Samantha Morton Fellowship BAFTA Speech

JudyJudyJudy

JudyJudyJudy

Following in the illustrious footsteps the likes of Vanessa Redgrave  , Hitchcock, David Lean , Laurence Olivier  et al , Its extemely powerul and moving .  Shes a fine actress but an even better human being . Congratulations. I liked what she said about not being a " statistic"  . Go out there and achieve despite what disadvantages you may have it is still possible.  Yes I know its more difficult but she did and so can others.  She came from a care and abusive background  . God bless her. 

JudyJudyJudy
6 minutes ago, Stuart Lyon said:

Amazing speech by an amazing actress and person.

👍👍

JudyJudyJudy
2 hours ago, jambosean75 said:

i recommend listening to her interview on the 

Thanks for sharing this . I really enjoyed listening to it . Some things I took from it . 

I loved that she wasn’t afraid to ask what “ co terminus “ meant ? 😂 shows  how humble and unpretentious she is . I didn’t know what it meant either ! 

Reminded me of a time I went for a job interview and they asked me how I would “ facilitate “ something happening , I didn’t know what it meant and like her I just told them I didn’t know what it meant ( I didn’t get the job 😂

The Northern Ireland story was great and the Tom Cruise one too . I’d have an aversion to his ott behaviours but she was very warm about him . 

The discussion about the care system was excellent and she made some valid points ! I actually nearly shouted “ yes” when she said the council would have been better placing her in a boarding school than council residential care. I’ve argued this countless times , with probably the same reasons she would . 

She was rather bleak about the care system but I know in Scotland one has to either have certain qualifications or work towards them to be a residential care worker now . So there are improvements . 

She really is a brave actress taking on a role such as Myra Hindley . “ Longford “ was an excellent piece of television . 

I haven’t seen “ Morvern Caller” or “ The unloved “ but they are on my to watch list . When listening to it I forgot she was stunning in a couple episodes of 

“ cracker” at the beginning of her career. 

Finally I like that she used normal language when talking about her “ real “ mum and not her “ biological “ mum . She hasn’t been captured in some ways . 

Edited by JudyJudyJudy

John Findlay

As one who in 1975, was in care at Canaan house Canaan Lane, I can empathise with Samantha Morton a great deal.

JudyJudyJudy
6 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

As one who in 1975, was in care at Canaan house Canaan Lane, I can empathise with Samantha Morton a great deal.

Hopefully it’s changed a lot since then John ? However the stats might say other wise as they are pretty bleak ones 

( homelessness , drug use , prison etc all feature in “ aftercare stats “ ) but as I noted in my initial posting , don’t be a stat but I am perfectly aware of the obstacles that people leaving care have in society so it is hard . 

John Findlay
Just now, JudyJudyJudy said:

Hopefully it’s changed a lot since then John ? However the stats might say other wise as they are pretty bleak ones 

( homelessness , drug use , prison etc all feature in “ aftercare stats “ ) but as I noted in my initial posting , don’t be a stat but I am perfectly aware of the obstacles that people leaving care have in society so it is hard . 

Here's the thing. I didn't have any obstacles, if I did I never noticed or took any notice of them.

JudyJudyJudy
11 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

She spoke of some care workers being only 19 when they were working With kids not that much younger. A friend of mine worked in a unit in the 70s and he noted that too . 

JudyJudyJudy
Just now, John Findlay said:

Here's the thing. I didn't have any obstacles, if I did I never noticed or took any notice of them.

Well that’s basically what she is saying . Be successful. Despite the disadvantages you might have . I wasn’t in care but had “ obstacles “ and over came them . 

John Findlay
1 minute ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

She spoke of some care workers being only 19 when they were working With kids not that much younger. A friend of mine worked in a unit in the 70s and he noted that too . 

Can't recall any late teens, early 20s yes.

JudyJudyJudy
Just now, John Findlay said:

Can't recall any late teens, early 20s yes.

She’s talking about English homes . My pal worked in a Barnados  one 

John Findlay
4 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

She’s talking about English homes . My pal worked in a Barnados  one 

I was talking about the 1970s. I personally don't think there was much difference between children's homes in England and Scotland back then.

Here's another thing, I never experienced any abuse physical or sexual whilst I was in care. Mind you I was only in care for Eight months. Feb-Oct 75.

JudyJudyJudy
2 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

I was talking about the 1970s. I personally don't think there was much difference between children's homes in England and Scotland back then.

Here's another thing, I never experienced any abuse physical or sexual whilst I was in care. Mind you I was only in care for Eight months. Feb-Oct 75.

👍