Strikers

Pingu

Whether Shankland stays or goes, I think a striker should be a priority for the summer. Tagawa probably isn't going to make it, Boyce may not be back to his best, and Vargas (if he stays) isn't an out and out number 9, imo. We need a backup / understudy for Shankland or a replacement if he leaves.

So...who should we be looking at? Who's available on a pre-contract? Who would be an exciting loan addition? Or who might we get for a realistic fee?  This isn't about rumours, tips, or ITK revelations. This is a thread for JKB's many amateur scouts!

I'll start with:

Noah Botic. Highly rated 22 year old, 6 ft Aussie. Came to Europe with Hoffenheim as a teenager and was linked with some huge clubs. Back in Australia now and has 4 goal in 7 appearances for the U23s. Would require a fee.

John Findlay
14 minutes ago, Pingu said:

Whether Shankland stays or goes, I think a striker should be a priority for the summer. Tagawa probably isn't going to make it, Boyce may not be back to his best, and Vargas (if he stays) isn't an out and out number 9, imo. We need a backup / understudy for Shankland or a replacement if he leaves.

So...who should we be looking at? Who's available on a pre-contract? Who would be an exciting loan addition? Or who might we get for a realistic fee?  This isn't about rumours, tips, or ITK revelations. This is a thread for JKB's many amateur scouts!

I'll start with:

Noah Botic. Highly rated 22 year old, 6 ft Aussie. Came to Europe with Hoffenheim as a teenager and was linked with some huge clubs. Back in Australia now and has 4 goal in 7 appearances for the U23s. Would require a fee.

Maybe in pre-season the coaching staff will assess and decide someone like Mackenzie Kirk is ready for the first team?

Borders Jambo
11 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Maybe in pre-season the coaching staff will assess and decide someone like Mackenzie Kirk is ready for the first team?

I think Kirk unfortunately may have a bit to go.He doesn’t seem to be getting much of a chance on his loan and I thought he may end up this season at somewhere like St J given who is in charge there and there need for a goal scorer.

I hope he makes it but not sure.

7 minutes ago, andrew said:

Vargas will be a star for us next season.

Yes, think so.  Mind you, I'm coming round the idea of not using that term. I think your gk, plus perhaps only 2 or 3 others are "starters", and the rest need to come in and out (not 8 at a time, but you get my drift).  We could have c. 55 games next season.

But yes Vargas moves out of the settling/developing bracket into "relied upon" status.

To the OP, I agree, we feel one short up there.  Of course Boycie being out and who knows how he'll return doesn't help.  I'm not writing Tagawa off just yet.  It does feel likely the lad himself my want a move in the summer... but I also think there's something there and he could be a good player.  Perhaps suit European games well?  Bit more tactical and technical...

While it'd be great to see Mak Kirk get a shot, I'm not sure it'd be right to rely on the lad as a 1st teamer, he needs to do like Tait and Denholm, build up minutes, take chances when they come.  Same Wilson, I guess.

In summer, before anyone we don't expect leaves, I think we're probably an RB and a CF short.  Anything else a bonus, really.  Do feel there will be movement out the way though.

tiger Rudi
20 minutes ago, andrew said:

Vargas will be a star for us next season.

This is where I'm at. He can play wide or thru the middle.

If Shankland stays, any new striker is going to find himself in the same situation as Tagawa. Giving Kirk some minutes wouldn't be a bad shout. Least then we can make a judgement on whether he's going to make it with us or not. 

feedthefox

We need a bit of a unit up top someone who can push defenders about, goals aside Shankland is a strong lad and real handful. Likes of Kenny and Oda will offer pace, trickery and chip in with goals but I still like someone who takes no shit up top something we won't have IF Shanks moves on.

hmfc_liam06

If we can keep the squad in tact then a RB is the priority for me, followed by a striker.

Hopefully we don’t need to do much business this summer.

upgotheheads

Dominant strikers are great but leave us vulnerable to injury. I would rather have two or three strikers good for 10-15 goals a season than one who will get us 20-30. Ideally of course it would be great to have both.

Looking at Vargas he could easily be a 20-goal striker, and ODA has looked as if he's developing again after a bit of a hiatus. if we can get Tagawa to perform then maybe that will be the answer to our problems, not forgetting that Shanks is ours next season if we choose to keep him.

AlimOzturk

What Oda does brilliant is win the ball high up the park. Think he would perfect foil in a striker role. 

Victorian

Vargas,  Forrest,  Dhanda,  McKay(?),  Oda,  Boyce(?) all in support of someone.  Tons of options and permutations.  Just have a get the right No9.  It would be somewhat unrealistic to expect a like-for-like replacement.  Nobody could be that lucky.

1 hour ago, Jeff said:

Simms would be worth a shout if Shankland was sold

I agree, An older more experienced Simms would be a great addition. I think him and Vargas would be great together as well as working with Forrest, Oda, McKay etc.

Wouldn't get the same amount of goals but I think he would provide the space for others to compensate. 

johnking123

Striker wise. We should still get a good few million for shanks if/when he goes. Most of that will have to used to attract another striker. Maybe look at South/central America again, africa or Asia. 

joondalupjambo
1 hour ago, Victorian said:

Vargas,  Forrest,  Dhanda,  McKay(?),  Oda,  Boyce(?) all in support of someone.  Tons of options and permutations.  Just have a get the right No9.  It would be somewhat unrealistic to expect a like-for-like replacement.  Nobody could be that lucky.

Have a feeling, not in the know just a feeling that Barrie may go in the summer.

gar jambo
1 hour ago, Jeff said:

Simms would still cost 3 million he's on a contact 2! He cost Coventry 6 million! How do we pay his wages! 

Tokyo Drifter
3 hours ago, Pingu said:

I'll start with:

I think Oda, played more centrally, could do a job if he was paired with the right player. Tagawa has been a huge disappointment but it's up to the club to get him playing as much as it's up to him to take the opportunities offered. 

4 hours ago, Pingu said:

I'll start with:

I think Vargas is a number 9 to be honest. 
Scores when played through the middle. 
Boyce is not in the same league as shanks so no way that’s an option. 
Shanks will 100% be gone in summer so we definitely need a good striker. 

Chuck Berry
4 hours ago, Pingu said:

I'll start with:

He's barely scored for Western United in the AL and is already 22.  Nah.

ollie2004
2 hours ago, Jeff said:

Did Coventry not pay out something like £6 - 8 million for him?

Stendelnator
2 minutes ago, indianajones said:

Theo Blair should be on the list. 

I’ll crack the jokes. An absolute donkey 

hmfc_liam06
3 minutes ago, indianajones said:

List of players we should be going nowhere near?

Hopefully Shanks runs his contract down.

Would rather have him next season than money in the bank.

He's irreplaceable.

henrysmithsgloves
4 minutes ago, Homme said:

He's irreplaceable.

No one's bigger than the team 😞, I'm sure they have irons in the fire😎

PapaShango

We've lost plenty players over the years, some just as good as Shanks and we will find someone else to take on the number 9 shirt. Will be a tough act to follow but got to put faith in the recruitment team to get someone in. I'm with some others, would rather he left for free and we had him all next season. His goals alone are worth millions to this side. 

Edited by PapaShango

innerjambo

If Shanks goes in the summer, or gets injured, we would really struggle. 

Boyce cannot be relied on anymore unfortunately. Both injuries and age are against him. Vargas may turn out to be prolific, who knows at this stage. We definitely need another striker regardless. And he needs to be very good.

gnasher75
41 minutes ago, Chuck Berry said:

Let's just keep Shanks.

34 minutes ago, Homme said:

He's irreplaceable.

Correct!

Keep him and challenge for the title.

If he leaves at the end of his contract, fair enough.

JimmyCant
57 minutes ago, indianajones said:

Indeed but he’s probably in the 7 figure fee bracket now depending on his contract 

I’d take a look at Keiron Bowie as well. Young Scottish Fulham u23 player doing well on loan in league 1. Used to be at Raith. Probably more of a wide player and we’ve got a few of those but Scotland under 21’s have played him right up front and he’s scored a few 

Edited by JimmyCant

jambo mark

I think Shankland will be here next year. Neither of the old firm will pony up £5m and he’s worth more to us than anything below that value.

We’re not going to get another 20+ goal striker, so I suspect we’ll need two options to rotate who can get get 12-15 goals. 

I’d take Van Veen on a two year deal as one of them. 

Edited by jambo mark

Victorian

I like Boyce but he tends to miss the chances that Shankland makes look easy.  The better Shankland finishes are a level beyond Boyce.  He's also nowhere near Shankland for strength and the ability to turn players.  Shankland has amazing feet to control or work the ball into shooting position.  

Drylaw Hearts

Just don’t sell Shankland…..We will never get the money he’s worth to us.

But we definitely need to add 2 more strikers…..someone in the mould of Roman Bednar and an upgrade on Vargas whilst he continues to gain experience.

2 minutes ago, Jim_Duncan said:

A 7 foot battering ram to smash the huddiest of defenders, please. 

NINTCHDBPICT0004796465811.jpg

3 minutes ago, Jim_Duncan said:

One that can trap a bag of cement, but. 

FFS. Typical football fan. Wants everything. :biggrin2:

Jim_Duncan
Just now, Bauld said:

FFS. Typical football fan. Wants everything. :biggrin2:

You want me to post that bit of touchdown magic he produced at McDiarmid Park in the 3-3 game… :pinch:

JimmyCant
13 minutes ago, Drylaw Hearts said:

Just don’t sell Shankland…..We will never get the money he’s worth to us.

But we definitely need to add 2 more strikers…..someone in the mould of Roman Bednar and an upgrade on Vargas whilst he continues to gain experience.

Vargas is going to be a sensational player for us. I’ll wager he makes more money for us than Shankland (in transfer fees)

Takeshi kovac
6 hours ago, Pingu said:

I'll start with:

Agree we do need another CF but Vargas is defo an out and out Striker and will be a great player for us in that position

Would love Tagawa to come good but think he will be away at the end of the season,  apparently a few clubs looking at him.

If Shankland goes (please no 🙏) we could be looking at 3 forwards needed post season 

13 hours ago, Stendelnator said:

I’ll crack the jokes. An absolute donkey 

Less career goals than Shankland has this season and yet people think he's the answer 🙈

18 hours ago, Pingu said:

I'll start with:

Botic has potential for sure. If we're continuing our raid on the Aleague i'd be tempted to look at Polish striker Oskar Zawada, 6f4 just turned 28. 20 goals in his last 33 games for Pheonix who are top of the league, looks a handful every time i've seen him too.

John Findlay
2 hours ago, jamb-oz said:

Nisbet not getting much game time at Millwall 👀

He has a bad hamstring injury at present. Touch and go if he will play again this season.