Summer 24 Transfers - Vargas signs 5 year deal ( updated/merged )

Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine

kingantti1874
23 minutes ago, Watt-Zeefuik said:

It's not a "closing date" it's a "slams shut" date. Do better FFS.

I guess I'm in the minority in that I think Shanks will still be here in September but even so I'd not mind having a bog standard, inexpensive SPFL striker out training with the forwards. We have a great young project in Vargas. We have our talisman in Shanks. Wouldn't hurt to have a solid, proven pro in there.

I’m with you.  I don’t think rangers want him, certainly not enough to pay the fee we will still want with little resale value

i think he lacks the key attribute they are looking for in the championship.  Pace. 

I think shanks will sign a contract. 

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RustyRightPeg

• Pasquale for King

• Batistuta87

• kingantti1874

spacerjoe
1 hour ago, CMc said:

That’s true for the percentiles, but the goals and assists per 90 are absolute. As is the shot accuracy. In all three his numbers were better that season than Shanks’ has this season. 

Obviously, doesn’t take into account shot difficulty, etc - and the fact Shanks has scored some worldies. 

Again, not saying he’d be a starter, but given the right conditions, he knows where the goal is. I’d consider him for a poaching role off the bench. 

If you look at that season you've pulled the stats from, Anderson rarely makes it to 90 mins. Most of the time subbed after around 65 mins.

His stats aren't comparable to Shanklands who has basically never been subbed.

Of course, you can say 'its still a better goals per min ratio', but the fact is Shankland is left on the pitch no matter how badly he or the team are playing, in the hope he'll pull something out of the hat. See the last two games for reference.

His shooting accuracy that season was pretty incredible, I'll give you that though.

Watt-Zeefuik
2 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

I’m with you.  I don’t think rangers want him, certainly not enough to pay the fee we will still want with little resale value

i think he lacks the key attribute they are looking for in the championship.  Pace. 

I think shanks will sign a contract. 

The way I think he gets sold is if he goes off for 2-3 goals in the Euros. In which case we'll get a lovely fee and he'll get an excellent move.

Aside from that, I don't see it happening. I'm sure some clubs will come sniffing around but not the level that he wants and not the value that we want.

Pasquale for King
4 hours ago, johnking123 said:

We get way more than that 😄

£10 to Big Hearts if that ever happens?

gregzy2k7
1 hour ago, Watt-Zeefuik said:

The way I think he gets sold is if he goes off for 2-3 goals in the Euros. In which case we'll get a lovely fee and he'll get an excellent move.

Aside from that, I don't see it happening. I'm sure some clubs will come sniffing around but not the level that he wants and not the value that we want.

Yeah I agree,

Unless he has an outstanding euros and fires in a few goals for scotland then i honestly can't see anyone paying what hearts would want for him in the summer, especially when they could pick him up on a pre contract for nothing a few months later, unless it's silly money from a Saudi club or a premier league team, He will be going nowhere imo.

The good thing is that he definitely won't be going to Rangers in the Summer, that's a certainty.

Skacelsid
16 hours ago, Batistuta87 said:

Anyone useful in the Championship? 

Couple of young lads have caught my eye in the admittedly quite limited time I've spent watching the Championship this season - but Cameron Harper at Inverness (R/LB) and Kai Fotheringham (Winger) at Dundee Utd have looked decent. Thought the Airdrie keeper had a great game against Dundee Utd as well. 

Feel like we could use a couple of players in that sort of U23 age bracket to bulk out the squad a bit with a European run to get through.  

Agreed, of course we should be looking at the Championship for young talent especially if that player/players is playing regularly in the first team. It is a higher than B team level. All good players start somewhere. Being able to spot talent and potential is the key.

Baxfee

When do our pre-contract signings officially become ours and we see the scarf above the heid? I’m assuming season ends and then it kicks in? 

soonbe110
3 minutes ago, Baxfee said:

When do our pre-contract signings officially become ours and we see the scarf above the heid? I’m assuming season ends and then it kicks in? 

The day after their current contracts end I’d imagine. 

boag1874
23 minutes ago, Baxfee said:

I believe Scottish player contracts tend to end on 1st June but I might be wrong

johnking123
4 minutes ago, boag1874 said:

I believe Scottish player contracts tend to end on 1st June but I might be wrong

You are correct. England a month later.

boag1874
4 minutes ago, johnking123 said:

You are correct. England a month later.

Thought so cheers

Chimp
17 hours ago, Batistuta87 said:

Nobody did, and he hasn't done since. That's how good he was. 

Exactly 👍

Chimp
13 hours ago, soonbe110 said:

Yep, I’d expect a few Beni/Cochrane type signings as well as a couple of names. Good experience in EPL premier u21 and u23. 

Said it before but I think that's the market I think we should be shopping in often. Players who have come through EPL academies, been in and around the first team but haven't quite broken through or lost their way a little bit. Guys that want to prove themselves and get first team experience elsewhere to improve their game. There will be so many more Beni's and Cochrane's out there. 

Jim Panzee
16 minutes ago, Chimp said:

Said it before but I think that's the market I think we should be shopping in often. Players who have come through EPL academies, been in and around the first team but haven't quite broken through or lost their way a little bit. Guys that want to prove themselves and get first team experience elsewhere to improve their game. There will be so many more Beni's and Cochrane's out there. 

agree with this and hopefully the attraction of European games will sway some of these guys.

Chimp
7 minutes ago, Jim Panzee said:

agree with this and hopefully the attraction of European games will sway some of these guys.

You'd like to think so. That, plus extra money behind us now I can see us making a few cracking signings in the summer.

Batistuta87
2 hours ago, Chimp said:

2 hours ago, Jim Panzee said:

Hunners of them: 

Kieron Bowie ST (Fulham, loan)

Lewis Richardson ST (Burnley, loan)

Kaide Gordon RW/LW (Liverpool, loan)

Lewis Dobbin RW/LW (Everton, loan)

Sonny Perkins AM (Leeds, loan)

Diego Moreira RW/LW (Chelsea, loan)

Kayky RW/LW (Man City, loan)

Luke Thomas LB (Leicester, loan)

Alex Robertson CM (Man City, loan)

Liam Delap ST (Man City, loan)

Andy Irving CM (West Ham, loan) <--- would we take him if offered?

Gavin Kilkenny DM (Bournemouth, bosman)

Jamal Lowe ST (Bournemouth, bosman)

Will Dennis GK (Bournemouth, bosman)

Emiliano Marcondes (Bournemouth, bosman) <--- would be hilarious 

Kyle John RB (Everton, bosman)

Jamie Shackleton RB/LB  (Leeds, bosman)

Tyrese Francois CM (Fulham, bosman)

Darko Churlinov AM (Burnley, bosman)

Lewis Fiorini CM (Man City, bosman)

Louie Barry RW/LW (Aston Villa, bosman/dev fee)

Ben Chrisene LB/LW (Aston Villa, bosman/dev fee)

Malcolm Ebowi RW/LW (Palace, bosman/dev fee)

Filip Stevanovic RW/LW (Man City, bosman/dev fee)

Scott Banks RW/LW (Palace, bosman/dev fee)

Alex Mighten RW/LW (Forest, bosman/dev fee)

Josh Bowler RW/LW (Forest, bosman)

Loic Soh CB (Forest, bosman)

This was just from taking a quick look. Could probably filter it down a lot more depending on earnings but no idea what anyone is earning and appreciate some might be on mega money. 

Jim Panzee
21 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

Hunners of them: 

This was just from taking a quick look. Could probably filter it down a lot more depending on earnings but no idea what anyone is earning and appreciate some might be on mega money. 

Of those two I'd take:

Lewis Dobbin. Then if he turns out to be shit, we can't complain at signing a donkey.

and

Jamie Shackleton. As above, if he's not very mobile it could offer up some armchair style jokes.

TheBigO
On 30/04/2024 at 10:06, RustyRightPeg said:

I'm convinced folk don't actually understand (or take into account) the difference in the circumstances from then to now. That was arguably the worst Hearts team in recent history, and he was shoe horned into that role because we had absolutely nobody else worthy of playing there. Add to that he played about 120 minutes total in that position, before getting injured and the season curtailing.

Fast forward to 2024, we have adequate midfielders, playing in the correct position & we're even looking to improve them!!  Four years later they're still bringing it up. 

I like Sibbick, he seems like an integral and popular member of the changing room. His turnaround in form last season was fantastic and his derby goal gave me a memory for life, but it makes me uneasy trying to think about him taking the ball in the same areas Beni does and not lose it.

That's well put.

While I famously hate the notion of players having a "position", and either despair or chuckle when a guy plays well and folk still moan he's "out of position"* (see Cochrane in midfield, or Kingsley at CH, or even Gino up front for a long time - but he's a WIIIINNNGGGUUUUUUR), I think the notion of taking Toby and making him the linchpin of our midfield is mad.  He's a lad who can do a job in there when we need, perhaps from the bench to add some dig and athleticism if the game calls for it, the idea we'd rest any hopes on him in there is simply crazy.

I've no issue if Toby stays, I really like the lad.  Though having been a huge fan, I am now coming round to the unfortunate realisation he may not realise his full potential and always be a bit of a bit part player who can fit a few positions.  But hey, if Toby is the standard of our new Halliday, that doesn't seem too bad.

What we need in our midfield is someone with more control, someone a bit more progressive, even from the deep position.  Beni CAN do it.  Hof can certainly do it.  Even if Beni stays though, I'd like another.  A run all day and drive us forward type midfielder.

*great example of this is Cam being labelled a DM and everyone's current shock that he played so well in a box to box, or more advanced role last week.  Who says he's a DM - he's done most of his good work for us in the opposition half in his time with us!  But we love chucking DM next to a guy's name.  Hof is getting it too - he's a DM apparently too.  They're both just Ms!

Chillidigits
20 hours ago, Watt-Zeefuik said:

Yep, and he had an excellent 90 minutes at midfield in one single game where an OF team went to sleep on us because they were playing a shit team they thought they could sleepwalk to beating. We played out of our gourds that day and surprised them but that's the kind of thing that just happens in football, it doesn't mean he was made to be a DM.

He has also had absolutely outstanding outings at CH, the kind that make you excited for his potential. And 97% of his minutes on the field, he's very, very good. And then for those other 3%, which show up when you never expect them, he makes absolutely catastrophic mistakes.

And indeed when he played midfield this season, the same thing largely held, except that he wasn't particularly outstanding there and also made a couple of bad mistakes.

This form has been 100% consistent through his time here, admittedly with ups and downs in his overall play due evidently to his confidence level. But that's what we get with him—an outstanding athlete with very good skills and a great attitude who will almost always give you good play except when he makes horrible mistakes at the worst times.

Moving him around on the pitch isn't going to solve that. The one position where it wouldn't be an enormous problem and where he might do well is at striker. If we want to try him somewhere, let's give that a go.

Yeah he could do the same job that Roy Barry did for us in season 1964/65. Does that ring a bell with anyone ?

bairdy
33 minutes ago, Chillidigits said:

Yeah he could do the same job that Roy Barry did for us in season 1964/65. Does that ring a bell with anyone ?

I remember Roy.

Hansel
16 hours ago, spacerjoe said:

If you look at that season you've pulled the stats from, Anderson rarely makes it to 90 mins. Most of the time subbed after around 65 mins.

His stats aren't comparable to Shanklands who has basically never been subbed.

Of course, you can say 'its still a better goals per min ratio', but the fact is Shankland is left on the pitch no matter how badly he or the team are playing, in the hope he'll pull something out of the hat. See the last two games for reference.

His shooting accuracy that season was pretty incredible, I'll give you that though.

I wonder if Anderson not making it to 90 minutes is because he has diabetes. Think that was the case with Allan when he was at Hibs he would tire early and need subbed.

Watt-Zeefuik
2 hours ago, TheBigO said:

That's well put.

While I famously hate the notion of players having a "position", and either despair or chuckle when a guy plays well and folk still moan he's "out of position"* (see Cochrane in midfield, or Kingsley at CH, or even Gino up front for a long time - but he's a WIIIINNNGGGUUUUUUR), I think the notion of taking Toby and making him the linchpin of our midfield is mad.  He's a lad who can do a job in there when we need, perhaps from the bench to add some dig and athleticism if the game calls for it, the idea we'd rest any hopes on him in there is simply crazy.

I've no issue if Toby stays, I really like the lad.  Though having been a huge fan, I am now coming round to the unfortunate realisation he may not realise his full potential and always be a bit of a bit part player who can fit a few positions.  But hey, if Toby is the standard of our new Halliday, that doesn't seem too bad.

What we need in our midfield is someone with more control, someone a bit more progressive, even from the deep position.  Beni CAN do it.  Hof can certainly do it.  Even if Beni stays though, I'd like another.  A run all day and drive us forward type midfielder.

*great example of this is Cam being labelled a DM and everyone's current shock that he played so well in a box to box, or more advanced role last week.  Who says he's a DM - he's done most of his good work for us in the opposition half in his time with us!  But we love chucking DM next to a guy's name.  Hof is getting it too - he's a DM apparently too.  They're both just Ms!

Good post and 100% on the "out of position" nonsense. The first year after promotion we had an absolutely elite back 3 with Kingsley, Halkett, and Souttar, with all three performing absolutely excellently. Kingsley was our second leading scorer and Cochrane was doing quite well at LWB. When all three were playing our defence was every bit as good as the OF's.

And yet a certain segment WOULD NOT SHUT UP about Kingsley being out of position, even when we were piling up wins and he was one of the best performers on the pitch. Like, it's working great, why are you complaining so much?

Batistuta87
34 minutes ago, Hansel said:

I wonder if Anderson not making it to 90 minutes is because he has diabetes. Think that was the case with Allan when he was at Hibs he would tire early and need subbed.

Might do. He should be well controlled being a pro footballer, but he will still have hugely debilitating ups and downs. 

TheBigO
26 minutes ago, Watt-Zeefuik said:

Good post and 100% on the "out of position" nonsense. The first year after promotion we had an absolutely elite back 3 with Kingsley, Halkett, and Souttar, with all three performing absolutely excellently. Kingsley was our second leading scorer and Cochrane was doing quite well at LWB. When all three were playing our defence was every bit as good as the OF's.

And yet a certain segment WOULD NOT SHUT UP about Kingsley being out of position, even when we were piling up wins and he was one of the best performers on the pitch. Like, it's working great, why are you complaining so much?

Yup.  If a guy has the attributes to play a position well AND ACTUALLY DOES IT then what it say his position is on a computer game or a website is totally irrelevant!

I reffed Gino.  The guy was a great CF but right until the end he was a "winger playing up front".  We need to sign a real CF was the cry of many.  Whit!?

Batistuta87
18 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Yup.  If a guy has the attributes to play a position well AND ACTUALLY DOES IT then what it say his position is on a computer game or a website is totally irrelevant!

I reffed Gino.  The guy was a great CF but right until the end he was a "winger playing up front".  We need to sign a real CF was the cry of many.  Whit!?

100% 🤣

Stoap forcing square pegs intae round holes! Move Sibbick to DM first though eh!

Gordons left glove

Wonder if this includes us?

Screenshot_20240501-170913.png

Watt-Zeefuik

💯

johnking123

Got turned into a inside forward. Not centre forward at the end 😉

Ricardo Quaresma
24 minutes ago, Gordons left glove said:

Looks quite a unit, wonder what we think of him, he'll have certainly been looked at

31 minutes ago, Gordons left glove said:

The only Scottish teams will be Edinburgh Rugby and Glasgow Warriors

Jambo61
10 hours ago, Baxfee said:

Thought they had a month after the season end as holiday pay?

kingantti1874
59 minutes ago, Gordons left glove said:

Hes hopeless so I hope not

Ricardo Quaresma
25 minutes ago, Rods said:

The only Scottish teams will be Edinburgh Rugby and Glasgow Warriors

Umm... did you forget the punchline? 🙂

Watt-Zeefuik
53 minutes ago, johnking123 said:

Got turned into a inside forward. Not centre forward at the end 😉

He was a forward when he arrived and he was a forward at the end. I think fussing over exactly where he played along the front as his "true position" is of limited value.

FarmerTweedy
On 28/04/2024 at 17:32, johnking123 said:

Most likely.  But this is the quality we should be aiming for.

No, we should be aiming for the sort of quality we have at least an earthly of actually being able to get!

Takeshi kovac
8 hours ago, Batistuta87 said:

Hunners of them: 

If Lewis Fiorini is available on a Bosman we should jump at it, Scott Banks was doing well for Palace in EPL2 would defo take him as well

Batistuta87
Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, Takeshi kovac said:

If Lewis Fiorini is available on a Bosman we should jump at it, Scott Banks was doing well for Palace in EPL2 would defo take him as well

Fiorini won't be short of offers I wouldn't think, and he would cost a development fee - which is likely to be too much for us considering he's a Man City youth. Would be some coup though you're right. 

Edited by Batistuta87

johnking123
9 hours ago, Batistuta87 said:

Hunners of them: 

Jamie Shackleton would be some signing. We where after Alex Mighten couple of seasons ago. Went to forrest.  Been crap since.

Sherbet
9 hours ago, Chillidigits said:

Is there not a story why we sold him.  

jambo-in-furness
24 minutes ago, Sherbet said:

Is there not a story why we sold him.  

If there is, I’d like to know it!   Always vexed me as to why he left us.

maltese jambo
16 hours ago, Batistuta87 said:

Hunners of them: 

Seeing Andy Irvines name there really highlights the fact our youth setup and player development has been absolutely atrocious 

gorgierulesapply88
On 01/05/2024 at 02:16, gregzy2k7 said:

Yeah I agree,

Unless he has an outstanding euros and fires in a few goals for scotland then i honestly can't see anyone paying what hearts would want for him in the summer, especially when they could pick him up on a pre contract for nothing a few months later, unless it's silly money from a Saudi club or a premier league team, He will be going nowhere imo.

The good thing is that he definitely won't be going to Rangers in the Summer, that's a certainty.

Nisbet left hibs for 2million?

gregzy2k7
Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, gorgierulesapply88 said:

Yep,

Thats hibs though,

Hearts are not selling Shankland for 2 million, I would be surprised if Hearts sold Shankland for anything under 4 million in the Summer.

The Fact is, He is worth more than that to Hearts next season, as we chase another 3rd place finish and all the financial rewards that come along with that.

Edited by gregzy2k7

LarrysRightFoot
3 hours ago, gorgierulesapply88 said:

Not sure if this is a wind up but I’ll bite. Nisbet’s fee isn’t even £1m. 

LarrysRightFoot
10 hours ago, Batistuta87 said:

Fiorini won't be short of offers I wouldn't think, and he would cost a development fee - which is likely to be too much for us considering he's a Man City youth. Would be some coup though you're right. 

Is there not a cross border rule? Think Celtic used it to get Dembele for peanuts. Not saying that means we would get Florini btw. 

Bob Loblaw
1 hour ago, LarrysRightFoot said:

Is there not a cross border rule? Think Celtic used it to get Dembele for peanuts. Not saying that means we would get Florini btw. 

There is, compensation is definitely less. It's why we got Sean Clare as well as the fee was much less for us than teams in England.

Batistuta87
Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, johnking123 said:

Jamie Shackleton would be some signing. We where after Alex Mighten couple of seasons ago. Went to forrest.  Been crap since.

Shackleton would be class. He's a great wee player. Another who will probably have plenty interest down south. Wasn't Mighten going to be on loan from Nottingham Forrest but he went somewhere else? Preston maybe? Or Boro? Can't quite remember. I don't think he turned us down for Forrest. 

5 hours ago, maltese jambo said:

Seeing Andy Irvines name there really highlights the fact our youth setup and player development has been absolutely atrocious 

Inclined to agree but Irving wasn't playing that well and also just fancied going abroad and that was that I think. He hired a new German agent mid-season and everything so think his cards were on the table pretty early. Still. He went for £0. I'd really like to get Rocco Friel tied down for this very reason. Yes we'll get compo if he goes to Derby or whoever but it'll be peanuts compared to what he could potentially net us a couple of years down the line. 

1 hour ago, LarrysRightFoot said:

There is aye, but Man City are a top level club so we'd be talking about the top top rate, whatever that is. 

Edited by Batistuta87

Chimp
1 minute ago, Agentjambo said:

Karamoko Dembele

Already mentioned him earlier in the thread.

Batistuta87
Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

Hes hopeless so I hope not

He's only 21 or 22 and remember Aberdeen have been an absolute basket case of a club this season so he never really got going. He was great against Killie in the cup and against Celtic as well. There's a player in there. Ireland and USMNT are fighting over him for international representation. He has a great engine and work rate and can play anywhere in midfield. Appreciate its only Shrewsbury but he was immense for them and I think won their POTY. I'd be pretty happy if we're signing him. He honestly reminds me of Darren Fletcher or Scott McTominay. 

Edited by Batistuta87

• davemclaren changed the title to Summer 24 Transfers - Vargas signs 5 year deal ( updated/merged )