'Next level'

damo

Having a butchers at this site makes interesting reading.  (It has been mentioned on here a few times over the years so assume its reliable)

https://www.capology.com/uk/scottish-premiership/payrolls/

I think it speaks volumes as to how well the team is doing considering the gulf in finances. And although, we seem to be the 4th highest, I think it demonstrates quite clearly how rival clubs are much closer to us that we are to the OF. Given the points gap between ourselves to the rest is larger than it is from us to the OF are we now in the fabled 'next level' territory , 'punching above our weight'  or just going through a 'purple patch' !

One of the drop down options is for 'Transfer Window' and it's a little concerning how little we receive for player sales compared to Aberdeen and Hibs over the last few years or so. Again, wont be a surprise to most but seeing the figures laid out in front of you grates a bit !

Edited by damo

Cambo_Jambo

I've said for a long time that the next level looks remarkably like where we are just now for Hearts.

If we can set ourselves as the team that finishes 3rd 2 years in every 3, or 4 in every 5, we're building a very strong base to push forward. Brings more regular European football, even if that's 'just' qualifiers and the cash injection that brings.

From there, get to the semi's in cup competitions every year, and hang about hoping for the chance when both Rangers and Celtic aren't quite 'on it'

If you take this season, for instance, both sides of the Old Firm have still been pretty hard to keep up with but Rangers had a sluggish start and Celtic are having a bad patch. In a season with them doing that and us absolutely flying like we are now, it's maybe conceivable we do a Leicester and sneak into the title due to the big guys being 'off it' 

Getting to next level is consistent 3rd place finishes, building a squad and income base that separates us from the rest, winning more cups and positioning ourselves for the Old Firm to have a nightmare.

upgotheheads

The most surprising thing about that comparison is that Livingston, with their tiny support, are out-competing bigger established clubs like Killie, 'Well St.Mirren and St Johnston.

Tommy Brown

Livi at a lot more salary level than half the teams suggest serious trouble when they go down.

I don't get bent out of shape regarding player transfers though

We sign players on a contract length, if we get value for money over the length, I'm happy.

Do you want 3rd by keeping players or risk dropping a place or two by selling them and new recruited players not hitting the ground running.

I don't think we need to be a selling club.

The way it is shaping up, we will get future offers for the likes of Rowles, Vargas, Cochrane, etc.

We are in a good place again

John Findlay

This graph, if true, shows why the gruesome twosome must have the champions league money, and why they do everything possible to make sure no other club gets a sniff.

Niemi’s gloves

If you believe these numbers, our total annual payroll for goalkeepers is £250,000 compared to £680,000 for Livingston’s keepers! I think I’d put the whole thing in the bin. 

OmiyaHearts

The bottom line is, no-one knows indivual players pay in Scotland. It's all guess work.

11 minutes ago, Niemi’s gloves said:

If you believe these numbers, our total annual payroll for goalkeepers is £250,000 compared to £680,000 for Livingston’s keepers! I think I’d put the whole thing in the bin. 

So many red flags in that "data". At even a cursory look I don't believe any of it 

40 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Livi at a lot more salary level than half the teams suggest serious trouble when they go down.

I don't get bent out of shape regarding player transfers though

We sign players on a contract length, if we get value for money over the length, I'm happy.

Do you want 3rd by keeping players or risk dropping a place or two by selling them and new recruited players not hitting the ground running.

I don't think we need to be a selling club.

The way it is shaping up, we will get future offers for the likes of Rowles, Vargas, Cochrane, etc.

We are in a good place again

It's a very good point. Constant sales and turnover of players is the very reason Hibs have ended up with such a large wage bill and crap squad. 

53 minutes ago, damo said:

Having a butchers at this site makes interesting reading.  (It has been mentioned on here a few times over the years so assume its reliable)

https://www.capology.com/uk/scottish-premiership/payrolls/

I think it speaks volumes as to how well the team is doing considering the gulf in finances. And although, we seem to be the 4th highest, I think it demonstrates quite clearly how rival clubs are much closer to us that we are to the OF. Given the points gap between ourselves to the rest is larger than it is from us to the OF are we now in the fabled 'next level' territory , 'punching above our weight'  or just going through a 'purple patch' !

One of the drop down options is for 'Transfer Window' and it's a little concerning how little we receive for player sales compared to Aberdeen and Hibs over the last few years or so. Again, wont be a surprise to most but seeing the figures laid out in front of you grates a bit !

Firstly, I think the numbers are probably pie in the sky, but secondly I do think our playing budget is very close to Aberdeen and Hibs and I wouldn't be surprised if any of the three clubs is the highest.  My guess would actually be Aberdeen, but this show they'd be third of the three.

On your last paragraph, that's not concerning to me in the slightest.  You go sell your best players at the very first chance.  Go on.  If Hibs had Shankland, would he still be there knocking the goals in?  Not on your nelly - he'd have been gone last summer for as much as they could get, no matter how much that was.

While yes we've had a couple of kicks in the nuts, they've been highly circumstantial.  Souttar's injuries simply meant we couldnt have him tied down at the time we needed to maximise that, and he had the chance to hugely increase his wages in what looked a fragile career for him.  Hickey's age worked against us as he was still on first contract length, so we got less than we might but the most we could.

But largely, our players obviously have a price.  From Toby to Cochrane and Shanks, you can sniff, but we're in control.  We don't NEED your money, so meet our price, or the lads stay and keep doing the business in maroon.  I much prefer this to whoring our players about and it's highest bidder, no matter the bid.

43 minutes ago, Cambo_Jambo said:

I've said for a long time that the next level looks remarkably like where we are just now for Hearts.

If we can set ourselves as the team that finishes 3rd 2 years in every 3, or 4 in every 5, we're building a very strong base to push forward. Brings more regular European football, even if that's 'just' qualifiers and the cash injection that brings.

From there, get to the semi's in cup competitions every year, and hang about hoping for the chance when both Rangers and Celtic aren't quite 'on it'

If you take this season, for instance, both sides of the Old Firm have still been pretty hard to keep up with but Rangers had a sluggish start and Celtic are having a bad patch. In a season with them doing that and us absolutely flying like we are now, it's maybe conceivable we do a Leicester and sneak into the title due to the big guys being 'off it' 

Getting to next level is consistent 3rd place finishes, building a squad and income base that separates us from the rest, winning more cups and positioning ourselves for the Old Firm to have a nightmare.

100%.  We've hit the next level.  While last year was massively disappointing, 3rd, 4th, 3rd is an anomaly in our history.  It's a new modern high in terms of season on season consistency.  And let's face it, a bad, what 6 weeks? is all that stopped three 3rds.

Points totals is the next step and even then we're on track to be at least high 60s which again is a step up.

Next is it maybe more points in Europe?  Or is it simply managing to keep third while playing in Europe?  if we can hit high 60/70 points NEXT season and play group stages, it'll be another step, won't it?

We're in very rude health in every department of the football club - football included!!

Ex member of the SaS

The next level is being third more seasons in a row than any of the rest. We may get closer to the bigot twins but unless Sevco go under we will never be ALLOWED to take second or first. For that reason, and that reason alone, is why I would prefer Celtic won the league. ( couldn't care less otherwise ). Sevco must win the league to get the big Euro money but if they don't they are in serious risk of going under. If they don't win the league there is a chance they may survive but with no big players so we would then be in prime place for second.

kingantti1874

Absolute drivel I’m afraid. 

the only real numbers we have to go on are wages reported in official published accounts.  There needs to be some assumption becuase not all wages are spent on players but safe to assume the majority are.

hearts reported wage bill is £15.4m hibs reported wage bill is £10.1m

now - maybe not all of the £5.3m is going on playing staff.  But a large chunk of it will be. 

Hibs don’t pay more in wages than hearts. 

Both old firm clubs have reported wage bills in excess of £60m 

Cambo_Jambo
35 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Firstly, I think the numbers are probably pie in the sky, but secondly I do think our playing budget is very close to Aberdeen and Hibs and I wouldn't be surprised if any of the three clubs is the highest.  My guess would actually be Aberdeen, but this show they'd be third of the three.

On your last paragraph, that's not concerning to me in the slightest.  You go sell your best players at the very first chance.  Go on.  If Hibs had Shankland, would he still be there knocking the goals in?  Not on your nelly - he'd have been gone last summer for as much as they could get, no matter how much that was.

While yes we've had a couple of kicks in the nuts, they've been highly circumstantial.  Souttar's injuries simply meant we couldnt have him tied down at the time we needed to maximise that, and he had the chance to hugely increase his wages in what looked a fragile career for him.  Hickey's age worked against us as he was still on first contract length, so we got less than we might but the most we could.

But largely, our players obviously have a price.  From Toby to Cochrane and Shanks, you can sniff, but we're in control.  We don't NEED your money, so meet our price, or the lads stay and keep doing the business in maroon.  I much prefer this to whoring our players about and it's highest bidder, no matter the bid.

100%.  We've hit the next level.  While last year was massively disappointing, 3rd, 4th, 3rd is an anomaly in our history.  It's a new modern high in terms of season on season consistency.  And let's face it, a bad, what 6 weeks? is all that stopped three 3rds.

Points totals is the next step and even then we're on track to be at least high 60s which again is a step up.

Next is it maybe more points in Europe?  Or is it simply managing to keep third while playing in Europe?  if we can hit high 60/70 points NEXT season and play group stages, it'll be another step, won't it?

We're in very rude health in every department of the football club - football included!!

If we manage to remain competitive in the League while playing 8/10 European games until Christmas, we've made massive strides.

Having a team capable of dealing with European competition is so important to outperforming the rest of the league as well. Like we've seen this year, our squad is quite deep. In previous seasons with European football, we've struggled because when giving a rest to the 'first choice' players, we've had to field lesser players and then slipped up against the lesser lights of the league. Even in non-European years, we've struggled for squad depth when injuries and resting players have forced us into it.

I feel like just now, right back aside maybe, we've got 2 top 6 quality players in every position which is maybe the healthiest we've been in 20 years?

42 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

the only real numbers we have to go on are wages reported in official published accounts.  There needs to be some assumption becuase not all wages are spent on players but safe to assume the majority are.

now - maybe not all of the £5.3m is going on playing staff.  But a large chunk of it will be. 

Yep, found that 15.4M as well so as you say, this seems complete nonsense !  

Admins - close thread ! 😞

18 minutes ago, Cambo_Jambo said:

If we manage to remain competitive in the League while playing 8/10 European games until Christmas, we've made massive strides.

Having a team capable of dealing with European competition is so important to outperforming the rest of the league as well. Like we've seen this year, our squad is quite deep. In previous seasons with European football, we've struggled because when giving a rest to the 'first choice' players, we've had to field lesser players and then slipped up against the lesser lights of the league. Even in non-European years, we've struggled for squad depth when injuries and resting players have forced us into it.

I feel like just now, right back aside maybe, we've got 2 top 6 quality players in every position which is maybe the healthiest we've been in 20 years?

What's weid when you think about it, is last season it wasn't Europe which actually derailed us.  We had the horrendous injury list during the european campaign which really stretched us.  But into Jan/Feb, we were clear in third and Europe behind us.

So, even with the injuries, with a (imo) lower qual and less balanced squad, we did manage it.  Made a tit of it in the end, but that bit we did.

What we need to not do is rely on others being shite.  So this season no one else will get above 56 points I don't think.  I'd like to think we'll always get 60+ from now on.  But we do need to stretch this.  If Aberdeen or Hibs (haha, sorry!) get their acts together, we need to give then a big target to hit.

HopeDiouf
4 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

What's weid when you think about it, is last season it wasn't Europe which actually derailed us.  We had the horrendous injury list during the european campaign which really stretched us.  But into Jan/Feb, we were clear in third and Europe behind us.

So, even with the injuries, with a (imo) lower qual and less balanced squad, we did manage it.  Made a tit of it in the end, but that bit we did.

What we need to not do is rely on others being shite.  So this season no one else will get above 56 points I don't think.  I'd like to think we'll always get 60+ from now on.  But we do need to stretch this.  If Aberdeen or Hibs (haha, sorry!) get their acts together, we need to give then a big target to hit.

suspect fatigue/tiredness from earlier exertions was a factor

34 minutes ago, HopeDiouf said:

Yeah good point.  And the squad was decimated, lot's of factors against us.  Though, the management was the biggest factor.  Totally chucked it.  Be very very surprised if Naisy did.  Of course, we won't always be in sterling form, and there will be divesrsity, but I don't see an implosion like we did under Robbie (gc) and Elbows (tc).

And, fwiw, if we do dip under Naisy at some point, I hope we let him work through it.

kingantti1874
40 minutes ago, HopeDiouf said:

Maybe by t I suspect the players downed tools.  The Rangers game at home, when Neilson tried to make a point was the turning point 

davemclaren
1 minute ago, kingantti1874 said:

Maybe by t I suspect the players downed tools.  The Rangers game at home, when Neilson tried to make a point was the turning point 

What point was he trying to make? The midfield selections were bizarre. 

Cambo_Jambo
46 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Yeah, sorry. I was more meaning that up to now, we've all (anybody competing in Europe) had to deal with a slightly stodgy start to the season as a small group of 'good' payers weathers a fairly punishing run of 2 games a week for 2 months right at the start of the season.

Agree that we chucked it last year which was frustrating but ultimately, if we'd turned a couple of poor results like losing and drawing with Livi, drawing with Killie and Dundee Utd, we'd have had enough to get us over the line even with that collapse. 

Totally agree though, we had the squad and pretty much managed to deal with the difficulty of European football to the point we should have been looking at 3 seasons of 3rd place with nobody near us heading into a 4th season.

Cambo_Jambo
1 minute ago, Cambo_Jambo said:

Yeah, sorry. I was more meaning that up to now, we've all (anybody competing in Europe) had to deal with a slightly stodgy start to the season as a small group of 'good' payers weathers a fairly punishing run of 2 games a week for 2 months right at the start of the season.

Agree that we chucked it last year which was frustrating but ultimately, if we'd turned a couple of poor results like losing and drawing with Livi, drawing with Killie and Dundee Utd, we'd have had enough to get us over the line even with that collapse. 

Totally agree though, we had the squad and pretty much managed to deal with the difficulty of European football to the point we should have been looking at 3 seasons of 3rd place with nobody near us heading into a 4th season.

Amusingly enough, it seems to have absolutely destroyed Aberdeen and any confidence they had in their manager but I'd expect them to be absolutely raring to go at the start of next season with a (probably) new manager and no European football with a similar sized wage bill/squad that has, at least on paper, been very competitive in seasons past.

Of course, I guess it depends on how you communicate this to players that come in. If you've got a squad of guys that are coming here to showcase themselves in Europe for a season before getting a bigger move, then getting rag dolled in Europe is probably a massively demotivating factor. If you say to them 'look, we're not great in Europe because we're learning but our plan for the 3 year term of your contract is to learn, adapt then be comfortable at that level' then they can rationalise that over the time they are with us, they'll have enhanced their career prospects for that big mid to late 20's contract most of the guys who come to us are looking for.

9 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Yeah good point.  And the squad was decimated, lot's of factors against us.  Though, the management was the biggest factor.  Totally chucked it.  Be very very surprised if Naisy did.  Of course, we won't always be in sterling form, and there will be divesrsity, but I don't see an implosion like we did under Robbie (gc) and Elbows (tc).

And, fwiw, if we do dip under Naisy at some point, I hope we let him work through it.

Then he's oot. 🤪

It's inevitable that we will, though. Whether it's a few poor results in these early days or a ropey half season in the long term, I think Stevie has bought himself an enormous amount of good will and patience from the fans.

I can't wait to see how we get on at Ibrox on Saturday, how the next 3 months unfold and what may lie in store next season. 

Good times.

I haven't felt this enthused about Hearts in a long, long time.

4 minutes ago, martoon said:

Then he's oot. 🤪

It's inevitable that we will, though. Whether it's a few poor results in these early days or a ropey half season in the long term, I think Stevie has bought himself an enormous amount of good will and patience from the fans.

I can't wait to see how we get on at Ibrox on Saturday, how the next 3 months unfold and what may lie in store next season. 

Good times.

We're very different laddies!  I'm tentative about Ibrox. I usually just write off the matches against the ersecheeks, and the result doesn't bother me.  But this one, I don't want to lose the streak, but know that in all honesty, if they turn up, we're up against it.

Don't think they infallible btw, think we can get at them, but head tells me, we're needing to bounce back from a defeat.  But Hibs, Celtic at home within the next 7 days is the perfect tonic hopefully.

Hope the team more confident than me, of course!!haha.

kingantti1874
26 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

What point was he trying to make? The midfield selections were bizarre. 

absolutely bizarre Dave.  I think he was making a point to the fans who were complaining that we were too conservative, that we need to be more attacking.

i genuinely believe that selection was deliberate, that he was trying to make a point, that we were far enough ahead and it wouldn’t impact that season.  I think he was arrogant enough to believe he was untouchable. 

We could have lost 7/8 nil easily.  I think the players were embarrassed, and downed tools consciously or subconsciously it doesn’t matter.  He lost the dressing room.

kingantti1874
17 minutes ago, Cambo_Jambo said:

Amusingly enough, it seems to have absolutely destroyed Aberdeen and any confidence they had in their manager but I'd expect them to be absolutely raring to go at the start of next season with a (probably) new manager and no European football with a similar sized wage bill/squad that has, at least on paper, been very competitive in seasons past.

Of course, I guess it depends on how you communicate this to players that come in. If you've got a squad of guys that are coming here to showcase themselves in Europe for a season before getting a bigger move, then getting rag dolled in Europe is probably a massively demotivating factor. If you say to them 'look, we're not great in Europe because we're learning but our plan for the 3 year term of your contract is to learn, adapt then be comfortable at that level' then they can rationalise that over the time they are with us, they'll have enhanced their career prospects for that big mid to late 20's contract most of the guys who come to us are looking for.

Not sure Europe has impacted.   aberdeen were a team built to sit deep and hit on the counter with long balls.  They’ve been good against the old firm and in Europe.   They have lacked the players and the tactics to dominate and beat teams who are happy to give them the ball 

5 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Don't think they infallible btw, think we can get at them, but head tells me, we're needing to bounce back from a defeat.  But Hibs, Celtic at home within the next 7 days is the perfect tonic hopefully.

For once my heart and head are roughly in the same place..... I'm going draw/win/win......

Bazzas right boot

3rd, 4th, 3rd is getting there, 3rd again and that will be next level for us.

By far the most consistent we've been in 60 years.

Going forward,  more cup finals,  maybe a win and never be out the top 4. Do that and we might get in amongst the top 2, bit Staying 3rd and never being  out the top 4 would be a great base to move forward again, and we are getting there.

Watt-Zeefuik

To me the “next level” is locking ourselves in to the top 4 the way the OF have locked themselves into the top 2. I know some think that should be top 3 but the revenue gap between us and Aberdeen is effectively the same as the gap between Celtic and Rangers. Celtic are bigger but not in a different universe.

Despite the downturn last season, this will still be the best three season run we’ve had since 1960. If we make it routine, we’ve reached that “next level.” The level after this one IMO is qualifying for a European knockout round regularly.

6 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

absolutely bizarre Dave.  I think he was making a point to the fans who were complaining that we were too conservative, that we need to be more attacking.

i genuinely believe that selection was deliberate, that he was trying to make a point, that we were far enough ahead and it wouldn’t impact that season.  I think he was arrogant enough to believe he was untouchable. 

We could have lost 7/8 nil easily.  I think the players were embarrassed, and downed tools consciously or subconsciously it doesn’t matter.  He lost the dressing room.

Fully agreed. It wasn’t the form or the league position that meant he had to be fired, it was the state of the dressing room and his inability to restore trust. 

Again, we still finished fourth though, which isn’t the goal but needs to be the baseline for us now.

davemclaren
14 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Never thought of it that way. I assumed he had just had a brain fart.  

Cambo_Jambo
3 minutes ago, Watt-Zeefuik said:

To me the “next level” is locking ourselves in to the top 4 the way the OF have locked themselves into the top 2. I know some think that should be top 3 but the revenue gap between us and Aberdeen is effectively the same as the gap between Celtic and Rangers. Celtic are bigger but not in a different universe.

Despite the downturn last season, this will still be the best three season run we’ve had since 1960. If we make it routine, we’ve reached that “next level.” The level after this one IMO is qualifying for a European knockout round regularly.

Fully agreed. It wasn’t the form or the league position that meant he had to be fired, it was the state of the dressing room and his inability to restore trust. 

Again, we still finished fourth though, which isn’t the goal but needs to be the baseline for us now.

I agree strongly with the bit in bold, have to walk, jog then run.

Making top 4 our own means consistently getting a sniff of European football and the lottery that is coefficient means that sometimes we'll get into the proper stages and sometimes not but you have to get a favourable draw once we stop getting that guaranteed Conference group stage place.

Once we're regularly winning the chance to compete, it's about building a team that can actually compete. Plenty clubs in Scandinavia, Eastern Europe etc effectively have squads that are designed to always be a 'difficult draw' and maybe 1 season in three they make an appearance as a Europa group stage team.

I feel like people underestimate how much of a challenge it is to get to the position where you're the sort of clubs that, say, the German press does a story about because their 6th place club has to negotiate a 'tricky' away tie in Edinburgh.

N Lincs Jambo
23 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

We're very different laddies!  I'm tentative about Ibrox. I usually just write off the matches against the ersecheeks, and the result doesn't bother me.  But this one, I don't want to lose the streak, but know that in all honesty, if they turn up, we're up against it.

If we go back just two months though to the build-up before the tims away, most people on here were just hoping we didn't end up on the end of a 6-0 (I was one of them). I don't think our confidence level going to Parkhead in December would have been anywhere near as high as it should be this coming Saturday. Rangers are undoubtedly better than they were earlier in the season but so are we. Ref/VAR to one side I expect Saturday to be a game of chess. Sadly though I expect refereeing decisions to be the decisive factor. Hope I'm wrong. 2-1 to the Jy Tees!

2 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

Bear in mind when comparing our wage bill to Hibs, we have insourced our hospitality, catering, club shop etc, while Hibs outsource these activities, so we'll have a much bigger non-footballing wage bill than them.  Nowhere near £5m of course, but it does explain part of the reason for the large gap.

johnking123

Next level is always going to be more more money. Hotel and other such things will help. Need to get stage when we need an extra 5000 seats. That will be next level.

kingantti1874
22 minutes ago, RobNox said:

Bear in mind when comparing our wage bill to Hibs, we have insourced our hospitality, catering, club shop etc, while Hibs outsource these activities, so we'll have a much bigger non-footballing wage bill than them.  Nowhere near £5m of course, but it does explain part of the reason for the large gap.

agreed mate

3 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

Hibs list fewer employees in their accounts and pay the ones they have more than Hearts do.  

160 staff at Hibs.

276, plus 121 part-time at Hearts. 

HopeDiouf
1 hour ago, martoon said:

Then he's oot. 🤪

Good times.

I very much doubt it.  Run of bad results and he'll get the same treatment Robbie got.