Dominican Republic

That thing you do

That thing you do

I am being sent for work to the domnican republic for 2 months, starting in August.About half the time in Santo Domingo and the other half in Santiago de los Cabelleros/Puerto Plata

Has anyone been to the dominican republic and have any advice/ideas for my weekends while Im there?

Puerto Plata seems to have cable cars which seem a must do and theres plenty of beaches. I fancy going Kayaking at some point.

Never been to Dominica so looking forward to it, albeit two months in Hotels/Air BnBs is not my idea of fun.

10 minutes ago, That thing you do said:

I am being sent for work to the domnican republic for 2 months, starting in August.About half the time in Santo Domingo and the other half in Santiago de los Cabelleros/Puerto Plata

Has anyone been to the dominican republic and have any advice/ideas for my weekends while Im there?

Puerto Plata seems to have cable cars which seem a must do and theres plenty of beaches. I fancy going Kayaking at some point.

Never been to Dominica so looking forward to it, albeit two months in Hotels/Air BnBs is not my idea of fun.

Sorry. That is one place I have not yet been. Heading to Puerto Rico in 5 weeks though to start a T/A cruise ending up in Barcelona. I am sure there will be lots to occupy your weekends. Have fun!

Sooperstar
28 minutes ago, That thing you do said:

These are different countries altogether, so make sure you go to the right one. 

hughesie27
22 minutes ago, Canscot said:

Sorry. That is one place I have not yet been. Heading to Puerto Rico in 5 weeks though to start a T/A cruise ending up in Barcelona. I am sure there will be lots to occupy your weekends. Have fun!

🤣

hughesie27

Never been there in my travels yet but I'm away to Fuertaventura for Cheltenham week. Enjoy your stay.

il Duce McTarkin
3 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Never been there in my travels yet but I'm away to Fuertaventura for Cheltenham week. Enjoy your stay.

Where in Fuerteventura? I'm heading over later in the year. Much quicker to get to than the Dominican Republic.

That thing you do
15 minutes ago, il Duce McTarkin said:

Take on a local lover.

Im sure my wife would be against that..

Ill put it in the maybe column...

hughesie27
1 minute ago, il Duce McTarkin said:

Where in Fuerteventura? I'm heading over later in the year. Much quicker to get to than the Dominican Republic.

Caleta de Fuste. My GF handles holidays. I've never been but she says it's nice. 

il Duce McTarkin
5 minutes ago, That thing you do said:

Im sure my wife would be against that..

Wouldn't bet on it, tbh.

4a0e9f17653705.562bcc6498615.jpg

il Duce McTarkin
3 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Caleta de Fuste. My GF handles holidays. I've never been but she says it's nice. 

Pop into Little Havana and tell Mark he's a Hibs ******* and his team are shite.

Shanks said no

Spent 3 weeks in DR about 20 years ago. Typical AI resort. However once you break free its a beautiful country. We went out on quad bikes, with guides, and saw some of the real DR, always remember my son being shocked by the poverty. 

We also did a jeep safari but as my wife currently isnt speking to me I can't tell you much about it, think it was Jurassic Park themed. Also did catamaran stuff

We stayed in Playa Dorada just outside Puerto Plata

Edited by Shanks said no

hughesie27
2 minutes ago, il Duce McTarkin said:

Pop into Little Havana and tell Mark he's a Hibs ******* and his team are shite.

My GF is a Hibs *******. She says she's been in many times.

il Duce McTarkin
15 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

My GF is a Hibs *******. She says she's been in many times.

My point stands.

Jim_Duncan
6 hours ago, Sooperstar said:

These are different countries altogether, so make sure you go to the right one. 

:rofl:

cosanostra

I used to do some radiology work in an infectious diseases unit in Glasgow. We had patients frequently who had picked up horrific parasitic outbreaks and bacterial food and water born infections from abroad and they were nearly all recent travellers to the Dominican Republic.

I'll see as many countries as I can but that'll be one I'm in no hurry to go to. 🤢

henrysmithsgloves
5 hours ago, cosanostra said:

I used to do some radiology work in an infectious diseases unit in Glasgow. We had patients frequently who had picked up horrific parasitic outbreaks and bacterial food and water born infections from abroad and they were nearly all recent travellers to the Dominican Republic.

I'll see as many countries as I can but that'll be one I'm in no hurry to go to. 🤢

Don't think he will get much of a tan wearing this🤔

th-2180794798.jpg

5 hours ago, cosanostra said:

I went a few years ago, and the week after I got back the hotel had numerous bouts of dissentry(spelling?)

Dennis Reynolds

I was there in 2019. Lovely country and lovely people. Bit basic and run down but no so much different from other islands I've been to.

We did a lot of the cliché touristy things which were good. 4x4 off roading with very little safety gear was a rush. Catamaran tours out into the crystal clear bays etc. Went to a club called coco bongo and got absolutely blitzed one night. Again all very touristy though. Definitely plenty to see and do but wouldn't expect much fine dining.

When I was there, they didn't accept Scottish notes to exchange for dollars/pesos though. Just an fyi.

Sooperstar
1 hour ago, Mikey1874 said:

Worst road traffic deaths in world. 65 per 100,000 people compared to 3 in UK. 

Not surprised the way they fly about the pothole stricken roads with 2 people sat side-saddle behind the driver of a rickety old moped/motorbike. 

Edited by Sooperstar

Maple Leaf
18 hours ago, That thing you do said:

I was in the DR (not Dominica) for a week many years ago.  It was great, although it rained a lot.  We stayed at Puerto Plata.  Beautiful beaches, beautiful country, but lots of poverty.

It was nice, but once was enough.  There are better places in the Caribbean, imo.

PortyJambo

Friends of mine went on a package holiday to the DR and loved it. They also said they were chatting to Vanessa Feltz as she was on the sun loungers next to them most days so, for that reason, it was crossed off my potential holiday destinations :lol:

*Tbf, they did say she was a nice person to chat to...

5 hours ago, Dennis Reynolds said:

I was there in 2019. Lovely country and lovely people. Bit basic and run down but no so much different from other islands I've been to.

We did a lot of the cliché touristy things which were good. 4x4 off roading with very little safety gear was a rush. Catamaran tours out into the crystal clear bays etc. Went to a club called coco bongo and got absolutely blitzed one night. Again all very touristy though. Definitely plenty to see and do but wouldn't expect much fine dining.

When I was there, they didn't accept Scottish notes to exchange for dollars/pesos though. Just an fyi.

To be honest It would surprise me greatly of Scottish notes can be exchanges anywhere in the world. They are legal tender only in Scotland. Arse wipe anywhere else.  

That thing you do
1 hour ago, PortyJambo said:

Friends of mine went on a package holiday to the DR and loved it. They also said they were chatting to Vanessa Feltz as she was on the sun loungers next to them most days so, for that reason, it was crossed off my potential holiday destinations :lol:

*Tbf, they did say she was a nice person to chat to...

Ill need to know which beach that was so I can avoid it! lol

Japan Jambo
16 minutes ago, Canscot said:

To be honest It would surprise me greatly of Scottish notes can be exchanges anywhere in the world. They are legal tender only in Scotland. Arse wipe anywhere else.  

Trying them on a London cabbie is a tough enough sell...

25 minutes ago, Japan Jambo said:

Trying them on a London cabbie is a tough enough sell...

I think we had trouble a couple of years ago with a cabbie from Edinburgh airport to my sisters in Juniper Green. He would not take paper money. It had to be “New notes” (I think the plastic ones). My sister said he had no right to refuse he just didn’t want to be bothered having to take them out of circulation and exchange them at a bank. ( or something like that)

Japan Jambo
18 minutes ago, Canscot said:

I think we had trouble a couple of years ago with a cabbie from Edinburgh airport to my sisters in Juniper Green. He would not take paper money. It had to be “New notes” (I think the plastic ones). My sister said he had no right to refuse he just didn’t want to be bothered having to take them out of circulation and exchange them at a bank. ( or something like that)

Think a lot of expats/tourists will have been caught out by this. When they changed out the notes for a while you could do it at any branch but a wee while after banks stopped taking them and it had to be specifically at the bank of England itself. Related to this;

https://www.bankofengland.co.uk/news/2022/september/one-week-left-to-use-your-paper-20-and-50-banknotes#:~:text=The Bank of England will,accepting these banknotes as payment.

AlphonseCapone
3 hours ago, Canscot said:

So like essentially every currency in the world bar a couple of exceptions.