Hearts v Motherwell - 47 Years Apart

Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald

I was sitting watching yesterday's game, and my mind wandered to another game against Motherwell at Tynecaste, a completely different mood, moment and era. I was 10 years old, but remember it very clearly, the last home game of the season in 1976/77, a 3-2 home win. We'd been relegated a few weeks earlier, our first ever relagation, and it was a desperate time. A 6214 crowd, a mood of defiance more than anything in the shed across from the main stand, but this was the beginning of some rank rotten seasons, until my namesake, Sandy Jardine and Wallace Mercer led the club forward together in 82/83. 

47 years later, and I'm watching the same opponents in front of a sell out crowd, in an all seated, all covered stadium, with a hotel in the main stand, with Hearts winning their 8th game in a row, and 12th unbeaten with Scotland's top scorer scoring again. Anything can happen in the weeks and months ahead, but let's just sit back and savour this run while we can. Naismith, his coaching team, and the players aren't getting the credit they deserve. To the MSM, we're just a one man team, and their clueless OF-obsessed ignorance should be used to motivate the team and the support. We're living through some dire times domestically and internationally, but Hearts are giving us some tangible happiness and optimism, so credit where it's due, and thanks to everyone who's made this run happen.

54 minutes ago, Alex MacDonald said:

I was sitting watching yesterday's game, and my mind wandered to another game against Motherwell at Tynecaste, a completely different mood, moment and era. I was 10 years old, but remember it very clearly, the last home game of the season in 1976/77, a 3-2 home win. We'd been relegated a few weeks earlier, our first ever relagation, and it was a desperate time. A 6214 crowd, a mood of defiance more than anything in the shed across from the main stand, but this was the beginning of some rank rotten seasons, until my namesake, Sandy Jardine and Wallace Mercer led the club forward together in 82/83. 

47 years later, and I'm watching the same opponents in front of a sell out crowd, in an all seated, all covered stadium, with a hotel in the main stand, with Hearts winning their 8th game in a row, and 12th unbeaten with Scotland's top scorer scoring again. Anything can happen in the weeks and months ahead, but let's just sit back and savour this run while we can. Naismith, his coaching team, and the players aren't getting the credit they deserve. To the MSM, we're just a one man team, and their clueless OF-obsessed ignorance should be used to motivate the team and the support. We're living through some dire times domestically and internationally, but Hearts are giving us some tangible happiness and optimism, so credit where it's due, and thanks to everyone who's made this run happen.

Well said!

leipzig76
57 minutes ago, Alex MacDonald said:

The wi fitba cartoon in the Evening News on the Monday night edition said of that 76/77 game " a not bad gathering of the fans " The second time we went down last game at Tynie v Morton the gathering was down to 1600 or so.When I see and hear some of the reactions of some of the folks on here after a defeat I feel they should appreciate where we are now compared to those years before Wallace came in..AM- Great post BTW

Victorian

We used to be almost unbeatable from Motherwell in the later 80s into the 90s.  I seem to remember a couple of long unbeaten runs.  One was about 18 matches.  

Hearts_fan
1 hour ago, Alex MacDonald said:

Great post. Well said.

2 minutes ago, Victorian said:

We used to be almost unbeatable from Motherwell in the later 80s into the 90s.  I seem to remember a couple of long unbeaten runs.  One was about 18 matches.  

Iirc, the run vs. Motherwell was in tandem with the 22 vs. Hibs. 

Victorian
Just now, martoon said:

Iirc, the run vs. Motherwell was in tandem with the 22 vs. Hibs. 

Probably was more or less.  

Cameronstheman

Top Post Alex 

upgotheheads

In the fifties, sixties, seventies, and eighties, Hearts v Motherwell had the reputation of being a classic encounter between two clubs whose ethos was good sporting and flowing football. 

Alex MacDonald
1 minute ago, upgotheheads said:

In the fifties, sixties, seventies, and eighties, Hearts v Motherwell had the reputation of being a classic encounter between two clubs whose ethos was good sporting and flowing football. 

I remember a cracking 3-3 draw in 75/76 with a crowd of around 15,000, double what you'd normally get for a home game. At that time Motherwell had Willie Pettigrew at the top of his game, Bobby Graham, Vic Davidson and Joe Wark, they were a decent side in the mid-70's.

Was at that game.

And the Motherwell where we failed promotion.

Very different days.

Some mental times supporting this club.

I love it personally. 

dannymack
10 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

The 3 1952 Scottish Cup Semi Final games saw an astonishing  238,639 spectators pass through the Hampden turnstiles. 

90,208 - 80,141 & 60,290 Wow !!! 

Lone Striker

Good post. 👍    Sometimes those of us who remember standing on the terracing back in those days forget just how primitive and downright sh1te things were - and thats despite us having a few  legends like Donald Ford and Drew Busby in the team.    Little did we know that  2 transformational  periods were about to re-energise  Hearts fans - one in the 1980s following a relegation, and the other in the 2010s following a relegation.     

Sometimes we forget just how amazing these  2  transformations  were which took place 30 years apart were. Yes we had our share of disappointments along the way, but what Wallace Mercer and Ann Budge did for the club during these 2 periods was incredible -  beyond our wildest imagination, imo.  

Libertarian
3 hours ago, Alex MacDonald said:

Wonderful post. Before nearly every home game I look around and say to the guy next to me "When you think about what it used to be like here, it's a different world" Thankfully everything has improved beyond recognition. We need to ensure that over the next 50 years we continue to improve 

gordon simpson
4 hours ago, Alex MacDonald said:

great post 

dannymack
4 hours ago, Alex MacDonald said:

Screenshot_20240218_202326_Chrome.thumb.jpg.d120a938263643d833ab2dae0af20aed.jpg

Screenshot_20240218_202517_Chrome.thumb.jpg.b22f808ac9fc7cf0514897b5eb3373e8.jpg

Alex MacDonald
10 minutes ago, dannymack said:

Screenshot_20240218_202326_Chrome.thumb.jpg.d120a938263643d833ab2dae0af20aed.jpg

Screenshot_20240218_202517_Chrome.thumb.jpg.b22f808ac9fc7cf0514897b5eb3373e8.jpg

Well done Danny, brilliant match reports, highlights how good Mike Aitken was.

Finlay James

Remember these days well.  When failed to win promotion on the final day v Motherwell in 1981, it was mayhem and Wallace Mercer had to appeal for calm.  I was a kid on the terracing.  Tough times but I was a proud Jambo and it continues to make me proud how we got through those times.

Alex MacDonald brought sustained cultural change and what Naisy is doing has the same feel.  

dannymack

My first memory of Motherwell was a First Division game at Tynecastle, they scudded us 0-3 and then on the final day they beat us 0-1 to deny us promotion to the Premier Division. 

I'm sure everyone is aware of the 2nd half  hooliganism that marred that game and then the following August we went to Fir Park to be defeated AGAIN !! 

However that return League Cup group game at Tynecastle saw us win 1-0 and we were in the Gorgie Road End going ballistic. 

Alex MacDonald scoring past a green topped, silver haired and moustached Hugh Sproat. 

From them on in Motherwell never really caused us problems apart from 1 game in 1985-86 season 😒 but I do recall having a massive dislike to them along with Kilmarnock in and around 1981 to 1983. 

20211121_150255.thumb.jpg.d700800a94cea08a351d835aab2b9398.jpg

Screenshot_20211105-091610_Chrome.thumb.jpg.c83e96e12349c9b074503af9d9041e31.jpg

Screenshot_20220331-001357_Gallery.thumb.jpg.18cca9ea2cc6bbb3671554e775616d22.jpg

Edited by dannymack

dannymack
6 minutes ago, Alex MacDonald said:

Well done Danny, brilliant match reports, highlights how good Mike Aitken was.

From Neil Streven via London Hearts 👌🏻

35 minutes ago, dannymack said:

Screenshot_20230915_060453_Chrome.jpg

The future as a full time club remains in the balance? Shocked to read that there.

TexasAndy

I remember that Motherwell game well in 1977.  Actually went home full of hope for the following season after watching Malkie Robertson carve Well open to grab a win.  Little did I know we were at the start of the worst period in our history.  It's truly a blessing to have what we have now.

davemclaren
8 hours ago, 151 said:

The future as a full time club remains in the balance? Shocked to read that there.

Yip, I remember that. Tough times.  

PortyBeach
16 hours ago, upgotheheads said:

Yes, I recall my Dad saying this to me. 
Both clubs had some decent players throughout the 1950s-60s in particular.

I’ve seen a match programme from that era and Motherwell’s forward line included Pat Quinn, Ian St John, and Willie Hunter whereas ours included Bauld, Alex Young, and Gordon Smith. 
I think too, the colour combination of both teams was quite striking. At least, it seemed like that to me as a young supporter.

Turkishcap
17 hours ago, Alex MacDonald said:

I remember a cracking 3-3 draw in 75/76 with a crowd of around 15,000, double what you'd normally get for a home game. At that time Motherwell had Willie Pettigrew at the top of his game, Bobby Graham, Vic Davidson and Joe Wark, they were a decent side in the mid-70's.

Remember it well, fish supper in street after as I waited on dad to take me home.

Was this an earlier kick off due to strikes/power cuts?

Glamorgan Jambo

I kind of remember this game too.

fairly sure Malky Robertson’s og was a 25 yard screamer when he tracked back and just booted the ball as hard as he could except it unfortunately ended in the back of our own net.

Also the news that Ormond was incoming had just broken and believe it or not there was tremendous optimism about what he could deliver.

I was one of the 1500 ‘youngsters’ who stayed after the end of the game for 15 minutes or so referred to in the Mike Aitken report.

Alex MacDonald
2 minutes ago, Glamorgan Jambo said:

I kind of remember this game too.

fairly sure Malky Robertson’s og was a 25 yard screamer when he tracked back and just booted the ball as hard as he could except it unfortunately ended in the back of our own net.

Also the news that Ormond was incoming had just broken and believe it or not there was tremendous optimism about what he could deliver.

I was one of the 1500 ‘youngsters’ who stayed after the end of the game for 15 minutes or so referred to in the Mike Aitken report.

That's what I remember most about that game, the defiance and optimism shown by the fans at the end, scarves held aloft whilst singing. I was sitting in the old South stand with my old man, and looking forward now that we had a former Scotland boss taking charge and a young Eamonn Bannon in midfield.

Mad Bad and Dangerous
On 18/02/2024 at 15:22, Alex MacDonald said:

I was born in 1966 pal so am of the same era as yourself.

We had some pretty desperate seasons from the mid 70s until 82/83 but in general we have always stayed at a decent level in Scottish football since then and thankfully our record in derbies has been phenomenal since then......we own Hibs   👍👍😉

Alex MacDonald
23 minutes ago, j1964m said:

I won't get any sleep tonight after seeing Gary Liddell in a Hearts jersey again. Playing 3 up front. Pettigrew, O'Connor and Liddell, Pettigrew should've had 4. Pat Byrne was a decent midfielder.