Anyone Emigrated To America?

Moncs

Just wondered if anyone here has emigrated to America in recent years, and if so how do they now find thier lifestyle compared to what it was here in the UK in terms of financial and employment status etc etc

Civil Jambo
Just wondered if anyone here has emigrated to America in recent years, and if so how do they now find thier lifestyle compared to what it was here in the UK in terms of financial and employment status etc etc

My sis did due to job offer... to an island just off texas and no offensive to anyone who is religous here but they are jesus freaks there! also totally different work culture they mostly work 7 days a week and only average 12 days paid holiday a year.

My sis did due to job offer... to an island just off texas and no offensive to anyone who is religous here but they are jesus freaks there! also totally different work culture they mostly work 7 days a week and only average 12 days paid holiday a year.

Thats the MAJOR thing that puts me off

Civil Jambo
Thats the MAJOR thing that puts me off

theres that but also they are gun nuts you mouth off to someone here you might get punched eqivalent there someone blows your brains out!:peek_by_Andrin::peek_by_Andrin:

Have lots of mates who have gone there and totally loved it, depends on the state and the job. But most of them have never thought of it as an emigration, they were always coming back.

I spent 12 months working there and it was great, but only as a short term thing.

so i guess i am saying go and enjoy it but emigration is a huge thing. think of it differently

Moncs, wife Fiona, son Cameron and I left Edinburgh in 1998, so been here 10 years and regard this as home now - there are great opportunities to make a lot of money, but if you're unskilled like me, and basically in the right place at the right time, you can still have a great life - the food, sun, standard of living, the friendliness, cleanliness and all round politeness and consideration of people is refreshing, it's so laid back, sandals shorts and t-shirts year round, if you want - nothing's a problem - it's a great place to bring up a family - we now couldn't last 10 minutes in Edinburgh. I work 5 8-hour days, Fiona works 4 4-hour nights, we have 2 cars and a 2 level 4 bed 2.5 bath house on the east of Orlando - we are happy with where we've managed to end up, coming from a 2 bed 1 bath flat in Orwell Terrace - we're happy with what we've got so far, without getting greedy - sure, the debt mountain the kids are going to inherit could be a wee bit smaller, but we're enjoying our life, and that's what it's all about! (Just taken my left foot out, and shaken it all about, just to make sure!) Every weekend is like a mini vacation, we're 45 mins from Cocoa Beach! (Sun, sand, sea, open air bar, deep fried bar food, girls in bikinis washing the sand off after the beach volleyball competition, you can't help cheering - check out the beach view on this site - http://www.coconutsonthebeach.com/beach.html) - I would buy this place if I could!

The gun thing is like Edinburgh's drug problem - unless you're part of that sub-culture, or get yourself in a "situation", then it doesn't bother you - if you go out of your way looking for trouble, then like Edinburgh, it will find you quite easliy.

Fiona and I still have our Edinburgh accents, don't have that affected fake Sheena Easton accent - in short, Moncs, get over if you get the chance - in fact, speak to Tom Heaney on this site - met him 2 weeks ago - he was going back to Edinburgh after living over here for 9 years - he'll give you a good idea - now, as for Tom's accent...:)

Moncs, wife Fiona, son Cameron and I left Edinburgh in 1998, so been here 10 years and regard this as home now - there are great opportunities to make a lot of money, but if you're unskilled like me, and basically in the right place at the right time, you can still have a great life - the food, sun, standard of living, the friendliness, cleanliness and all round politeness and consideration of people is refreshing, it's so laid back, sandals shorts and t-shirts year round, if you want - nothing's a problem - it's a great place to bring up a family - we now couldn't last 10 minutes in Edinburgh. I work 5 8-hour days, Fiona works 4 4-hour nights, we have 2 cars and a 2 level 4 bed 2.5 bath house on the east of Orlando - we are happy with where we've managed to end up, coming from a 2 bed 1 bath flat in Orwell Terrace - we're happy with what we've got so far, without getting greedy - sure, the debt mountain the kids are going to inherit could be a wee bit smaller, but we're enjoying our life, and that's what it's all about! (Just taken my left foot out, and shaken it all about, just to make sure!) Every weekend is like a mini vacation, we're 45 mins from Cocoa Beach! (Sun, sand, sea, open air bar, deep fried bar food, girls in bikinis washing the sand off after the beach volleyball competition, you can't help cheering - check out the beach view on this site - http://www.coconutsonthebeach.com/beach.html) - I would buy this place if I could!

The gun thing is like Edinburgh's drug problem - unless you're part of that sub-culture, or get yourself in a "situation", then it doesn't bother you - if you go out of your way looking for trouble, then like Edinburgh, it will find you quite easliy.

Fiona and I still have our Edinburgh accents, don't have that affected fake Sheena Easton accent - in short, Moncs, get over if you get the chance - in fact, speak to Tom Heaney on this site - met him 2 weeks ago - he was going back to Edinburgh after living over here for 9 years - he'll give you a good idea - now, as for Tom's accent...:)

Great reply, THANKS

Looking at a few real estate sites the cost of houses over there is far cheaper than Edinburgh and you seem to get a lot more for your money.

(obviously depending on the area)

With regards bills, is there any other household bills you pay over and above the usual power and council tax bills that we have here?

(sorry if that sounds a dumb question)

depends where you're looking at moving to and what type of job you're gonna be doing.

I've been in NJ off and on for the last 3 years, I can't stay full time because of Visas but given the chance I wouldn't hesitate to stay.

Compared to home the standard of living is much higher and you tend to get a lot more for your money. NJ has notoriously high property taxes and you have to get decent medical insurance sorted out, apart from that I think income taxes etc. are generally lower than at home. At the moment it's a buyers market for houses with lots of foreclosures (repossessions) as folk have borrowed waaaaay too much in the past to buy houses and are now screwed.

Definitely look into getting over here if you have the opportunity, thoroughly recommend it.

Craig Gordons Gloves

Its magic!

Been here for over e year and was in NYC for 9 months before that. Someone mentioned the work culture, they do appear to work stupidly long hours - when you actually look at it, they don't - as they only work from 8 till about 4 and then **** off, then they go on email late at night to make it look like they are committed! Holidays wise - i still work for a UK company so i dont have to worry about only having a few days - but they accrue in hours so you dont appear to get many for your first few years.

Standard of living is amazing - 2 cars, insurance on them is cheaper, gas is cheaper, clothes are cheaper obviiously house is cheaper and you get more (for example, i'm in my basement which is the size of the whole house and is a great man cave!)

Things that arent so good - food tends to be more expensive in the supermarkets for basics like bread - it is usually cheaper to eat out - which means massive portions!

The best thing would be the pride in the towns etc. We've had family over with kids - the parks are in great condition, no vandalism etc, there are also loads of free things for kids to do. At home parks like the one we have round the corner would be full of buckie swilling youths writing stuff on it and burning things. Thats if you could get a park without either forming a fund rasing committe or camping outside the council.

Do it!! We love it.

Snake Plissken

I'm thinking about it - and i have a US passport so it would be simple for me to get over there.

Don't think the bird would be as keen though.

Glamorgan Jambo

Spent 4 years there about 10 years ago.

Great place, standard of living higher than here, cost of living lower etc etc Like anywhere you can find what you don't like in 30 minutes but have to look a bit harder to find the things that are great but not obvious.

Go for it...

PS I was an expat for a multinational so can't answer too many questions about visas etc

Those that did move and liked it....how did you get visas etc?

I was lucky - in the right place at the right time, recognized the opportunity and have never regretted it - got over on an inter-company transfer visa, that's how we got our green cards.:)

After many vacations over there i'd love to emigrate now. Finally got the missus round to the idea, how hard do you think it would be to get a visa? Shes a skilled nanny, I'm a office man :)

After many vacations over there i'd love to emigrate now. Finally got the missus round to the idea, how hard do you think it would be to get a visa? Shes a skilled nanny, I'm a office man :)

Thats my thinking as well. Been over about 6 times and loved each visit.

Recent visit was for the past three weeks staying with my dad and his wife just outside LA.

Unfortunately, there is no skilled labour route to permanent residence in the US, like there is to places like Australia.

The only way to get in is work transfer, family, marriage, political refugee or study.

Unfortunately, there is no skilled labour route to permanent residence in the US, like there is to places like Australia.

The only way to get in is work transfer, family, marriage, political refugee or study.

Rather than a work transfer could you not just apply for suitable jobs that you see advertised and should you get offered the position then you could move?

Or are they laws against companies offering people jobs who are not yet resident in the US?

Rather than a work transfer could you not just apply for suitable jobs that you see advertised and should you get offered the position then you could move?

Or are they laws against companies offering people jobs who are not yet resident in the US?

You need to be authorised to work here before you can take a job. There is a H1B visa that employers can apply for on your behalf, but to get it they have to prove they can't find someone in the US.

You need to be authorised to work here before you can take a job. There is a H1B visa that employers can apply for on your behalf, but to get it they have to prove they can't find someone in the US.

Understand now, thanks.

So there is no way to moving to the US if you just want a better lifestyle etc unless you transfer job within your current company?

Understand now, thanks.

So there is no way to moving to the US if you just want a better lifestyle etc unless you transfer job within your current company?

Not legally ;)

Rab, is it true that one has to get one's wallet and pockets sealed if one moves to the USA?

Rab, is it true that one has to get one's wallet and pockets sealed if one moves to the USA?

I have no idea what you're talking about :)

alwaysthereinspirit

Moved here 20 years ago. No chance in hell of having what I have over here back home. If your willing to work hard you can achieve just about anything over here. Find that back home people resent you if you want to try and better yourself. Heard the same thing from so many ex pats over here. People over here could give a $#!t on your background and take you for what you are now. Love Scotland and it will always be home for me but couldn't move back there to live.

Boaby Ewing
Wow, that's scary stuff.

Move to the North Shore and you're tickety boo.

Evanston is particularly nice, and rammed full of high class fonny that'll be banking six figures in their first job.

Who said romance was dead? :P

heartgarfunkel
Move to the North Shore and you're tickety boo.

Evanston is particularly nice, and rammed full of high class fonny that'll be banking six figures in their first job.

Who said romance was dead? :P

Man's advice. To the point and on the money.

Its magic!

Been here for over e year and was in NYC for 9 months before that. Someone mentioned the work culture, they do appear to work stupidly long hours - when you actually look at it, they don't - as they only work from 8 till about 4 and then **** off, then they go on email late at night to make it look like they are committed! Holidays wise - i still work for a UK company so i dont have to worry about only having a few days - but they accrue in hours so you dont appear to get many for your first few years.

Standard of living is amazing - 2 cars, insurance on them is cheaper, gas is cheaper, clothes are cheaper obviiously house is cheaper and you get more (for example, i'm in my basement which is the size of the whole house and is a great man cave!)

Things that arent so good - food tends to be more expensive in the supermarkets for basics like bread - it is usually cheaper to eat out - which means massive portions!

The best thing would be the pride in the towns etc. We've had family over with kids - the parks are in great condition, no vandalism etc, there are also loads of free things for kids to do. At home parks like the one we have round the corner would be full of buckie swilling youths writing stuff on it and burning things. Thats if you could get a park without either forming a fund rasing committe or camping outside the council.

Do it!! We love it.

CGC, I agree, it's generally the level of civic pride - they don't trash the area, are proud of it, and that's the difference - your comment about "buckie swilling youths writing stuff on it and burning things" hits the nail right on the head - the so-called stupid Yanks do have somethings right, imho:cool:

Moved here 20 years ago. No chance in hell of having what I have over here back home. If your willing to work hard you can achieve just about anything over here. Find that back home people resent you if you want to try and better yourself. Heard the same thing from so many ex pats over here. People over here could give a $#!t on your background and take you for what you are now. Love Scotland and it will always be home for me but couldn't move back there to live.

Always, have to agree with you, for example - when I told my so-called "friends" I had a chance of emigrating to the USA, they all turned their back on me, except for a few, YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE, was even shunned by my sister, and still am to this day!

I remain a proud Scot, still have a full Edinburgh accent (wife Fiona's also from Edinburgh, so that's why we still have it) - kids are a lost cause - when Cameron's 1st grade teacher met him when he was entering 3rd grade, and heard him talk, she started to cry! He sounded like all the other students, she missed his beautiful cool Scottish accent, which will now never come back.

I think that basically, I had an opportunity that my "friends" were both surprised, and maybe a little jealous of - they didn't mean any harm, and neither do I - I can just recognize and seize an opportunity the few times that it comes along in life, that's all:cool:

Craig-Section Z

Does anyone have a daughter or sister with a a green card that has little morals when it comes to using marriage as a means to getting me a visa they could donate to me?? :)

I have wanted to go for years but its just impossible to get that magic green card........probably the only thing in the world thats green that i would want!!

Craig-Section Z
Always, have to agree with you, for example - when I told my so-called "friends" I had a chance of emigrating to the USA, they all turned their back on me, except for a few, YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE, was even shunned by my sister, and still am to this day!

I remain a proud Scot, still have a full Edinburgh accent (wife Fiona's also from Edinburgh, so that's why we still have it) - kids are a lost cause - when Cameron's 1st grade teacher met him when he was entering 3rd grade, and heard him talk, she started to cry! He sounded like all the other students, she missed his beautiful cool Scottish accent, which will now never come back.

I think that basically, I had an opportunity that my "friends" were both surprised, and maybe a little jealous of - they didn't mean any harm, and neither do I - I can just recognize and seize an opportunity the few times that it comes along in life, that's all:cool:

You have the life i want in the place i want........fancy swapping??? I will throw in my season ticket for free :)

Archived