Our form

jamborich

jamborich

Been a jambo for sixty years obviously seen high and lows but what do you think of this current squad I’m buzzing believe we have the potential to take us forward and challenge the big two 

Edited by jamborich

jamborich
2 minutes ago, jamborich said:

Been a jambo for sixty years obviously seen high and lows but what do you think of this current squad I’m buzzing believe we have the potential to take us forward and challenge the big two 

Can I just add maybe not this year but nothing to fear now

Thumperbeni

I would be delighted if we finished the season single digit points behind either of the arse cheeks, that’s about as realistic as we can be if truth be told. I don’t think we could ever sustain a genuine challenge as they will both strengthen in the summer, we also will no doubt lose players in the coming months/years and will find it extremely hard to replace a certain player who let’s be honest isn’t going to be here forever. Let’s just enjoy the ride and hope we can achieve winning the Scottish cup which is a more realistic goal. 

tartofmidlothian

I have faith in Naismith to build a strong, entertaining squad capable of getting into Europe and pushing hard in the cups each year, but as and when Shankland leaves is when the x-factor that's making us look more like an Old Firm team goes. Enjoy it while we can.

Unfortunately, we'll probably have group stage European football to deal with on top of the league schedule. 

Just need to look at the last time we were there and Aberdeen, to show juggling both competitions isn't easy with squads like ours. 

Perhaps we should field our B-team in Europe while we push for the title. 

Unfortunately, we are likely to lose Shankland in the summer so it'll be very difficult to maintain our form without his goals.

Unless we've got an even better striker lined up to replace him

John Findlay
3 hours ago, jamborich said:

If we had a level playing field, but alas we don't.

RedStarRiot
24 minutes ago, Sarah O said:

Unfortunately, we'll probably have group stage European football to deal with on top of the league schedule. 

Just need to look at the last time we were there and Aberdeen, to show juggling both competitions isn't easy with squads like ours. 

We handled it far better than Aberdeen. We should have still finished 3rd last season. 

7 minutes ago, RedStarRiot said:

We handled it far better than Aberdeen. We should have still finished 3rd last season. 

We want to be pushing for the title next season. 

It's going to be hellish hard with a Europa League final to contend with too. 

Jim_Duncan
40 minutes ago, Sarah O said:

I would like to think that we learn lessons from last year plus Aberdeen’s travails and, perhaps, maybe a little bit of planning is being done behind the scenes already (like keeping both keepers happy, offering Shankland a massive contract, Scott Fraser coming in, etc). 

Finlay James

If we come out of the next 3 fixtures with a minimum of 5 points, we can absolutely look up the way.  Rodgers is not the force he once was and if we can get to single digits on them this season, we have done brilliantly.

If we don’t win any of the next 3 games, we await the usual muppets call for Naisy’ head.  Fickle times to be a Jambo.

Phil D. Corners

I’m really happy about how things are going, but my focus is still on beating the rest consistently for 3rd place. 

Benny Klack
27 minutes ago, Phil D. Corners said:

I’m really happy about how things are going, but my focus is still on beating the rest consistently for 3rd place. 

Would agree - any talk of pushing for the title is fanciful at this stage. Both Rangers and Celtic have been  uncharacteristically poor in spells this season and the rest of the teams have been pish.

Id be happy to secure 3rd spot consistently and build up European money as a start. 

We’re on a great run but let’s not get carried away.

(That said, if we win the next 3 games the league is ours next season 😎)

Ricardo Quaresma
2 hours ago, Benny Klack said:

Would agree - any talk of pushing for the title is fanciful at this stage. Both Rangers and Celtic have been  uncharacteristically poor in spells this season and the rest of the teams have been pish.

I'd be happy to secure 3rd spot consistently and build up European money as a start

We’re on a great run but let’s not get carried away.

(That said, if we win the next 3 games the league is ours next season 😎)

Absolutely, but the coefficient points are also paramount; Hearts need to keep getting 4-6 points each Season, to target pot 2 in the Conference League

We don't know what the picture is going to look like in Europe the Season after next; Scotland will drop a huge 8.500 score at the end, after already dropping a recent record 9.750, done when there was only 4 Scottish teams to divide the points haul, now there are 5 dividing that number

The best thing for Scottish Football in the rest of this campaign, is that the Czech teams overtake us and Scotland is pushed down to 11th or even 12th; there are 3 Czech teams in Europe, only 1 Scottish team

This way, both OF are prevented from CL GS, 1 would go into the PO round, one into the 2nd round of Qualifying

This means if the Champions (I'm assuming we don't batter into 2nd or win the Title :) ) get Eliminated they go into EL GS and 2nd place reach CL PO or EL PO, then we'll still have 3 teams scoring well in 3 competitions, plus the chance of killie reaching EL PO, starting from Q2 in the EL, then they'll reach the Conference League GS minimum

That's assuming we get 3rd, killie 4th and we sort out the Scottish Cup angle

Scotland would be in a much better position then to maintain the 11th or 12th ranking from there, keeping 3 GS spots, minimum

If we keep 10th, then the Champions of Scotland will be in the CL GS and will make a Royal arse of it again, like the last 2 years and we will drop down, costing us (Hearts) the 3rd GS spot in the EL / Conference League

Gorgiewave

After our good season in 1985-86 we finished 5th; 2nd in 1987-88 and 6th in 1988-89; 2nd in 1991-92, 5th in 1992-93; 3rd and a Cup in 1997-98, 6th in 1998-99; 2nd and a Cup in 2005-06, 4th in 2006-07.

Tynecastle Valhalla

We should have one last go at renewing shanklands contract and offer him a bit more.

if he doesn’t sign it then just play him next season knowing he will score bucket loads and leave for free

have a full year to line up a replacement (or two)

beni on a new contract is another important one even if a years extension 

other than that the defence looks solid and our wingers are chipping in 

bring in a few quality replacements and ditch the likes of haring 

If we finish within single digits of 2nd, this will be a huge season.

If we win the next three games, we may as well go for it as we'll have to play the OF again in the split.

I am very excited for next season in any event!

Nothing wrong with dreaming about a title challenge but 3rd and winning a cup (or two like St Johnstone) is more realistic. Unfortunately, Shankland is off either in the summer or the end of next season. He can set himself up for life with one big move and there’s nothing the club can offer him to match that. Goal scorers like him are not easy to replace but that’s why we have a recruitment team so let’s see how it goes and meanwhile enjoy the rest of this season. 

4 hours ago, Hansel said:

Unfortunately, we are likely to lose Shankland in the summer so it'll be very difficult to maintain our form without his goals.

Unless we've got an even better striker lined up to replace him

They are out there. If pish like Aberdeen can attract guys  like Miovski, then we can. We just need to get our recruitment spot on.

TexasAndy

I think overall we have the structure in place to really kick on as a club.  We have built a good squad and we have cash to add quality to it.  Of course we are never going to match the uglies for size but we can give ourselves the best possible chance while distancing ourselves from the rest.  It's a great time to be a Jambo.

Valois No1

Keep Shankland and improve in one or two areas and I genuinely think we have a team to compete for the league. Unfortunately Shankland will be gone and we can never replace that. We got so lucky with him. Great striker. 

Edited by Valois No1
Bad wording

The next fortnight will tell us how close we can get this season.  If we are anywhere less than 15 points behind come game 38, it's a BIG step forward imo.  3rd is done, we can close that concern.  No one else is getting 56+ points.  We have 51 with 12 to play.

First aim, for me, should be to get 70+.

If we beat or even draw with either of the OF in the next week, trying to close that gap (11 and 13 at mo), could become realistic.  Ridiculously unrealistic, but if we beat Celtic and they have a wee collapse, it'd be fun to have a chase at them.

They're away to Motherwell, home to Dundee, while we have away at Rangers, home to Hibs.  You'd feel we need to match their results in those games, go in 11 behind, with chance of reducing to 8 to make it squeaky for them.  As I say, perhaps a massive stretch, but could get fun if they implode a little.

On the cautious side, our support need to brace themselves for a defeat at Ibrox.  Could be a damp squib moment, but won't take away a single thing from our run of form or our current points total, which is excellent.

Benny Klack
1 hour ago, Gorgiewave said:

After our good season in 1985-86 we finished 5th; 2nd in 1987-88 and 6th in 1988-89; 2nd in 1991-92, 5th in 1992-93; 3rd and a Cup in 1997-98, 6th in 1998-99; 2nd and a Cup in 2005-06, 4th in 2006-07.

I think we’ve kind of had “good season” then “bad season” since I started following Hearts nearly 50 years ago 😀