Summer 24 Transfers - Beni signs 2 year deal

Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine

Skacelsid

Good signings without the spend leaving funds available for better options for striker and centre back. We can also let the likes of Grant and Fraser move on and be more selective with contract extensions. These three ( Penrice/Spittal/Dhanda ) all know our league and will have no settling in period. Good solid start to next seasons business.

Edited by Skacelsid

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• RustyRightPeg

• Batistuta87

• OTT

HopeDiouf
1 minute ago, Sub4TiddlerMurray said:

Correct. Shanks doesn’t fit the profile that Clement wants. He wants fast athletic forwards to fit his system and wouldn’t want to change the template to accommodate someone like Shanks.

When he was at Ayr, many people saw him as good at that level but questioned whether or not he could make the step up. I suspect a lot of teams that can afford the asking price now are still asking the same question. At least I’m hoping that’s the case and he’s stuck with us 😁

thats exactly how I see it.  If someone wants to take him off us for next season, they'll have to take the gamble and stump up the money

LarrysRightFoot
4 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

So looking at the players we think could be leaving, I've been looking for some potential replacements from the free agent / pre-contract market. Have mentioned some of them before but also found some new ones since: 

Shankland is obviously going to be the most difficult one, but:

Luka Schuler (GER), 25, Currently in 2.Bundesliga but officially his first season in an "A" team having been with Schalke II last season. He has bagged a few goals, not masses, but looks like he has a lot of potential and reminds me of a young Thomas Muller. 

Scott Hogan (IRE), 31, Currently at Birmingham and not looking like he'll get a new deal. Has bags of experience and even at 31 has a good turn of pace. Decent finisher and I think he would slot into our team very well. Reminds me of Connor Washington (but better). 

Liam Cullen (WAL), 24, Would only be possible if Swansea don't fancy keeping him because he'll be on decent money. Good young striker though with a handful of goals in the Championship. 

Jay Rodriguez (ENG), 33, At the end of his career now but still has pace, still gets in about it, and I reckon could do a fantastic job for us for a year. Would be a Snodgrass type signing, as someone who has been on magabucks previously. 

Jamie Vardy (ENG), 37, Imagine 😂

Jamie Maclaren (AUS), 30, Natural goalscorer like Shankland. Has bags of pace, plenty experience, but don't know what sort of money he earns. 

Wendel (BRA), 23, Playing for Porto's B team just now he has a goal every 2 games. Could be an ambitious one but could also pay off massively if Porto don't fancy him any more. Will be on buttons and who doesn't love the idea of signing a Brazilian? 

Devante Cole (ENG), 28, Has done alright for himself since leaving Motherwell. Sitting on a goal every couple of games with Barnsley. I remember him being quick and strong and always causing problems. 

Beni next... 

The Hearts fan that played with Hibs? 

AndyNic
4 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

So looking at the players we think could be leaving, I've been looking for some potential replacements from the free agent / pre-contract market. Have mentioned some of them before but also found some new ones since: 

Shankland is obviously going to be the most difficult one, but:

Jamie Maclaren (AUS), 30, Natural goalscorer like Shankland. Has bags of pace, plenty experience, but don't know what sort of money he earns. 

:what:

1 minute ago, Chimp said:

That's maybe because he's a defensive midfielder and his job primarily isn't to go forward. He can't do everything. Using those examples of when he did is basically proof that he has a bit of that in his locker.

I'm not looking for him to be all singing all dancing, but his attacking output is a lot more limited than lesser players. 

And him having it in his locker but so rarely using it is part of why I'm highlighting it. He can do it, he just doesn't naturally want to. If we want to improve our attacking play, we need to be getting the ball to the likes of Shanks, Forrest, Oda etc. quicker. Too often are we dicking about with short passes whilst the other team gets back into position. 

Beni seems to have his own fan club on here, so its one of those ones where you have to grab the kid gloves when you say anything negative. Yes, he's a wonderful defensive mid, but I think getting a more well rounded player that can among other things, more easily take risks in getting the ball forward wouldn't be a bad thing. As I say, I'm not too worried we'll struggle to replace him. Baccus, Fuchs or Phillips all seem more than viable options. 

GinRummy
Just now, Skacelsid said:

Good signings without the spend leaving funds available for better options for striker and centre back. We can also let the likes of Grant and Fraser move on and be more selective with contract extensions. These three all know our league and will have no settling in period. Good solid start to next seasons business.

I’m quite pleased with the three signings. Agree, it’s a solid start but not to put just because they know the league doesn’t mean they won’t take time to settle. There’s a big difference playing for hearts compared to Livi or Ross county. 

Just now, OTT said:

I'm not looking for him to be all singing all dancing, but his attacking output is a lot more limited than lesser players. 

And him having it in his locker but so rarely using it is part of why I'm highlighting it. He can do it, he just doesn't naturally want to. If we want to improve our attacking play, we need to be getting the ball to the likes of Shanks, Forrest, Oda etc. quicker. Too often are we dicking about with short passes whilst the other team gets back into position. 

Beni seems to have his own fan club on here, so its one of those ones where you have to grab the kid gloves when you say anything negative. Yes, he's a wonderful defensive mid, but I think getting a more well rounded player that can among other things, more easily take risks in getting the ball forward wouldn't be a bad thing. As I say, I'm not too worried we'll struggle to replace him. Baccus, Fuchs or Phillips all seem more than viable options. 

You literally are though 😂

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Not Joel Skeds greatest fan, but totally agree, these are the sensible signings.

If Cochrane does move on, would expect another left back to come in, can see Kingsley spending rest of his days in the middle. Particularly with Halketts health. Penrice offers reasonable squad depth. 

Spittal I think is a more talented player than what I have seen of Fraser, be surprised if he stays on now. 

Should Beni and Shanks go, we need to replace these and address right back, the 3 coming provide squad depth, still think we need some real quality to push it on a bit further, but they are harder to find and tend to come later in the day.

Just now, Chimp said:

You literally are though 😂

No, more well rounded isn't demanding he do both brilliantly - Look at Cammy Devlin, he's been really working on his passing to be more well rounded and more than just a defensive mid. 

I'm just asking for more of that. 

Valois No1

All 3 players are good signings and shouldn’t break the bank. I do agree with some posters where hopefully this allows us to go and get a higher quality of player in for certain positions. Solid signings though. 

PhoenixHearts
1 hour ago, Leveins Battalion said:

I really hope we are in for Josh Knight,would be class alongside Kent.

Any relation to Zap?

33 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

Not if we grab Baccus on a pre-contract from St Mirren 😎

That would be some going to replace 3 top players in 3 positions with just one lad from St Mirren 😂

Just kidding - would be a good addition but we're very unlikely to pick up 3 players of their calibre on freebies from the Scottish league 

1 minute ago, OTT said:

No, more well rounded isn't demanding he do both brilliantly - Look at Cammy Devlin, he's been really working on his passing to be more well rounded and more than just a defensive mid. 

I'm just asking for more of that. 

He might have been working on it, doesn't mean he's actually doing that or improving in that aspect. That's just what Naismith has said he wants to mould him into. 

Beni's position is a defensive midfielder, not a creative midfielder who bombs forward all the time. It's not his game and players play in different positions for a reason. It's not as simple as saying Beni - Go and break up all the play, keep the ball and constantly drive forward and dribble past a few players to create chances.

Hagar the Horrible

I still think we need a direct replacement for Halket,  Rowles and Kent both need to have a more experienced CH beside them, to bring them both on,  Replacing Beni will be next on the agenda, but he might stay if we make a real statement of intent, which looks to be the case with the 3 signings we have so far, and we are not even at the split yet, that's 3 players who gill get a pre-season with us.  3 players not last minute signings after the season is under way.

It does stink of a bit of Sevco, taking 3 clubs best players, which will strengthen us and weaken them.......YEAAHHH.  Difference is, we will play them and bring them on....SHANKS.

Not finished this season yet, and already I cant wait until August

Gorgierools

If,has been mentioned, we get Bacchus and Strain. We'd then have potentially half the Aussie team. All good player but could be problematic come international times.

For the record, I'd Make Armstrong a priority.

Edited by Gorgierools

Gundermann
14 hours ago, RustyRightPeg said:

“Reeks of cheapness” I’ve seen on X already 

One said yon Mariah-Walsh was several levels above them all. Will he even be there come the end of May?

Notice Lyall Cameron scored for the U21s last night BTW.

kingantti1874
6 minutes ago, Valois No1 said:

All 3 players are good signings and shouldn’t break the bank. I do agree with some posters where hopefully this allows us to go and get a higher quality of player in for certain positions. Solid signings though. 

definately. Instead of spending 400k on a left back and 400k on a Grant replacement we can spend £800k on a Danny Armstrong 😜

Sub4TiddlerMurray
2 minutes ago, OTT said:

Beni seems to have his own fan club on here, so it’s one of those ones where you have to grab the kid gloves when you say anything negative. Yes, he's a wonderful defensive mid, but I think getting a more well rounded player that can among other things, more easily take risks in getting the ball forward wouldn't be a bad thing. As I say, I'm not too worried we'll struggle to replace him. Baccus, Fuchs or Phillips all seem more than viable options. 

And rightly so. Reason being he’s (objectively) one of the most talented midfielders to wear the jersey. And neither Baccus, Fuchs nor Phillips can lace his boots.

kingantti1874
Just now, Gorgierools said:

If,has been mentioned, we get Bacchus and Strain. We'd then have potentially half the Aussie team. All good player but could be problematic come international times.

strain of take. Baccus.  I’d rather we push the boat out for Allan Campbell 

1 minute ago, Sub4TiddlerMurray said:

And rightly so. Reason being he’s (objectively) one of the most talented midfielders to wear the jersey. And neither Baccus, Fuchs nor Phillips can lace his boots.

We'll see if they can. 

2 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

So would I. I just can't see him coming here though, I reckon he'll have good offers down south that we just couldn't compete with.

4 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

He'd be a hell of a good signing TBF

Lord Beni of Gorgie
2 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

When is his contract up? He will still be interesting Championship teams. Dont think he played for Millwall last week, they had another lad from Spurs Tananga who was quite impressive on loan.

I hope we are looking down there again, Beni and Simms were absolute quality, convincing these types can be hard, but with perhaps 10 guaranteed European matches, bar Aberdeen fluking the cup, might just about be doable

ArcticJambo

A DM should do more than defend. The ball is there to be passed (as long as there are options available forward). Imo, Beni dioesn't pass the ball forward enough, and it is for this reason I'd be willing to replace.

dsk1210
1 hour ago, mud and mullets said:

Either Rangers (who probably don't have the money) or Celtic (who definitely do) would have become instant favourites for the league if they'd coughed up the 5-6m for Shankland we'd probably accept, which is still nothing by their spending standards for a proven 20-goal/year striker at his peak age. The OF's reluctance to pay for good home grown talent while splurging millions on random players from abroad always amazes me. 

If Shankland does run his contract down, one of the OF will probably take him just because they can. Doesn't mean he'd be first choice there though.

They don't want Scottish clubs getting any decent money as it may help bridge the gap a little

1 minute ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

When is his contract up? He will still be interesting Championship teams. Dont think he played for Millwall last week, they had another lad from Spurs Tananga who was quite impressive on loan.

I hope we are looking down there again, Beni and Simms were absolute quality, convincing these types can be hard, but with perhaps 10 guaranteed European matches, bar Aberdeen fluking the cup, might just about be doable

I personally think it's the best market to shop in. Players who have been on the fringes of Premier League clubs and lost their way a little bit, or have a point to prove. So much quality in the B squads down south that goes to waste or just fall away under the radar.

Jim Panzee
11 hours ago, gjcc said:

IMG_8595.thumb.jpeg.316c215746962e0fd3aa33900cc1ac60.jpeg

We absolutely have to sign this guy - just think of the increased competition in the squad!!!.....not on the park....I mean in the club canteen.

I'm already dreaming of the barging and jostling for position when the bacon sangwiches, cream cakes and doughnuts get served!!

IMG_1597.thumb.jpeg.535c9ea957da0b7ae7ebc57a65d18589.jpegIMG_2780.thumb.jpeg.6453c66f47e6205d109bcf9014395378.jpeg

Skye1874
8 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Agree with this. These two would add a lot of balance to team now 

Batistuta87

Now for some potential Beni Beningime replacements, if he leaves:

Another difficult one because he's been such a key player for us, but here goes:

Keanu Baccus (AUS), 25, Done well for St Mirren, wouldn't hesitate to sign him given the opportunity. Another poster has hinted at interest from Coventry though, so if true you'd think he'll be going there. 

Callum Connolly (ENG), 26, Was at Everton as a kid when Naismith was there. He'll know him. Currently at Blackpool and doing well. Capable of dropping back into defence as well, he could be a very useful player to us. 

Greg Docherty (SCO), 28, At Hull just now. Been mentioned plenty on here already. 

Sonny Carey (ENG), 23, Cracking on for Blackpool and looking like a very good young player. Will likely have offers down south but definitely worth a look. Has some engine on him. 

Hakeem Odoffin (ENG), 25, Had a brief stint at Livingston but really found his stride and has been doing well for Rotherham and has even chipped in a couple of goals from a defensive mid position. Can also drop back to defence, will know the league, and is obviously willing to play in Scotland. 

Joe Allen (WAL), 33, One of the most experienced and still capable CMs who will be in our ball park. Could be a superb addition for a year and would teach his teammates a lot. 

Markus Henriksen (NOR), 31, Jumped between the English Championship and Holland throughout his career and currently with Rosenborg in Norway, he'd add composure, experience and the odd goal from the middle of the park. 

Idriz Voca (BHG), 26, A wee hard-tackling aggressive nuisance of a DM currently playing in Serie B. Can play in any of the three central midfield positions. Would add some good old Bosnian craziness to our team and along with someone like Cammy could be a real hard barrier for teams to break down.

Jamie Lindsay (SCO), 28, Ex-Celtic and Ross County, currently a teammate of Odoffin at Rotherham. Another player who will know the league and after a stint down south might have gained some useful experience. 

Callum Slattery (ENG), 25, Linked up well with Spittal at Motherwell. Decent squad option for us if there are a few leaving. 

Cameron McGeehan (NIR), 28, Goal-scoring midfielders are hard to find. Looking like he'll finish the season on double figures. Another aggressive midfielder with a good engine but again probably only a squad option. 

Loads more out there. These just caught my eye. 

Cochrane next... 

Edited by Batistuta87

wavydavy
43 minutes ago, XB52 said:

Phillips and Armstrong please. If we keep Shankland too we can finish our transfer business 

We need a RWB.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

I personally think it's the best market to shop in. Players who have been on the fringes of Premier League clubs and lost their way a little bit, or have a point to prove. So much quality in the B squads down south that goes to waste or just fall away under the radar.

I really believe thats where the quality lies. 10 European games guaranteed must float the boat for some players if not all, great development opportunity good training facilities and a coach who has a decent enough reputation down there.

Batistuta87
25 minutes ago, LarrysRightFoot said:

The Hearts fan that played with Hibs? 

25 minutes ago, AndyNic said:

:what:

In the past lads. Move on. You sometimes need to put your loyalties to one side as a footballer and as long as he worked hard and rattled a couple in to them, I'd be delighted to have him. 

Edited by Batistuta87

Just now, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

I really believe thats where the quality lies. 10 European games guaranteed must float the boat for some players if not all, great development opportunity good training facilities and a coach who has a decent enough reputation down there.

You'd really like to hope that European football is a big draw or incentive. Didn't really do much to help us last time out but I'm feeling more confident this time round.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

You'd really like to hope that European football is a big draw or incentive. Didn't really do much to help us last time out but I'm feeling more confident this time round.

Yep, I agree, Naismith over Neilson, beating Celtic a couple of times and we have grown the squad since then too. I wasn't too excited last night with the news, quickly reminded myself this morning you need a squad, there will be quite a few leaving this summer too I expect. 

There will be room for quality additions and we seem to be ahead of the game

wavydavy
11 minutes ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

Him and Strain are out of contract at the end of the current season.

Batistuta87
19 minutes ago, Taffin said:

That would be some going to replace 3 top players in 3 positions with just one lad from St Mirren 😂

Just kidding - would be a good addition but we're very unlikely to pick up 3 players of their calibre on freebies from the Scottish league 

Would be one of them sorted though 🤣

Not convinced we would need to replace Cochrane if he left, considering we have Kingsley and Penrice is on his way. 

Would just leave Shankland to replace and there's loads of strikers out there. There doesn't seem to be a "safe option", i.e. someone scoring in Scotland, but loads of lads with potential to do well here. 

wavydavy
19 minutes ago, Hagar the Horrible said:

I still think we need a direct replacement for Halket,  Rowles and Kent both need to have a more experienced CH beside them, to bring them both on,  Replacing Beni will be next on the agenda, but he might stay if we make a real statement of intent, which looks to be the case with the 3 signings we have so far, and we are not even at the split yet, that's 3 players who gill get a pre-season with us.  3 players not last minute signings after the season is under way.

It does stink of a bit of Sevco, taking 3 clubs best players, which will strengthen us and weaken them.......YEAAHHH.  Difference is, we will play them and bring them on....SHANKS.

Not finished this season yet, and already I cant wait until August

I agree especially with his injury history. We really can't depend on him now and I think we were a bit rash in offering him a new contract.

Beni I don't think is so much about us making a statemnet and more about him being closer to his family.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
4 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

Him and Strain are out of contract at the end of the current season.

Either injured or out of the picture on loan currently (Campbell) we would be a good point to restart, if he can handle a drop in salary

14 minutes ago, Jim Panzee said:

We absolutely have to sign this guy - just think of the increased competition in the squad!!!.....not on the park....I mean in the club canteen.

I'm already dreaming of the barging and jostling for position when the bacon sangwiches, cream cakes and doughnuts get served!!

IMG_1597.thumb.jpeg.535c9ea957da0b7ae7ebc57a65d18589.jpegIMG_2780.thumb.jpeg.6453c66f47e6205d109bcf9014395378.jpeg

:rofl:

GavK1012
1 hour ago, Rick Sanchez said:

He's a Rangers fan and that's where he'll end up IMO. He'd be a Kris Boyd for the Sunday games, a reserve striker.

We'll either accept a low ball offer of about 1.5-2m or he'll go there for free the season after.

I've already came to terms with it, it'll soften the blow. I hope we're already planning for it 🤞

Hearts won't accept a pitiful amount from Sevco for Shanks, absolutely no chance. If he goes to Sevco it's on a free next summer, when he is 30 or just shy of, and we have had 3 years out of him as a top class striker. Bookmark 👌

jbee647
30 minutes ago, Chimp said:

So would I. I just can't see him coming here though, I reckon he'll have good offers down south that we just couldn't compete with.

28 minutes ago, OTT said:

He'd be a hell of a good signing TBF

I can see Campbell at Aberdeen or Hibs next season, just a feeling 

5 minutes ago, GavK1012 said:

Hearts won't accept a pitiful amount from Sevco for Shanks, absolutely no chance. If he goes to Sevco it's on a free next summer, when he is 30 or just shy of, and we have had 3 years out of him as a top class striker. Bookmark 👌

With you on that. Whilst I would happily keep him till contract ends, want him to play his socks off in the euros to generate real interest from England and abroad. Us getting big bucks and shanks getting a career defining move - would accept that. I’m sure we are tracking potential forwards just in case. Pre-contracts show we are ahead of the game 👍

jbee647
21 minutes ago, Chimp said:

Unfortunate for the majority of players nowadays a big bank balance is a far bigger draw 

Success for many is not medals on the  shelf but how many £s in the bank

8 minutes ago, jbee647 said:

I can see Campbell at Aberdeen or Hibs next season, just a feeling 

He's in a bit of a weird space where he's probably not quite in the market the OF look at, but would probably be a big stretch for anyone else to afford. 

That said, if there is any interest in him from Aberdeen or Hibs, we've got to be getting him - I'd even shut up about Jeando Fuchs! :lol: 

2 minutes ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

Yep, I agree, Naismith over Neilson, beating Celtic a couple of times and we have grown the squad since then too. I wasn't too excited last night with the news, quickly reminded myself this morning you need a squad, there will be quite a few leaving this summer too I expect. 

There will be room for quality additions and we seem to be ahead of the game

Definitely. Naismith will have a far better contact network in England and he's well known from his time down there. He's well thought of by all accounts too. Can only work in our favour with regards to transfers. 

I was feeling similar, I wouldn't say I'm excited by the new signings but reasonably pleased and definitely seems like sensible business.

37 minutes ago, jbee647 said:

Unfortunate for the majority of players nowadays a big bank balance is a far bigger draw 

Success for many is not medals on the  shelf but how many £s in the bank

True, but fortunately we have a bit more money in the bank now and the lure of Europe will be a nice sweetener. Could definitely sway players who are a bit more ambitious.

Just now, Mac80 said:

We just signed Penrice on a pre

Penrice plays on the left mate

• davemclaren changed the title to Summer 24 Transfers - Beni signs 2 year deal