Cochrane

mr fox

This lad is very promising such a consistent player week on week , a left sided Michael smith. 
I can’t believe we would be looking for 2 million for him. What’s the contract situation cause I would not sell him for a penny less than 5 million. 

gregzy2k7

Great wee player, I think Shankland has taken most of the credit through his goals and great hold up play but I geniunely think that Cochrane alongside Frankie Kent has been outstanding for us this season.

I personally would be gutted if we only got 2 million for him, we should be looking for closer to 4 million.

Yep on a good deal we should not br budging for less than 4/5m when dealing with clubs down south. They see us as easy targets in Scotland. 

cosanostra

Anyone else got the lingering feeling that this will be his last season with us?

On that note, there's been no updates on Penrice for a while. I'm curious what's going on there.

5 minutes ago, cosanostra said:

Anyone else got the lingering feeling that this will be his last season with us?

On that note, there's been no updates on Penrice for a while. I'm curious what's going on there.

Yeah feel there will definitely be at least one bid for him in the summer from a Championship club. Last year of his contract and I reckon we'd accept around £2.5 - 3M. Pennies to clubs down south and a relatively low risk signing. Best we could hope for is a bidding war though so we can demand a bit more for him. Been a great signing and although I'd be sad to see him go it would be good business, paying around £300k to get him and making profits in the millions. Also feel like Cochrane himself will be keen to prove himself at a higher level so I'd imagine it will suit both parties if a bid were to come in.

The boy is a great advert for Hearts.  Both to teams in the EPL - trust us with your players - but also with players in his position - come to us and develop.

I'm not one for selling off our players, in fact, I find it a weird attitude that people instantly chuck values on players.  I'd rather they stay and do well forever!!!  But with a guy who has had Alex's path with us, you know he's part of that shine em up, sell em on strategy almost every team in the world needs to embrace these days.  He's a job well done.

Credit to the boy himself too.  From minute one he was immensely likeable because his attitude is just spot on.  He's a battler, but also you can tell a guy who takes his profession and career very seriously.  Again, bringing this attitude into our club is a shining light for our own academy kids too.

AlimOzturk
20 minutes ago, cosanostra said:

Cochrane will be away in the summer. For a pretty penny as well 3+ million and a sell on clause I would think. 

Byyy The Light

He won’t sign a new contract and I don’t think we’ll get the money talked about on here unfortunately.

JamboM003
26 minutes ago, cosanostra said:

I think there are likely to be a couple of factors.  Wanting to progress his career but also his partner is pregnant so every chance that plays in and wanting to be closer to family etc.  On Penrice, my understanding is we have shown an interest as have other clubs.  He is out of contract at the end of the season so looks like he is taking his time to consider his options which is fair enough.

Why do some fans seem to be in a hurry to sell Alex but not shanks. Alex is one of the main reasons our season is going so well. I would prefer to get him on a longer contract. Love watching him his energy and attitude are infectious. One of my fav players my fav being Franky he has changed our season some of the goals we lost from set plays last season were embarrassing franky has sorted that out and made kye a better player. Shanks gets the headlines but Franky is my player of the season . Oh franky Kent is magic .....

Bull's-eye

Mr Consistent.

I agree with the sentiment on here from a few, this will be his last season with us . . . ☹️

RustyRightPeg

He'll be gone in the summer, sadly.

The positive is, the move has worked for both parties if that's the case. He's come here, played 100+ games at a good level, European experience. Ready for his next step - we cash in. Happy days.

I like Alex as a Hearts player, he’s unfazed by more seasoned players and is always trying to improve his game.

He will be one of those players that we will miss when he’s gone.

Daveandal
8 minutes ago, Albert McFly said:

Like all decent young full backs playing in Scotland he'll end up in Serie A

I'd prefer he did rather than back to England. Good sell on clause and he could make us a few pennies.

Jim_Duncan

All good teams have good full backs. It’s such a key position. If he does leave, replacing him will be every bit as important as replacing Shankland. 

1 hour ago, cosanostra said:

Contract up in 2025, young, promising, English, European experience. No doubt teams will be looking & I definitely don’t want him going for nothing. We’ll get a nice fee for him and it’s good business all round. Bring in young player, develop him, enjoy his performances for a few years and then sell him on for a big profit, that’s exactly how we need to do it.

He can go far. Supremely fit and very consistent. Can play left CB, wingback wide or inverted, CM. Working on his set pieces. We'll get a few bob for him. I'd rather keep him though and get him signed up. 

I'm sure Alex came here to further his career as he wasn't getting the chance at Brighton. He has excelled with us and it's only natural that he wants to play at the highest level possible. I'll be gutted to lose him as players like him are not easily replaced.

I wish he would see out Europe with us first but if he does move them i'm sure the jambo faithful will follow his career with earnest. A fantastic and tidy player with a great engine and when the time comes, he'll be sorely missed. 

hughesie27
3 hours ago, cosanostra said:

This time last year he was planning on leaving us at the end of this season for personal reasons. He is also now expecting a child in the summer so I'd expect him to be looking for a move back down south.

If Hearts keep Shankland this summer, then I think they also should try to up Cochrane and only let him walk for a big offer.

The club is healthy financially. Rangers and Celtic seem less immortal than they did a couple of seasons ago. Why not take one big swing next season, especially with what may be the best European starting spots Hearts will have in the foreseeable future with the coefficient looking iffy?

Take one more run with this core and if it doesn't work, then hit reset.

Ex member of the SaS

Loved his pass to Shanks for the goal, dummied the defender making him think he was going to shoot then slipped the ball square to the penalty spot. He is a great addition to the team and should be playing every game.

Benny Klack
5 hours ago, cosanostra said:

Think he’ll be off in the summer - for a nice few hopefully. He’s been a class act for us but destined for bigger things.

I’d hope Penrice would be a direct replacement 

pettigrewsstylist

Mr Consistency. Last 2 seasons have been superb after a good loan.

Pete Elliott
5 hours ago, Byyy The Light said:

He won’t sign a new contract.

Why not? He’s incredibly happy here and absolutely loves the club.

davie1980

Some of these post read like we're just realising he's a good player.

He's been one of our best performers for ocer 2 & 1/2 years now 

Absolute gem of a player.

Byyy The Light
Just now, Pete Elliott said:

Why not? He’s incredibly happy here and absolutely loves the club.

Agent in his ear trying to maximise his return. Would love him to sign on again, don’t think he wants to leave. Just think that’s the way it will play out. 

10 minutes ago, davie1980 said:

Some of these post read like we're just realising he's a good player.

He's been one of our best performers for ocer 2 & 1/2 years now 

Absolute gem of a player.

Absolutely this.  Yet Neilson apparently told him he wouldn't kick a ball for Hearts again after a falling out, if rumours on here are to be believed. 

Lovecraft

I will be gutted when Cochrane leaves us, regardless of sale price or future sell on fee.

Pete Elliott
1 hour ago, Byyy The Light said:

Agent in his ear trying to maximise his return. Would love him to sign on again, don’t think he wants to leave. Just think that’s the way it will play out. 

Not what I’ve heard.

colinmaroon

First, I love the guy and I hope he signs.  One thing not getting mentioned is that every so often he has stinker, particularly defensively, and I'm not talking about being caught out by the ball over the top, although that was a problem which has been dealt with when Rowles and/orKingsley are playing. Plus, I think that tactically it's less likely with Naismith's formations.  I'm talking about the games where he was really bad and got subbed early.  The one caveat would be that Neilson was boss then???

Byyy The Light
52 minutes ago, Pete Elliott said:

Not what I’ve heard.

🤞🏼 hope you are right

All roads lead to Gorgie

He was a good player when he arrived, now he is very good and it looks like he is eager to get even better. Enjoy him whilst we can and it would be great if we got to see his progress next season as well but that could be down to what offers come which no doubt will happen at the seasons end.

Fozzyonthefence
8 hours ago, AlimOzturk said:

Cochrane will be away in the summer. For a pretty penny as well 3+ million and a sell on clause I would think. 

Not a chance if he only has a year left on his contract by then.  We’ll probably sell him and Shankland for a combined £3m with our board’s previous.

Kirky Jambo

Would have thought he might sign an improved offer with a release clause. 

look at Josh Doig (not a patch on Cochrane imo) - signed a deal and Hibs got £3m plus add ons