Summer 24 Transfers - Beni signs 2 year deal

Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine

Phil D. Corners
4 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Hearts are a better team when Grant plays, hasn’t been spectacular but links midfield and attack.

criminally underrated by a few 

Weirdly I think he suffer from having the number 7 shirt. I feel people have expectations that he plays like Vargas or McKay. 

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• RustyRightPeg

• Batistuta87

• OTT

Rocky jamboa
6 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Hearts are a better team when Grant plays, hasn’t been spectacular but links midfield and attack.

He's mostly anonymous for me, with the very rare moments of brilliance. Doesn't do it enough and seems a bit out of his depth. Need someone better and more influential in his position.

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Probably, although surely he will get a chance to start at least one of the upcoming friendlies.  Would be negligent and abysmal management by Clarke not to.  

Will be just Shankland’s luck that the only chance he gets to prove himself is tonight, away to Netherlands where he will probably hardly get a kick of the ball.  Clarke will then see that as justification to persist with Dykes / Adams no matter how badly they play.  Would probably be best from Shanks’ point of view to miss tonight and play 90 minutes against N Ireland. 

Clarke rarely experiments or plays players if his favourites are available, the original squad hasn’t changed much since the last Euros 3 years ago. 

Pasquale for King
2 minutes ago, Rocky jamboa said:

He's mostly anonymous for me, with the very rare moments of brilliance. Doesn't do it enough and seems a bit out of his depth. Need someone better and more influential in his position.

Spot on

GinRummy
10 minutes ago, Rocky jamboa said:

You’re right. The Morton game was a performance all too typical for him. Not sure if it’s the lack of time on the ball or the physical aspect of Scottish football but his good performances are thin on the ground. Shame really because we can all see how good he can be 

Hungry hippo
7 minutes ago, Phil D. Corners said:

Weirdly I think he suffer from having the number 7 shirt. I feel people have expectations that he plays like Vargas or McKay. 

I really don't think that.

Grant just has games a few too many games where he's a luxury but has others where he can be very effective.

He just needs to up the ratio of games where he contributes which he has been doing but still has games like at Morton where he's very poor.

Similarly to Oda he's often been more effective coming off the bench.

HopeDiouf
2 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

You’re right. The Morton game was a performance all too typical for him. Not sure if it’s the lack of time on the ball or the physical aspect of Scottish football but his good performances are thin on the ground. Shame really because we can all see how good he can be 

he had to wait for his chance under Naismith, but since he got that chance (and scored), he's played (start or subbed on) in every game other than a 4 game spell he was out injured.  Fairly clear the manager likes him.

soonbe110
2 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Yes, it’s a strange one.  He was outstanding in both wins against Celtic this season but hasn’t done it often enough though to be fair he was in and out of the team week after week at the start of the season. Beni Grant and Hof is probably our strongest midfield three. 

Smithian

Hearts doing good work early on pre-contracts. Won't need transfers for midfield depth. Could stop adding right now and be okay there.

Plenty of money available for a big signing at RB. Or for a luxury transfer with a high ceiling.

I'm excited. Hearts doing the boring work easy of building midfield depth and CB depth is pretty strong. Plenty of money in the tank for a splash move and to react immediately to any sell of Shankland or Cochrane or whomever else.

hmfc_liam06
2 hours ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

Working on the basis a few are away and others just generally sicknotes, what it looks like perhaps, with departures

GK: Clark Gordon

RB: Atkinson

LB: Penrice Kingsley

CB: Kent Rowles Nielson

CM: Devlin, Spittal, Nieuwenhof, Tait, Denholm

AM/W: McKay, Forrest, Oda, Dhanda, Pollock

F: Shankland, Vargas, Tagawa

Omissions, Boyce and Halkett, legs have fallen off, transferred out either willingly or unwillingly, Sibbick, Cochrane, Haring, Grant, Beni, Dexter and Fraser loans complete.

4 more in then I reckon assuming no one else disappears. No doubt I have forgotten someone

Seen a lot of folk either mention Spittal as a replacement for Fraser/Grant or refer to him as a CM.

He's a right winger according to Transfermrkt? I'm thinking he completes our wide options.

Edited by hmfc_liam06

Ricardo Quaresma
2 hours ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

Dont think there will be first picks, there will be competition, strong by the looks of it, just look at the keepers. Forrest nowhere near a first pick in the early months of the season and pretty much our best player of late

I think everyone will get a fair crack at it

They do really well, they get more, including bigger games

kingantti1874
21 minutes ago, Rocky jamboa said:

Thing is he’s rarely going to deliver brilliance, he is going to make himself available for a pass, he does make his way into the right position a and he can execute a pass to make the team function better as a whole without standing out. Stand by it - we function far better as a team when he plays and confident that the stats would back that up.

Paris 84
4 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Seen a lot of folk either mention Spittal as a replacement for Fraser/Grant or refer to him as a CM.

He's a right winger according to Transfermrkt? I'm thinking he completes our wide options.

It’s a lot of crap if it thinks he’s a right winger. 

Ricardo Quaresma
Just now, kingantti1874 said:

Still a load of made up shite 

Yes, it's too low an' that, but it's good to see that the reports are going in and values up

Squad value over €20M now, sheep under 14 :smuggy:

hmfc_liam06
5 minutes ago, Paris 84 said:

It’s a lot of crap if it thinks he’s a right winger. 

Appearances by position throughout his career:

RW - 90 

AM - 56

RM - 55

LW - 50

CM - 35

LM - 32

Going by that he's certainly not a CM. However it does appear he's been used as more an AM last 2 season. If that's the case, it would be a weird signing given we've signed Dhanda, who looks to be exclusively an AM.

Edited by hmfc_liam06

gar jambo
43 minutes ago, Phil D. Corners said:

No Grant! Apart for a few penalties has not improved and will not improve  ! I think you will notice the Difference with spittal and Dhanda! I would let him go! 

Ex member of the SaS

Pleasing to see the pre contract signings as we always tend to wait until the end of the window, when all the good players have been snapped up.

RustyRightPeg
19 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

RW - 90 

AM - 56

RM - 55

LW - 50

CM - 35

LM - 32

Going by that he's certainly not a CM. However it does appear he's been used as more an AM last 2 season. If that's the case, it would be a weird signing given we've signed Dhanda, who looks to be exclusively an AM.

He plays just off the front for Motherwell and that's where he's done his best work. Dhanda can play off either side. Lots of flexibility.

16 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

RW - 90 

AM - 56

RM - 55

LW - 50

CM - 35

LM - 32

Fraser and probably Grant won't be here next season. Dhanda and Spittal are their replacements imo.

51 minutes ago, Rocky jamboa said:

Probably our best player in the 2-0 win at Parkhead

hmfc_liam06
8 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

He plays just off the front for Motherwell and that's where he's done his best work. Dhanda can play off either side. Lots of flexibility.

Going to be interesting to see how the squad shapes up.

pettigrewsstylist
3 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

I don’t think Shankland will get any more than 30 minutes at the Euros unless there’s an injury to the players ahead of him. He’s been scoring goals for 2 years and Clark has ignored him, preferring Dykes or Adams. I don’t see that changing

I know what you mean but every single person i speak to says Clarke has to pick him.

Clarke will have to explain why, If Shanks does well in the 4 friendlies.

Long way to go, in football terms, tbh.

davemclaren
15 minutes ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

Pleasing to see the pre contract signings as we always tend to wait until the end of the window, when all the good players have been snapped up.

🥸

Paris 84
30 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

RW - 90 

AM - 56

RM - 55

LW - 50

CM - 35

LM - 32

My point was that if you were only going to look at positional stats, we’d never have signed him. Like Paul Hartley, if you’d only  looked at his career stats prior to him signing it would have shown that he was predominantly a right winger. We signed PH after Billy Stark had converted him to central midfield at St Johnstone and he was impressive. 

I’m not saying Spittal will be the next Paul Hartley but he similarly kicked about various teams being played mostly out wide but has  grabbed the CM/AM role at Motherwell over the past two seasons and has been superb for them. That’s why we’ve signed him. 

WASTREL
3 hours ago, Chimp said:

I can't see how Dhanda won't be first pick either. I think he'll be a cert to start most games and doubt he'll be coming here to warm the bench. He's the pick of the bunch out of the new signings for me so far.

I agree 3 strong signings all hungry and wanting to be seen as "first picks"  ... just read that Spittal as a winger for Motherwell has 11 goals and 9 assists so far this season.  That must be almost as many league and cup goals as all remaining Hearts squad players added together.  Puzzled why some see him/them as make weight benchwarmers for next Season.

Seen a stat on X yesterday. I think Spittal delivered the 4th highest amount of crosses into the box in the Premiership. Our highest was Cochrane who was down in maybe 10th overall and 40 odd crosses behind him. 

So Shanks, or whoever else fills his gap can expect plenty of service from him.

stevie1874
1 hour ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Still think we've no chance this window. If one of the OF get scent we're looking at him they'll simply put more money on the table. He's a top player even at 16 years old.

Agree but think we should test the water. 

stevie1874
1 hour ago, kingantti1874 said:

Good player just wish he’d boss games more,  he has the ability but tends to flit in and out of games. 

Fozzyonthefence
19 minutes ago, pettigrewsstylist said:

I know what you mean but every single person i speak to says Clarke has to pick him.

I just get the impression Clarke will be looking for excuses not to pick him (like a game tonight where he will get very limited service).  No way Shanks will start all 4 friendlies so he really has to impress (score) in any he does.   I think it will be in his best interests that he doesn’t play tonight and plays against N Ireland instead (on the assumption he will only start one or the other). 

Looking at Carver’s comments too, it’s like Shankland scoring loads of goals and even one for Scotland has been a surprise to the management team.  The guy has scored almost 60 goals in less than 2 seasons ffs!  How many seasons combined would that take Dykes, Adams and Brown?

pettigrewsstylist
22 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

🥸

I reckon SN wants people given as much time as possible to learn his ethos, styles and tactics. 

Batistuta87

For every good game, he has a shite one. 

Not nearly consistent enough and makes loads of mistakes. 

Wouldn't miss him if he left tomorrow. 

pettigrewsstylist
Just now, Fozzyonthefence said:

I just get the impression Clarke will be looking for excuses not to pick him (like a game tonight where he will get very limited service).  No way Shanks will start all 4 friendlies so he really has to impress (score) in any he does.   I think it will be in his best interests that he doesn’t play tonight and plays against N Ireland instead (on the assumption he will only start one or the other). 

Looking at Carver’s comments too, it’s like Shankland scoring loads of goals and even one for Scotland has been a surprise to the management team.  The guy has scored almost 60 goals in less than 2 seasons ffs!  How many seasons combined would that take Dykes, Adams and Brown?

Totally agree, tonight is a way to fail him. Im not 100% on Clarkes desire to break his mould/fraternity tbh. Hope im way off.

pettigrewsstylist
2 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

For every good game, he has a shite one. 

Not nearly consistent enough and makes loads of mistakes. 

Wouldn't miss him if he left tomorrow. 

Mediocre amongst mediocrity tbh. We need better, and we can.

Fozzyonthefence
2 minutes ago, pettigrewsstylist said:

Totally agree, tonight is a way to fail him. Im not 100% on Clarkes desire to break his mould/fraternity tbh. Hope im way off.

Yep, if he starts tonight he’s going to have to put in a Dykes type performance putting himself about physically or an Adams type performance running all the channels and chasing down lost causes (the latter isn’t his game).  Then hope a chance or even a half chance comes his way and he does the business. 

WASTREL

This for me

jamboinglasgow
3 minutes ago, pettigrewsstylist said:

I reckon SN wants people given as much time as possible to learn his ethos, styles and tactics. 

Its also worth noting that with all the international tournaments and matches going on in the Summer there could be a few players missing when pre-season starts:

Gordon, Clark, Shankland, potentially Kingsley (depending on injuries for Scotland,) Vargas, potentially all four Aussies as Australia have two games in June. Oda could have summer Olympics preparation.

So say realistically 7 players missing when pre-season starts (either still playing or getting time off.) Which means they could be short at the start of pre-season, so getting new players in early helps that.

JimmyCant
38 minutes ago, pettigrewsstylist said:

Dykes is a very hard working outball who brings our midfield up with him and beyond. An essential element and a big factor in why we punch above our weight. I cant see Shankland doing that job as well as Dykes does it.

Shankland might work as a 2 with Adams. Adams would benefit from that too IMO, but Clarke won’t play a 2 unless we need a goal late on. He certainly has to take him to Germany for that very reason.

If expect Shankland to get 2 full games in the next 4. He’ll have to grab that chance. He’ll have to score at least once to even ask Clarke the question about starting the Euros. I wouldn’t start him tonight

Clarke doesn’t have any explaining to do really. His results explain everything.

Edited by JimmyCant

1 hour ago, GinRummy said:

Looks at times that he dwells or the pace of the game is too much for him. Decent technical footballer but just all too frequently on the edge of the game imo.

He'll know his number is up with Dhanda and Spittal arriving I'm quite sure. Similarly, Penrice is unlikely to have rejected overtures from clubs in English Championship if he was likely to come here as backup to Cochrane. Getting the basis of the squad composition sorted early on. 

I can see us being quite adventurous with what we try and add to the group beyond these signings. Entirely possible we look to take someone out of Dundee for a significant seven figure sum with a platform to perform and net the club a several fold return in the next 2/3 years. That's definitely the model aligned to a pathway for guys like Tait/Pollock etc. 

pettigrewsstylist
1 minute ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Yep, if he starts tonight he’s going to have to put in a Dykes type performance putting himself about physically or an Adams type performance running all the channels and chasing down lost causes (the latter isn’t his game).  Then hope a chance or even a half chance comes his way and he does the business. 

Whereas the sensible approach is to let the less prolific finishers do that work for 45mins  and then bring on the golden boots finisher when the extra yard or second is available. 

Clarkes not daft. If he wants to, he will create reasons to dampen enthusiasm for Shankland and just say international standard is big jump up. Hoping he puts country first.

pettigrewsstylist
3 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Dykes is a very hard working outball who brings our midfield up with him and beyond. An essential element and a big factor in why we punch above our weight. I cant see Shankland doing that job as well as Dykes does it.

Shankland might work as a 2 with Adams. Adams would benefit from that too IMO, but Clarke won’t play a 2 unless we need a goal late on. He certainly has to take him to Germany for that very reason.

If expect Shankland to get 2 full games in the next 4. He’ll have to grab that chance. He’ll have to score at least once to even ask Clarke the question about starting the Euros.

Clarke doesn’t have any explaining to do really. His results explain everything.

Agreed that Shankland doesnt have the legs of Dykes to do that for extended minutes. Also agreed he needs to score in next 4 friendlies. The clamour is real tho. He could refuse to explain of course, but he will be asked why if he chooses not to take him.

Fozzyonthefence
1 minute ago, JimmyCant said:

If expect Shankland to get 2 full games in the next 4. He’ll have to grab that chance. He’ll have to score at least once to even ask Clarke the question about starting the Euros.

Agree with most of that but Shankland has to be given chances in the friendlies. That would be shite management if he doesn’t (and I wouldn’t consider 1 start as a serious chance in those 4 games but that may be all he gets plus 20 or 30 minutes here or there).  

Results have been mostly good but the last Euros he failed badly and needs to improve at the business end of tournaments.  We can’t keep on relying on midfielders to grab a goal so it makes sense to fit in a striker who has scored nearly 60 goals in less than 2 seasons, especially when we don’t even have another striker worthy of the name.  

scott herbertson
37 minutes ago, pettigrewsstylist said:

Donald Ford scenario coming up - Denis Law chosen over him at the World Cup inGermany 74 against Zaire when goal difference require and Law was clearly well past his best (and physically tired) . Scotland's best goalscorer on the bench all match

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/zaire-scotland-score-regret-for-hearts-ace-ford-1549100?amp

Uncle Buck
2 hours ago, 1874robbo said:

When’s he been very good then buck?

For a start he was one of the best players on the park in our win at Parkhead. He also quite often has come off the bench and changed the game this season. Grant is a good player. Inconsistent, but good.

sirwalter
17 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Carver's description of Shankland as a player was laughably inaccurate. One had to wonder if he has ever seen him play for Hearts.

Fozzyonthefence
7 minutes ago, pettigrewsstylist said:

Whereas the sensible approach is to let the less prolific finishers do that work for 45mins  and then bring on the golden boots finisher when the extra yard or second is available. 

Clarkes not daft. If he wants to, he will create reasons to dampen enthusiasm for Shankland and just say international standard is big jump up. Hoping he puts country first.

So you think Naismith should do that with Hearts too, start with Shankland on the bench?  Actually that could be a good shout - we never score in the first half anyway unless we get a penalty!

JimmyCant

Thing is he’s rarely going to deliver brilliance, he is going to make himself available for a pass, he does make his way into the right position a and he can execute a pass to make the team function better as a whole without standing out. Stand by it - we function far better as a team when he plays and confident that the stats would back that up.

He’s a capable player. The number of times I’ve watched him though and thought ‘he’s better than that’ sometimes he hides a bit if it’s not happening for him and that’s just a man short. If he could just up his levels 10% and keep coming back for

more when its maybe not working for him he’d be a far more valuable contributor. If we get Dhanda and Spittal, Grants got some job on his hands getting game time and frankly we wouldn’t really miss him.

Toxteth O'Grady
11 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Its also worth noting that with all the international tournaments and matches going on in the Summer there could be a few players missing when pre-season starts:

Gordon, Clark, Shankland, potentially Kingsley (depending on injuries for Scotland,) Vargas, potentially all four Aussies as Australia have two games in June. Oda could have summer Olympics preparation.

So say realistically 7 players missing when pre-season starts (either still playing or getting time off.) Which means they could be short at the start of pre-season, so getting new players in early helps that.

Good point. At least these 3 should signings  in quickly which is even more important this year. 

pettigrewsstylist
4 minutes ago, scott herbertson said:

Donald Ford scenario coming up - Denis Law chosen over him at the World Cup inGermany 74 against Zaire when goal difference require and Law was clearly well past his best (and physically tired) . Scotland's best goalscorer on the bench all match

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/zaire-scotland-score-regret-for-hearts-ace-ford-1549100?amp

Yeah, been thinking about this man today. When i was a kid at Tynie in late 70s this chat was very raw among our fanbase still.

• davemclaren changed the title to Summer 24 Transfers - Beni signs 2 year deal