Which do you prefer……

This is My Story Podcast

This is My Story Podcast

…..a fast start or a fast end 👀

Loads of people loved the Burley days, myself included. We blew teams away in the opening 20 to 30 minutes. Thankfully by the time the 70th/80th minutes came, we’d built up a hefty lead that we could cling onto. People often forget how much we gassed out during those exciting days. 

Now under Naisy, we are notoriously slower out the blocks. Most of our goals come from minute 50th onwards. We are now ending games looking more and more likely to score more goals. On Saturday, after the opening goal, we could’ve added to our tally easily. If the game had lasted 10 more minutes, I’d have been willing to wager we’d have scored a few more. That’s often been the case this season OR during this run of form to be more exact. Ross County at home, had that went on 10 more minutes we’d have won. If Dundee at home had went on longer we’d have scored more. 

So the question is this. What do you prefer? 

heatonjambo

Do we start slower or is Naismith assessing what’s happening then making the required switch?

bit like foreplay 😀

This is My Story Podcast
4 minutes ago, heatonjambo said:

Do we start slower or is Naismith assessing what’s happening then making the required switch?

bit like foreplay 😀

He likes to tease us……

Mr Sifter

Much prefer a fast start. Oot the blocks like a whippet, shoot yer tattie after a quality half hour, knowin that it’s game over whether the other team like it or not 😊

PapaShango

I like a fast start so I'm not a nervous wreck for the remainder of the game! However, not much tops a last minute winner in a derby! 

Fast start is a bit of a myth imo, it’s great being 2-0 up at halftime but if half the teams blowing out their arses by minute 60 then it gives the opposition a chance to get back into the game and we end up begging for the final whistle. Also if you hit your best shot early on & don’t get in front then most of the time you’ll be out of ideas before long, then the crowd get restless, then players start to panic.

I think we’re playing it well right now, we’re ending games as the team on top & very rarely under any late pressure for a comeback rather than on the ropes as we’ve seen all too often.

Good questions... for me its heart v head answer.  In my heart I loved the Burley time as we bossed teams. But after he got sacked I knew in my head that things were not sustanable. 

So with hindsite I would take what we have now. 

27 minutes ago, This is My Story Podcast said:

Loads of people loved the Burley days, myself included. We blew teams away in the opening 20 to 30 minutes. Thankfully by the time the 70th/80th minutes came, we’d built up a hefty lead that we could cling onto. People often forget how much we gassed out during those exciting days. 

Now under Naisy, we are notoriously slower out the blocks. Most of our goals come from minute 50th onwards. We are now ending games looking more and more likely to score more goals. On Saturday, after the opening goal, we could’ve added to our tally easily. If the game had lasted 10 more minutes, I’d have been willing to wager we’d have scored a few more. That’s often been the case this season OR during this run of form to be more exact. Ross County at home, had that went on 10 more minutes we’d have won. If Dundee at home had went on longer we’d have scored more. 

It is a really good question . Even the fact that we can compare our current run to Burleys blows my mind a little , but it is legitimate 

I preferred the rip roaring start to the 2005/6 season . Early fast starts to games and the season its self . It felt like we were scoring goals after just four or five touches and the opposition not even touching it . Brellier to Hartley , to Skacel to Hartley to either Janny or Bednar - goal 

Was our opening game of that season not away to Killie ? Possibly Naismith ( who scored to take the lead against us ) first season as a regular starter for them ? We went on to put four past them after that

It was such an exciting season at the start and the momentum was not being stopped by anyone except ourselves , which ultimately was what happened 

This season was a bit shit at the start Rosenborg aside imo . So this run has been a complete turnaround for me 

In answer to the question , currently 2005 for me , but ask me again at the end of the season 

Edited by Sooks

Australis

Prefer us on our toes for the full 90 minutes.

If I said to my boss I'm going to go through the motions for the first 4 hours and graft a bit on the 2nd 4, I would be out the door.

Like in most places, especially with the wages they are all on.

Been great 2nd half's, but lucky not to be behind more after some of our first half efforts.

Go on, give us a full 90, we deserve it.

A faster start settles the nerves quicker.

The problem with leaving it until the end is teams are more than happy to sit in and force us into a more risky approach to just getting the ball into the back of the net.

I would prefer to be 2-0 up with 10 to play than needing 2 goals to win a game in the last 10 minutes, even if it was equally likely to happen.

JimmyCant
37 minutes ago, This is My Story Podcast said:

I’ve only just realised we’re doing it deliberately (starting slow and steady and getting control) I’m not sure I’m fully on board with it  because it takes baws to know you can bring on pace and change gear to win, even from behind. 

I don’t think we’re capable of blowing teams away in the first half hour anyway and what we do seems to work very effectively. We certainly

look capable of blowing teams away in the last half hour when they haven’t got as much gas left as they started with. 

Dunno, we’ll get seriously undone one day then it’ll be time to discuss I suppose

erskinehearts

maybe we’re using the “rope a dope “ tactics, inviting the opposition onto us,tiring them out then using our superior strength and energy to finish them off later in the game.

John Findlay
34 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Really don't care provided we win

Is the correct answer.

Bull's-eye

We do start quickly.

First 10 minutes we go toe to toe and usually look decent, then the intensity in midfield especially drops a fair bit. We then go into Robbieball mode and try and keep possession as much as possible.

Its clearly a tactic and reliant on the Substitutes being happy to play a bit part in the game and coming on to lift the intensity. Thats good man management and hopefully it continues to bear fruit.

August Landmesser

A good end is better, no-one ever got three points at HT.

Chuck Berry

I prefer the Burley era fast start, but I'd just settle for actually scoring first half these days.

Bindy Badgy
40 minutes ago, boag1874 said:

Fast start is a bit of a myth imo, it’s great being 2-0 up at halftime but if half the teams blowing out their arses by minute 60 then it gives the opposition a chance to get back into the game and we end up begging for the final whistle. Also if you hit your best shot early on & don’t get in front then most of the time you’ll be out of ideas before long, then the crowd get restless, then players start to panic.

New Year's Day against Celtic springs to mind.

1 hour ago, This is My Story Podcast said:

Just wait until you see the added time at Ibrox. You may get your wish 😂

I think you have hit the nail on the head with the fast end comment. Teams are setting up with a really low block against us at home so it's difficult to break them down. We are trying to move the ball quickly first half and play in between the lines but it's harder to create chances when teams are defending and able to close down.

Come the second half however, particularly in the last half hour, teams get tired and our fast end kicks in. The amount of times a combination of Oda/Vargas/Forrest come off the bench and make a real impact when we go more attacking against teams who are tiring makes it really difficult to stop us. Just simply pushing the ball up the wing and running at full backs has a major impact and we are really using our squad to great effect. There is no absolute preference on a first 11, our whole squad is making meaningful contributions whether you start or not. That is why it looks a very happy group at the club right now.

Edited by Jodami

Benny Klack
1 hour ago, heatonjambo said:

bit like foreplay 😀

Naisy prefers “tantric football” 😂

Valois No1

I prefer a faster start but I’ve seen us do that under old regimes and still get beat. The end result is what matters and we’re doing great right now. We do need to score more in the first half though as the stats are quite bad on that front

Thunder and Lightning

Games are not won in the first half.  I believe we plan for the full 90 mins, including when to make changes if the initial take isn't working.

We set out to play our game and then move to more aggressive tactics when (if) required.  The team is selected this way as well.  Players many want to start don't simply because the plan is to utilise the full squad to either frustrate the opposition or to wear them down when we change personnel and tactics to finish off a frustrated or tired team. 

Thought Police

As a Gorgie stand ST holder I feel I'm getting good value this season.

Go for it 1308

I prefer the 'SAS style'. In and out, before they know what's happened. Much like when I'm shagging my Mrs 🙂

43 minutes ago, Bindy Badgy said:

Turning point in that game was the Fyssas sending off. (Later rescinded, after the damage had been done, of course).

CloustonHMFC

Fast start or fast end is a faux pas argument. Football is a 90 minute game, a game of two halves if you will. The performance over the whole of 90 minutes is what matters and as long as we come out on top by the time the final whistle blow all is well.

Heartsofgold
1 hour ago, erskinehearts said:

maybe we’re using the “rope a dope “ tactics, inviting the opposition onto us,tiring them out then using our superior strength and energy to finish them off later in the game.

I've been thinking this for a number of weeks now.  I think we look fitter than we have for the last couple of years.  Maybe this tactic is something that's coming into play more.

6 minutes ago, CloustonHMFC said:

Fast start or fast end is a faux pas argument. Football is a 90 minute game, a game of two halves if you will. The performance over the whole of 90 minutes is what matters and as long as we come out on top by the time the final whistle blow all is well.

It only matters that we score more goals than the other team. The current style, we win games in the second half, as long as we win I'm happy

Bongo 1874

Our intensity and press has massively improved,and it's something we have been working on to get right.

We are a possession based team that tries to win the ball high up the pitch,and then break into attacks from there.

Intensity is our identity 

The fans need to buy in,this is our philosophy long term.

We Press ,We Work Hard of the ball to regain it.

That's what the fans expect a team that works hard,and is committed for each other.

100% given and we will support you ever more.

You don't have 71% Possession if you are a shit team,that's old firm like numbers.

Long term we need to persuade our striker to stay,it's going to be very hard. 

Then try and get 2/3 quality players like him again very hard.

Naismiths style of play is very like Stendel, and his team were getting beat 1-0 yesterday at home only to come back and win 2-1 sound familiar?

The style of play,the mindset and mentality stays the same.

So when Naismith goes if he does,this allows a smooth transition and every player knows what is required.

I'm very determined and want the best Hearts,you guys deserve it.

You truly are amazing 👏.

BelgeJambo
2 hours ago, heatonjambo said:

bit like foreplay 😀

I listened to Clements interview yesterday and this is also his philosophy.  Take the time to assess and then change accordingly if needed .  Pitch at Perth shite, so they went direct.

spacerjoe
1 hour ago, Bull's-eye said:

We do start quickly.

First 10 minutes we go toe to toe and usually look decent, then the intensity in midfield especially drops a fair bit. We then go into Robbieball mode and try and keep possession as much as possible.

Its clearly a tactic and reliant on the Substitutes being happy to play a bit part in the game and coming on to lift the intensity. Thats good man management and hopefully it continues to bear fruit.

Yeah agree - there is a pattern to our phases of play.

It probably suits the talent we have at our disposal better to wear teams down a bit.

Burley's team is not even comparable. Only Shankland would get into that team and even then he'd have a battle with Bednar and Jankauskas for a starting spot.

2 hours ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Really don't care provided we win

Pretty much this I'd say.

I remember the burley days and it was superb watching us blow teams away in the first 30 mins but I always found the second half of the game was a bit flat as we didn't do much more and saw the game out.

The way we are playing now can be frustrating to watch for a while and we can live on the edge but then once we suss out games we are looking so comfortable and rarely troubled.

Sorry for the egg-chasing comparison but the way the current Ireland team are playing, folk talk about them problem-solving as the game goes on and therefore their responses are so much quicker. Hearts are playing like that the now, and we adapt so much better than we have in the past.

So aye, what Geoff said. Except more words.

1 hour ago, Bindy Badgy said:

Thats the one that always stands out aye, brilliant first half then completely out on our feet the second 

Wee Mikey

"Just as it looked like Rangers were down and out" ...

... then ...

... SOW ...

BAMMM ...

🤣🤣🤣

Victorian

Jim Jeffries 1997/8 was the earlier version of the fast start team.  Quite a few 1st half pastings.

Wee Mikey
1 hour ago, Thunder and Lightning said:

Games are not won in the first half.  I believe we plan for the full 90 mins, including when to make changes if the initial take isn't working.

We set out to play our game and then move to more aggressive tactics when (if) required.  The team is selected this way as well.  Players many want to start don't simply because the plan is to utilise the full squad to either frustrate the opposition or to wear them down when we change personnel and tactics to finish off a frustrated or tired team. 

Well put. 👍

1 hour ago, August Landmesser said:

A good end is better, no-one ever got three points at HT.

Selfish , not prepared to put in the foreplay eh

GorgieFifeLife

We can’t keep starting slowly as eventually someone will put us to bed in the first 30 mins and there will be no way back.

Just now, GorgieFifeLife said:

We can’t keep starting slowly as eventually someone will put us to bed in the first 30 mins and there will be no way back.

Your lot need to learn how to start AND end well mate 

Wee Mikey
1 hour ago, Thought Police said:

As a Gorgie stand ST holder I feel I'm getting good value this season.

🤣🤣🤣

We LOVED our behind the goals STs.

You'll have had a great view of this:-

What a splendid photo of Shanks getting the better of big Mugabi.

Screenshot_20240219_134402_Gallery.jpg

GorgieFifeLife
6 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Your lot need to learn how to start AND end well mate 

How original🙌

Aren’t most games won in the second half anyway. I think this start slowly nonsense is a bit of a myth. I can accept there has been games where we weren’t great in the first half but that doesn’t mean we have started slowly. In fact a lot of games we have had a great first 10 mins or so but haven’t scored. It also gives no thought to the opposition or their game plan. A lot of teams home and away get players behind the ball and try to frustrate us. SN has made it crystal clear that he tells the players to stick to the plan and we will create the chances. Logically this comes in the latter stages when the opposition can’t maintain there levels and we have a strong bench to come on. We don’t start slowly we are just patient knowing the chances will come. 

Just now, GorgieFifeLife said:

Only if we make silly mistakes or let ourselves get caught napping. We have done that on occasion but it’s not like it’s happening every week, we’re just playing safe first half and not really taking many risks which is fine 

Wee Mikey
10 minutes ago, GorgieFifeLife said:

We didn't start slowly.

Two teams on the pitch, remember?

One was sitting back playing 5-4-1, and the other was probing.

Screenshot_20240219_135241_Google.jpg