Summer 24 Transfers - Vargas signs 5 year deal ( updated/merged )

Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine

I like the Spittal signing. He is not afraid to shoot from the edge of the box so brings something different to the team. 

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• RustyRightPeg

• Batistuta87

• kingantti1874

FarmerTweedy
On 26/03/2024 at 15:35, Watt-Zeefuik said:

I think the main thing I disagree on is that a million pounds just isn't that much money in football transfer fees once you start to poke through to the top leagues. I don't think it will be long before we pay a 7 figure transfer fee ourselves. Simply, there are a lot more clubs now, ourselves included, for whom a couple decent signings can make the difference of £4-7m in income annually.

Hickey's deal was negotiated by Levein at a point when he himself admits he was struggling mightily to be both DF and manager. It was an absolute waste of an opportunity for us, but I don't think it should be a hallmark of what we can expect. Looking at what Hibs and Dons have done with transfer sales should be an indicator of what we can demand for our better players.

As for Shankland, I think he could have a £4m swing for us in Germany. If he disappears or gets on and is honking, we probably won't get more than offers of £1.5-2m for him and we probably keep him (no bad thing). If he gets on and scores 2-3 goals in the group stages, or better yet, Scotland get to terra nova and qualify and he scores in the knockout rounds, we might have offers of £5 or even £6m for him. I know nothing specific but I have this feeling that's the reason he's not signed a new contract yet. He knows there's a shot he can kick himself into a new world of money and fame in the summer and wants to give it a shot before he pens and extension.

Levein wasn't employed by Hearts in any capacity when Hickey was sold!

Watt-Zeefuik
1 hour ago, FarmerTweedy said:

Levein wasn't employed by Hearts in any capacity when Hickey was sold!

Ack, you're right, good catch.

dazajmbo

There's hints and whispers suggesting ZC is away in the summer. That's now from a few credible posters with previous spot on history.  Somethings definitely going on. Personally I've not heard or asked about him. Just basing on the people I've seen talk about it. 

gregzy2k7
1 minute ago, dazajmbo said:

There's hints and whispers suggesting ZC is away in the summer. That's now from a few credible posters with previous spot on history.  Somethings definitely going on. Personally I've not heard or asked about him. Just basing on the people I've seen talk about it. 

Would be a big blow if true, he has been really good this season and could be our number 1 keeper for the next 6/7 seasons if he stays.

I think CG Is the better keeper overall but will probably only play another 1 or 2 seasons at best, given the amount of injuries he has had and his age imo.

I wonder who it is that is interested in ZC? Huns? Championship team?

1 minute ago, gregzy2k7 said:

Would be a big blow if true, he has been really good this season and could be our number 1 keeper for the next 6/7 seasons if he stays.

I think CG Is the better keeper overall but will probably only play another 1 or 2 seasons at best, given the amount of injuries he has had and his age imo.

I wonder who it is that is interested in ZC? Huns? Championship team?

Its a really difficult one, as you say, there is longevity with Zander, but Gordon could give us another 2 years potentially more.. IIRC his idol was Buffon, and he went to 44. I'd be surprised if Gordon retired when there were still miles in the tank. Especially after losing 2 years of his career. 

Maybe Zander wants to be somewhere he is undisputed number 1? I think he knows he's #1 till there is a reason to drop him. Where as at other clubs he could be #1 without that fear. 

cosanostra

Can't imagine it'll be the Huns unless they sell they're English goalie. My Hun mate reckons he's vastly overrated but the English press seem to love him.

FarmerTweedy
On 28/03/2024 at 08:03, Drylaw Hearts said:

The selling club still aren’t losing though………

They'd be losing the £2.4m that they'd have got to keep if they didn't agree to the sell-on clause. Not sure how you're unable to grasp that. 

cosanostra

Lots of speculation on Hun forums that they're selling Butland in the summer. They reckon £10m. 

Wonder if that's connected to people hearing Clark might be leaving. Unlikely I'd imagine.

kingantti1874

If we really are losing one of the keepers. I’d take mitov from st Johnston.  Always been impressive 

wavydavy
2 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

If we really are losing one of the keepers. I’d take mitov from st Johnston.  Always been impressive 

Agree and according to Transfer marker he is only valued at £250k and 27 years old.

5 hours ago, cosanostra said:

Lots of speculation on Hun forums that they're selling Butland in the summer. They reckon £10m. 

Wonder if that's connected to people hearing Clark might be leaving. Unlikely I'd imagine.

6 mill for Shanks 4 mill for ZC sorted lol 

Drylaw Hearts
11 hours ago, FarmerTweedy said:

They'd be losing the £2.4m that they'd have got to keep if they didn't agree to the sell-on clause. Not sure how you're unable to grasp that. 

If they are making a profit on the transfer fee…..it’s not a loss.

Ricardo Quaresma
13 hours ago, dazajmbo said:

4 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

Just what I was going to post, the jonnies 'keeper 👍

BackOfTheNet

Can’t see Clark going to Rangers as anything other than a backup. Wouldn’t be the first time a bigger team in a league bought a first choice keeper from elsewhere to pay them more and have as a backup. But I don’t see the logic in Rangers doing that, other than to have a homegrown player for Europe, but they already have McCrorie that’s not only home grown but club grown.

Edited by BackOfTheNet

Bongo 1874
7 hours ago, cosanostra said:

Butland Newcastle bound.

Bongo 1874

Unless Rangers pay 2-3mil Clark ain't going anywhere 🤣😂.

Foreign and English teams that will be after him.

Edited by Bongo 1874

Bongo 1874
5 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Can’t see Clark going to Rangers as anything other than a backup. Wouldn’t be the first time a bigger team in a league bought a first choice keeper from elsewhere to pay them more and have as a backup. But I don’t see the logic in Rangers going that, other than to have a homegrown player for Europe, but they already have McCrorie that’s not only home grown but club grown.

Free agent market will be looked at.

Guranteed.

Cash in on Butland.

On 29/03/2024 at 13:35, OTT said:

I thought you might have been exaggerating

image.png.b5c58e0d5cfa3eb71347dd021ae4a133.png

You were not. :lol: 

What a shame. :sad:

tazhearts

Ryan Strain started for St. Mirren today so must be back from injury.  At present I think he's our best bet for a right back.

1 hour ago, Cruyff said:

What a shame. :sad:

Aye, I'm sure players regularly talk about the strain on their mental health that comes with injuries. 

Saving grace for him I suppose is that he'll be on good money at Dortmund, not like someone at Raith Rovers or a club like that. 

Hopefully both Spittal and Dhanda bring in some much needed final third decision making.

We would be burying teams if we could add that. 

On 30/03/2024 at 00:16, dazajmbo said:

All the assumptions are that Rangers will come calling. It has however been forgotten that Celtic are losing Joe Hart at the end of the season and they have even less back up than Rangers, who have the highly rated.McCrorie. Not suggesting he will be first choice in Glasgow but, as Jon McLaughlin will testify, splinters in the backside are less painful when you are earning a five figure sum each week

20 hours ago, tazhearts said:

Ryan Strain started for St. Mirren today so must be back from injury.  At present I think he's our best bet for a right back.

Agreed. Perhaps we've been in contact but keeping it quiet because we are still to go head to head with Saints 2 more times this season. 

Craig Gordon will definitely not be retiring in the summer. He’s still got things he wants to tick of his list and certain records.

Gorgierools
36 minutes ago, Hansel said:

Agreed. Perhaps we've been in contact but keeping it quiet because we are still to go head to head with Saints 2 more times this season. 

Hope that is the case. Him and Armstrong, alongside our recent additions would be a great window. Would really strengthen our RH.  In particular 

132goals1958

Hope not but if that is the case then that should sway towards Craig Gordon being our number one GK Immediately. Can understand loyalty to ZC  as he has played well but if he sees his future elsewhere then our best goalie should take over toute suite.

johnking123

If we do lose zander. then hope we get couple more years out of Gordon. Will still need experienced backup. But hopefully the younger goalies come good.

3 hours ago, johnking123 said:

Danny McNamara would be good RB. Out of contract end of season.

I remember him being decent at St Johnstone 

Squad looking solid for next year. 

Every year, we are gathering a few more good players than we lose.

The day when we mug a few teams in Europe is coming. 

Pasquale for King

A good time to cash in on him. 

johnking123

Think we will still splash cash on a few player. Will be a bit of player trading in and out end of the season. Still think our transfer record will be broken. 

jamboinglasgow
26 minutes ago, johnking123 said:

Think we will still splash cash on a few player. Will be a bit of player trading in and out end of the season. Still think our transfer record will be broken. 

Would love that to be the case, but the Summer transfer window in 2022 left me more reluctant to expect big signings. We spent in that window but I was thinking it was going to be even more money than was spent.

I am going into Summer 2024 window with no expectations.

johnking123

Cochrane 

Shankland 

Rowles 

Oda could be going back to Japan for a good fee

Rick Sanchez

Spending money doesn't guarantee you nothing (see Kiomourtzoglou) but if Beni leaves then I'd like to see us spend some money on a decent enforcer. 

We'll need someone to compliment Nieuwenhof, Dhanda and Spittal.

26 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez said:

Spending money doesn't guarantee you nothing (see Kiomourtzoglou) but if Beni leaves then I'd like to see us spend some money on a decent enforcer. 

We'll need someone to compliment Nieuwenhof, Dhanda and Spittal.

I think we will go for Ryan Jack. 

johnking123
6 minutes ago, May98 said:

Not a chance. Not what Naismith wants and we have enough on the injury table.

I am less concerned about breaking our transfer record , unless we absolutely smash it . Some of our best ever signings cost nothing to nominal fees . Spending close to a million can sometimes land you a Vente as much as it can a good player . If we were to spend say two million on a ( as close as you can get ) sure thing in instalments over two years and have the money for that players wages then I would start to get my hopes up 

I am excited about the summer window though , I think it will be our best yet , if we include the pre contract arrivals 

JamboAl
5 minutes ago, Sooks said:

I am less concerned about breaking our transfer record , unless we absolutely smash it . Some of our best ever signings cost nothing to nominal fees . Spending close to a million can sometimes land you a Vente as much as it can a good player . If we were to spend say two million on a ( as close as you can get ) sure thing in instalments over two years and have the money for that players wages then I would start to get my hopes up 

I am excited about the summer window though , I think it will be our best yet , if we include the pre contract arrivals 

Therein lies a problem, methinks.

To break our record we'll have to shell out around £1m or more.

If that happened, the player would almost certainly break any wage ceiling we might have so we're looking at another £1m at least over a 2 year contract period.

Pasquale for King
38 minutes ago, May98 said:

An injury prone 32yo, no more huns if possible please.

upgotheheads
38 minutes ago, May98 said:

Why would someone like him be an asset to us? He'd just be an expensive has-been.

jamboinglasgow
1 hour ago, johnking123 said:

Cochrane 

Shankland 

Rowles 

Oda could be going back to Japan for a good fee

You would hope that players like that being sold are going for good fees. 

What matters is that we are able to replace them. I do have a lot more confidence now than I ever had that we will have replacements already identified, scouted and ready to make an offer if required. I still have a suspicion (no rumours, just a hunch) that there are at least one more pre-contract signed player. 

I also think that we are fixing the issues we have had this season with the squad (lack of a creative player to break down stubborn oppositions and providing better chances for attackers.)

Agentjambo
43 minutes ago, johnking123 said:

Not a chance. Not what Naismith wants and we have enough on the injury table.

What does Naismith want?

johnking123
3 minutes ago, Agentjambo said:

What does Naismith want?

Players that's are hitting there peek or close. Look at what we have signed,  25 to 28 years old. He looking at players who have played lots of games. That would not be Ryan Jack!

Spongebob

If rowles goes would like us to go go Findlay from killie. Looks very solid and I’d say he has a lot to do with there good season 

Bongo 1874

Available on a pre contract at Sheffield United.

Edited by Bongo 1874

MattyK82

Beni Baningime has confirmed he won't make a decision on his future at Heart of Midlothian until the season is finished - but revealed a factor that could sway him to committing long-term.

The midfielder's contract runs until the end of the campaign when he will become a free agent. He has stated that he would not agree to a pre-contract with another team before then or sign the contract extension which has been tabled by Hearts. 

Baningime, however, did admit that the prospect of Blair Spittal, Yan Dhanda and James Penrice arriving in the summer having agreed pre-contracts could help him make his decision.

100 per cent but ultimately I won't be signing any contract with anyone before the end of the season," he said. "We're doing it at the end of the season. I've spoken with my family, there won't be any pre-contract with this team or this team.

"For me, it's focusing on Hearts and finishing third. Last season we let it slip so we still need to hold onto that and hopefully go on and win the cup if we can. That's basically my aim.

"But with those players coming in and where the club is going it definitely makes you start to think, 'Okay, I'd want to play with these players' because they are good players."

Baningime has proven his importance to the team this season after missing the entirety of last season. Since returning from a setback early on in the campaign he has missed just two of the last 32 matches, starting 24 of those.

"I feel great and I've felt great for a long time," he said. "I'm just happy for myself and very thankful for the physios, for the gaffer, for everyone at the club helping me come back and to get me back to me best."

• davemclaren changed the title to Summer 24 Transfers - Vargas signs 5 year deal ( updated/merged )