knockout 

Bull's-eye

Yes we can challenge.

If you'd have asked the same question a 2pm it would have been yes.

We didn't win any points today, no more no less.

Grow up JKB ffs.

Some of the criticism of Naismith and the players earlier in the season was way over the top, but equally some of the hyberbole in recent weeks about how good some of the players are was a bit silly. The reality is we have a decent squad of players but that most of the teams we are up against are very average, which probably makes us look a better team than what we really are. When we come up against better class opposition - like today - the frustrating truth is we are quite far off it.  We are a long way off challenging the big two IMO.

Scott Monument

Sadly no team will be challenging the two cheeks for the league in the next 40 years I hope I’m wrong but it’s been nearly 40 years since Aberdeen won it 

brunoatemyhamster

Cementing 3rd season after season is the challenge. 

One step at a time. 

We are miles away from closing the gap above, but not miles away from opening a permanent gap below imo

Gordon_1874
4 minutes ago, brunoatemyhamster said:

Cementing 3rd season after season is the challenge. 

One step at a time. 

We are miles away from closing the gap above, but not miles away from opening a permanent gap below imo

This. Let's continue to be the best of the rest and try to gradually cut the gap on the 2 above us.

vladisacoward
3 hours ago, hughesie27 said:

Unfortunately, we are blighted as a club with a large chunk of our support base who clearly don’t really understand the game or are just blind as a bat who all seem to think we aren’t far off the Guardiola Barca team despite lots of evidence to the contrary.

colinmaroon

In just about every game in our winning run we gave up chances and the opposition missed them. 

Rangers didn't. 

5 hours ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Possible,let's get a set formation first though,and play to our strengths, along with further good recruitment in summer.

Get the back 3 concept chucked in the bin. We haven't got the players to utilise it effectively. We couldn't get a grip on the semi final against them and then utilise it again today in the knowledge of what we were coming up against. I just don't understand that. 

We need to make sure we hit back on Wednesday as Sunday could be another humbling. We need to starting learning from our mistakes. Far too many times the back 3 has been canned. I can't understand why Naismith isn't taking a notice if that reality. 

I think the biggest challenge atm is recognising the mental weakness of some of our players and addressing this either by developing them or replacing with others of equal or better quality but with mental toughness. Naismith recognised this deficiency by alluding to players being spooked by the crowd. 

jamborich

Wake up call today we aren’t close to the old firm yes we might beat them on occasion but over a season no chance, we have to to be honest third is our limit ATM

spirt of 98
13 hours ago, jbee647 said:

The only way Hearts can realistically kick on and improve (not to reach a mythical next level) is to consistently finish third and make a conscious effort to get into European group football consistently if possible , at that point we can invest in a better quality of player,

Just to stand still next season we will need to continue to bring in better players.

To be honest. I think we are at the level we should be at. A strong top finishing team. 

I am sure if we have a few European games next season we will struggle in the league as the players will tired. 

Our finish last season and Aberdeen's this season show just how difficult it is to play European football midweek and league football at the weekends. We need to recruit players that will allow us to play twice weekly and still maintain third position consistently before we can even think about trying to close the gap and those above us. 

40 minutes ago, dougal said:

Our finish last season and Aberdeen's this season show just how difficult it is to play European football midweek and league football at the weekends. We need to recruit players that will allow us to play twice weekly and still maintain third position consistently before we can even think about trying to close the gap and those above us. 

Our results after European games were fine. 
Europe wasn’t the reason for our collapse last season 

ArcticJambo

Will we?

... well that depends upon :

1/ Whether we can support Shanks with smart aquisitions,

2/ Whether we make Europe,

3/ How shit everyone else is

I'm confident on one of those!

buzzbomb1958
On 24/02/2024 at 18:03, Bazzas right boot said:

Nah,

Hopefully keep our better players and add a few quality players

Other guys will improve like Rowles, Hoff, Vargas, Hopefully Oda .

Staying 3rd will be a challenge. 

If we can do that for 3/4 seasons  increase our points total then you never know.

Celtic and Rangers are Miles ahead and either one or both will get ucl money.

For one more season hopefully, if the Czech teams overcome the coefficient then the winner of the SPL in season 24/25 will have to play 2 qualifying rounds to get into the group stages , it’s going to be damn hard for any Scottish team to get into any of the competitions