Steve Wright - Radio Legend

Robbo-Jambo

Robbo-Jambo

Passed away at the age of 69.

RIP

Edited by Robbo-Jambo

Carl Fredrickson

Loved listening to his show on R1 in my teems. 

Liked his Friday afternoon show on R2 but hadnt heard it for a few years. 

RiP

been here before

Mr Spoons, Diamond Geezer, Keith and Mick, Sid the manager, old woman, Mr Angry etc.

All amusing way back when.

One of the first in this country to have the "Zoo" format on his show.

Really good broadcaster. His R1 afternoon show in the 90's and 00's was excellent.

Very sad news

Edited by Serge

I P Knightley
4 minutes ago, been here before said:

Mr Spoons, Diamond Geezer, Keith and Mick, Sid the manager, old woman, Mr Angry etc.

What was the name of the cinema listings announcer? Was that Sid?

Sadly, I don't think Steve looked after himself so well in recent years. 

been here before
2 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

What was the name of the cinema listings announcer? Was that Sid?

Sadly, I don't think Steve looked after himself so well in recent years. 

Sid was his 'manager' "awight boy". Cant mind who thecwee pervy cooo-eee character was.

John Findlay

Sorry to hear this. Always listened to his R1 show in the 80s. RIP Steve.

Steve Wright in the Afternoon was a great programme. So shocked to hear he has died. 

That’s really sad.  I loved his shows on Radio 1 and Radio 2

One of my favourites was ‘Voice-over Man’

luckyBatistuta

Sad news that, a big part of my youth. Loved listening to him at my work.

RIP Radio 1 Legend

If carlsberg did rivals...

Such a shame, I loved his radio one afternoon show in the 90's. RIP

ToadKiller Dog

Always had his afternoon show on when bunking off school .

Down the pan Daleks and capt fishy. 

Rip Steve Wright. 

Rupert Pupkin
2 hours ago, been here before said:

Sid was his 'manager' "awight boy". Cant mind who thecwee pervy cooo-eee character was.

Laverne was it not..? Seems to ring a bell.. “Call an ambleeance and make sure it’s equipped with a spatchleeur” 

Lone Striker

He was a unqiue radio presenter.   First heard him on Radio Luxemburg in the 70s, and loved listening to him on R1 and R2 ever since - some classic radio comedy from the characters, especially  Sid the Manager's incoherent  phone calls.    Good serious interviewer too.

Pics of Steve in these last few years  seemed to  suggest  he was suffering from something - he looked bloated & overweight.

RIP radio legend

Benny Klack

Sad news - always came across as a top guy and never was one to flaunt his celebrity.

Radio man through and through - he’ll be missed. 

4 hours ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

Passed away at the age of 69.

RIP

Reminds me of my young working life.

Mr Angry etc .

Life really is short but sweet

SwindonJambo

I enjoyed his afternoon show in the 80s and early 90s. Made it all sound easy but clearly it isn't. RIP.  

Hagar the Horrible

I was going through the radio schedule for the 80's 2 things that brought back so many memories were Simon Bates "our tune", when work just stopped to hear the sad stories,  Then being brightened by Steve Wright in the afternoon.

I stopped listening to Radio One once Simon Mayo took over the breakfast show, and it was all down to a comment when they (Simons crew"  blagged tickets to go and see Fleetwood Mac, and they came out with this comment......"where did they pick up that weird drummer from?"  yeah The drummer from Fleetwood Mac, Where did they get Mick Fleetwood the drummer from? A band who were outselling the Stones and the Beatles during the Peter Green era.  So I found other local radio stations and today realised I haven't heard Radio One for 34 years.

I looked at the schedule through the years 80's in particular, Bruno, DLT, John Peel, Peter Powell, David Jensen etc,  So I looked today and only came across one or two names I have heard off, but never heard their shows!  , Adele who was in Big Brother, Pete Tong for 30 mins at 3 in the morning (still going thankfully).  But Some guy called Greg James on the Breakfast show and an idiot on the Steve Wright show, Jordan who was in the Jungle.

Radio One today makes me mourn the loss even more of proper DJ's  like Steven Wright.

All I can say is in fondness of his memory, in the voice of David Bowie...."for God sake Steve play us another record"!

I P Knightley
25 minutes ago, Hagar the Horrible said:

I stopped listening to Radio One once Simon Mayo took over the breakfast show, and it was all down to a comment when they (Simons crew"  blagged tickets to go and see Fleetwood Mac, and they came out with this comment......"where did they pick up that weird drummer from?"  yeah The drummer from Fleetwood Mac, Where did they get Mick Fleetwood the drummer from? A band who were outselling the Stones and the Beatles during the Peter Green era.  So I found other local radio stations and today realised I haven't heard Radio One for 34 years.

I'd never heard that story. 

Thing is, I can imagine one of Steve Wright's comedy characters saying exactly that. 

One significant difference between Wright and the morons you mention who currently populate Radio 1 is that he was passionate and knowledgeable about the music. Maybe not the same tastes as me but he was in it for the music and the entertainment and not, simply, to be a celebrity. 

I was in the studio for a recording of Never Mind the Buzzcocks (might have been Have I Got News for You) where Wright was a guest. He looked deeply uncomfortable with the medium of TV and gave the producers a real headache of how to edit the recording into a show that didn't look as though it was one team member short. A full-on Radio Star who, for some reason or other, was wary of Video :D .

Edited by I P Knightley

Hagar the Horrible
1 hour ago, I P Knightley said:

Thing is, I can imagine one of Steve Wright's comedy characters saying exactly that. 

One significant difference between Wright and the morons you mention who currently populate Radio 1 is that he was passionate and knowledgeable about the music. Maybe not the same tastes as me but he was in it for the music and the entertainment and not, simply, to be a celebrity. 

I was in the studio for a recording of Never Mind the Buzzcocks (might have been Have I Got News for You) where Wright was a guest. He looked deeply uncomfortable with the medium of TV and gave the producers a real headache of how to edit the recording into a show that didn't look as though it was one team member short. A full-on Radio Star who, for some reason or other, was wary of Video :D .

He never looked comfortable on TOTP either,  But I rate him as the GOAT of Radio 

Jim_Duncan
15 hours ago, been here before said:

No-one sending thoughts to anyone? Family, friends, colleagues?

I used all mine up at the funeral for your sense of humour. 

Seymour M Hersh

At 69 I was surprised to see he was survived by his dad. RIP Steve you were a radio presenting trendsetter in this country.  

Tommy Brown
1 hour ago, I P Knightley said:

I always said that he had the face for radio.

Never worked for him on the screen, a really good radio DJ to listen to though.

been here before
27 minutes ago, Jim_Duncan said:

I used all mine up at the funeral for your sense of humour. 

Sorry for your loss Jim, sending thoughts and prayers.

Jim_Duncan
3 minutes ago, been here before said:

Thanks hun. Puts it all in perspective. 

I P Knightley
20 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

I always said that he had the face for radio.

Never worked for him on the screen, a really good radio DJ to listen to though.

Absolutely the case but it was more than just that; he honestly couldn't make the medium work for him, he seemed crippled with fear and uncertainty. I've never seen anything like it, especially from such a well-known name, famous for being a presenter and for his wit. That cheese, to the chalk of him on the radio, was astounding. 

10 minutes ago, been here before said:

It's no age at all. 

jimbojambo

I loved his ask Elvis and DJ Silly Boy. I can't believe he's gone as he was still brilliant on the radio. RIP Wrighty 

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo

I still remember the words to his Diamond Geezer jingle.

Pretty sure when he played Blue Monday it was the first time I ever heard it.

Maybe it's grumpy old man syndrome but can only echo what @I P Knightleyand @Hagar the Horrible have already stated in that the DJ's from the 80's were invariably extremely knowledgeable about the music we listened to. As much as I can't stand Mike Read, he had, and more than likely has added to, an incredibly large record collection. Peter Powell and the likes of Johnnie Walker were the same, with Steve Wright falling into the same category. Today's mob seem to be in it for celebrity status only (not that I've listened to Radio 1 recently. Last time was nearly 30 years ago and that utter bellend Chris Moyles that was presenting, it was brutal). There's a reason why Radio 2 and the likes of Radio 6 Music has a much larger listening audience than Radio 1 these days. Decent sounds and less chat. RIP Steve.

On 13/02/2024 at 17:25, been here before said:

You forgot “ask elvis” nearly crashed the car a few times I was laughing so hard

RIP Steve 

maroondevo52

Used to listen to him all the time when I was self-employed, remember him playing songs that were not hits but he thought they should have been, Goodbye Mr Mackenzie's The Rattler being one..