Dougray Scott: Bringing Football Home

Tazio

Just spotted this programme is on BBC1 after the news. All about how Scotland changed how football was played with introducing the passing game etc. I wonder if the utter helmet will sneak in a bit about Hibs changing South American football? 

been here before

Hit the reply button too soon...

Recorded it last night and watched it earlier.

Was ok, nithing hugely new in it we havent heard before, usual talking heads such as Archie McPherson and Cosgrove although the bit with Jim McCalliog was good.

The Brazil/Argentinian connection certainly gets a mention although lacks any warrior poet input.

From an Edinburgh perspective John Hope also gets a brief mention and as an aside I would thouroughly recommend this book about him.

81yJKkPgEsL._AC_UF10001000_QL80_FMwebp_.thumb.webp.18253e6f39534a6165de89ca880eb4be.webp

And auld Dougrays mouser...

Edited by been here before

1 minute ago, been here before said:

Was ok, nithing hugely new in it we havent heard before, usual talking heads such as Archie McPherson and Cosgrove although the bit with Jim McCalliog was good.

I’ve just watched the bit with the historian girl at Stirling, quite the creepy look he was giving her. 

Fort Vallance

Standing in the centre circle at Hampden saying it was beautiful. It was empty. The whole ground, not just one end.

Hungry hippo

I thought it was a really good programme. I was far more interested in the old stories,  footage and the interviews than the stuff about arguing over who invented football though.

Go for it 1308
1 hour ago, davemclaren said:

I thought Dougray was a star at Hampden in 2012 - especially after the match. 

IMG_4486.jpeg

The pain....

default_smugqq (1).png

dannymack

As predicted... West Coast influences from start to finish. 

Despite Queens Park being deservedly being mentioned there was absolutely zero mentioning of the 'other' teams that were around for those first 30 years of Scottish Football. 

These programmes/documentaries need money thrown at them and dragged out over half a dozen or more episodes. 

So much to be disclosed, explained and simply brought to the attention of every fan that wishes to listen/watch on the history/origins of Scottish Football. 

PortyBeach
5 hours ago, dannymack said:

As predicted... West Coast influences from start to finish. 

Despite Queens Park being deservedly being mentioned there was absolutely zero mentioning of the 'other' teams that were around for those first 30 years of Scottish Football. 

These programmes/documentaries need money thrown at them and dragged out over half a dozen or more episodes. 

So much to be disclosed, explained and simply brought to the attention of every fan that wishes to listen/watch on the history/origins of Scottish Football. 

👏 Well said, Danny.

PortyBeach
8 hours ago, been here before said:

Hit the reply button too soon...

The Brazil/Argentinian connection certainly gets a mention although lacks any warrior poet input.

From an Edinburgh perspective John Hope also gets a brief mention and as an aside I would thouroughly recommend this book about him.

81yJKkPgEsL._AC_UF10001000_QL80_FMwebp_.thumb.webp.18253e6f39534a6165de89ca880eb4be.webp

And auld Dougrays mouser...

Thanks for this. I’ve been meaning to buy this book for ages, so this is a welcome reminder! 
So, when we say football’s “coming home”…?

Jamstomorrow

I didn't see it, but I would have thought with so many 'firsts' in football, h1b5 would get a big mention.

Cheers, will check it out. 

But concerned about Scott presenting it, as I've never seen him in anything where he didn't ruin it with his ridiculous overacting. 

3 minutes ago, Craig_ said:

But concerned about Scott presenting it, as I've never seen him in anything where he didn't ruin it with his ridiculous overacting. 

He almost managed to ruin Thandi Newton for me ……….. almost

That over emphasised Edinburgh accent he does in Crime has made it unwatchable for me 

2 minutes ago, Sooks said:

He almost managed to ruin Thandi Newton for me ……….. almost

That over emphasised Edinburgh accent he does in Crime has made it unwatchable for me 

Yep, that was the first thing that sprang to mind. Have lived in or around Edinburgh my entire life and have never heard anyone speak like that!

1 minute ago, Craig_ said:

Yep, that was the first thing that sprang to mind. Have lived in or around Edinburgh my entire life and have never heard anyone speak like that!

It totally grates on me . It is a shame actually because I quite liked the book and people who have managed to suffer through his terrible acting tell me the series is decent apart from that 

been here before
11 minutes ago, Craig_ said:

I thought he sounded a bit punchy or parkinsonian.

John Findlay
2 hours ago, Jamstomorrow said:

I didn't see it, but I would have thought with so many 'firsts' in football, h1b5 would get a big mention.

Hibs got one mention, as Easter Road held the first ever women's international match.

Still Game

Putting Dougray to the side, I watched most of the show and felt a little embarrassed as I knew nothing of Rose Reilly. She had been banned from playing professional football in Scotland so made her name in France and Italy. She won several league titles. In fact, in the 1978-79 season she played for Lecce in Serie A on a Saturday then flew to Riems to play in the French league on Sundays and won both championships! She won several cups, golden boots, world footballer of the year in 1983, and the 1984 Women's World Cup playing for Italy. She was adored in Italy. Simply amazing and all news to me. She was inducted into the SFA Hall of Fame in 2007 and quite right too.

12 minutes ago, Still Game said:

Putting Dougray to the side, I watched most of the show and felt a little embarrassed as I knew nothing of Rose Reilly. She had been banned from playing professional football in Scotland so made her name in France and Italy. She won several league titles. In fact, in the 1978-79 season she played for Lecce in Serie A on a Saturday then flew to Riems to play in the French league on Sundays and won both championships! She won several cups, golden boots, world footballer of the year in 1983, and the 1984 Women's World Cup playing for Italy. She was adored in Italy. Simply amazing and all news to me. She was inducted into the SFA Hall of Fame in 2007 and quite right too.

I met her last year as there was a theatre show all about her and she came to watch it and do a Q&A with the audience. She's quite scary. 

davemclaren
1 minute ago, Tazio said:

I met her last year as there was a theatre show all about her and she came to watch it and do a Q&A with the audience. She's quite scary. 

She would need to be a pretty formidable person to do what she did given the challenges she faced. 

Percival King
1 hour ago, Still Game said:

There was a BBC Scotland series in the past couple of years about icons of Scottish football and had episodes on the likes Paul Sturrock and Charlie Nicholas. There was one on Rose Reilly. It’s an interesting story and she had some career but a sign of the times re.how she was treated in her own country. 

pettigrewsstylist
14 hours ago, davemclaren said:

I thought Dougray was a star at Hampden in 2012 - especially after the match. 

IMG_4486.jpeg

Ooh to, ooh to be, ooh to be a ...🤣🤣

2 hours ago, Still Game said:

Her story has become much better known in recent years, as she has been included in more Scottish football shows.

It is a great story - the only Scottish player to lift a world cup...

I'm sure I read somewhere that Gregory's Girl was (perhaps loosely) inspired by Rose...

Chambie15

Recorded and watched it just now. Thought it was a cracking watch, very interesting with good interviews. Dougray may be a Hibby, but he's really good in this. Two comments from me: First, you can stand in the centre circle of Hampden (I have) or anywhere else for that matter. Beautiful it ain't !!! It's a S****hole. Second, the programme's about how Scotland developed the modern game of football , not England as we get spoon-fed all the time - exploring the evidence to support that. It's wasn't about "West is best", so let's not get the knickers twisted on that. It's a good watch and I recommend to anyone.

Jamstomorrow
7 hours ago, John Findlay said:

Hibs got one mention, as Easter Road held the first ever women's international match.

A Mastermind question if ever I heard one.   

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
3 hours ago, Chambie15 said:

Recorded and watched it just now. Thought it was a cracking watch, very interesting with good interviews. Dougray may be a Hibby, but he's really good in this. Two comments from me: First, you can stand in the centre circle of Hampden (I have) or anywhere else for that matter. Beautiful it ain't !!! It's a S****hole. Second, the programme's about how Scotland developed the modern game of football , not England as we get spoon-fed all the time - exploring the evidence to support that. It's wasn't about "West is best", so let's not get the knickers twisted on that. It's a good watch and I recommend to anyone.

He also referred to the 1882 Scotland win as 6-1, not 5-1. Maybe he's still coming to terms with 2012. :lol:

Greenbank2

Thought it was decent. Bigging up the role of the Scots in the evolution of football and dispelling the "football's coming home" myth. Thought Mr Scott came over as enthusiastic, interested and informative. Yeah we all know he's a "docker" but I thought he relished the opportunity to have something to feel good about.

Thought that the program was good.

Very rarely mentioned the erse cheeks but it was very much about the national game rather than club level. 

Personally always been interested by old terracing so to see some of the old Hampden literally abandoned in the undergrowth was intriguing.  

Archie McPherson certainly has aged, oaft. Living legend no doubt but likely has his fans and haters.

Hungry hippo
36 minutes ago, SecN said:

Thought that the program was good.

Very rarely mentioned the erse cheeks but it was very much about the national game rather than club level. 

Personally always been interested by old terracing so to see some of the old Hampden literally abandoned in the undergrowth was intriguing.  

Archie McPherson certainly has aged, oaft. Living legend no doubt but likely has his fans and haters.

Archie's 87 now. I thought he was looking in great shape for his age.