Summer 24 Transfers - Vargas signs 5 year deal ( updated/merged )

Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine

Just now, Chuck Berry said:

Oh I absolutely appreciate the difference, I watch enough of it.  I just disagree with those who think Cochrane couldn't hack it. He can, IMO, and I hope he gets the chance to prove you wrong.

Here, there’s a good chance eventually he will be at the level to hold down a starting role in the epl, but at the moment I cannae see it.  In fact I would go as far as saying no player in our league will get sold to a team playing in the EPL next season in the summer.  Sorry if I came across as a twat my lost post btw, it wasn’t intentional. 

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• RustyRightPeg

• Batistuta87

• kingantti1874

Chuck Berry
1 minute ago, May98 said:

Here, there’s a good chance eventually he will be at the level to hold down a starting role in the epl, but at the moment I cannae see it.  In fact I would go as far as saying no player in our league will get sold to a team playing in the EPL next season in the summer.  Sorry if I came across as a twat my lost post btw, it wasn’t intentional. 

No worries, everyone has an opinion. Sometimes people need to remember we don't all need to agree!

Lord Beni of Gorgie
3 minutes ago, May98 said:

On the contrary, you are worth as much as the club you play for value you also.  It that isn’t matched by any club player stays. 

Not really the contrary.

As I say its all sorts of elements, I didnt type that particular one. However players staying full contract is not where we want to be, Anderson has suggested we need to start selling players somewhere along the line, for profits of course, not because we have to, because we want to.

7 minutes ago, Chuck Berry said:

No worries, everyone has an opinion. Sometimes people need to remember we don't all need to agree!

Totally mate. 

5 minutes ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

Not really the contrary.

As I say its all sorts of elements, I didnt type that particular one. However players staying full contract is not where we want to be, Anderson has suggested we need to start selling players somewhere along the line, for profits of course, not because we have to, because we want to.

👍👍

soonbe110
5 hours ago, Sooks said:

Never understand the Hearts supporters who actively try and drive prices down for our players on here . We are the only club in this division who do it . Look on an Aberdeen or Hibs forum and they do the complete opposite . Some weird sort of Hearts cringe with some of our fans 

Do you honestly believe buying clubs look at jkb to see what price Hearts would accept for a player? 
Re other clubs I like to think most on here are more realistic than fans of other clubs  

14 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Do you honestly believe buying clubs look at jkb to see what price Hearts would accept for a player? 
Re other clubs I like to think most on here are more realistic than fans of other clubs  

I see now where people are coming from with the hysterical indignation about me saying this

When I say “ driving the price down “ I was not suggesting this was something that a buying club would give too many ****s about

I would have thought my subsequent posts , about how I find the psychology part of fan options on these matters interesting , might have made that clear to folk - obviously not

Sorry guys 

20 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

The issue here isn't whether any random fan on here thinks Cochrane is worth £2M / £3M or more or less. The issue is whether there's been a discernible material improvement in his game that would see clubs at a particular level covet his services at this time. I'd argue that he hasn't really stood out against better quality opposition over the past couple of years. 

soonbe110
6 minutes ago, Carter said:

The issue here isn't whether any random fan on here thinks Cochrane is worth £2M / £3M or more or less. The issue is whether there's been a discernible material improvement in his game that would see clubs at a particular level covet his services at this time. I'd argue that he hasn't really stood out against better quality opposition over the past couple of years. 

I’d agree.  If anything I think he contributed more when on loan.  He seems to have settled into a mediocrity in last 6-12 months and hasn’t really been the same player, apart from the odd glimpses, since Pittodrie last season.  

RustyRightPeg

Cochrane is technically a very good footballer. His issue (IMO) is that he's very one paced. Don't get me wrong, he's got an engine on him and can run all day, but he suits a role where he can overlap as he doesn't have the stop start pace that Dexter has to go past someone 1v1.

This isn't a criticism, I love him, and think he's been a fantastic servant for us, and will be until he leaves.

He's a very mature player, almost beyond his years (important to remember he's only 23) and I actually think he suits the central position that he sometimes fills in. Wouldn't shock me if that's what he turned into as he grows as a footballer. 

Regardless, we're gonna make a lot more than we paid for him if he goes this summer. That's the main thing. 

Edited by RustyRightPeg

19/05/2012
3 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Cochrane is technically a very good footballer. His issue (IMO) is that he's very one paced. Don't get me wrong, he's got an engine on him and can run all day, but he suits a role where he can overlap as he doesn't have the stop start pace that Dexter has to go past someone 1v1.

This isn't a criticism, I love him, and think he's been a fantastic servant for us, and will be until he leaves.

He's a very mature player, almost beyond his years (important to remember he's only 23) and I actually think he suits the central position that he sometimes fills in. Wouldn't shock me if that's what he turned into as he grows as a footballer. 

Regardless, we're gonna make a lot more than we paid for him if he goes this summer. That's the main thing. 

Cochrane is good but would take anything over £1.5million for him. He loves to ball watch which results in free crosses into our box all the time, we have lost so many goals like this over the last 2 seasons.

Sub4TiddlerMurray
1 hour ago, 19/05/2012 said:

Cochrane is good but would take anything over £1.5million for him. He loves to ball watch which results in free crosses into our box all the time, we have lost so many goals like this over the last 2 seasons.

We will all realise just how good Cochrane is when he is gone. 

Also, for some reason I viewed Penrice as a younger replacement with similar potential. Gobsmacked to think that he’s actually 2 years older than Lex.

Fozzyonthefence
30 minutes ago, Sub4TiddlerMurray said:

Also, for some reason I viewed Penrice as a younger replacement with similar potential. Gobsmacked to think that he’s actually 2 years older than Lex.

I don’t think we will, Kingsley will just take his position and is a better defender than Cochrane.  Cochrane better suited to wing back (other than when he switches off which is too frequently) and Kingsley is the better LB. 

Realistically Cochrane will likely be the only decent transfer fee we will potentially receive other than Shankland but imo the easiest to replace given that his replacement is already here plus another to arrive in summer and Naismith prefers a back 4 anyway. 

jamboinglasgow
8 hours ago, TheBigO said:

Think we're agreeing here Bati.  I want our players to go on to a higher level simply because it means they've smashed it for Hearts.  If any player moves to a bigger club (other than OF obvs!!) for good dosh, it's great all round really cos it means we've profited but more importanly for me, as a fan, they've more than likely done really well for us in their time with us.

We need to be seen as a team who won't stand in players' way as that makes us more attractive, but we do also need to get and push value, so it's a balancing act.  What I do also think is there's a flip side where we'll look after a player.  Do you want to jump at the first offer we've had, or do you want to stay, get even better and earn a better move?

It's the oppposite down Lochend.  2 years ago, Kensell got ripped a new one by Gordon cos they hadnt cashed in "yet" on Nisbet, Porteous, Doig and I think Boyle at the time.  There was no waiting for right offer, there was no what's best for club and player, it was 100% get the dosh in while their names are being somewhat mentioned.

Completely agree. 

We dont have a financial need to sell to balance books, we are not selling to meet a quota for the owner, so we can look to build the best team and sell when it suits us best. I do think we ultimately need to have a chance for players to move on to bigger things, as you say it makes us attractive for an ambitious player, and it can supplement our already diversified income.

I think its also forgotten that money we get from selling players is going back into the team. Its not going into an owners pocket, its not being used to service a debt, nor is it need to be kept aside for paying for infrastructure.

Clubs can get a lot of money, as you point out with Hibs, they have got millions from selling the players you mentioned above, but has that money really gone back into their squad? 

Sub4TiddlerMurray
4 hours ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Realistically Cochrane will likely be the only decent transfer fee we will potentially receive other than Shankland but imo the easiest to replace given that his replacement is already here plus another to arrive in summer and Naismith prefers a back 4 anyway. 

Not saying Cochrane’s irreplaceable, but Penrice is definitely not an upgrade (hope I'm proven wrong 🤞). And he was always one of the first names on Naismith's team sheet.

DG_HMFC
5 hours ago, Sub4TiddlerMurray said:

Absolutely. 

Very good modern day full back.

1 hour ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Completely agree. 

We dont have a financial need to sell to balance books, we are not selling to meet a quota for the owner, so we can look to build the best team and sell when it suits us best. I do think we ultimately need to have a chance for players to move on to bigger things, as you say it makes us attractive for an ambitious player, and it can supplement our already diversified income.

I think its also forgotten that money we get from selling players is going back into the team. Its not going into an owners pocket, its not being used to service a debt, nor is it need to be kept aside for paying for infrastructure.

Clubs can get a lot of money, as you point out with Hibs, they have got millions from selling the players you mentioned above, but has that money really gone back into their squad? 

We have a need to become competent at player trading though. That's not in dispute. Budge and McKinlay consistently reference the need to do so as it will allow the club to grow. 

It would be tremendous to get guys like Cochrane for say £300k and turn that into £3M within 2 or 3 years. That may indeed happen with Cochrane and it would represent excellent business. I'm not so sure it'll happen but it would be great if it did. Ann Budge has indicated any such gains in player trading would be invested into the squad as the capital projects have been completed for now. 

The absence of any significant player trading revenue aligned to Beni looking like he will go under freedom of contract would appear to make it fairly likely that we'll seek to cash in on both Shankland and Cochrane this summer.

Cochrane is great and one of the best players in the squad.

Has he improved over the past year or so as you might expect a young player his age to do? IMO, no but then perhaps he has reached his limits at Hearts.

Shanks goals are irreplaceable. Cochrane, as good as he is can be replaced and bettered with the right recruitment.

Threedoorsdown

2023 was one of our most successful seasons in terms of prize money and TV money, we made around £7m.

If we manage to maintain that and sell a player for north of £3m per season we will begin to be a serious threat and we will see the old firm gang up against us in order to maintain the status quo. 

cosanostra

If we were offered £1.5m-2m for Cochrane, I'd probably take it tbh. We've already signed another left back and we could probably sign at least two other decent quality players for that amount. Danny Armstrong and another big Frankie Kent style centre half.

That leaves us the rest of our budget to replace Beni and get a decent right back and another striker.

We still have to pay for Vargas but that's probably from last year's budget.

Watt-Zeefuik
On 24/03/2024 at 07:37, OTT said:

Aberdeen wouldn't sell him to us on principle, but not only that, quite rightly they'll be looking for north of £5m. I'm not sure our transfer budget for a player stretches much over £500k on a good day :lol: 

But that isn't to say we can't find the next Miovski in some league in Eastern Europe. When we played Riga, the striker Andrej Illic went for EUR900k to a team from Norway who then sold him after a season for around EUR5m to Lille. My point is that there are very good players in shit leagues, and we just need to be looking and seeing. Miovski's return before Aberdeen was pretty ordinary too. So again, its not even like we need to be combing for a superstar already scoring 20+  goals.

Important thing for me is that we source someone with a bit of common sense. Lets not go diving into Japan again. Focus on Eastern Europe, try and find someone we feel confident in. 

I haven't looked over the tally comprehensively but I feel like we've had some absolutely miserable signings from Eastern Europe in the past few years. Avdijaj, Vanciek, Struna, Grzelak, Tziolis . . . I'd rather we went for Australians, West Africans, and Central Americans at that rate.

We've done the Japanese market twice, and probably expected too much too soon out of both. Tagawa hasn't gotten goals but his play has improved markedly recently.

13 hours ago, Sooks said:

I do not think this ‘ step up ‘ to the Championship part is a real thing if I am honest . I think if a player is good enough to step up to the bottom third of the EPL they will do it just as comfortably going straight from Hearts as they would a Championship club . This is a thing that has come about to make further excuses for Premiership clubs not getting market value for their players 

Absolutely. Joey Barton was an EPL regular for a few years, then was on the English Championship best XI, came straight to Rangers and faceplanted. There's a gap in pay between our level of the SPFL and the English Championship but not much gap in quality.

13 hours ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Shankland is the only player we could get that kind of money for. 

Sorry but to me that seems silly. It's been 7-8 years since we got £1.5m for six months of Osman Sow. We've stunk in the player sales market for a few years but that doesn't mean we always will.

Penrice for Cochrane is a step down but if we sell Cochrane for £2m (not saying it will happen but it easily could) and sign Penrice on a free, that's £2m that can go into wages to keep other players around. (I don't know what Naisy has planned but for me Penrice and Spital make a decent LWB/RWB pairing in front of a back 3.)

Tommy Brown
12 hours ago, soonbe110 said:

I’d agree.  If anything I think he contributed more when on loan.  He seems to have settled into a mediocrity in last 6-12 months and hasn’t really been the same player, apart from the odd glimpses, since Pittodrie last season.  

I'm surprised you think that.

IMO, he was our best player last season.

Admittedly, not a stand out this season.

PHSCAndy
18 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

Do we really think that fans opinions on valuation has any bearing whatsoever on the price a player is sold for.

Shankland for example. I’ve seen him valued on here at anything between £1.5m and £7m. No club, especially not ours will pay a blind bit of attention to that and he’ll go to whatever club pays OUR club’s valuation AND which Shankland agrees to go to. And then you’ll have the ‘good deal’ vs ‘shite deal’ debate. 

It’s all basically irrelevant opinion in the grand scheme 

My opinion on Shankland is £3m is now a ‘good deal’ with one year to run. Less than £2m is a shite deal. more than £4.5m is an extraordinary deal.

Whilst I agree with your Shankland valuations I feel there is a high probability that any transfer activity concerning Shanks will become prolonged and unsettling for both the clubs player recruitment plans and also the player himself. If the Sevco ‘will they/won’t they’ bid fiasco of the last transfer window is anything to go by then it could drag on for some time. If as suggested by many on this thread Shanks will be leaving for pastures new then let’s hope we receive a decent bid for his services early doors if for nothing else other than to get the ‘ball rolling’. Sevco being Sevco will use their media friends and play it cool thereby unsettling the player and then at some point probably last minute offer a low ball bid a week before the transfer window closes. Obviously if say a Championship club entered the fray early doors then it becomes a different scenario. 

Drylaw Hearts
4 hours ago, Watt-Zeefuik said:

I haven't looked over the tally comprehensively but I feel like we've had some absolutely miserable signings from Eastern Europe in the past few years. Avdijaj, Vanciek, Struna, Grzelak, Tziolis . . . I'd rather we went for Australians, West Africans, and Central Americans at that rate.

We've done the Japanese market twice, and probably expected too much too soon out of both. Tagawa hasn't gotten goals but his play has improved markedly recently.

Absolutely. Joey Barton was an EPL regular for a few years, then was on the English Championship best XI, came straight to Rangers and faceplanted. There's a gap in pay between our level of the SPFL and the English Championship but not much gap in quality.

Sorry but to me that seems silly. It's been 7-8 years since we got £1.5m for six months of Osman Sow. We've stunk in the player sales market for a few years but that doesn't mean we always will.

Penrice for Cochrane is a step down but if we sell Cochrane for £2m (not saying it will happen but it easily could) and sign Penrice on a free, that's £2m that can go into wages to keep other players around. (I don't know what Naisy has planned but for me Penrice and Spital make a decent LWB/RWB pairing in front of a back 3.)

😂

He’s been absolutely stinking.

I know I’ve said it on here but I’d really go for Connor Barron. Cos the dons have had an iffy season he’s not had the focus on him and gone under the radar. Free to move in summer and I don’t think clubs down south will be knocking the door down to sign him. 

Selkirkhmfc1874
1 minute ago, Baxfee said:

I know I’ve said it on here but I’d really go for Connor Barron. Cos the dons have had an iffy season he’s not had the focus on him and gone under the radar. Free to move in summer and I don’t think clubs down south will be knocking the door down to sign him. 

Would be excellent signing 

cosanostra
9 minutes ago, Baxfee said:

Seems to be an open secret that he's going to the Huns.

5 minutes ago, cosanostra said:

Seriously. He’ll be a regular sub. What a waste if he does 

soonbe110
4 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

I'm surprised you think that.

IMO, he was our best player last season.

Admittedly, not a stand out this season.

Since the debacle at Pittodrie he has gone backwards.   The odd good game but a lot of poor to mediocre games imo. Prior to Pittodrie I’d agree, he was excellent.  No idea what’s caused it but if he has decided he wants back down south then we will have to take whatever is offered this summer. 

1 hour ago, Baxfee said:

Seriously. He’ll be a regular sub. What a waste if he does 

Yeah, Scott Wright 2.0. Difference with Ryan Jack was that he did the hard miles with Aberdeen and came in an experienced player. 

Joining a club that doesn't develop youth as a young player is a terrible career move, and he should really be thinking where this is going to leave him 25+

RustyRightPeg
1 hour ago, cosanostra said:

Think it was before Clement came in. His form has nose dived dramatically since then...co-incidence?

He isn't good enough for Rangers yet. 

RustyRightPeg
2 hours ago, Baxfee said:

We'd be due them heavy compensation so it wouldn't be free.

1 hour ago, soonbe110 said:

Since the debacle at Pittodrie he has gone backwards.   The odd good game but a lot of poor to mediocre games imo. Prior to Pittodrie I’d agree, he was excellent.  No idea what’s caused it but if he has decided he wants back down south then we will have to take whatever is offered this summer. 

That game does appear to have been a defining moment for Cochrane. Looked as though he'd been banished by Neilson after that. Makes you wonder how the hell Neilson managed to mess things up so spectacularly towards the end. You could say that Naismith has done well to get him back on course, although I'd fully agree there have been a lot of mediocre games. Kingsley for me is a better defender by some distance and his delivery into the box is far better too.

Naismith does often talk highly of him though. Quite a few games in CM. He'll go though if he's intimated he doesn't want to extend. Probably suits all parties. 

soonbe110
Just now, Carter said:

That game does appear to have been a defining moment for Cochrane. Looked as though he'd been banished by Neilson after that. Makes you wonder how the hell Neilson managed to mess things up so spectacularly towards the end. You could say that Naismith has done well to get him back on course, although I'd fully agree there have been a lot of mediocre games. Kingsley for me is a better defender by some distance and his delivery into the box is far better too.

Naismith does often talk highly of him though. Quite a few games in CM. He'll go though if he's intimated he doesn't want to extend. Probably suits all parties. 

Defensively we were in bits at that time and I think Neilson gave him a chunk of the blame and it reached a peak in those first 15-20 mins when he was caught out badly at two of the goals for sure and hooked.  Keep saying it but had we had Kent last season none of that crap would have happened - major fail by manager and recruitment team.  Imo Kingsley is in a different league as well as being able to play in several positions. Cochrane is never going to be the answer to any questions in central midfield either. If he genuinely wants away then I hope  some of the posters are accurate and some club gives us a lot of money for him but not holding my breath.

spacerjoe
9 hours ago, cosanostra said:

If we were offered £1.5m-2m for Cochrane, I'd probably take it tbh. We've already signed another left back and we could probably sign at least two other decent quality players for that amount. Danny Armstrong and another big Frankie Kent style centre half.

That leaves us the rest of our budget to replace Beni and get a decent right back and another striker.

We still have to pay for Vargas but that's probably from last year's budget.

I imagine that that is the plan. With Penrice in we've got 4 who can play LB (Rowles has done a job there), so it makes sense that we are planning to sell.

And as mentioned above we don't need the money, so it can be reinvested.

Naismith has been converting Cochrane to an inverted full back this season, giving him plenty of game time in midfield. This makes him a different proposition to other full backs at this level. I wouldn't be surprised if we already have had clubs quite far down the line in negotiations.

cosanostra
34 minutes ago, spacerjoe said:

I imagine that that is the plan. With Penrice in we've got 4 who can play LB (Rowles has done a job there), so it makes sense that we are planning to sell.

And as mentioned above we don't need the money, so it can be reinvested.

Naismith has been converting Cochrane to an inverted full back this season, giving him plenty of game time in midfield. This makes him a different proposition to other full backs at this level. I wouldn't be surprised if we already have had clubs quite far down the line in negotiations.

Not based on anything factual, but I kind of think Cochrane is going to be sold as well. He's been an excellent signing and convincing guys who are not quite ready to play English premiership football to come to us for a couple of years to gain experience seems like an area we should be exploring.

Fozzyonthefence
9 hours ago, Watt-Zeefuik said:

I just don’t see clubs falling over themselves and offering millions to sign our players.  There would be a lot of interest on freebie / pre contracts or nominal fees no doubt but 7 figure fees, not so much.  Shankland, if he moves in summer will obviously be 7 figures but I think a lot of people on here are going to be disappointed with how much it actually is.  Cochrane could go for a for a 7 figure fee but I’d be very surprised if it is in the £2-3m bracket.   He’s certainly no Aaron Hickey and we sold him for a shitty £1.5m with Celtic taking a third of that plus a rubbish sell on clause.  A horrendous piece of business from which hopefully lessons have been learned. 

mud and mullets

I hope Cochrane stays as one of our most consistent players, unless it's a game-changing offer. We need a bigger squad for Europe, hopefully group stages next season. In the past we've often had a poorer season while in Europe (although in the last two we've still done pretty well domestically). It would be great if we could finally win the League Cup and get further in Europe, ie to the knock-out rounds, in the same season, but while also being a frontrunner for 3rd place and giving a good showing in the SC (I'm greedy). We can only really do that if we maintain a squad with enough quality competition for places and cover for the inevitable injuries. The European group stages these days are fine as the more games under the floodlights the better but nothing beats the knock-out European football in the 80s when you could genuinely dream of going on a bit of a run, like we did in 88/89.

Mind you, Savage and Naismith seem to be working well together so if someone like Cochrane does go we should have a plan to replace him, unlike when the likes of Djoum and Souttar left and we took an age to replace what they brought to the team at the time.

RustyRightPeg
7 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

I just don’t see clubs falling over themselves and offering millions to sign our players.  There would be a lot of interest on freebie / pre contracts or nominal fees no doubt but 7 figure fees, not so much.  Shankland, if he moves in summer will obviously be 7 figures but I think a lot of people on here are going to be disappointed with how much it actually is.  Cochrane could go for a for a 7 figure fee but I’d be very surprised if it is in the £2-3m bracket.   He’s certainly no Aaron Hickey and we sold him for a shitty £1.5m with Celtic taking a third of that plus a rubbish sell on clause.  A horrendous piece of business from which hopefully lessons have been learned. 

Savage wasn't in charge of Hickey's sale though. Just off the top of my head, he's managed to recoup what we paid for Kio. He can definitely negotiate a deal. I think you'll be surprised.

HopeDiouf
4 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Savage wasn't in charge of Hickey's sale though. Just off the top of my head, he's managed to recoup what we paid for Kio. He can definitely negotiate a deal. I think you'll be surprised.

On the flip side, he chose to pay money for Kio in the first place 🤣

TallPaul
12 hours ago, Homme said:

Cochrane is great and one of the best players in the squad.

Has he improved over the past year or so as you might expect a young player his age to do? IMO, no but then perhaps he has reached his limits at Hearts.

Shanks goals are irreplaceable. Cochrane, as good as he is can be replaced and bettered with the right recruitment.

Not so sure about that. Look at the issues we've had at right full back replacing Michael Smith

RustyRightPeg
15 minutes ago, HopeDiouf said:

On the flip side, he chose to pay money for Kio in the first place 🤣

True, but it was on the sign off from Neilson he did. No sooner was Neilson gone, Kio was too. 

RustyRightPeg
3 minutes ago, TallPaul said:

Not so sure about that. Look at the issues we've had at right full back replacing Michael Smith

We've only signed one right back since. Hard to say we've had issues when we've only had one...if we've signed four or five and they're all shite, fair enough but we've only signed Dexter who's shown flashes.

HopeDiouf
4 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

We've only signed one right back since. Hard to say we've had issues when we've only had one...if we've signed four or five and they're all shite, fair enough but we've only signed Dexter who's shown flashes.

offiah as well

TallPaul
23 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Really 3 since Smith stopped playing regularly. Atkinson, Offiah and Dexter. He only retired a year or so ago.

Fozzyonthefence
1 hour ago, RustyRightPeg said:

I doubt Savage will have sole say over the valuation on any outgoing transfer.  Surely that is a board decision.

RustyRightPeg
Just now, Fozzyonthefence said:

I doubt Savage will have sole say over the valuation on any outgoing transfer.  Surely that is a board decision.

In all likelihood he'd go to the board and say I've negotiated X with a business case for it. Same as he does with incomings. He's the expert in the area, I imagine the board trust his judgment...

Fozzyonthefence
14 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

In all likelihood he'd go to the board and say I've negotiated X with a business case for it. Same as he does with incomings. He's the expert in the area, I imagine the board trust his judgment...

Will be the board who has ultimate say though.  And they will have their finger on the pulse on the financial state of the club, whether the books need balanced with player sales, etc.  That’s not Savage’s job, he will be told what is needed / expected then up to him to find solutions but will be up to the board to decide if a transfer bid is accepted or not but no doubt with input from the football side, especially Naismith. 

Edited by Fozzyonthefence

Bongo 1874

If we get £2/3mil for Cochrane with a sell on fee,and maybe a few other clauses.

That's good business, Savage and Hearts should be praised for that.

Don't mind selling to the English Championship or any other league.

Rangers and Celtic are a no go,not only are they trying to weaken us,but they won't offer,anywhere near what others will.

Edited by Bongo 1874

JamboAl
1 hour ago, mud and mullets said:

I hope Cochrane stays as one of our most consistent players, unless it's a game-changing offer. We need a bigger squad for Europe, hopefully group stages next season. In the past we've often had a poorer season while in Europe (although in the last two we've still done pretty well domestically). It would be great if we could finally win the League Cup and get further in Europe, ie to the knock-out rounds, in the same season, but while also being a frontrunner for 3rd place and giving a good showing in the SC (I'm greedy). We can only really do that if we maintain a squad with enough quality competition for places and cover for the inevitable injuries. The European group stages these days are fine as the more games under the floodlights the better but nothing beats the knock-out European football in the 80s when you could genuinely dream of going on a bit of a run, like we did in 88/89.

Mind you, Savage and Naismith seem to be working well together so if someone like Cochrane does go we should have a plan to replace him, unlike when the likes of Djoum and Souttar left and we took an age to replace what they brought to the team at the time.

I hope it's quicker than they've taken to get a CD and RB

• davemclaren changed the title to Summer 24 Transfers - Vargas signs 5 year deal ( updated/merged )